What multitool does Jow Forums recommend?

what multitool does Jow Forums recommend?

Attached: download.jpg (302x167, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nV7RfTz3BWs
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_Ration_Eating_Device
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I find the leatherman wave to be useful.

I wouldn't recommend any of them. All I've had annoy me in various ways.

Whatever is cheap and has a pair of pliers is the best. For everything else I use a dedicated tool.

the wave is the greatest must underrated invention of all time

why not the Surge

cheap $10 MT from china. 95% as good as brand names but 1/13th of the price. if you beat it up or lose it, just get a new one.

I am a construction fag so obviously if you have your tools around they are better for everything than any multitool. But, if I am going rock climbing in the woods or to the range I can have enough shit to take care of basic stuff like cutting a small branch, taking care of a fraying rope, cutting some cordage, adjusting a screw, between that and my little leupold tool for sight tightening/adjusting, I don't have to worry about running back to my truck for a minor inconvenience.

It's useful enough, plus having an extra knife is nice when I don't want to use my nice one for something that could be dumb.

Attached: opplanet-leupold-scopesmith-mounting-tool.jpg (365x240, 16K)

I have honestly had to use the stupid little saw on the wave before and it worked way better than I expected.

Wave is the hot one but I have an old stainless slab leatherman that was my dads and I've never run afoul with it. So it's really up to you and the marketer.

but the surge has a saw too

I bought a Leatherman Surge 4 years ago, first actual multitool I've ever owned.
It became unusable after 1 month.
The retention screws that hold all the tools in place walked out, loctite did nothing, the tools just fly around every time I try to use it.
I took the entire thing apart, cleaned it, and replaced all hardware. Still a broken piece of shit.
I could send it back to Leatherman for $5, but I honestly just don't care about it at this point.
The only thing it gets used for anymore is when my girlfriend uses it to cut open our mail.

>purposefully refuses to use 25 year warranty
well okay buddy

I spent over $110-ish IIRC on what was supposed to be an amazing tool, and it became unusable inside of 4 weeks.
hard to have confidence in something if you have to warranty it damn near right out of the box.

I have a little Leatherman on my key ring with pliers and some other pocket knife tools. Use it all the time very useful and easy to lug around.
I had one once that was scissors instead of pliers. Don't get that one. I don't understand why they even make it.

it obviously a factory defect my dude, literally what a warranty is for

Not that I can see, I don't mean the serrated blade, which also does work pretty well as a saw. I also don't use the wirecutters enough to like the replaceable blades, the only thing I really like about the surge over the wave are the larger scissors, but I have only ever used them for trimming my fingernails, all other cutting I usually do with the knife.

I'll probably get around to it at some point.

Does anyone have a chart of the different generations of leathermans? My wave from 2001 is slightly different from current ones.

Attached: 1565534578462.gif (300x186, 446K)

youve got 21 years to go. so no worries

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I don't know how you could use a multitool enough for that to happen. I have had mine for years and it gets used maybe once a week and then put back into my pack. For me, a multitool is useful when you are out in the woods or somewhere that isn't practical to have your real tools, to deal with small tasks. Even so, I have done a lot of stupid shit with mine and they keep on performing. I would send it back and get another like the other guy said, 25 year warranty and all.

thoughts on the MUT

Attached: 61BaLMcJm1L._SY606_.jpg (438x606, 22K)

>Jow Forums keeps pic attached on their Jow Forumseychain for EDC

Attached: Screenshot_20190818-145208_Chrome.jpg (1440x2960, 518K)

if only the blade wasnt chisel ground

Works for everything I need, which is mostly opening boxes.

thoughts on the Gerber Crucial Black?
>youtube.com/watch?v=nV7RfTz3BWs

Attached: 31-001518-gerber-crucial.jpg (952x1360, 160K)

Love my Skipper. It's light enough to be carried in my pocket literally every day. Best thing about it is the marlin spike since you can pry shit open with it and do other stuff where you wouldn't want to use the blade. Pretty good all around tool.

Attached: file.png (560x490, 212K)

Having a proper hammer is useful.
Has 2 built in methods of carry, carbine or clip. I prefer to attach carbine to my belt loop.
Has 3 different methods of carrying bits, even though the plastic bit slide tends to break.

is that plier actually useful?

Besides phone, easily the most handy thing ive ever kept in my pockets

Attached: 370x367_EVOGrip 18 Yellow.jpg (370x367, 59K)

I've got an old early wave so I've never looked at what Leatherman has now, wow. Maybe it's just me but that looks cool as fuck. I might go grab one

They're certainly sturdy and they bite hard so yea. If you push down with your thumb, it works really well. Personally haven't used it that much bar ripping out wires and stuff. I really don't have a need for a plier-based tool like a leatherman.

