Comms/Cheap Chinese Radio General

ITT: post info about comms for fun or profit. What are good resources for learning about which radios to buy, DIY antennas, and keeping your communications discreet in the field?

>inb4 ham fudds complain about muh unlicensed operators

Attached: pacific_patriots_militia_baofeng.jpg (500x333, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

brushbeater.wordpress.com/the-foundation-squaring-away-communications-basics/
youtube.com/watch?v=VGBQOYYXnDI
youtube.com/watch?v=dpyVqNX0xSs
hamgear.wordpress.com/2014/12
n6pet.com/another-baofeng-uv-82-ht/
brickolore.com/p/baofeng-uv-3r.html
youtu.be/HhqWj8h12wo
youtu.be/ObYMuic2IEI
radioreference.com/apps/db/
radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2016/01/19/militia-radio-frequencies/
prc68.com/I/PAS6.shtml
ultra-electronics.com/Uploads/ProductImages/Electronic_Intelligence_1.jpg
amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUB0ONK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
differencebetween.com/difference-between-uhf-and-vs-vhf/
answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/356063.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Here's a place to get started:

brushbeater.wordpress.com/the-foundation-squaring-away-communications-basics/

But I'd like very much to hear from anons with radio experience in the military or otherwise

bump

Attached: 1557118973279.jpg (929x592, 127K)

I recently bought a UV-5R and discovered that although it's fun, it's cheap for a reason. Front end filtering is terrible and the receiver gets overloaded easily.
youtube.com/watch?v=VGBQOYYXnDI

What's a decent but inexpensive handheld that can TX and RX on commercial VHF (154/155mhz) frequencies AND has a better front end than the UV-5R?
So far I'm looking at the Quansheng TG-UV2+ and the Wouxun KG-UVD1P

Attached: china.jpg (474x266, 29K)

>Front end filtering is terrible and the receiver gets overloaded easily.
I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. Why is that bad?

If you're listening on frequency A, and frequency B is stronger, it'll override freq. A and you'll only be able to hear freq. B, or if you're in an area with high RF traffic it can make your radio worthless as you'll only receive static.

See:
youtube.com/watch?v=dpyVqNX0xSs

post more tidbits and references pls signal sensei

Wouxun is as good as it gets for the chinks, I have the UV9D plus, got it after my Yaesu VX-6 fucking died from many years of use.

>cheap-ass Chinese radios are shit
>hey guys how about these other cheap-ass Chinese radios?
Why don't you just buy something that isn't a festering pile of garbage?

I'm open to non-chink suggestions.

It needs to RX and TX on commercial VHF frequencies. It would be great if it were dual-band and could RX/TX commercial UHF as well. So far I haven't found any amateur radios (Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, etc.) that will do this.

I'd love a Motorolla but am not sure how to purchase, also they cost like 5x my budget.

I have a commercial radio from the 90's

Would you be able to identify it via photo?

>explosive fox hole diggers
interesting. has this ever been a thing? could this even work properly?

Probably not, but I can take a look.

>signal sensei
I wish. I'm stumbling in the dark here trying to learn this arcane knowledge. There's a lot to radio that I didn't know I didn't know.
I bought the Baofeng UV-5R because it's cheap and it covered lots of frequencies. After using it for a while, I'm a bit underwhelmed and want something better.

Some reviews and radio sites I looked at:
hamgear.wordpress.com/2014/12
/14/review-baofeng-gt-3-mark-ii/

n6pet.com/another-baofeng-uv-82-ht/

brickolore.com/p/baofeng-uv-3r.html

Do you know what the difference is between the UVD1P and the UV6D? They appear to have the same specs, but clearly they're different models.

it's almost as if one of them is pushing out more TX power in order to 'overload' the other.kek

TX power?

Would this serve any usable purpose today?

It says
Uniden
Pro340XL

You linked to the probably the best blog on the subject of clandestine radio and improvised radio.

Brushbeater stresses that we should listen much more than you should be talking.

He used to have a link to some free software defined radio shareware to use with a USB digital TV reciever dongle to create an ad hoc spectrum analyzer.

