Boomer myth/fudd lore thread

What’s the most ridiculous boomer myth/Fudd lore you ever heard about firearms?

Attached: 117122B6-C4D6-43CD-B2DD-3FAB0B842075.jpg (1125x957, 203K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Long_Colt
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just a few from one of my dad's friends
>".45 ACP was invented to stop crazy Japs who were high on meth/opium/cocaine/PCP cuz .30-06 was just goin right through em!!"
>M1 Garand ping myth, then claiming he's spoken to WW2 veterans who used the trick
>"for every new gun, you gotta run a cleaning patch through the barrel after every 5 rounds." Upon asking why or what this was supposed to accomplish, all he could say was "it gives you the best accuracy"
>.45 ACP literally has the ability to lift a man off his feet when hit by it
>refused to believe me when I said 5.56 was more powerful than .45, upon bringing up load data for both he said "anyone can put anything they want online, doesnt make it true"
Not Jow Forums related but
>went on a 30 minute tirade about how David Lee Roth's "Eat em and Smile" is the greatest album of all time and anyone who disagrees doesnt know real music
I know it's ultimately futile to argue with boomers, but God damn if he doesn't make my blood boil every time he opens his stupid fucking mouth

Attached: 1551807288088.jpg (453x604, 65K)

“Assault weapons” are too dangerous and should be banned.
A close second is any statement that follows, “ My son/nephew/cousin/dad/whatever is/was a cop and HE says . . .”

Attached: F1FD0B69-AB62-4CE6-872D-A7EAAA6DFA0E.jpg (552x490, 18K)

"Revolvers are unstoppable and better than semi autos for carry"

does BRRRTTposting count as fudd lore?

Attached: airstrike.png (500x303, 57K)

"Steel case ammunition will cause a lacquer buildup in your chamber that will eventually ruin your gun"
"Steel case ammunition will wear out the barrel of a gun faster"
"Steel case ammunition funds the Russian military and international terrorism"

"45 will drop a banzai jap or a kraut on meth in one shot brother even if you don't get a clean hit it'll knock em down"
THEN
"yup them weak plastic ar15s take about 5 shots to drop a man, a friend of a friend of a friend said the 556 is just too weak"
THEN
"The m1 carbine won't penetrate frozen clothes, you could pop a chinaman with one and he'd just dust himself off and come at ya"

>>"for every new gun, you gotta run a cleaning patch through the barrel after every 5 rounds."
This actually hasn't been conclusively disproved to be helpful... but it hasn't been proved either. I'd file this under something other than fuddlore.

>hasn't been conclusively disproved
You literally can't prove a negative, that's practically the definition of fuddlore

Attached: 01937251518.gif (375x250, 1.22M)

No, CAS via 30mm gattling gun is objectively badass especially when flown by a plane with a relatively reliable flying record. Make no mistake, the F-35 can probably do the job a lot better but with all the mishaps it's had lately you can't really call it as reliable.

>ARFihTeen will blow a deer apart
>.50BMG can rip a man's arm off just by passing by
>AK's are inaccurate
>.40S&W is useful at all
>.357SIG will give you nerve damage
>.22lr is more deadly because it'll bounce around in somebody's skull
>germans used to listen for the Garand ping to attack
>AR's are innacurate
>that POGs know anything about firearms just because they're in the military
>russians flying in US airspace with Bear is anything other than friendly joke

>"Steel case ammunition will wear out the barrel of a gun faster"
in their defense, I think TFB did a 10,000 round test and found that after 10 sustained 1,000 round sessions, the bimetal jacket, steel-cased ammo showed MARGINALLY more throat erosion and gas port flame-cutting
still a retarded argument as no one's dumping 1,000 rounds of sustained steel-case rounds in a session

Ok but it feels like almost everything causes or funds international terrorism.

Well your taxes fund the CIA so...

Its not marginal. But you could buy a new barrel by the time you wore your old one out and still have money left over shooting cheap russian ammo.

