Why are pump-action rifles so uncommon, especially in places where semi-autos are more restricted?

Why are pump-action rifles so uncommon, especially in places where semi-autos are more restricted?

Attached: Model7600.jpg (3039x610, 148K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GA_t5Lnc2Uk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because they work poorly.

because fuckers who want to ban semi-autos generally also ban pump and lever action. After they've banned semi-autos they find logic and go
>yes we banned scary guns BUT THESE ARE ALMOST AS DANGEROUS
and so it goes.

I can see it right now, feinstein holding a mosin on TV
>This is a military sniper rifle
>Anyone can go into a store and buy one for less than the cost of a cell phone
>Initiates Sniper rifle and Assault shotgun ban of 2025 to ban all pump and bolt guns

hopefully she'll die of old-age before 2025

she's already mentally deficient so it's only a matter of time

daily reminder feinstein's driver of 20 years was a chinese spy

How? They would just be a more ergonomic straight pull bolt action rifle, and the only pump rifles made now are rimfires, which work fine.

No they don't.

Pump actions have weak primary extraction. In other words, they don't give you any mechanical advatnage to remove the fired case from the chamber. Because of that they only work well for low-pressure, straight-walled cartridges: stuff like rimfire, shotguns, and old black powder era stuff. The mechanism does not work well for higher pressure cartridges which require effort to extract a fired case. Compare that to a levergat which has an actual lever for extraction (but is still not as good as a bolt), or a bolt-action which has the camming surfaces of the locking lugs.

Look at this qualityposting.

Dunning-Kruger

youtube.com/watch?v=GA_t5Lnc2Uk
Gee, look at how this Aussie cunt struggles to extract these .308 Winchester casings.

I didn't say it couldn't be done, user. I said it was a disadvantage to the pump action design. Pump guns for 308 have an extra camming mechanism built in in order to facilitate extraction. It works a bit like a straight-pull bolt action like a Ross or a K31. That is one workaround for the problem, but it also makes the gun more expensive to build.

You need to work on your reading comprehension. You also need to study. I suggest starting with pic related.

Attached: Hatcher.jpg (324x499, 33K)

Considering most pump action rifles made these days are just rotating bolt rifles with a pump-slide essentially straightpulling it back and forth, why the fuck would you even bring any of this shit up?

Are you fucking retarded?

The 7600/7615 is pretty popular in Australia, tbqh.

what are some good pump action rifles Jow Forums?

Because they suck

I brought it up because it's the answer to the question which OP asked. Weak primary extraction is the reason why pump action rifles fell out of favor--just like leverguns, really. They worked fine with black powder cartridges or with the earliest smokeless cartridges but they weren't well suited to more modern cartridges so their development fell by the wayside in favor of better things. As a result they are now a niche product, just like levergats.

>Considering most pump action rifles made these days are just rotating bolt rifles with a pump-slide essentially straightpulling it back and forth
That's a good description of why they have weak extraction. The mechanism which converts the straight pull to a rotating motion to unlock the bolt is not very efficient; this is the same reason why straight-pull bolts like a Ross or a K31 aren't as smooth as a more traditional bolt action.

Idk if its just fuddlore but I've heard that having spitzer bullets lined up nose to primer in a tube mag could potentially cause the primer to detonate if the gun were say, dropped, causing a not fun time for the guy holding it and anyone around him. You dont have this problem with shotgun shells or many of the more rounded or flat nose lever gat calibers. Take it with a grain of salt but it makes sense to me as a possible reason why theyre less common

It was a noticeable risk back in the blackpowder era, given how sensitive primers were back then, but with modern ammunition this actually takes a lot of impact to make happen, as testing has shown.
Further, there's the matter of magazine tubes not actually being tightly sealed chambers, so it's not so much a catastrophic explosion as it would instead be one or more cartridges rupturing at the side, possibly burning only part of their load, making an ungodly fucking mess of soot, powder, brass fragments, and ruined cartridges, which is of course not good.

Beyond that, most pump-action rifles I know of that are around today use detachable box magazines, not an underbarrel tube magazine, so the point is moot anyway. There's even some lever-action rifles of such designs.

Attached: 18922_2__85644_09fc0dc6-2d82-4e48-9d09-74fb557783b2.jpg (1280x588, 265K)

Good post, pump action rifles are a meme. People should still be allowed to by them but there's no reason to when bolt actions are superior and lever actions are fun.

And Pennsylvania for some reason.

Daily reminder feinstein herself is an israeli spy.

ahh, Australia logic