Inaccurate, bad portrayal of weapons in movies

Let's get this going. My favorite worst example is Barry Lyndon. The muskets are semi-automatic, which absolutely startled me to the point that it's the only thing i think of when thinking about the movie.
The rest of the movies is so fucking good that it really made me wonder how they could fuck up the battle scenes so fucking badly.

Attached: barry-lyndon-french.jpg (700x519, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CbBojWrOV2Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Semi-automatic muskets
Tell me you just mean they reloaded too fast, please please tell me that.

They didn't reload at all. They just fired volley after volley. If you haven't seen the movie, watch it. It's really great and has some great love for detail and historical accuracy, like inside scenes all being shot with only candles for lighting, but they really fucked up the fucking battles.

I've never saw barry lyndon, but considering the insufferable autism that kubrick oozed throughout his whole filmography I have to say it would be extremely disappointing if this is true

I viewed that scene more as them just editing out the load time. From what I remember the British advance farther than would be possible in real time.

Attached: rick-grimes-the-walking-dead-silencer.jpg (610x446, 134K)

>his musket isn't semi-auto
it's almost like you want the french to catch up to you in terms of technology

Attached: musketbake.jpg (4032x3024, 2.13M)

*if filed in real time

you got me thinking i could have been wrong, been years since i watched the movie, but i wasn't. there's no reloading at all. and the sound effects really suck. such a fucking shame, the rest is awesome.

>youtube.com/watch?v=CbBojWrOV2Y

yeah, it's fucking weird. seems like he really didn't fucking care about weapons.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 18K)

is that a fucking flash flight can?

I'm back
you're full of shit, what you describe as semi auto fire is merely fire by ranks, with the loading happening off screen
youtube.com/watch?v=CbBojWrOV2Y
get lernt myfam

just posted the same video dude, and it's not fire by ranks. it's only two ranks and they fire at the same time. then there's a small pause, too small for reloading, and you don't see them moving at all, and they fire again. that's just bad.

i've seen this and i dont remember them being semi auto.
they even had the lines walk up before just going to shit and things getting messy.
is it possible you're saying the editing made for faster reloads than would be possible?

i'll check it out again just for this thread, that sounds like it would stick out like a sore thumb.

ok so i watched it a few times now and i'm not sure anymore. most of the time it just looks like two ranks, then there's one cut where you see there's like 5 ranks, so i might have been wrong about the semi auto. it's definitely an odd scene though.

either way, the sound effects suck.

the way I see it, the first shot is from the front rank, then they duck, then the second rank fires
you always see a single row of soldiers shooting, because that's how it works but in the second volley you actually see the front row ducking
then after those two shots, a significant ammount of time passes until the sequence happens again

Attached: 1541767220035.gif (500x491, 376K)

This is Kubrick that we're talking about so may I offer that the editing is deliberate. Consider the following: We never see in exact distance how long the distance covered is and over what time. We are see the effect of something like three volleys on the men of Barry's company. In my understanding the scene was meant to convey the "memorability" recalling the narrators phrasing of the first battle Barry had scene. Now if you fought in that battle how would you have remembered it? Every shot the French took probably rang out in Barry's mind every time he looks back on that Orchard. The Fife and Drum are playing and we moved, closing on them as fast as we could, with every hundred yards they let out a shot. They were two ranks deep but as we walked down on them it felt like they'd never stop shooting. That sort of thing. Cutting to the French firing and British falling creates a sense of dread in the viewer. A feeling like if this insanity keeps up someone we love can get hurt, which of course does happen. "Kiss me me boy for we'll never meet again."

To imply the muskets are semi auto would mean the prop guns are semi auto which there is no proof of. It simply wasn't shown in the final edit. Either director thought it would ruin the pace of the battle (since not all actors can reload as fast as a 1700's infantryman) or possibly didn't want to bother bringing lead balls on to the shoot because it would require more takes and more safety requirements, all it takes is one idiot to have left a lead ball in their musket. Why aren't you mad that the British had spears shaped like muskets? They didn't fire so they must be spears by your logic.

Attached: 1557778021909.jpg (645x773, 62K)

ok i didn't think that far, excuse my wording oh superiors. the point still stands, the weapon handling has a flaw. has a point though.

>he doesn't maximize the efficiency of his kit by using flashlights as suppresors
you'd never make it in a zombie apocalypse

i never considered it in this last but i havent gone through this film more than once. and it's a good one.
i love kubrick.
kubrick directed this so he was both director and editor. editing was why he got into films in the first place, so whatever happened here was intentional as he was very autistic about the details.
his editing is usually symbolic on its own so as the user above you posted it's likely doubling as symbolism to show how it was perceived by the brits in their own memory. namely barry lyndon himself who this story is about.

the battle not being 100% realistic isn't a problem for me, especially in what is essentially a long ass artsy film with period-correct costumes and lighting.

funfact: kubrick's autism led to him working with NASA to get an appropriate lense to use on the cameras so the candlelit shots were truly candlelit and didn't rely on studio lighting. this was a first.

what would happen if I did this IRL? could i get hurt?

Attached: walking-dead-mistakes-fails-1.jpg (500x208, 26K)

I have watched the video, and i think that they can have edited the reload scene. Although i think they start firing when the enemy is too far away. Historically, there was an advantage on being able to control your troops not to fire too early, because at that distance it would be a waste of a volley.
Anyway, i was thinking that the french officer is shouting some comanding words. Anyone who talks french? Because maybe he is giving the right orders (reload, etc..) but they have edited the scene