Very true
I'd bet that the cost of a new barrel, extractor, ejector, and firing pin combined are less than the cumulative $15-20 you'd save per 500rds shooting steelcase

There is such a thing as "seasoning" a barrel, but it's a bit more involved than running a patch every 5 rounds. And typically only done on precision bolt actions. And I dont meen muh durr rifle.

Anything involving any 50 caliber or 45 caliber round.

This is just a fact.

I've heard of running a cleaning patch every 5 rounds on a new gun to lap the chamber and remove any machining marks. I think even shit brands have good enough equipment that it isn't necessary

>.300 winmag can't be used up close because it hasn't accelerated up to top speed till 300 yards
>Bayonets are legal to own, but not to mount on a rifle
>You can't have a Leatherman on you in public, it's technically a weapon
>The x number of patches every y rounds until z factor is achieved barrel break in
Maybe the F class guys know some voodoo, but your Savage axis doesn't need it

That boomers get to collect on their Social Security and will take to firearms if they don't get their gibs.
So bring in the red flag law, to take the gibs and their firearms at the same time.

Barrel lapping is not a meme but its more involved than cleaning the bore as you shoot. Any barrel can benefit from being properly lapped but unless you're already outshooting half minute guns you wont personally notice the difference.

I have never heard the .300 WM one before.

Somehow it boggles my mind but doesn't surprise me at all.

This one might count:
>you can't shoot old shotguns
>they won't take modern powder loads
(I've checked, SAAMI pressures are the same)
>what if it's for black powder? how you gonna know for sure?
>or a Damascus barrel!
>there's a reason we don't sell used shotguns in this establishment
Seriously? I have the internet. I can do research. It's from the mid '20s, you ass. Well after smokeless powder became a thing.
Had this conversation after putting a hundred or so rounds through it of varying type. Sure, it'll never be my go-to hunting/home-def, but god damn it feels cool to slam fire that antique.

Attached: 1548814548843m.jpg (1024x960, 183K)

Anything revolving around .22lr
It is honestly baffling how adamant boomers are when it comes to completely ignoring genuine fact when it is right in front of their Facebook addicted faces, but I could see that cleaning patch thing be sort of true if you were issued a particularly shitty rifle or something, but certainly not every 5 rounds. Even then most rifles today don’t need that much attention to unless you have an expensive precision rifle using top quality ammunition.
What shotgun was it? Trench?

>".45 ACP was invented to stop crazy Japs who were high on meth/opium/cocaine/PCP cuz .30-06 was just goin right through em!!"
.45ACP was designed post Phillipines for us wherein a bunch of tribal warriors were able to stand up (literally) to the anemic .38lc cartridge. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Long_Colt

>David Lee Roth's "Eat em and Smile" is the greatest album of all time
Dunno about greatest of all time but that and Skyscraper are better than every van Halen album with or without Roth

Boomers and fudds tend to say stupid things pretty regularly, but the .45 ACP thing is mostly true. Only it was to replace .38 long colt because Moro combatants in the Philippines were higher than a kite and were tanking pistol rounds like they were spit balls. But really anyone would have, it was a pretty bad round that was all of those memes about .22 long come to life.

>good guy with a gun will stop a mass shooting

Back to leftypol you shithead

>Even then most rifles today don’t need that much attention to unless you have an expensive precision rifle using top quality ammunition.

That's the entire context of that particular meme. It's the break-in procedure recommended by high-end custom barrel makers for benchrest target barrels when you install a new barrel on your rifle. It has nothing whatsoever to do with military issue guns or with normal cleaning/use.

I ran into some dumbass at LGS a couple weeks ago who claimed that he fires 500 rounds of full-power 357 out of his S&W airweight snubbie at each range session, which he does once a week.

Friendly reminder communists aren't human and should be wood chippered into tree of liberty fertilizer.

>Don't rest your M16/M4's magazine on the ground it'll cause jams.

Shut the fuck up you dumb fucking supply retard.

