Ribbon question

I'm making a shadow box for my buddy, and obviously I don't wanna fuck it up.
In creating his rack, the relevant portion of his DD-214 reads, exactly: "...SEA SERVICE DEPLOYMENT RIBBON (2), AFGHANISTAN CAMPAIGN MEDAL (W/1 STAR)..."
Obviously the campaign medal gets a bronze star. But what about the SSD? (2) means twice awarded, right? Does that mean a bronze star for that as well?

Attached: Afghanistan_Campaign_Medal.png (726x816, 468K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Service_Ribbon#Navy_and_Marine_Corps_Sea_Service_Deployment_Ribbon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan_Campaign_Medal#Devices
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

Attached: xbl4f6t0md031.jpg (9378x7033, 2.96M)

Attached: 3mcrjgrbb2y21.png (1291x2048, 2.57M)

Attached: aSXvZC8.jpg (4657x3006, 3.57M)

Somebody help this guy

yeah you are correct OP, small bronze star on the SSD.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Service_Ribbon#Navy_and_Marine_Corps_Sea_Service_Deployment_Ribbon

>A 3/16 inch bronze star is awarded for the second through the fifth award of the ribbon; the 3/16-inch silver star will be worn in lieu of five 3/16-inch bronze stars

Looks like it's 1 bronze star per award of the ribbon before a 5th award.

appreciate the support user
no idea what to google for this

Attached: NSPU-1PN34_AKSU.jpg (1280x857, 802K)

That's what I thought, thanks. Just wanted to be 100% sure. Any ideas why it's worded differently for the two awards? Just standard military fuckery?

Attached: photo (15).jpg (500x375, 53K)

If he was awarded the ribbon twice (you get one for each sea service deployment) he would have 2 bronze stars on it according to the link in

I don't think that's the correct interpretation, if wikipedia is accurate.
>1 award - no stars
>2 awards - 1 bronze star
>5 awards - 4 bronze stars
>6 awards - 1 silver star

Attached: monkeying around.jpg (1280x960, 203K)

Yeah, I think you're right.

Pretty confident in 1 star at this point, but will bump a couple more times, why not.

Attached: p49xe5o0g2w21.jpg (5376x3024, 862K)

Attached: g23wwlj314621.jpg (768x768, 110K)

Attached: ufmyk1s2i6g21.jpg (3024x4032, 1.93M)

No idea why. My best guess would be that one is a medal and the other is a ribbon but that still doesn't make much sense.

just checked my own dd214 and it says the same thing lol. stupid military

Attached: awards.jpg (435x135, 41K)

think I figured it out
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan_Campaign_Medal#Devices
>Campaign stars - For each campaign phase that a service member participates in for 1 or more days, a 316 inch bronze campaign star is worn on the suspension and service ribbon of the medal
The ribbon was awarded twice. The medal was awarded once, for participation in a single campaign, meriting one star. Looks like it is never worn without a star in general.
Final bump, closing the case on this one.

Attached: lwr9xyvzqzwz.jpg (701x935, 87K)

>GLOBAL WAR ON TERRORISM EXPEDITIONARY (CLASSIFIED)

do tell us user. we can keep a secret

curious about that myself heh

>Looks like it's 1 bronze star per award of the ribbon before a 5th award.

Sixth, actually. Bare ribbon is 1st award. Second through fifth are denoted by bronze stars. Thus, the ribbon w/4 bronze stars indicates 5 time recipient. Sixth award is ribbon w/1silver star.

The SSR can be received multiple times while a campaign medal is only ever awarded once. The stars on the ribbon denote multiple awardings while stars on the campaign medal denote how many campaigns you were in during the conflic. Modren campaign medals cop out on campaigns and do arbitrary generic shit instead of actual campaigns.

The ribbon itself denotes one awarding. The star denotes a second.

Attached: Campaign_Stars.png (960x720, 154K)

thanks, this is the conclusion I reached as well.
wording makes sense now

Attached: fb559d27a6234c3fbc7e30fd76c5b9bd.jpg (460x345, 86K)

I may or may not have conducted combat operations in a country that the US wasn't officially conducting combat operations in at that time.

>Any ideas why it's worded differently for the two awards?
The awards were given at different times, possibly at different units. The citations will have been written by different admin personnel. Whoever winds up generating the DD-214 isn’t going to waste any energy on standardizing cites. They’re on autopilot, copying whatever the citation says.

>Modren campaign medals cop out on campaigns and do arbitrary generic shit instead of actual campaigns.
also, "NEW DAWN" makes me fucking cringe. almost as much as OIF/OEF

Correct

funnily enough, it is consistent according to and makes sense according to

heh, nice

Attached: bID7GiA.jpg (4032x3024, 1.46M)

>41580613

cut out the legal double speak and tell us what you did you fucking nigger

thanks for the productive thread
one last bump

Attached: 42UeY1l.jpg (1976x1200, 696K)

If there was one thing I learned in my Army career. NEVER let a Army General name anything.

He probably deployed somewhere overseas but there was not a specific campaign for that, like Okinawa or Spain. Those rate a SSD for example.

check the thread, the mystery has been solved
I wonder who came up with awesome shit like "Operation Overlord" or "Operation Barbarossa" tho? Some lowly contingency planner?

ahhh fuck it another bump, I'm drunk

Attached: k7yvv02reta11.jpg (4032x3024, 933K)

Attached: 1pnjx55g3mb21.jpg (3024x4032, 1.19M)