TX = transmit
RX = recieve
Bandwidth = how wide the signal is in frequency units.
CW (morse code) bandwidth can be from 5 to 200 hz wide or maybe more if you are keying very fastand ha e some frequency instability or chirp.
Single Side Band is usually limited to 2500 hz signal bandwidth.
AM modulation is 3-8 khz wide.
FM is called the frequency deviation and can be 5 to 30 khz wide.
Spread Spectrum is the widest bandwidth and can be over 100khz wide depending on the modulation scheme.
There are dozens of different Spread Spectrum protocols.
Whisper is one that sends text at a very slow data rate and somewhat narrow bandwidth but is effective at extremely low power levels.
A waterfall spectrum display can show nothing but very low background noise, yet text will still be decoded and show on the screen.
It is similar in operation to the system used to talk to the Mars Rovers.
Whisper could be combined with a one time pad for encryption lie an extremely low power numbers station.

This is the kind of topic Brushbeater gets into in the classes that he teaches.

Looks like pic related?
I don't know much about CB, except it's not as popular as it was in the 70s. I think most folks have moved to VHF (2 meters) or UHF (70 centimeters) because reasons. Somebody with more knowledge will hopefully elaborate.

I'd fire it up and listen, find out if there's any activity in your area.

Attached: uniden.jpg (374x502, 34K)

Yup exactly, thank you. See I knew so little about this shit that I thought your op pic had cb radios in them.

So what I'm guessing you guys are using China made vhf/uhf radios?

Will those allow me to listen in on police channels locally?

Don't know if relevant, but these are interesting:

Ham radio in a ammo can:
youtu.be/HhqWj8h12wo

Monitor airplane traffic and radio from PC:
youtu.be/ObYMuic2IEI

The dual-band VHF/UHF radios like the Baofengs are de rigueur for irregular forces, militias, airsoft larpers, etc. Ham radio guys use analog 2m on repeaters, as do my local EMS, Fire, and Police. I can use my UV-5R to listen to those frequencies, since they're within the RX range of the radio. Be careful, since you can also transmit on those frequencies with a Baofeng and disrupting public safety channels is taken very seriously.

Most urban areas have gone to digital radio, so you'll have to have equipment compatible with the system in your area. I don't know much about digital, but there are several "modes" or protocols and you need a radio that matches the modes used in your area.
Check
radioreference.com/apps/db/
for your local frequencies.

Just remember: Amateur Radio Boomers have Jow Forums-tier intel gathering autism when pirates encroach on "their" waves. They are always listening. They are always willing to turn you in to the feds.

radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2016/01/19/militia-radio-frequencies/

Attached: C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_untitled(1).png (480x480, 328K)

How do these fuds and their fed overlords come after you?

I'm a mil-fag and DF'ing people is a highly sensitive skill that would take a lot of time and effort.

Attached: 13062939_544761785705745_4657695040407213723_o.jpg (1400x900, 334K)

By recording everything being transmitted and passing on your comsec slip-ups, interfering with your signal/equipment remotely, etc. If you're in a fixed position they'll triangulate you given enough time. Remember, most people aren't going to be using encrypted radios or even "hidden" bands.

I guess bangalores have a similar effect?

what the fuck is a metascope?

also GnuRadio on SDR

Early IR optic.

prc68.com/I/PAS6.shtml

No joke, HAMs are a federal entity.

Attached: omega_man.jpg (782x555, 15K)

By triangulating your signal, which is so easy peasy that 60 year old hams do it for fun when you don't follow their stupid rules. They're like neets, except worse because they used to be useful and are bored now.

Attached: 1287034938174.jpg (427x421, 50K)

you're not allowed to legally transmit over these frequencies or what the fuck is up?

You just need to get a HAM license. Which is so easy 10 year olds regularly do it.

Takes an afternoon of study and going to a testing facility for an easy test to get your Technician license which will give user the ability to do everything he would need to do as well as a good base of knowledge on where and how radios work as well as some good troubleshooting knowledge. But that involves work and human interaction so most anons are out.