Green followers and prior there is some truth but most modern mags have been g2g

Based and redpilled
fuck pansy ass pinkos

Stevens 520, civilian model but the 520M saw use in the first World War from what I've read.
My old man is a total boomer but can make sense sometimes.
>carries a .22
>birdshot shells
>"if I blast someone in the face at close range they'll be too busy to chase after me"
>hates anything magnum
>has a .44mag carbine
>refuses to shoulder it
>proceeds to hit 5/5 targets at 75yds from the hip
>"it took a couple hundred shots, but I know where to point it now"
>mfw

Attached: 20180410_155638.jpg (1936x1936, 1.05M)

Attached: Greg_gradually_freaks_out.gif (480x270, 432K)

>anything is an assault weapon! there's no such thing!

Bro, we had a decade long ban with a legal definition of assault weapons all across the nation

Then it gets worse when their dementia kicks in and start claiming assault rifles aren't real either.

Also, if you aren't a part of classic firearms buyers group, you are missing out on so much fuddtastic fun.

>a long-expired ban, whose definition didn't match the military one in the first place, is a standard that we should choose to uphold.

I've seen people suggesting to report anyone and everyone using red flag laws, in an attempt to make the legislation unpopular.

>with all the mishaps it's had lately you can't really call it as reliable.
The A-10 fleet had their wings wholly replaced multiple times within the first 6 years of service because Fairchild-Republic can't into quality production. These wings cost half again the total price of the entire fleet of A-10s and only "fixed" fewer than half of them.
That's many, many times worse than anything the F-35 has encountered thus far.

"Breaking in" a barrel is mainly just superstition and over-cleaning has the potential to do much more harm than good. But done properly there shouldn't be any problem, most barrel manufacturers will even offer a breaking-in procedure for their barrels.

It's more about a "break in" for new guns which is completely unnecessary. Seasoning is after you've scrubbed your bore and. A completely fresh bore will not be as accurate, because a small amount of copper will actually smooth out any small imperfections it has. But after 3-5 shots it'll be as accurate as it's going to get

>You don't need that.

>5.56 designed to wound
>.30 couldn’t penetrate enemy jap cotton clothing they used as basic armor (jap disinfo campaign caused this one)
>don’t like AR’s because they’re “less reliable”
>AK’s less accurate
>civilians should have access to firearms BUT... (anything that comes after that kind of opening)
>muh ironsights
>muh 1911/.45 two world wars
> glock dangerous cuz plastic/no manual safety
>muh choose to use a gun with less utility just because of some retarded fantasy shit (double barrel over a pump or semi, revolver over a autopistol, bolt action over a semi auto rifle) such as “muh reliability”
>muh No. 8 birdshot instead of anything that could legitimately stop an intruder because “it’ll make’m run” >muh “he’ll run if he just hears the pump, heh *click click* getsum’ every time”
>muh stopping power
>w-why would you need anything more than what I have?
>I don’t accessorize my home defense firearms because it will look bad in a court case if they see things that make it more deadly like a extended magazine or flashlight or laser or foregrip (this one is somewhat true, but only if it’s a firearm you have for traveling. Home defense situation is different)

Attached: 20EA5D80-69C6-4EF0-9565-CA5406E87CC0.jpg (800x761, 63K)

I love the "AR's will rip a deer in half" argument coming from a guy that's wearing a Vietnam Veteran hat.

Shut up nigger

whichever variant of "If you shoot X caliber near person/animal just the shockwave of it traveling past them is a lethal blow" is popular at the time

Gen X dad, but said "I think .45 is the limit on what people should own, but even then it's unfair"

I feel like the Garand ping and all the various myths around it are the platonic form of fuddlore

>.44 magnum is good for bear defense but 7.62x39 isn't

>The North Vietnamese could use our 5.56 in their rifles, but we couldn't use their 7.62x39 in ours.

All I can come up with is that the communists used 82mm mortars and we used 81mm. I suppose it it possible the communists could use a captured 81mm mortar round in an 82mm ( although it would rattle around a bit) but a 82mm round would be too big for an 81mm mortar..

When I got my first AR, I was so excited and went across the street to show my gun nut boomer friend. He took it all apart and reassembled it front of my eyes and I was really impressed. Taught me all about it. It was a cheap DPMS but still a good and fun gun to learn with.
I asked about bullpups and he immediately stonewalled. "Oh, What about shit?"

