Sup Jow Forums about to purchase my first .308 semi auto

Sup Jow Forums about to purchase my first .308 semi auto.

Between the big 4, what's the best one?

>m1a
>fal
>g3
>ar10

Attached: Screenshot_20190914-012319_DuckDuckGo.jpg (719x722, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-pClJVKfFyY&t=2s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

FN FAL>HK G3>AR 10>M1A

Attached: lionlager.jpg (710x960, 173K)

Y tho

AR10 if you are really poor or really rich
This but g3 and fal switched

An AR10, easily

I like the m1a, but I'm biased to loving it for its aesthetic.

SR25

Buy what ever you want. You aren't enough of a brainlet to let others decide your purchase are you? Besides, its your first 308 rifle. Buy something you like, not let a bunch of nogunz brainlets on the internet dictate your actions. If you can't tell. Jow Forums is full of brainlets so, don't trust them.

OP clearly isn't an informed buyer and needs more info to make a decision for himself.

FAL all day every day. Go check out falfiles.com

The AR-10 is probably the best in an objective sense. They have gotten cheap and because the bolt locks directly into a barrel extension like the AR-15, the accuracy potential is very good. Overall it benefits from a lot of the same advantages as the AR-15 just scaled up to .308. It is light, accurate, easy to tear down and accessorise.
I'm not too keen on overall durability if you decide to give one a serious beating but that's probably a non issue. There's also the issue that they aren't always cross compatible on parts since there is no one standard pattern. In my experience they can be picky with ammunition too, but that depends on the gun.

The G3, or rather PTR-91 is a strong contender too. It is pretty affordable, accurate, balls reliable, and can take a serious beating. Ammunition choice is also a non-issue as it eats even the worst ammo and violently tosses the brass when finished. It is also fairly easy to accessorise, but getting something authentic can be expensive. I recommend getting one with a picatinny rail welded on top unless you are a stickler for the authentic aesthetic.
On the downside, it's just a really clunky and not very pleasant gun to shoot. Controls are stiff and awkwardly positioned, balance is poor and I don't care for the diopter sights. I want to love it but I just hate shooting it. I'm not everyone though, so try one out and if you don't mind the ergonomic shortfalls buy one. They are great rifles.

I have an M1A and love it, but it's best as a basic and very traditional rifle. If you like traditional bolt action rifle a and God tier aperture sights you'll love it.
If you want peak performance you'll hate it. It is considered an abysmal miserable failure of a rifle, which I contend is an exaggeration. Out if the box a standard M1A will generally be fairly accurate, reliable and easy to shoot well. Getting anything more out of it gets expensive and heavy very quickly.

I have one of these and it is a heavy fucker, but it is so solid that with wolf steel cased ammo it shoots soft. My AR10 feels like it has a lot more recoil since it is so light.

Attached: ptrfr-2-of-10-jpg-product-product-product-product-product-product-product-product-product-product-pr (1000x540, 456K)

It's not that an M1A can't shoot 1MOA or be tactical or take an optic without it losing zero, but you will be fighting with the design the whole time trying to accomplish all of those things. It is best enjoyed as a pretty rifle that shoots OK and feels just right if you're used to WW2 era rifles.
Additionally, if Springfield Inc. isn't to your liking there are several better manufacturers of M14geries, but they will universally cost more.

The FAL is also a pretty good rifle. The balance and control layouts are fantastic, it is beautiful and everyone here will think you're cool for owning one.
There are just a few small problems. It isn't known for stellar long range precision thanks to the tipping bolt operation and having sights on two separate parts of the gun that pivot from each other. If also should to be adjusted for the ammo you are running, although you can usually find a setting that works well for most ball ammo.
That isn't to say that you can't tune a FAL to shoot well with an optic, but much like the M1A it's best left alone and enjoyed as is. Slam cheap NATO ball out of it against steel plate and don't worry too much about group sizes.
There's also the slight issue that if you want a new one DSA is basically the only game in town and purists like to turn their noses up at them. You can always buy used off FALfiles or build a kit if you can find one and don't mind going down that rabbit hole.

Oh God every time I handled one of the standard barrel profile models it felt like such a boat anchor. Not even that heavy per se just badly balanced. I'm sure they shoot a bit better but the Government profile barrels point so much better (I love pencil profile barrels on AR-15s for the same reason). G3s just don't have much weight in the back to balance it out.

That said good on PTR for finally making paddle releases standard, that makes magazine changes much smoother than they used to be.

G3 is badass, FAL is beautiful, but only the ar10 is any good. I had to sell my ptr and m1a after finishing my ar builds they just suck so bad in comparison

My FAL is the first Raifu I bought, buuut my next .308 is gonna be this AR10 build that's been floating on Jow Forums except with a goddamn dust cover.

Shot all in question but the G3 tho
>M1A, accurate, chinwelding with optic, fumbly ass mag well, stripping is a pain in my opinion. And yeah. What every other Desu says about it being a Boomer Bench Piece
>FAL, fuck I need another click, fuck I need another click, how much gas do I need?! Tuning on the fly is annoying, 'bout my only complaint
>AR10 everything you already know, just in REAL FUCKIN NATO.

