Naval Rust

Look at the fucking state of USS Gravely in this photo. Part of SNMG1 in the Baltic.

Some rust is obviously to be expected but this is just shocking.

Why are US navy standards slipping? (remember to report Jow Forums tier answers)

Attached: D7MDSsAWsAYx1Z3.jpg (2048x1150, 597K)

Rust is something you constantly battle when dealing with seawater. You'd know that if your navy ever left port.

Yeah.

Because USN ships spend very very very very little time in port and theres no time to deal with it at sea because lol wtf even is a full crew compliment just make everyone do four jobs ontop of their own

> (remember to report Jow Forums tier answers)

Shut up nigger

I was in the Merchant navy. And I've never seen a military or (serious) civilian ship at sea with rust that bad.

Attached: anchoring (1).jpg (640x480, 33K)

that's not even remotely as bad. also that ship has clearly been tied up for a long time.

Guess you're just going to have to try typing "rusty ship" into google to try and beat my own knowledge again.

That US ship has rust in areas that are easily accessible while underway.

>accessible while underway
I'm sure Seaman Buttfuck will get right on that after his eighteen hour shift of doing work not in his rating is over

Attached: 1465936988830.png (571x618, 53K)

Thats literally a seaman's job. If you're not responsible for something your chipping rust and painting all day. thats how you earn your stars.

Fakenews

This is black project quantum stealth coating Made by yours truely only in the U.S.A. How can anyone else ever compete?

Impressive

What the fuck, she's only ten years old!

well if she's old enough....

What do Boatswain mates do, if not exactly that?

>Because USN ships spend very very very very little time in port
>any military ship
>not spending most time in port

I asked my uncle about this a few years ago, he was in the navy from the late 70s until 2005. He said it was a combination of paint being expensive so they wouldn't buy it as well as the paint being harmful to the environment so to appease politicians with that interest they stopped doing it as frequently.

Iron maggots never sleep

Lack of manpower and discipline.

Piss jugs, exercise bands and kettle bells in the bridge. Probably hentai and sharted fatigues as well

So why doesn't the USN make the ship hulls out of non corroding / oxidizing metals, like some top quality stainless steel.

The USN is trying to do too much with too few ships, meaning their ships spend far less time in port than they should. So no maintenance for the ships, no sleep for the crews, and the brass don't give a fuck because it's the captains they've ordered to do the impossible who are responsible when the camel's back snaps.

Most stainless steels would quickly turn out not to be when exposed to the ocean. Really high end "acid proof" grades might deal with it decently, but you're not going to enjoy paying for either buying or welding those. Though the extra alchemize resistance there may demand that you sacrifice some mechanical properties. And even then it's gonna rust sooner or later. For really mission critical shit in proximity to seawater (say, sprinkler system pipes on an oil rig) you go with titanium, and that sure as fuck ain't fitting into any budget ever.

At this rate of decline, how long before the USN joins the "ships catch fire and sinks at dock" club with Russia, India and Argentina?

The paint the Navy uses is absolute shit. Blame the hippies and their precious environment for that one. I've literally sanded down to the shiny bare metal, primed, then painted, and the next day it's already starting to rust again.

I will say, that DDG in the photo is exceptionally bad though. I'd bet last time they were in port they just painted over all the rust spots instead of properly treating it first.

Never, because US damage control is ridiculously top tier.

No doubt. Considering how often they get real life experience from smashing into merchant ships.

Supervise the nonrates who do the actual work.

>US Navy
>Baltic
wtf are they trying to start WW3?
The Russkies will blow them out of water, no doubt.

yeah, with all those surface ships they dont have.

22 trillion dollars in debt means your military is probably gonna be useless. although even then navy has never been the yanks thing.

>debt
you mean those worthless pieces of paper we traded for physical goods for the last 60 years?

America simply... is past their prime.

Attached: 000854sqiom3qq3gqiqiko.jpg (1113x6118, 1.11M)

niggers

Rust doesn't discriminate OP. Even the World's most advanced naval combat ship the USS Independence couldn't avoid it.

Attached: lcs-corrosionjpg-f8c0e8e8e13c41d2.jpg (1946x1192, 521K)

HMS Hermes after the combat in Falklands.

Attached: HMS Hermes.png (1800x873, 1.23M)

You think the ships look bad ? You should see the fat fuck losers in the service.