What's funny though is that he had an F250, silver just like that pic. and looked almost exactly like the boomer meme guy. Only thing is I didn't see him chugging monsters.

My wife's boomer uncle is a weird mix of fudd and based. He's 70 and complains about 'muh plastic gunz' but he thinks the m16 is the best gun ever made and that every male should own an A4 with a red dot and night vision gear and only use 20 round mags for going prone. He hates 9mm because a friend of his shot a home invader once in the actual ass with an FMJ, got his ass kicked and his gun stolen from him, then shot once and died. The crackhead died from infections in his ruptured colon. Ignoring the fact that he hates that the military used ball ammo in Vietnam and that on two occasions he shot a coyote with a .45 hollowpoint and it lived. He thinks all guns should have adjustable sights but has at least 3 .357s that don't hold their zero for longer than a 2 cylinders with full power ammo. He makes his own ammo and carries it. Not reloads, makes. He doesn't pick up his brass because that's for brassholes and prospectors. His home defense gun is a 1897 Winchester shotgun with a long barrel and polychoke loaded with duckshot because of over penetration but he says he's gonna slamfire it until it's empty anyway.

He has had three carry guns in the time I've known him. Despite being rich as fuck and owning custom 1911s, custom precision bolt actions, LC Smith shotguns, a .500 nitro elephant gun, and a safe full of just Smith and Wesson revolvers his carry gun was a kel tec .380 that he shot a lot for a few months then kept in a pocket holster and wouldn't ever inspect or shoot because it sucks and he hates. He would just stick it in his front pocket every morning and then in a night stand ever night. After 3 years he decided to shoot it and realized it had a broken frame and rusted shut. He replaced that with a commander sized Kimber with adjustable sights. He never shot it because he had other Kimbers that he trusted. Now that he occasionally uses a wheelchair he has a 6 inch barrel.38 super Colt with a comp that he used to shoot competitions with.

A dull knife is better than a sharp knife in a fight

>.50bmg will rip your arm off even if the round misses you
The weapons training officer at my facility said this and I don't know if he was joking

Attached: blowjob-queen-19993796.png (500x522, 173K)

>russians flying in US airspace with Bear is anything other than friendly joke

One caveat - flying into the US ADIZ is a friendly joke. If they flew within sovereign airspace it becomes a problem.

>You can't shoot steel case ammo out of an AK, because it destroy your gun.
>You shouldn't be allow to buy 5.56 ammo
>All you need is (Some shitty bolt action rifle that nobody heard of)
I don't know whose worst?
Fudds or Grabbers.

Attached: idiots.gif (320x307, 3.66M)

>"No one's dumping 1000 rounds sustained in a session"

Attached: 2tfsx4.jpg (1151x616, 64K)

"I'm gonna get a 1911 revolver for my next gun, I shot one at the rental range it was best gun I've ever used"

"When a bullet hits a bullet proof vest it will expand flattening out to the size of a dinner plate"- police officer that visited high school

Sutherland springs church shooting.
Bonus points because he used an ar15 to take out the guy.

Attached: 1565066880473.jpg (261x210, 7K)

Truly a man’s man.

Someone at work:

>my friend filed down the firing pin to make his AR "full auto"

I've only heard of this on Jow Forums but I knew I would hear it eventually one day. It was about two years ago now. He got fired.

Some guy I worked with who was once in the Marines actually argued with me about that and told me he had seen it in person.

>it's illegal to shoot people with .50 BMG so you have to aim for their rifle and say you missed.

body armor makes you impervious to physics

>Nobody needs and AR-15

I'm suprisied no one has posted that one...

What the fuck?

No one needs an AR-15

AR-10s exist.

>Fudds or Grabbers
Both bad, but I’d rather have a bolt action/pump action gun than none at all. Fudds are better

Steel jacketed ammo starts fires, not because it strikes sparks on rocks (which is also a myth but at least kind of makes sense) but because steel is a poor conductor of heat so the bullet retains more heat downrange.

You can just have your barrel lead lapped to get rid of the micro-imperfections that the 5-10 rounds and then clean for the first 100 rounds does.