Leatherman Surge
Anything else is COPE

wristlets cant handle the Surge

Carabiner you mean? Or does it attach to a Carbine like a multi tool bayonet?

>ywn affix your multitool to your rifle and stab charlies to death

Attached: 1565104434765.jpg (407x354, 22K)

this HAS to have been done by someone somewhere

It's replaceable.

Attached: 15661565905441361261277104689531.jpg (4032x3024, 3.76M)

Lol

Attached: 1556221451760m.jpg (1024x513, 63K)

Here you go

Leatherman is my recommendation.
I have a original PST, 1st Gen Wave and a New Wave. They have survived major use daily. Depending on what I'm wearing the first gen PST and Wave get carried. The 2nd G Wave is a backup, I found it on a highway with a few scratches on it. Got it a sheath and tossed it in my go bag.

opps forgot pic

Attached: 2988x716_Leatherman Timeline.jpg (2988x716, 365K)

>2019
>non replaceable wire cutters
lmaoing @ plebs

Attached: 1560764426130.jpg (894x1150, 131K)

If you have it and you like it that is all that counts!

Anons is the Signal a meme or any good? I want one and it'll be my first Leatherman

Attached: Leatherman-Signal-Aqua.jpg (458x458, 20K)

honestly, the gerber mp600 bladeless has become one of my favourites, i originally got it because job restrictions where i couldnt carry a knife, but since i always have a knife on me at any other time anyway it is just a nice compliment of tools

Thanks! What do all the colored lines mean?

they are as expensive as a Surge around my parts, the ferro rod is an utter gimmick and anyone who has actually for real used/practiced using ferro rods knows this, the hammer/carabiner thing is nice, it fumbles on the serrated blade for outdoor use but the awl is neat, all in all. i would say get a wave or a surge, if you think you need a multitool for outdoor use a skeletool is probably better

I really want one of the bladeless MP600s but I've heard the carbide wire cutters are brittle garbage. Does a 3rd party make decent replacements?

It's perfect except for that.

>falling for the multitool meme

SAK pliers are shit tho

ive had no issue with mine, toughest thing ive cut with it tho is chicken wire fencing and that worked fine, i will say, that the cutters are actually triagles, so if they get dull you can turn them and have a fresh pair, so unless the cutter blade shatters, you get 3x replaceability where leatherman only has the ability to switch a damaged one for a new one

Thanks for the info. Will look into the Surge and Wave.

checkin those trips

Chicken wire is really flimsy. I don't have a link, but I read about somebody chipping their cutters on a wire coat hanger. Didn't inspire confidence.
The triangle design is really clever, and I like seeing that kind of simple-but-good engineering.

i would highly advice that you look closely at what you want, do you want a multitool for home/edc or do you want one for the outdoors

leatherman is a great multitool company, but IMO the closest to a good "outdoor" multitool they have have is the Crater knife with tools or the Micra

other then that Victorinox is king for outdoor multitools

well, i often cut chicken wire, ive never in my life needed to cut a coathanger

If leatherman made a surge without the knife it would be perfection

God knife laws are retarded, the weight and pointed impact of a plier to the head would kill you quicker then the knife but OH NO KNIFE SCAWWWY

And that's what's gonna happen isn't it. Taking knives from law abiding citizen won't be enough, soon anything heavier and harder then a cucumber will be illegal

Just makes me so tired

if in europe: swisstool
if in us: Leatherman wave or surge
customer service is the reason.
If you're on a budget look at ganzo

Leatherman Surge or Wave.

>If leatherman made a surge without the knife it would be perfection
Easily done with a couple of T10 security bits.

I have one on my keyring. I recommend it, as it's allways usefully there.

Pic related

Attached: Torx T10 security bits.jpg (3991x2993, 2.36M)

Skeletool CX. The patrician choice.

Tries too hard to be aesthetic.

I sharpened the blade on mine pretty good and it holds an edge. And I used the file to do the bolt lock mod on a buddy's 10/22 in his vice, since it was there on my keys with me.

Leatherman customer service is great too. Twice I've needed work on my leathermans, once they repaired, once they replaced, no charge to me the customer.

my SOG Powerlock has always treated me right. 2 deployments and 10 years of faithful service.

If i had to list cons, it's a bit on the heavy side and I don't use all the tools.

Attached: sog_b61-n-586x400[1].png (1600x1092, 427K)

SOG good?

I used to have a Leatherman core that my dad gave me from when he worked refrigeration. It got the shit beaten out of it, but still did literally anything I needed it to do.