Attached: 1273988894440.jpg (316x232, 18K)

You can legally transmit unlicensed over specific freqs, you cannot encrypt your communications. You cannot move outside of the designated shitposting bands. They will know and they will report you (to the FCC which is very low threat & low effort)

They're lowering reqs, too. You no longer have to know how to build your own radio electronics for instance.

Read the article, dude. There's like three frequencies you're allowed to transmit over without a license. If you're on HAM speaking in code is against the law. On the channels that you can speak coded messages on everything you say is still 100% out in the open. And let's face it, your average 3per probably isn't smart enough to be using a code that can't be cracked within a few hours.

>If you're on HAM speaking in code is against the law.
Not entirely true, it just needs to be a public code. And you can use ctcss which isn't encryption, but will reduce the chances of you being heard.

>radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2016/01/19/militia-radio-frequencies/
anti patriot slant but good information

That's a pretty good article actually

you can set both to the same freq.

I have a connect on Motorola xts 3000/5000.
Some of mine for SHTF

Attached: radios (2).jpg (3380x1902, 1.4M)

>star of david patch
ameriblobs arent even hiding their allegiance anymore

Have you been to one of Brushbeater's radio classes? It seems like you have some knowledge on the subject.

Attached: poland_stronk.jpg (962x1404, 207K)

Ah thanks for the help frens.

I guess it's more difficult to track hajj because besides the typical baofeng, he's also using SAT phones, cell/gsm, curriers, and staying mobile.

So if I just want to use radios to larp and talk to my friends when we go hunting together and just fuck around in general with what do I need to do? Is it just as easy as picking up a radio and going to the same channels like a walkie talkie? I’m a stupid faggot so I need the very basics of radio to learn. I looked through that brushbeater articled and had absolutely no idea what that guy was talking about.

Attached: D9318D45-48F8-40B2-9D4C-AB4E70CF95FC.jpg (240x193, 8K)

dude just read

Attached: 1558286003626.png (657x527, 171K)

What's the official reasoning behind not allowing encryption or codes?
Spying on us is assumed.

>I'm a mil-fag and DF'ing people is a highly sensitive skill that would take a lot of time and effort.
ultra-electronics.com/Uploads/ProductImages/Electronic_Intelligence_1.jpg

Attached: Electronic_Intelligence_1[2].jpg (458x363, 94K)

I read that whole thing and even though I feel like I know more about how militias use radio I still don’t really understand how just a couple of guys would get into it to communicate to one another. The article mentions freqs that are open to public use and I used
‘s link to look at the channels around me but they are just all police and EMS and public works stuff I didn’t see anything mentioned about open channels. I’m way beyond confused at this point. Can you just use HFs to communicate to other people in range on the same freq? What’s the difference between UHF and VHF or is there any? Will other people always be able to hear what you are transmitting? How do you make sure you are not talking on a channel you shouldn’t be? Pls help my brain is cooking

Attached: 3B73D2F1-FB52-46EB-8189-7A31F3224C0D.jpg (284x284, 14K)

Get a couple of baofengs, use CHIRP to program frs/grms channels and have fun.

Attached: Infolet1.jpg (792x3458, 561K)

Stay off channels that you don't know what they are and don't transmit from home often or you might get reported by a fudd ham

Regular cb bands are unusable because all the black truckers pumping 1000 watts thinking they are some dj/rapper. Single side band is nice and quiet, better range as well. Pump a few extra watts and you can talk to half the east coast from a base station.

It can be as simple as picking up a radio and going to the same channels like a walkie talkie, but there are several "gotchas".

1. The Chinese radios often RX and TX on a wide variety of frequencies, some of which require a license to TX on. Others are public safety frequencies and you can't TX on them at all. Others, like FRS/GMRS are mixed and you're limited to a certain channels and output power. Now depending on where you live, things like FRS power limits may be effectively unenforceable. The FCC is a federal agency and local PD don't give a shit about what you're doing unless it's interfering with public safety channels, airport comms, or something important like that.