Not sure if retarded or genius

It's pretty marginal. An Army study found that it reduces the life of stainless barrels by 10-15%, and has no effect whatsoever on chrome barrels. At today's ammo prices, by the time you wear out a stainless barrel shooting copper jacketed ammo, you will have spent an extra $10K-$20K to extend the life of your $300 barrel by 10%.

It's steel or bimetal jackets, not cases, that are supposed to harm barrels. (Though fudds probably believe both.) The cheapest copper jacketed are $0.50 to $1 per round more than the cheapest bimetal.

>.300 winmag can't be used up close
lel

I think you missed the point of the post. There is no break in period... it's a myth. A small amount of copper fouling improves accuracy, but it only takes firing 3-5 rounds or so before it's as accurate as it'll ever be. If you scrub the bore with copper fouling remover, your next few shots will be less accurate but after that it's back to normal. There's no special routine that will improve the accuracy/durability of a barrel for its life other than just keeping it clear of gunk and rust

This was taught as fact to Marines in MCT in the late '90s.

>10-20 thousand dollars
I find that impossible to believe. Also, most people don't shoot bimetal not because they think it'll damage the barrel, but because the ammunition is usually terrible. It's just fine for plinking though

10K+ rounds, $1 extra per round (for .308)

>What’s the most ridiculous boomer myth/Fudd lore you ever heard about firearms?

Short barred ARs are not shitty

1 dollar extra per round? Where the fuck are you buying your ammo?

I guess there's some Walmart tier copper jacketed .308 for around $1.25 a round. I usually pay $2 a round for good hunting ammo. Bimetal jacketed plinking ammo is $0.35 (Wolf) to $0.50 (M80) in bulk.

But the plastic parts on the AR platform don't matter. Who gives a flippity fuck about furniture? It saves weight and cost compared to wood. Stop acting like an AR is the rifle equivalent of a Glock.

Apparently it comes from the procedure for the .50cal Tracer Spotting rifle (not BMG), attached to Recoilless rifles. Even though you could theoretically use it to engage infantry, it would just reveal the emplacement's position, so it was not allowed.

jeez dude

5150 and F.U.C.K. are better albums than anything David Lee Roth released solo.

What in the unholy hell is happening in that gif?

fuck boomers

fuck boomers

fuck boomers

fuck boomers

fuck boomers

fuck you

My grandfather called my Mossberg 500 Tactical an "assault shotgun". It's a fucking pump action

Steel will wear your gun out faster, particularly along feed ramps. I've also had an extractor go blunt/round because of steel cases.

>AR-15s are useless for hunting because spraying 500 rounds a second would rip a deer apart
>AR-15's don't have any range compared to a .270 deer rifle, I'd be surprised if you hit anything past 25 feet with it
>The hollow point ammo in AR-15's are illegal so the military shouldn't be using them
>The only reason to have an AR 15 is so you can pretend to be a soldier
>I bet the plastic melts in a hot day
>The only reasons to own a gun is to hunt deers. And for that you need a .270, so turn in your shot guns and hand guns
>AR stands for assualt rifle

literally this old fuck just UNLOADED his fudd lore on me at once when i went to go zero my new trijicon today and saw my ar.

>just 100 US marines can take on the entirely of Rome in it's prime
I see this from time to time on Faceberg, and every time it enrages me to no end. People just do not comprehend things like logistics, traveling, and historical cultures being more or less the same as today, rather than blithering idiots.

Also
>Marines are the most elite special forces in the world!

>but because the ammunition is usually terrible
This, steel cased ammo (with very rare exceptions, like the 7N1 "sniper" 7.62x54R match grade ammo) is almost universally mediocre as far as accuracy goes. For plinking out of an SKS or AK this is no big deal, but for shooting competition, hunting, self defense, or tight groups, you'd want to pony up the extra cash for brass ammo which happens to usually have better QC and projectile selection.

>
those are literally all true you moron

doesn't it depend on the amount of ammo they have?
they probably couldn't take rome and manage it but they could certainly ruin it