Last year some fuck from my dorms came into my room drunk and threw it at the ground breaking it. I sent it back to Leatherman and they sent me a super tool 300 which again, does everything I could need it to do

Attached: 81MSb9ACZsL._SL1500_.jpg (1125x1500, 125K)

I had a Signal that I really liked until it wound up on the bottom of Lake Chickamauga. Now I mostly carry a Charge+TTi

Attached: JQ3kp63.jpg (2592x1936, 324K)

Nice, does it match your purse?

Leatherman saws are pretty good if you worth them right. I've taken down 12 inch branches pretty quickly with one.

Not true, i have the dainty wrists of a 12 year old girl and carry a surge daily and love the bastard.

To any dog shooters lurking i too have never needed to cut a coat hanger, ever.

I picked up the Wave+ after checking out my friend's Wave. Definitely seconding the recommendation.
Not having to unfold your multitool to access the primary blade is the bestest thing ever.

You know you can remove any tool on it you want right my paki friend, you can tell the bobbies to have a smashing day with the smuggest grin after they inspect it.

Got mine for Christmas 2017. Carry it every day even though it's pretty large. I like it, the tools like the punch and no.10 torx come in handy way more than I imagined they would.

Attached: IMG_20190819_015504921_HDR.jpg (2605x2568, 1.61M)

>I've taken down 12 inch branches pretty quickly with one.
What the fuck? Can't be 12" diameter. Most I ever went for was about a 4" tree and some 2x4. Both were a pain in the ass to saw through.

>surge
>literally can use ANY t-shank jig saw blade you want
What the fuck is your deal mate?

What did you find useful on it?

I never use my Leatherman (tm) Wave, I only used the saw in conjunction with my firesteel and the pliers for butterfly screws, maybe sometimes for cutting boxes
They're kind of memes. Just get dedicated tools for what you want instead.

I bought it mostly because it had a really beefy knife and saw. Before that, I went through 2 Wingmans and a Sidekick with broken tips. The hammer end was also a lot more useful than it looks and I loved the carbiner, especially as a bottle opener, it was much more convenient than digging out the combo can opener like I have to do on my Charge. The ferro rod was an absolute meme and I could never light anything with it though.

Circumference.

>multitools are may mays
t. Never leaves the house to actually do things

Yeh dude I use my firesteel in my kitchen
Seriously, what is stopping you from using decent tools for whatever you need? The whole point of multitools is that you have an assortment of really shit tools in your pocket, I'd rather just have something decent in either my backpocket which I know I'd use or other stuff in a backpack if I'm going somewhere and I know I might need it
But I guess anyone who might actually rely on a multitool when it actually matters in an unplanned situation is probably a faggot in some /fa/ gimp shit with pants that have hardly any pockets or something

Knife? Just have a pocket one
Saw? Just keep a silky in your trunk or backpack
Scissors? Just use the knife for most stuff
Pliers/wire cutters? Come on if you need these you should know to have a dedicated tool
Can opener? Knife that isn't a scandi grind
Screw driver? Same situation as the saw
I can go on and on

The needle nose pliers on my Leatherman are built as well as any pliers from the store and have a better warrantee.

The knife is about as good as my pocket knife blades and I give less of a shit if I destroy it so it's really convenient for camping

Why spend money on and carry extra shit when I can just throw one thing in my bag that I can beat the fuck out of and get a new one for free if it somehow breaks?

>I really want one of the bladeless MP600s but I've heard the carbide wire cutters are brittle garbage
Not him but they are brittle. I was dumbfounded when the thing took a shit on the first cut. IIRC it was just barbed wire that I was cutting, which is pretty mild. If you needed to cut a whole bunch of super easy stuff then maybe it would be OK.

Multitools are useless. Dont use them-

kys, faggot

Attached: squirt.jpg (2016x1512, 558K)

Fixed

Attached: Screenshot_20190819_124245.jpg (908x506, 148K)

Then why are you in the thread, dipshit?

T. Neet who doesn't have a job

no.

thats some respectable wear man

>just as good

Cute gun

I think the point of a multitool is to have "good enough" super compact tools on you when you don't expect to need them.

the "why are you in a thread of something you don't like" point doesn't apply here, it's about a tool that is ultimately obsolete and I'm discussing why you shouldn't use them even though I have one
keep shilling leatherman for free I guess

Thoughts on this multi tool?
The Damn Aussies even made their slang terms to the wiki!
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_Ration_Eating_Device

Attached: ADF_Can_Opener.jpg (220x158, 9K)

I've owned Gerbers and older Leatherman(s) and they were all great

I leaned toward the Gerber when I was a soldier because I needed pliers very often and one-handed opening was invaluable while standing on equipment.

Either very heavy use or you got a defective one. Maybe give it another try.

Because real life doesn't have a hueg inventory and sometimes you leave the house or vicinity of your toolbox.

Attached: 1556021902764.jpg (245x280, 10K)