>spend 20x as much money making a "rust proof ship"

or

>pay a nigger $0.45 / hour to clean the rust off

gee, I wonder which of these things every navy that has ever existed would choose to do

>t. doesn't know shit about .gov debt

Look at what happened to Norway's ship, with what was even iirc less severe damage.

I think you meant to say the worlds most useless naval combat ship.

The LCS could actually be pretty useful for ASW due to its high speed and ample aviation facilities. I suspect that's what they'll end up being used for now that the USN is refocusing on surface warfare.

>Look at what happened to Norway's ship, with what was even iirc less severe damage.
Cant really run damage control when the damn shafts leak in a way that dooms your buoyancy,
Its actually kinda interesting to read the preliminary accident report on it all, just one big clusterfuck

the LCS can't operate in the deep waters where subs actually go mate

hunting subs in shallow seas or coastal areas can be accomplished by literally any ship, or even land-based aircraft

>LCS can't operate in the deep water

retard alert

>(remember to report Jow Forums tier answers)

Attached: 9ta5.png (966x689, 592K)

The USN has manpower problems and cut the maintenance budget. This leads to a poor state of repair.

if you think those ships are bad... the people that are manning them are even worse.

Attached: 1543091517297.jpg (1016x1090, 389K)

Ships arn't the only thing that launches anti-ship missiles

Can anyone tell me how they managed to end up with so many issues? It seems they have maintenance issues (at least to someone uneducated on ships), but also loads of crew-related problems, crashes with cargo ships and so on.

Did they try to cut the budgets too much?

nonessential repair, like making ships look pretty for photo ops

>didnt know how to use them anyway

I-Is this some sort of reverse Chad?

see The 7th fleet has been overworked and the collisions have lead to the USN making changes.

just your run-of-the-mill, established, incompetence.

Attached: 1528156725622.png (1623x1575, 599K)

Haven't they retasked a lot of the 7th fleet out of the Pacific in order to put them on a lower tempo? I think I read that they were switching which carrier groups go where for awhile.

i wonder what kind of boomer takes the time to make those shitty 'redpill' dioramas

>muh debt
The favourite argument of the financially retarded.

Thanks.

Holy shit, what the fuck is that boomer-tier graphic. It looks like something my grandfather would share on facebook before demanding Trump uses the Navy SEALs to find Obama's real birth certificate.

you should go back to plebbit/BLACKED, kiddo.

Attached: 1557939467797.gif (652x562, 457K)

do you talk like that in real life, too?

Bold of you to assume he talks to anyone in real life but the cashier at McDonald's.

link to report?

Poor recruitment totals. Poor retention of qualified sailors.

As an artist it's super easy to tell this is artificially over saturated

Yeah, that pic is pretty blatantly manipulated to highlight the rust. Increased rust on USN ships does seem to be a real thing, though. Not sure how much of a problem it really is beyond making us look like Russia.

This. Why make something more efficient in the long run when you can just pay some monkey to scrub the fucker dry lel

its not really a problem in of itself, but it is a sign of a higher tempo. the USN has been increasing its operations as of recently, so thats probably the cause.

There are actual very good lead an aluminum based paints that prevent rust and fouling, but every time someone comes out with a good new paint the hippies come out in full force and sink it.

>navy has never been the Yanks thing
uh, my negro, surely you do not propose the US gained its status as a world power thanks to its Army, do you?

After all their puny ships were sunk by the superior Kriegsmarine, America was forced to supply England with truck convoys, didn't you know?

It's an international waterway, faggot. The Baltic has been facilitating international sea trade since prehistoric times.

by being opportunistic and making lower quality ships at reduced cost at an attempt to try and appear much stronger than they really were.

That's the issue, it's not actually more efficient in the long run to use more corrosion-resistant metal

You've never been to sea
Months, not just a fucking 2 month in and out, but literally like 9 months at sea with maybe a week in port here or there and any ship will start to look like that. Zinc plates and a needle gun only do so much.
A week in port and it'll look brand fucking new guaranteed

I live in Haifa and work at a store near the naval base where ships from foreign navy's frequent dock, the Chinese navy docks about once a year here with their spotless ships of people in clean uniform.

