Im scared

I have an old type 99 arisaka that fires the retardedly rare and expensive 7.7 jap. Bought it from a pawn when I was like 14 for 95$ when it had no bolt, completed it, and Im gonna fire it. All these years later.

Do I need to have a gunsmith inspect this thing?

Should I tie a string to it and strap it down?

Should I risk some fingers shooting it?

Should I pay 40$ for a box of 20?

Attached: F20D925A-147B-4F16-AF7A-825B13D53C8A.jpg (1200x796, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Hatcher
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I shoot my type 99 and it works just fine so yes give it a rip.

Oooh can I see please?

Get the barrel changed out to 30-06

Make sure to check the head space with a no go guage.

If you put your own bolt in it then yes, you should most definitely have it checked out by a competent gunsmith to make sure the head space is good. Even though arisaka’s have exceedingly strong actions, bad head space is not something you should fuck around with

It's a toyo kogyo series 33 all matching with a half ground mum.

Attached: received_1943970405872527.jpg (1080x1920, 186K)

How does your mum look?

The gook that owned mine smacked his bayonette in a X On mine.

Doesn't hurt to have a gunsmith check the headspace with a field gauge and maybe run the first couple of rounds with a string. Check the brass for swelling, stretching or flattened primers. The brass tells all.

For this purpose you will need some modern good quality brass, and as far as I know the $2/round stuff is about all that's available.

If headspace is good and the brass shows nothing wrong, you're probably good to go. Arisaka actions are actually quite strong and the barrels were chrome lined.

God dammit.

There are like 3 gunsmiths apparently in my state, and they all have like 6 reviews, and theyre all 2+ hours away.

Will these fucks even have a clue how to check a 7.7 rifle?

stop being a pussy and get a navy garand style chamber bushing so you can shoot 308 out of it

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. Arisakas have notoriously strong actions. I would just fire one round and check for over pressure signs. Now, that's not the safe thing to do and if you lose your face it's on you, but I don't check headspace unless I have a reason to.

Attached: 20190314_142719_crop_456x856.jpg (456x856, 399K)

They're safe to shoot. If the bolt was in good condition and everything locks up tightly then there shouldn't be any issue even if it's originally parts from two different guns. You can tie a string to the trigger for the first shots or hipfire it. The Type 38 and 99 both have holes in the top of the receiver to vent gas if a case ruptures or something. Just check your brass for anything abnormal to see if everything is space correctly, if you notice cracks, bulges, etc. then you may want to see a gunsmith about it.

>you can lose fingers

>but have no reason to check head-spacing
Jesus what the fuck would make you check it then

Buddy.
My guy.
The Arisaka is the strongest rifle action to come out of the Second World War.
I forgot the name, but there was some guy who welded the bolt and barrel shut, right before he fired a compressed load of pistol powder. Any other gun would have destroyed itself, the Arisaka just bulged a little.
You're gonna be fine.

Jesus christ.

Even if its a late war production?

You can order a field gauge and check it yourself. Or just string fire and check the brass.

Kind of drunk disclaimer. If the bolt is mismatched I would consider checking the head space myself for sure as sure. My drunk ass can't remember his name but the head of the US ordinance department (who was well known to load test rifles till they grenaded) failed to blow up a Jap rifle. They did over engineered their rifles. If I remember right he stopped at like 400% rated powder charge. Mainly since the casing couldn't hold any more powder.

>Will these fucks even have a clue how to check (insert head space gage size).
One of these days I need to make a home made infograph head space gage pic.

I would love to see that.

Ive never headspaced anything before

Late-war guns are still safe. The Japanese skimped on the furnishings and finish, but the gun itself is still just as robust. The only ones you had to worry about are when people took the training ones (made from pot metal, smoothbore, and meant to fire a super weak charge with a wooden bullet) forced a round in, and tried to fire it. That's where the myths about "last ditch" guns being unsafe started and I don't know how many training rifles could still be out there without being clearly labeled as such.

I think it was Hatcher you are thinking of, homie.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Hatcher

Just buy a set of heads pace gauge, 7.7 Jap isn't so rare it's impossible. Also reload. I wouldn't worry about it too much, the type 99s are so fucking strong if something goes wrong you'll know it before it hurts you.

I'm a old fuck. I have a memory's of the 90's. One old memory I have is a web site talking about using a casing as a "go" gage. A casing with a layer of ([x] mil thick) 3M masking tape as a "no go gage". A casing with two layers of ([x] mil thick) 3M masking tape as a "field gage".

As /tg/ and a avid model builder I kind of trust Plastruct and Evergreen sheet Styrene for thickness. All that is needed is the headspace spec. If you know the thickness glue and trim that to the back of a casing to make a "no go" using water thick (retard runny) glue.

Even thru my autism, I still lack the ability to remember the fucking name "Hatcher". If I was worth a shit I still need to read his notebook.

Attached: sheet.jpg (1099x1578, 511K)

Tie a string on the trigger

A gun in poor condition or brass showing overpressure signs. Losing fingers or your face is really worst case scenario shit

he did mention that some kids managed to blow one up by shooting .35 Remington through one
blew up on the 3rd shot

Not very good lel. But better than being completely ground off

Attached: 20190525_055623.jpg (3264x2448, 2.17M)

There are stories of people firing the wrong kind of ammo (mainly fudds using .30-06 or 8mm Mauser, because ''close enough''), which fails to blow up Arisaka actions in most cases. They're stupid strong. Still, OP should check headspace before firing.

It's VERY unlikely to be structurally unsafe.

They're built like a brick shithouse that's for sure kek!

Attached: 20190525_064651.jpg (3264x2448, 1.86M)

Fuddlore. Arisakas have extremely generous chambers and no SAAMI gauge will work in them. Good headspace also isn't a guarantee of safety, on a Arisaka or any other rifle.

It was P. O. Ackley. In the late 1940s or early 1950s, he tested the various types bolt action rifles used by the armies in WWII. The Arisakas were the strongest by far.