Sub sound proofing

why not put rubber versions of these things on subs?
might be worthwhile if they are applied to be parallel to the water flow.

Attached: 1a22ca47-b49c-4aab-bc82-f9f8c67e1943.jpg._CB310013676_.jpg (2848x2848, 970K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anechoic_tile
youtube.com/watch?v=F1y0mNqr4QE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anechoic_tile

Beat you to it user

If I put that stuff on my rifle, will it make my rifle quiet?

ah, i was unaware that they had little holes in them. i thought that they were just solid bricks

Attached: 051219-N-0000C-002.jpg (2100x1396, 1.1M)

because these only work for areas where sound waves are being reflected off, and if you are shooting out in the open the large majority of sound waves are not reflecting off your rifle

It will melt and be a total mess if you shoot more than a couple mags in 5 minutes. It will do nothing to make the gun more quiet. Sounds like a good idea.

>i thought that they were just solid bricks

It might also surprise you that those things have no effect on "blocking" sound or "soundproofing". Their purpose is to control reflections in a recording studio or anecohic chamber so that the microphones don't pick up unwanted echoes.

Soundproofing is done with mass (big, thick, heavy materials) and isolating walls from each other like pic related. Subs work the same way, the inner hull is isolated from the outer hull.

Attached: StudOptions.jpg (841x641, 148K)

Dumbass question here but how do they separate the inner and outer hull? Obviously it cant just free float inside of it so do that just have connection beams to secure it?

Don't listen to them user, they are just seething fedniggers who don't want you to learn this one neat trick to make your rifle silent.

There are rings spaced out along the length of the hull. It looks a lot like the frames of an airplane fuselage.

You're right that there must be some connections between the two. I don't know exactly how it is done, but I would assume they have a minimal amount of connection between the two hulls--just enough to hold the parts together. I also suspect that they might have some kind of rubber isolators or similar between the two.

for example, if you watch this documentary:
youtube.com/watch?v=F1y0mNqr4QE
...they show several examples of how internal machines are attached to the hull using rubber mounts so that the vibrations aren't transferred to the hull. For example, look at 40:00 in the video.
I would assume that similar tech is used between the two hulls as much as possible.

>why not put rubber versions of these things on subs?
are you retarded?

>After the war the technology was not used again until the 1970s when the Soviet Union began coating its submarines in rubber tiles. These were initially prone to falling off, but as the technology matured it was apparent that the tiles were having a dramatic effect in reducing the submarines' acoustic signatures. Modern Russian tiles are about 100 mm thick, and apparently reduced the acoustic signature of Akula-class submarines by between 10 and 20 decibels, (i.e. 10% to 1% of its original strength).

Do you think that diffusers and rubber coatings are the same thing?

Thanks anons, didnt expect actual answers, the only issue I could see with using rings is if the connections not too secure or shoddy couldnt that cause a shit ton of vibration from the two hulls twisting independently? I'm not even gonna pretend that I know submarine engineering

Of course the two need to be securely fastened together to a certain degree, you just don't want to add any more connections than are strictly necessary.

That's fair, fuck sub engineering, my friend was with this girl who's dad was a contractor for sub designing, obviously he couldnt talk about it but apparently it's a huge pain in the ass, my dads a structural engineer and that already seems difficult enough

Inner and outer hulls? Go drink your vodka, Ivan.

Because the increased surface area would slow the submarine to an unacceptable level.

>>A submarine hull has two major components, the light hull and the pressure hull. The light hull (casing in British usage) of a submarine is the outer non-watertight hull which provides a hydrodynamically efficient shape. The pressure hull is the inner hull of a submarine that maintains structural integrity with the difference between outside and inside pressure at depth.

>coatings
no one uses coatings. they use tiles.

Attached: 1556214551223.jpg (389x289, 31K)

A series of tiles is one way to create a coating.

My main question was related to why you are confusing dampening with diffusion. OP asked about diffusers. Rubber tiles are a dampening mechanism. They are totally different things with totally different mechanisms of action.

You're certainly right that modern subs use rubber coatings/tiles, but that has nothing to do with diffusers.

>but that has nothing to do with diffusers.
wtf are you talking about? of course the tiles are diffusers. they're not solid pieces of rubber. they are designed to absorb and diffuse frequencies of sound that sonar uses.
go read a wikipedia page for fuck's sake... it answers basics.
this thread is stupid.

It would be extremely silent

You're a loud guy.

>they are designed to absorb and diffuse frequencies
The objects OP asked about use geometry to deflect sound waves in random directions, scattering them.
Rubber uses hysteresis to absorb vibration.

Do you understand the difference between using sharp angles to bounce off sound waves versus using a material to absorb it?

Hydraulics, compensates for sea pressures between the two hulls.