Mental health general

hey Jow Forums i wanted to ask a question and maybe start a discussion
ive been thinking
ive been depressed for quite a while now and recently ive been convinced that its not just depression
that something else is wrong, maybe something diagnosable
most people would recommend seeing a psychiatrist but something else occurred to me
in the past year since ive gotten into firearms i have bought numerous guns and they are now very important to me
giving them up is off the table

theres all this talk about how mental health should apply to gun laws
and my state passed red flag laws in 2017
and on 4473s theres that question about being a mental defective
anyways, in your opinion
how would me seeking treatment affect my ability to purchase guns
and god forbid, how might this be used to try and remove my guns from me
even if theres no current law they could use to screw me
i worry about them passing new laws and using my medical records to

if theres any chance at all that this could come back on me
id just as well not seek treatment at all
I know im not dangerous even if i have a few screws loose
and firearms are one of the few things that have made me happy

anyways
general discussion about mental health and how to protect yourself from unconstitutional laws surrounding it

Attached: 1555599913382.jpg (1600x900, 242K)

Other urls found in this thread:

abc10.com/article/news/local/mom-shares-story-of-sons-suicide-mentally-ill-people-should-not-be-sold-a-shotgun/103-521374217
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What happens when you slide a boot knife into a discord tranny's thigh and twist it. Will blood come out?

Attached: 1559603891921.webm (854x480, 2.99M)

have sex

>and on 4473s theres that question about being a mental defective
You're supposed to answer yes on that question if you've ever been involuntarily committed to a mental institution as an adult. Not if you ever got sad.

Prozac helped me get my shit together long enough to move to based Arizona where it's always sunny and I don't get depressed anymore.

what about the rest of my question though
how likely would it be that some bullshit new law would be passed and anyone with a psychiatric diagnosis would get flagged?

also medicating myself is also a deal breaker for me personally

First thing, never admit yourself into a hospital unless you are thinking about suicide. Most states don't care about voluntary admission. The best thing is to seek help from a psychiatrist and therapist and stick to the medications. Don't tell family or friends if you are mentally ill, because they will turn on you. If you are diagnosed with schizophrenia or any violent mental health disorder then kiss your rights goodbye, because your state doesn't care if you are violent.

i dont think im full blown schizo but i might have some sort of personality disorder

ever have any gender dysphoria?

To be fair, if your doctor disclosed confidential information, you could sue them AND whoever took your guns into the ground. Outside of your doctor telling people about you, nobody has to know you get sad sometimes.

Most police get depressed. (Police have a very, very high rate of depression)

Soldiers get depressed for obvious reasons.

Is it likely that "muh red flags" get passed? I don't think so. Mainly because thousands upon thousands of court cases would happen and any one of them could go to the supreme court. And if red flag laws DO pass, within 5 years there will be a supreme court case that will most likely settle in opposition to red flag laws.

Tl;dr, unless you get sent to the looney bin, it is nobody's business.

no im not a faggot

Lift weights monday wednesday and friday. Run 1-2 miles on tuesday and thursday. On the weekends take up yoga, martial arts, camping or just walking in nature. Weekends are also my range time. Eat healthy by adding fresh vegetables and cutting out sweets period. Drink at least 2-3 liters of water. Make an effort to clean up around your house. Completing chores can release dopamine. Take the time to do a good deed for someone else. I have made the above my routine and it is impossible for me to feel any significant depression. On a personal level, I go to church on sunday and enjoy the fellowship of fellow people that have strong family values like me. Everyone has ups and downs but I believe that 90% of people don't need doctors if they just exercise, eat healthy, get a good night's sleep, and go to the range with their friends. Work will set you free my friend. Don't be afraid to sweat and struggle. You'll find a strength like you've never known before. I sincerely hope that you succeed brother.

>how likely would it be that some bullshit new law would be passed and anyone with a psychiatric diagnosis would get flagged?
That would be like 1/4 of the population. Way more extreme than Obama's big gun grab that even the ACLU opposed. That's boogaloo territory.