Attached: 1567388520196.jpg (3956x2253, 3.53M)

>what's the best one?
In terms of actual function, accuracy, usability, customization, etc.: AR10. Without a doubt. If you actually want a 308 for a utilitarian purpose like hunting or defense, an AR10 is a no brainer.
If you want a cool gun for having fun and reliving the Cold War (which is 90%+ of non-nogunz Jow Forums, myself included), an FAL or G3 is the way to go. The FAL has much better ergonomics, softer recoil (if set up correctly for your ammo), and a history that is near and dear to Jow Forums's heart (Rhodesian Bush War, being a Man among Men, etc.). FAL's are more expensive and less available than G3 pattern guns. G3's are also cool, but in a different way. They're more difficult to use effectively, and are in general a less refined system (not meaning less quality or finish, just fewer creature comforts, more basic). Operating the rifle requires more upper body strength than is typical, there's no bolt hold open, and it tends to destroy brass.

The M1A is just a clunkier Garand. Get a Garand instead. They can be had in 308 if you're dead set on that caliber and don't mind being a heretic.

Attached: e365708486182a4d9a66b320516146b7.jpg (2000x1484, 323K)

OP I think this user about has it
Although. Personally, having played with friends' Garands, I find the M1A underwhelming for handling and carrying. Although I've considered the merits of trying to shove a pencil barrel, straight stock and sights on one as a bastard's T25 prototype

In regards to the AR10 tho, would you say parts fragility not worth their availability and cost? I've grown tired of regulating gas in a hot ass handguard.

And I agree, DSA is basically THE GAME left for FALs, kits are gone, hell most manufacturers globally are. Anyone who is snobby toward Austrian Spec rifles fresh out the factory is a cunt who doesn't work with their guns

If you can stand karl inrange tv just did a on the clock comparison of these and more.

>No-gunz you say?
Allow me to curb your rhetoric.
The G3 is not that much cheaper than a FAL
>PTR91 for $945
>DSA SA58 for $1,029
(Both on Atlantic)
G3 is more accurate and reliable, mounts optics better. If you give a fuck about recoil and mag changes. Then you give a fuck about recoil and mag changes.

I own a DSA built FAL. You have to have consistent ammo. Tuning it for low recoil? That's making future malfunctions. It has lower recoil by virtue of a locked breach and being heavier. Optics require a modified dust cover, which makes me weary about zero.

My gunsmith spent a few days or so making sure the barrel was properly aligned in the receiver.
>Good ammo off a bench at 75 yards it was inch and a half group

M1As are accurate, they shoot nicely. Just fuck the words: bedding, optics, mag change, or standing while firing. But if OP intends to be innawoods with one of these choices, I'd rather he leave the Garand at home and take the M14gery

AR10s. Sure. The best. If you have the build that works for you. Wrong build can be fragile. And parts compatibility between brands is something that requires HEAVY research. That's THE reason I'm still messing with the parts list for my build.

>No-gunz you say?
I said non-nogunz, as in someone who owns guns.
>The G3 is not that much cheaper than a FAL
>PTR91 for $945
>DSA SA58 for $1,029
>(Both on Atlantic)
Couple things:
1. The C308 exists. The QA is shit, but if you manage to get a good one, its ~90% as good as a PTR for ~65% of the price.
2. I consider the DSA Voyager series to be a bit sketchy, and I personally wouldn't get one. Kind of the C308 of FALs, but costing four figures.

In my mind the pricing is $600s for a C308 (and be prepared to have it worked on), $900s for a PTR, or $1500-1700 for a DSA FAL.
>Tuning it for low recoil? That's making future malfunctions. It has lower recoil by virtue of a locked breach and being heavier.
Fair enough. By "setup correctly for your ammo" I meant "not comically over gassed to eat every third world country's 45 year old surplus ammo"
>Wrong build can be fragile. And parts compatibility between brands is something that requires HEAVY research.
Given the wording of OP's question, I assumed he would be buying rather than building.

PTR-91s are dropping in price again, supply returned. That won’t last forever but it’s something to note.

OP, I think you should just choose the coolest one/the one you like most. .308 is an older round now; I suspect we’ll see very strong competition to replace it soon enough. I love it, though, it’s near and dear to my heart and pretty damn cheap for a proper rifle round.

Whatever you get, know this: FAL and G3, by today’s standards, are both totally obsolete. Roller-delayed is less reliable and wears out faster than gas operated. However, they are fun and cool, and conversation starters. I get a lot of questions about my basic bitch PTR-91 GI, while I rarely hear anyone asking to handle an AR-10. My personal preference is (obviously) the G3, but I’m a pretty big guy and have no issues with the charging handle or mag release. Mt 5’9 roommate can’t actually reach the charging handle without bringing the gun into his workspace.

FALs are definitely more ergonomic, and a lot of people will have an “oh, cool!” reaction to them. I want one for my gun after next gun, despite having a G3 as well.

Enjoy whatever you get, OP. It’s a blast.