2. The Baofeng UV-5R is popular, inexpensive, and has lots of accessories. It's also tedious to program by hand, so factor in $20 for a programming cable. Make sure you get an FTDI cable unless you enjoy driver hell. Then download CHIRP and you're set.
amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUB0ONK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. Everything you broadcast can be heard by anyone listening on the same frequency as long as they're within range. Range is dependent on TX power, weather, geography, and your antenna quality.

> What’s the difference between UHF and VHF or is there any?
differencebetween.com/difference-between-uhf-and-vs-vhf/

>How do you make sure you are not talking on a channel you shouldn’t be?
Pic related is US amateur radio band allocation. There are several license types but it's safe to assume you can't transmit on any of these if you're unlicensed. If you have a dual band VHF/UHF radio the ones you care about are 2m (144.0-148.0MHz) and 70cm (420.0-450.0MHz). Police, Fire, EMS bands should be on radioreference.com, so make sure you don't TX on them also.

MURS, GMRS, and FRS frequencies are the safest for you to TX on.

Attached: Amateur Radio Allocations Apr 2017.jpg (1199x914, 331K)

bu- but...theyre just as good you ham fudd reeeeee

www.ebay.com

im not even going to bother because im going to suggest radios that arent baofeng and then get called a ham fudd etc...

Attached: signal-attachment-2019-05-26-184115.jpg (2268x4032, 1.13M)

do it

I'd like to know about radios that are actually capable.

what these guys said

Attached: 1558372536507.jpg (1566x881, 129K)

Maximum fucking comfy.

>ywn go cruising with the boys in technicals

There are some very durable Yaesu dual-band (2m/30cm) waterproof HAM radios which are fairly inexpensive. I have used a few for many years in the woods for work and for hunting moose in a group.

anything called a DIY "backpacker antenna" can be built for either frequency for cheap, and can be very durable. Just throw it up in a tree with a rock/string and you can go for miles and miles.

Tons of headsets/neck and jawbone whisper headsets can be had for cheap too.

Getting a HAM license is pretty easy too if you wanted to... which gets you in to clubs to learn a lot of useful techniques that you can then take away on your own and develop for your purposes.

I have a few baofengs that I use to communicate with my dad or some worker when at the farm, but sometimes signal gets bad if Im in a low point like down in a creek. Also I'd like to communicate Home which is about 8 miles as the crow flies but it's just too far away for my radios.

I talked to a guy that could install something but he wanted like $5k. Is there a cheaper way to get it done? Besides buying a better antenna which I dont think will be enough.

>here's your technical, bro

Attached: 1558825546089.jpg (1600x900, 185K)

Okay so is your infograph showing me freqs that I can or can’t use? I’m not sure what the colors in the infograph represent. Like would I be considered a “novice” if I just picked up a HT and started going at it? Or would we not be considered any of those classifications because we don’t have any licensing? Is the infograph in ‘s post correct as to what freq we would want to be using or is that regionally specific or outdated? Thanks for all the help so far.

Attached: 2B533E46-9B7F-48B8-ADCB-D6AA66119FC4.jpg (1024x652, 130K)

Holy fuck you got me to post. For everyone else ctcss does not hide anything, it just helps other receivers that aren't interested in your communications filter you out. If I turn off ctcss I can hear you plain as day. Ctcss and cdcss do not hide or obscure anything.

Yeah, it's confusing an nobody makes this info readily available. If you buy some walkie-talkies at the store they don't even make clear what's legal or not.

The ARRL infographic shows you which frequencies you can use IF you are a licensed amateur radio operator in the United States. It's a standardized nationwide frequency allocation, so it's valid everywhere. Novice is the lowest level of license, but most people start with Technician. If you don't have an amateur radio license you're not supposed to TX on those frequencies, but anyone can listen.

The post in is correct. You'll want to TX on MURS, FRS, or GMRS for maximum safety. Technically you need a license for GMRS, but when was the last time you saw an FCC cop?
Here's some more info:
answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/356063.html

Pic related is your FRS and GMRS frequencies and their standardized channel numbers. Google will give you the same for MURS frequencies.

Attached: frs_gmrs.jpg (647x741, 220K)

Thanks a bunch man I think that answers all the questions that I have right now. I feel like I have enough info now to not get butt raped by a ham fud.