.375 H&H magnum vs basically everything else

So far haven't seen any threads on this so is it good or no? I've heard mixed reviews. Some say it's worked (obviously it has since it's still being used after 100 years) but some also say it's a hit and miss. I'm just wondering if I should go for it and get rifle in .375

Attached: 375H&H.png (200x268, 52K)

Attached: (You).png (323x454, 327K)

Hunting, mostly Elk or bigger

Honestly .308 is good enough BUT why not, go for it!

Seems reasonable enough. Good round for moose or brown bear. 30-06/270/7mm can take down things larger than elk, but I wouldn't really want to count on them stopping a charging animal.

"Works" is a poor goal post for a cartridge.

There's 20 different cartridges that are mode accurate and more deadly for elk.

I'd go for .338 LaPua or .50 alaskan personally

It's a very versatile round. In Africa it is considered the best all-round cartridge, akin to the reputation of the .30-06 in the US.
Dangerous game of all sizes can be stopped fairly reliably with 300gr. bullets and it makes for a surprisingly good long range cartridge with 220gr. bullets.
You can pretty safely say that this cartridge will reliably kill anything that walks in North America as long as you shoot it in the chest.
The advantage of the .375 is that it, in contrast to .416 Rigby or .338 Lapua, fits into a standard Mauser action with a bit of modification, giving you a much lighter and handier gun.

Why not 8mm Rem Mag?
>8mm best mm

8mm mag is about the same power as the 375 H&H but a lot more difficult to find the ammo for, IME.

The rifles and ammunition are expensive. Recoil is...notable. Performance is unquestionable.

>this user and his bank account are drained. His long term prospects are... non existent. perpetually posting on Jow Forums about things user has no idea about- unquestionable.

.375 H&H Mag is, on paper, a great all-around cartridge.
The problem is that bullet manufacturers have discontinued all the light, soft bullets that would be good for American medium game like durr so that retards who see .375 H&H Mag on the box don't go and get themselves killed or, worse yet, maim some poor elephant or something because they think belted magnums have magic game-killing powers.

It's the minimum acceptable caliber for hunting large game in Sub-Saharan Africa. I had an old Mauser style bolt-action in 375 H&h and it sucked balls to shoot.
It was too light to dampen any recoil and it was a struggle to stay composed when pulling the trigger.
My dad used it for moose hunting.... But his dad used a .30-06 1903 Springfield for hunting moose so I dropped that 375 h&h and started hunting moose with heavy grain 308. Works just as well.

>It was too light to dampen any recoil and it was a struggle to stay composed when pulling the trigger.
git gud

For Zero applicable reason? When I can just drop down to 308 or even 300 winmag and my marksmanship is fine?
Nah. That's okay.

375 honestly strikes me as a kinda good at nothing round. It's far too large for anything you'd fancy eating and too little for things that would fancy eating you. If I'm in bear country I would want a 416 Rigby or other somesuch dinosaur killer.

>416 Rigby
No. Everybody in Grizzly/Polar bear land bets their life on powerful but manageable rounds so you can get off a few shots not just one too stronk magnum round.
The old timers swear by shotgun slugs, 44 mag, and 45-70

Honestly, the best defense for bears or any big animal would be a machine gun. A full auto proper p90 would be amazing at that.
Easy to control
Easy to carry and is comfortable to carry and shoot
50 rounds
Accurate at full auto

.375 H&H magnum is considered one the best big game cartridges. Big enough to do the deed on pretty much anything but small enough to still make a handy gun with good follow up. I know overseas it's the considered the best all round caliber to carry. All the loads for it shoot almost the same so in a pinch you don't have to remember the specific cone you are shooting, if you are sighted in for one weight you are sighted in for all of them. As a aside I've seen .375 H&H ammo available everywhere there are hunters. Pretty much every expat hunter I've seen has a .375 H&H

Just do it, if you don't you'll always regret it like when you did not ask that hot girl out on a date

Why do you think that a 5.7mm smg would be better? The reason why slugs, 45-70, and 44 mag have been the standard is because when a bear is actually charging you it's most likely going to be immune to pain and vital organ damage since adrenaline is running through it's system. so the solution isn't to poke lots of small holes but to hit it with large fast projectiles to blow apart muscle packs and/or cause skeletal damage so it physically can't keep charging you.
>just shoot them in the head
Good luck. Bear brain pan is smaller than it looks, it's surrounded by meat and thick fur and the head undulates while they run. Better off aiming center mass and limbs.

I’m pretty sure with 50 rounds at full auto you’d hit the head.

So you would haul around a 14lb rifle around for elk

This thread isn't a contest of who can say the most retarded shit about calibers they've never used, but you guys sure are trying

Set us straight if you can. Oh wait you can't, you're dumb enough to assume that any of the calibers mentioned aren't common enough to have been fired by a layperson, so you certainly don't have the brain cells to make a valid value judgement on anything we discussed. Here's your (you), fuck off.

375 Ruger.
Threads done lets go home.

You’re a retard that thinks firing off one magnum caliber is the better solution.
With 50 rounds at full auto you will certainly hit the bear in the head which will kill it. Even if you don’t it will die.
You’re retsrded if you think otherwise.

>I've heard mixed reviews
How can you have a mixed review of something that is pretty much the gold standard cartridge for large and dangerous game? It's like having a mixed review of the Browning M2, or a Vickers machine gun.

So you’re in alaska and you’re doing what? And you’re there with a full auto gun how? And you’re carrying the rifle plus 50 rounds? And you have a mag that holds 50 rounds? Who is the retard?

375 H&H is a fine caliber. Old but it’s what most belted magnums are based on. “Mixed reviews”... the cartridge has been around for damn near 100 years and rifles and powders have changed. For hunting purposes it’s great, long range precision target shooting- def not my first choice.

I have shot bear with my Rigby, poorly I might add, and the damage was significant enough to blow out the limb I initially hit and still retain enough energy to reenter the chest cavity and immediately crumple the animal. Just because it's not popular with Americans doesn't mean it won't rightly end anything on Gods earth.

.458 lott pussy ass bitch

>elk or bigger
So elk or grizz/moose.
.338 win mag for medium to long range, .45/70 for a brush gun.
.375 is worthless, too much for N. America, not enough for most African game.

>stopping rifle
>need max penetration
>go full retard with 5.7mm
Whew lad

Are you one of the tards who think 505 Gibbs is needed to end an elephant? People poach them with 308 FALs all the fucking time.

No, and I know AKs are used to poach elephants.
But legally .375 is too small for large African game, each country is different, but generally the law states you need something above .416 or some shit.

.50 BMG from an M2.

.50 BMG can barely take a durr.
For elk you need 20x102mm

On big game boards there always seems to be discussion around 375 H&H regarding "wtf just happened" moments. Accurate shot placement that either doesn't drop the target immediately or even at all. Being an old cartridge and the smallest nitro express round, the issue usually seems to revolve around bullet expansion even when using more modern controlled expansion rounds, so presumably the round tends to travel right through. It also seems that people have more difficulty with fewer grains, in the 250-275 range, and those using upwards of 300 seem to have more success.

There seem to be plenty of hunters and guides that swear by it and have never had a problem, but enough that aren't confident in it and have set it aside for something smaller that just seems to work better.

.375 is the minimum allowed in like 90% of Africa.

For medium game.
Most places won't let you go near large game with it.

2 bore rifle or nothing

Attached: 2bore_comparison.jpg (825x618, 36K)

God this website is full of nogunz