>medicating myself is also a deal breaker
You'd use a crutch if you broke your leg, right? Meds are just a temporary crutch to take the weight off so you can heal your mind and start making better life choices.

Personality disorders come in all shapes and forms. Bipolar disorder is minor, but the states of mania are serious and affect people differently. They could just clean their whole house, but tons of shit, impromptu roadtrips, etc, but it's harmful to them. I only know what I experience. I personally don't care if you have a gun, because if you come on my property to do me harm then you're as good as dead.

This. Keyword is "involuntary". But do be careful with medication because you know you're not a danger now, but maybe once you start taking meds things get weird. Try to avoid meds and talking to therapists first, if that could help.

Also..don't tell your therapist that you have guns UNLESS you are thinking about suicide. And even then. When I got down, like deep, deep down into a bad place, I gave my dad my guns. When my wife got depressed I gave my dad all but one of my guns, and I hid that gun where she'd never find it but where I could still get to it if need be.

If you're doing life correctly, family, work, gym, household chores, reading, hobbies, etc. You don't have time to be depressed. Get your life in order.

If you're spending all your time online, smoking weed, masturbating, playing video games. Then there's your fucking problem.

You shouldn't have time to be depressed

I refused meds. Instead I went home, and after talking to my therapist I was having a "good day". I took that day to look for a new job, schedule a vacation with the job I had, clean my house, work out, then pick my kids up from daycare early and go to the park. That made me feel awesome.

And here's another thing. Plan trips, plan purchases, plan good things for the future. Give yourself stuff to look forward to. For me it was trips to cool places or just buying a fucking video game on X date.

my worry is not that im sad
i know that im sad already
my worry is that the cause of my depression is a disorder

this is excellent advice
but part of what i think is wrong with me is the inability of forming habits like that and keeping goals
each individual thing i do requires immense willpower

mental illness doesnt have a "cure"
so medication would either only temporarily fix me
or i would be on it for life
my grandmother took meds all her life but they never got the dosage right and sometimes she was worse than when she was unmedicated

the thing is that my depression has been going on my whole adult life
i dont remember not being here

thanks though im trying the best i can
i quit a job i hated in july but now trying to find a new one has me down

lol stfu dipshit. serious issues aren't fixed by diet and exercise. while i don't disagree that diet and exercise should be the first step for anyone feeling depressed, it isn't an ultimate fix-all and should not be touted as such. chemical and hormonal imbalances can fuck you up

god damn that's some boomer tier ignorant broscience

>mental illness doesnt have a "cure"
Bullshit. Is not magic. It has causes, and causes have cures. I was depressed as fuck for almost 20 years. Now I haven't been depressed at all for almost 10 years. It was as simple as moving to a less shitty climate.

In college, my classmate committed suicide. He was the salesman at the gun counter of the sporting goods store near my house. Not only did he has underlying schizophrenia, depression, drug use, his gf was a slut that fucked any guy who gave her attention. So one day while she was out of town he offed himself with a mossberg 500 (think ksg kid).

He shouldnt have been around guns, his gf even agreed, but he slipped through the system, and to be honest shes lucky he didnt murder her and her other guys.

I endes up in grief counseling, confronted my severe anxiety and panic attacks (debilitating on the floor unable to breath). I saw a therapist, got help. Coping mechanisms, healthy communication, broke up with my own abusive gf and stopped hanging around suicide girl. Im in a much better healthier space. I bought probably 10 guns since then.

TLDR: get help, talk to someone, even soldiers needs counseling sometimes dude its okay. Do NOT get put on medication. Youll totally be allowed to have guns still its fine, unless you cut yourself or something then sell your guns before you hurt someone.

Youll feel much better and still enjoy gats. Do NOT tell your therapist about your guns, i live in a red flag state also. But tell them everything else.

Attached: 1564586392959.jpg (1024x1023, 89K)

Not saying it's going to be as simple as that for everyone, but it's no different from any other disease. There's a cure for everything, we just have to find it.

Heres the article of my buddy i lost.

