Restoring old guns

>"You like guns user? I can give you my old Cooey 16ga for free."
>Pic is what you get

How do I go about restoring this? I probably won't fire it because the pitting looks bad, but I do love my Canadiana. Was recommended to do something like this video
>youtu.be/B2SyN6m39x4
Is converting rust to blueing reasonable for someone who has never done any restoration before?
How much would it cost for a gun Smith to do this?

Attached: received_2272469863022664.jpg (1072x1920, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7lEyjguc41Q
youtu.be/ACGSzBXKONo
milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=43247
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I would NEVER trust that gun. Sure, 16ga is a very low pressure round but with that deep of rusting/pitting you are sure to have some fundamental structural integrity issues with the metal. You can try an electrolysis bath or rust eater if you want it to look nice, but that's a wall hanger at best, user. Please don't blow your hand off.

youtube.com/watch?v=7lEyjguc41Q

Is the pitting actually /that/ bad? I can't see anything serious in that pic.

Idk if you just can't zoom in or what, but if you look closely you can see several parts that have very obvious pitting even with the rust still in-place. Most of the time if there's pitting that obvious while it's dirty, there's much more extensive pitting underneath the dirt and oxidization that is covering the surface. Plus, with that much crap visible in the breech I'd wager it's just as bad if not worse if you were to put a bore light down there and check.

Attached: pitting.jpg (937x980, 144K)

I agree with above user. the safety of limbs and digits are paramount.
Clean it up really nice, repaint and refinish the stock, mount it on your wall as a lovely decorative bit.

Don’t shoot it. It’ll never be as strong as it was. Look into electrolysis rust removal and hope it does a good job. After that, some very light steel wool and vinegar to clean the rest of it up. Reblue and maybe strip and refinish the stock and you’ll have a nice wall hanger.

Use this for rust removing (its acid free).
Possible working when oiled.

Attached: 71-NefgWg9L._SY606_.jpg (455x606, 29K)

Fuck this thread is full of safety Nellys. That fucker is fine. Bust the rust off, check if the pits will harm the integrity of the action (they have to be SUPER deep) and if not refinish and blast away. Finding a gunsmith to rust blue your gun is going to be hard in Canada, expect to pay several times the value of the gun. Try it yourself, you have the perfect project to learn on.

Attached: 57272459-07E5-4D42-86BD-F6F9D551511A.jpg (1242x1271, 334K)

that looks like a perfect candidate to rust blue
this guy sounds like and IDIOT
id of coarse tie a string on the trigger and test it a few times first from a safe distance before i shoulder it, but the rust does not look that bad to me

Just use alumahyde / epoxy grill paint to cover up the metal and bake it in the oven at 350F for an hour. (just make sure you take any springs out though)

>I would NEVER trust that gun
My opinion might change if I had a better look at it, but don't see any reason not to. I'm sure it'll pattern like garbage, but why would it blow up?

What happened to it?
Looks like it's been in salt water.

Take the wood off and soak it in Phosphoric Acid Rust Remover, rinse in hot water.

You'll be able to see how extensive and deep the corrosion went.

Pic related

Attached: download.jpg (320x240, 23K)

i think its salvageable
might change my mind after cleaning and getting a better look but i dont think its an absolute write off yet.

Oh my
So many idiots in this thread who don’t know what they are talking about.

Take the gun apart
Take photos si you can remember how it goes back together.

Remove rust with pic related
Scrub, File, sand and polish metal
If pits are too deep, then leave them
Hone the inside of the barrel

Once the metal is prepped and properly cleaned, degreased then look to blue it.
Remember you will be spending more money to restore that shotgun than what it is worth.
But if you have the money and want to practice then go for it.

Also what does the wood look like?

Attached: 73248A50-2A87-46DA-8D9D-0CC73FECCC4D.jpg (1500x1500, 205K)

>take gun apart
>electrolosis bath for metal frame and stuff
>get replacement parts for rusted out parts (like firing pin and smaller springs)
>follow the midway USA guides for wood
Then everything should be fine after the metal parts get a new finish

This shit looks amazing. 1000 watt laser rust removal.

youtu.be/ACGSzBXKONo

DIY parkerizing is pretty easy too.

>milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=43247

What’s the point? It’s just a shitty single shot meme 16 gauge shotgun.

holy fucking shit thats amazing

>half a million dollars
Lmao
Price gouging klkes
How much do you want to bet that the manufacturing cost is less than 200$?
Let me guess, someone has a patent on this?
Fuck patents.

Im a person in Canada who just fixed and has fired a relic grade lee-enfield with rust worse that that and had no issues. Its fine.

>it’s fine
No it isn’t. The rifling is fucked
The parts don’t fit as tight together anymore
Pitted

the pitting isnt that bad where it matters.

>rifling
>shotgun
>not fine
>shotgun
>RIFLING on a SHOTGUN

BIGthink.png