As soon as the cameras leave a few Chinks will leave port, never the same ones who show upf fr the photo-ops. Those guys leave via airliner out of Ben Gurion, I'm not sure they were even sailors. But you try to talk to the actual sailors and most are rushed away to avoid interacting with locals. Others seem confused and not really know where they are or what they're doing. There are some publicity/political officers you can talk to who are p chill and basically admit that their ships rarely leave port except for photo-ops or publicity media. Overall I got the impression that the Chinese navy is new and fancy but is mostly just paraded for the cameras then rushed back to port.

As soon as the Chinks leave, the US docks its ships to make a statement. The sailors are all these chubby mexican looking men, lots of \women too. However they seem to have more technical and contextual knowledge about their job and there's far less censorship everywhere. They're also a lot more chill and honest and talk about budget cuts and political BS hurting them in recent years. Their ships are rusted and worn but they talk about how they're rarely in port beyond basic refitting. Overall I got the impression that US navy is worn but still knows what it's doing.

One time a Russian ship docked on its way to Syria. It was basically a trashcan on wheels, belching smoke and pollution, and all the soldiers were rowdy drunkards right out of like the 1890s stereotypes of sailors. Were hilarious and really fun to talk to/hang around with.

>As soon as the cameras leave a few Chinks will leave port, never the same ones who show upf fr the photo-ops. Those guys leave via airliner out of Ben Gurion
That's about the most Chinese thing I can imagine. kek

Maybe they could, uh, clean it or something

Corrosion resistant steel is not ship construction material. It isn't as strong, tough, nor easily weldable.
And expensive.

Attached: navy reee.jpg (416x264, 18K)

The Norway ship had Americans on board who panicked and doomed the ship.

Fucking hippies

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 92K)

>seaman
>earning stars
you have no idea what you're talking about

>The USN is trying to do too much with too few ships, meaning their ships spend far less time in port than they should. So no maintenance for the ships, no sleep for the crews, and the brass don't give a fuck because it's the captains they've ordered to do the impossible who are responsible when the camel's back snaps.

That's wrong.

Nice work.

Just type in "Havarirapport Ingstad" in google and you'd get the preliminary version as a pdf. There should be a final report some time later this year i think

Explain how.
(No offence, I'm just itchy about replies that have no reasoning behind them and can be summarised as "no".)

Attached: explain how.png (476x360, 133K)

>superior Kriegsmarine
Delusional wehraboo detected
Yes please tell me about all these other nations' higher tier ships

Yes, a comment talking about the US supplying Britain with trucks instead of ships couldn’t be even remotely sarcastic. Not at all.

I've spent a year continuously at sea, and about 5 years total sea time. Work on cruise ships. let me know when you see them looking like those warships. we're painting them continuously, inside and out, top to bottom, while underway and while in port.

US sailors are generally not sailors, they are just soldiers posted to ships. Far better sailors in the coast guard in my experience.

Attached: ms-oasis-of-the-seas-37401-2560x1600.jpg (2560x1600, 1.13M)

For every day on sea, a military ship is one day at port.

Submarines even have a 1 day sea to 2 days port ratio.

Youre shitposting is weak

Top quality stainless is highly expensive and significantly heavier than the aluminum used in a lot of ship outer hulls, and harder to weld. Ship costs, tonnages, and manufacturing needs would shoot up for specious gains because even stainless will rust if you expose it to seawater long enough.

Why not just coat the exterior in a thick layer of plastic, rubber, or ceramic? Is that not really that sturdy when it comes to wear resistance?

Stainless steel doesn't mean it won't rust; it means it "stains less than regular steel".

yeah but your real world experience means nothing compared to my meme-mastery and my observations of my one and only gun, a nugget, slowly rusting seized since i can never afford to shoot it.

I see rust along the bottom of that cruise ship

The Ameriniggers never heard of galvanic protection?

Jesus.

You see staining from bilge outflow.

Absolutely not

>sharted fatigues as well
kek

You have literally never seen a ship that's been in continuous operation. GTFO noserve

They have heard of it, but realities of their actual ship maintenance doesn't match promotional material in all cases.

The ship would actually be worse off being made of stainless steel. CRES only protects against general corrosion. It's more cathodic than structural steels and even aluminum which makes it highly vulnerable to galvanic corrosion, especially considering that the hull is effectively the electrical ground of the ship.

>t. Naval structural engineer