DO NO LET YOUR DEATH BE USED TO PUSH INFRINGMENTS.

His own mother used her dead son to preach about gun control.

abc10.com/article/news/local/mom-shares-story-of-sons-suicide-mentally-ill-people-should-not-be-sold-a-shotgun/103-521374217

I have major depressive disorder. Never been to the nut house. Have been to rehab a couple of times though because I struggle with addiction...the addiction and the depression go hand in hand.
I've never been violent though or suicidal. I've thought about suicide but I couldn't do that to my family. And if I ever did decide to kill myself, it wouldn't be with a gun. Not my style. I'd probably hang myself desu. Depression is a bitch. Practically no energy or motivation, nothing but bleak, hopeless thoughts every day, low self esteem, wanting to sleep all the time just so you don't have to be awake. I'm grateful that I don't have schizophrenia or BPD and I'm not insane. But yeah, even the simplest tasks are a monumental struggle. It blows.

Attached: hi-i-need-a-wake-up-call-gucci-gameboy-oure-an-53148136-1.png (500x621, 465K)

The state of the US is such that you should NEVER seek any mental help or psychiatry because they will use it to red flag you. It sucks.
Talk to people and exercise.

Hey OP,

I only going to guess that you being honest with Jow Forums and want some true guidance.

I've been depressed at times but figured it was always some outside source; something was making me unhappy and it wasn't my fault.

I realized that it was me. I was the reason for my unhappiness. I did a lot of self reflection to figure it out and realized I didn't have control over my life.

My apartment at the time was somewhat dirty, I didn't have a solid routine and I allowed that to fester. Something as simple as being clean and organized affected my overall happiness.

So, what I did was started a routine. I made my bed every morning. I cleaned my kitchen and made sure everything had a place. I cleaned my pistols and rifles and learned about them, I worked out, I made sure when I did something I did it with full commitment and saw everything through to the end. I made sure all of my finances were in line and I worked toward being debt free. I made sure I prioritized my friends and made time for them. I literally made time lines for what I was going to do during the day.

I took control of my life and I was truly happy for the first time in a long time. When I came home my place was clean, when I wanted to buy something I had money to do it and when I wanted to spend time with friends all of my chores were done so I could devote my full attention to them and have fun.

It's been 10 years and now I'm married with a kid. I still keep my same routines and make time for everything. When I wake up, I create a mental schedule for what I want to do during the day and how much time I'm going to devote to each activity.

I don't completely agree with throwing medication at a mental health problem and would argue that by taking the time to organize your personal live and take control of it your happiness would thrive.

No one is perfect, but I can tell you from my personal experience that by taking care of the small things my happiness shot through the roof.

DESU this. Working out regularly drains what energy I have left from that day and I don't ever have enough to care. I work at a state lock-up so trying to vent out everything is essential because stress eating gets people fat and gets people killed.

Attached: 1563319567687.jpg (428x600, 59K)

t.
Professor retard

i think most people in this thread are misunderstanding my meaning
if it turns out i actually have schizoid personality disorder or something
there is no "cure" for that
the cure would be taking drugs for the rest of my life
which is not an option for me

i would never suicide myself
and im not taking any meds either

the thing about my depression though is im not sad all the time
its closer to being permanently discontent
when im out i just want to go home
and when im home i feel like im wasting my time
i have wild dreams of things i could do
of plans i could make
but i just dont
even things that im seemingly perfectly able to do
i am currently unemployed and id like to say ive been busy job hunting but i havent
even simple shit like fixing my car i just dont do
i dont even know why

theres just so many things i should do that i just dont do them instead

this is honestly how im leaning unfortunately
the red flag laws in my state have me spooked

woah there captain crunch has got everything figured out over here
thanks for contributing to the thread with your disingenuous bullshit

Also performing activities that let you really destress and just think through things/calm down are great. Comfy bike rides or painting or something where you can think about something else/work out everything going on in your mind really helps with depressive/anxious episodes.

