WW2 Destroyers

Did they have any way to confirm a successful submarine destruction?

Attached: NH-91903.jpg (2400x1228, 547K)

If an oil slick appears where they thought the sub was, they got em

Oil slick, debris, noise from additional damage/implosion/explosion/.
Like most other kill confirmations at the time, not as accurate as would have liked.

at least an oil slick wouldn't be a too accurate sign that the sub is really destroyed. submarine warfare must have been a really uncertain thing then, you never know if you got them or if they're still out there waiting for a convoy to attack

I think I read somewhere that they could be pretty sure about killing the sub based on the color of the spout of water from the depth charge going off. If the spout was white the sub was still intact. If it was grey or brown or something the depth charge had ruptured the subs hull.

>Did they have any way to confirm a successful submarine destruction?
When they shot the submarine with their deck guns and it rolled over and sank.

Attached: USS_Chatelain_DE149_turns_about_to_sink_German_submarine_U515_April_10th_1944.png (1280x1011, 1.29M)

The sonar guy will hear it.

we developed sonar very rapidly when Uboats were fucking with atlantic trade routes and encroaching on our coasts

With hydrophones they could hear the implosion and collapse of bulkheads.
Then bodies and debris would float to the top.

Flotsam and the fact you have guys listening to the hull ripping apart.

Didn't some Japanese subs have barrels with oil, wood and cork in them that could be opened to create a fake debris field? i think i read something about that somewhere.

A sub in a tight spot being hunted could try to fake its death by shooting debris and oil out of a torpedo tube.
I remember a story where one even launched a corpse of someone who’d died, to make it more convincing.
But it’s impossible to fake the sound of implosion and bulkhead collapse, and if the destroyer has an active sonar contact it will know the hull is still there.

that black dude from police academy probably could do that though

Nah. They would ruin the the sonar by letting the rocker dude scream.

Gramps said (pacific destroyer) just oil and stuff would come up.
>TV showing the water blowing upward was BS the water would just shutter a bit.

One time a Sub was seen by the watch just as it went under them. Nothing picked it up not sonar or Hydrophone. This is are war ship and things don't work perfectly all the time.

The whole ship just clenched its asshole collectively and preyed it was a friendly sub. It just sailed right under them and continued on its way...

>Nothing picked it up not sonar or Hydrophone
Type XXI sub?

>Type XXI sub
I didn't know the Federal German Navy used nazi submarines till the mid 80s

>gramps now didn't imply people who served in the war

fuck zoomers

I'm not the guy with the pacific story, I just googled XXI sub and read that the German Bundesmarine used them untill the mid 80s, while the last ones were built in '45

You are literally just repeating that scene in U571

What?

yes because a movie from the last 20 years was the first time that idea was ever conceived, let alone having actually been done in the largest war in the history of mankind, featuring unrestricted submarine warfare campaigns by multiple nations in almost every part of the globe.

>Did they have any way to confirm a successful submarine destruction?
Okay I've read this book and in one of the earlier chapters he specifically talks about his experiences in terms of sinking American submarines. All of these incidents occurred during the first month of the Japanese-American war. One of these incidents was essentially a free kill because they'd managed to stumble upon an American submarine stranded on the surface in broad daylight. He suspected that the submarine must have been having some kind of engine problem because the crew appeared to be conducting repairs when he showed up. The crew of that sub never had a chance.

There was another incident in which his ship was attacked by a surfaced submarine during night-time. He survived only because somebody on the submarine had been smoking a cigarette, which caused the submarine to momentarily become visible in the darkness. Upon seeing the submarine, the captain inferred that it must have already fired torpedoes and ordered a hard turn, just in time to avoid being hit. The destroyer then swerved back and sank the submarine with gunfire.

For both of those incidents, there was no problem confirming the kill because the submarines were surfaced and he actually saw them get destroyed. But there was another incident in which his ship was attacked by a submerged submarine. He says that when a submarine is destroyed, it produces a thick black pool of oil on the surface of the ocean. However, he also says that submarines will also try to "play dead" sometimes by deliberately releasing oil in hopes of fooling the destroyer. For a while, he genuinely wasn't sure if he actually sank this particular submarine or not. He saw the oil, but thought that it could have been a trick. He stayed in the area for a while afterwards just to be sure that the submarine was actually dead. Eventually, he became convinced that the submarine had to be dead and moved on.

Attached: 51+58Oe+riL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (333x499, 41K)

this

Over the explosion itself? Maybe.

You mean shudder; and depth charge most definitely sends up gouts of water. A hedgehog hit wouldn't.

No, they fucking did not.
Neither Germany was allowed to keep any warbuilt or Electro-Boot postwar.

>when a submarine is destroyed, it produces a thick black pool of oil on the surface of the ocean
Subs were powered by diesel, not Bunker C.

They salvaged an xxi (U-2540) off the bottom and renamed it the wilhelm bauer and operated it until its retirement in the 80's. The sub is now a museum ship in Germany