Naturally you need some free time. I quit social media for a bit and it gives me more time for mental health. Shit's like sand, it creeps into all the cracks of your time and fills it up.

Hey, Prozac Bros. So you like Arizona a lot? I'm used to heat and I've been looking for a change of pace.

thanks
those are some good ideas
i think you were a healthy person who was depressed however
my reason for making this thread is about underlying psychological issues and whether diagnosing them would negatively affect me

>my depression might be a disorder

Do what a therapist will tell you to do anyway. Try changing your lifestlye. Working out and eating better is easy.

>tfw have suffered from depression for the last two years because I lost my job and my mom is severely mentally ill

Should I just end it all now or wait for the hope of getting to sacrifice myself heroically in the Boogaloo?

Attached: 383F9046-C38C-42FC-BA07-BF510A83E7A9.jpg (3840x2160, 1.54M)

killing yourself is always an option you have
so why not try some other stuff first

I like hitting park trails and smoking a fat cigar. Really calms a dude down.

You could volunteer for John McAfee's campaign, become a serious member of the FPC and become a figurehead for gun rights in America? It'll give you purpose and a sense of belonging.

I don’t care for wasting my time fighting a losing battle to preserve a Constitution that was thrown into the shredder long ago. As far as I’m concerned, civil war is the only and inevitable answer.

I don’t give a shit if I die in it, so long as the cause is worthwhile. Frankly I wouldn’t mind being something like a right-wing version of Kamikazes or Basij suicide units. It would be a worthwhile death.

Attached: 30262134-B1D4-4920-B2D4-CEA5C469D339.gif (316x180, 3.97M)

Kinda same thing OP. Following an arrest 2 years ago, cop asked if I wanted resources and help for my depression and suicidal thoughts, and I said yes. Did less than a month in mental health facility, was on meds, and completed a year of a probation-type period. Thought I'd be home-free, but when I was trying to buy a shotgun, I was denied, and filed an appeal to the FBI. Before I mailed it, I got a letter from the ATF, and said I was "Adudicated as Mentally Defective," even though I don't meet the requirements for the title. Sent the appeal in around mid-July, and now I can only wait.

Nervous as fuck about it, even though I should be in the clear, and have gotten my life together since then, but it's fucking with me so much.

I'm scared, guys.

fuck dude thats not the same as me at all
what i was saying was hypothetical
the sucks and i hope everything turns out ok for you

that or you look like a fucking haji getting yeeted when someone lights you up before your meaningful death. If you wanna do that, sit on top a pile of tax forms and unconstitutional bills, cover them and yourself in gasoline and protest like it's Vietnam all over again.

Attached: thatgotyourattention.jpg (1148x759, 213K)

I'm buying a pack of 3" 00 buckshot magnum shells to an hero with. The >buy shells kid >commit suicide high jinks are hilarious. It's like the crab legs copypasta I won't be able to experience because I live in California.

Not him but do the Hajis really have it that bad? They go from loser nobodies to heroes in the eyes of their people, even when they fail.

Thanks, me too. This is one of the worst times right now for this to happen, but I have to keep fighting.

you still fail in the eyes of everyone else. The guy who lit himself on fire to protest the war got points from everyone for at least having heart and balls, not being a mindless zealot for a facist religious pedo group.

FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME

Yeah but the Hajis don’t give a shit about what the West thinks of them. That’s what they’re trying to convey with their exceedingly overly complex execution videos. They don’t give a shit what you or I think.

That's sort of fair. They still suck at it and have yet to convince the world on anything other than "PLEASE BOMB ME OR I WILL RAPE YOUR WIFE BECAUSE ALLAH".

Well what they’re demonstrating is that world opinion has no power over them (something even the Nazis had a modicum of concern for) That we may curse them or praise them and it makes no difference. And that’s it’s so hard to beat them in the long run.

You could also blare that from subwoofers and yeet the dudes who try and raid your house. That'd be cool.

Not caring what your enemy thinks of you: fine.
Not caring to the point everyone is slaughtering you and you still insist on being shitty fighters: really fucking retarded.

I feel that, I've been depressed/occasionally suicidal for over a decade. Been on meds and seen various psychs and therapists that whole time, only the most recent guy has been able to provide any help. I also joined a Men's group that does great work helping dudes out who are struggling with issues, but even that has its limits. I try to work out 2-3 times a week and I've started dieting, but even with all of the above I still can't seem to keep the depression down. I seriously hope its not chronic, but its getting on my nerves. What absolutely pisses me off though is that I live in Illinois and when I applied for my FOID, I learned that any stay at an in-patient ward is reported to the Illinois State Police and it bars you from getting a card. You have to wait 5 years and get a sign-off from a mental health professional to even try to get a FOID again. My current therapist is great but he's not huge on guns, so I'm having to go through professionals that do specialize in getting FOID rights back, but appointments run up from $500-1000. Fuck this state, can't wait to move. To any Illinoisfags in this thread, AVOID IN-PATIENT IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. You will get assfucked.

>FOID
had to look that up
glad my state doesnt have that gay shit
sorry you're having to deal with that user

Same boat.

I'm very stressed and have high anxiety. Live in a top ten worst place shit hole with no work and I have a family to provide for. Doing odds and ins for the cash we need and living that ebt life.
I'm sure meds would take away some of the sting but it's not worth it if I cant keep my 2a. I've had a ccw for 10 years and couldn't imagine not packing. Thankfully we have constitutional carry, but I travel out of state to visit inlaws a lot.

Orginal plan was to use inheritance later on down the road and have a off grid homestead. Wife is into it, but got to do the modern world now and I've spent my whole life away from that. 2 and a half hours away from a interstate where a resume is your word.

Well in pa, here Ive been on an anxiolytic since I was 19. Not a controlled substance just to help mitigate stress long term but now im off it. Point is my dumbass disclosed it to the state police for my act 235 and they still did not reject me. I do armed security but point is user, get the help you need.

They might require access to psych records in the future

If you are mentally ill, stay away guns. We don’t need any more wackos creating problems for us.

dont tell me what to do
i know myself and that im not dangerous
thats good enough for me

I didn't read your whole post lol, but generally you only get flagged if you come in and say some shit indicating you are dangerous - like I wanna hurt myself or others. Depression is a real thing friend, so don't be afraid to talk to someone

How about this retards

You never want to buy a gun, but don't want other people to find out that you're fucking crazy and that you've had multiple stays in hospital for one reason or another. Watch some idiot fails to tighten down on finding out who has been red flagged or not.

So now people know you're crazy and HIIPPA is fucking broken just because everyone is a faggot about guns when guns aren't the problem with people killing other people in the first place.

People kill other people, they'll use whatever the fuck they can and always will and have.

This whole thing can suck my dick I hate whoever started this shit I bet it's going to ruin my life in the future even more as if it hasn't been ruined enough. Watch you go to apply for a job and the fuckin background check shows that you've been red flagged.
I don't know what they've said about how it's supposed to work but everyone alive today is an idiot so it won't work right.

FUCKING
GAY

We’re about one mass shooting away from universal background checks (ban on private sales) and a HIPPA waiver requirement being the next “common-sense, mental health-focused” bill being passed.

Anyone ever diagnosed with a litany of mental disorders or prescribed SSRIs or antipsychotics will be restricted. The Right will support this. Countless veterans will be impacted anyway and some will react violently. This will be used as justification.

>HIPPA waiver requirement
they do this for guns, then they'll eventually do it for jobs
if that ever passes with this in the whole bundle everyone just fucked themselves
I highly doubt that will happen

My wife has a cat and my (((landlord))) wanted to charge pet rent for it, which is apparently now a thing. She registered it as an emotional support animal so we could get out of that monthly charge. Good move on my wife's part but done without my input. I had to point out to her after the fact that this would more than likely come up in a red-flag situation ... she signed a legal document saying she had emotional issues.

Escape one jew to fall into the clutches of the next.

Attached: mad.png (500x356, 278K)