One thing that the M1A has going for it is that it does not feature a pistol grip which makes it less susceptible to an issue with future assault weapon bans. I think the AR10 is the easy choice but I’ve wanted a national match M1A for a while now. They’re just expensive

Pic related

I used to have a CETME because it really does look nice, but the ergonomics such as charging and safety selector was not very good.

I have a very nicely made M14 that I very much love but it’s heavy. I still prefer the M14.

I have never owned an AR10, but I assume I would like it.

The right gun for you is the one you like, the one you can hit things with, and can afford.

Every American should own a Garand on principle. A classic wood furniture FAL with the carry handle is extremely stylish and fun

AR 10 if you're a basic bitch that doesn't mind 4MOA out of the box

How about the Kel-Tec RFB?

But I heard that sand and dirt really bothers them when you're out in the wilderness and getting dirty. Is this true??

broken link

Seriously OP?
ok

The m1a 16 inch TANKER model
its msrp 1900 bucks

but its worth it.

I say this because its a great gun, mags and ammo are everywhere. Its not a scary black rifle.
Its real fuckin nato and...
and... ITS GOING TO BE the gun that survives the up coming ban.
Yep the Ban is coming and this gun will be top of the mountain in legal options you will have left.

>best
depends on what you're after but almost always it's the AR10.
good ergos, more accurate, lighter (usually), easier to mod, easy/familiar breakdown.

you can't go wrong either way unless you're a retard who actually doesn't like battle rifles to begin with.
ptr91 is generally the cheapest option, though maybe cheaper ar10s exist in stock somewhere

>heavy
ALL OF THE BIG 3 ARE 9LBS YOU FUCKING WEAK ASS
>badly balanced
yeah but this is not unique to ptr91 when talking about rifles from the era.

>supply returned
just skimmed atlantic and yeah some are finally back in stock. that's great!

>shorter version of the m1a is going to survive the ban while the standard/match models won't
u sum kinda retard?
i think the m1a is only banned in maryland, and even then by name and not features.

Allow me to open on apologies user. Sorry for misunderstanding
>C308 and Voyager
They are cheaper but I didn't mention them out of my bias for the QC of those products.
>Tuning for recoil
More importantly, the gas system makes switching ammo a pain in the ass. If I want to hunt with my FAL, either I need enough of my hunting ammo to adjust the gas properly, or it's gotta match the ball I've been running exactly
>Wrong build
OP is probably buying you're right, but I still stand by the parts compatibility statement. Both for sourcing replacement parts and upgrading it down the line

>More importantly this is Jow Forums, why are we considering a ban as a reasonable guideline . . .

>4MOA
Le fuck are you buying from Desu?

The Brits bought AR10's for Afghanistan. They are very happy with them. If you are rich buying from Lewis machine and tool will give you a fine weapon.

Attached: sharpshooter.jpg (634x330, 44K)

>
>But I heard that sand and dirt really bothers them when you're out in the wilderness and getting dirty. Is this true??
Don't leave your dust cover open user, and like any rifle, be aware of what lube you use.
>But seriously AR problems are usually in the lube

>It's not that an M1A can't shoot 1MOA or be tactical or take an optic without it losing zero, but you will be fighting with the design

wtfamireading.jpg
>a battle rifle can't be tactical
>fighting with an M1A to take a scope

>M1A and love it, but it's best as a basic and very traditional rifle. If you like traditional bolt action rifle

OH MY GOD

ahahahahaha
>tripfag is noguns

>4MOA out of the box

The hell are you smoking?

M1a ftw

I see two choices.
1) get the G3
2) get any of the other rifles and kill yourself with it

If it's for actual use then obviously a modern AR10. There's simply no comparison.

If it's just for fun then any of them.

I found it the other way around where the M1A is a less klunky Garand, but it depends on barrel profile. I have an early model with USGI parts and a 62 USGI H&R barrel which is a relatively thin government profile. Shoots great but also balances well. I had a Garand and didn't particularly like the en bloc loading system (people complain about M14 rock and lock too but you can run it like an AK, in fact it's a little better because BHO and the magazine release is easier to actuate). Garands are more front-heavy due to the long stroke gas system sitting all the way at the muzzle whereas M14s use a short-stroke system that's much farther back.

That said, a lot of M1As have started using chunky barrels that do nothing for accuracy and completely dick that good balance up. I recently got a Scout Squad expecting a lot but it turned out to be heavier than my older standard 22". Didn't like it, sold it, sticking with what I have.
AR10s don't just win out for availability and cost but also ergonomics, weight and accuracy. They are objectively the best option. I think the only thing they really lack assuming you get one that's not too picky with ammo is cool factor. In the day of AR-15s being common as cornbread the AR-10 just doesn't raise many eyebrows.
I disagree that the M1A is bad for standing while firing. Maybe it's just all the trigger time I've had but I can make steel dance with mine. Just because it doesn't have a vertical pistol grip doesn't relegate it exclusively for bench shooting.

As for mag changes, you can do AK-style bump changes very easily with only a little practice. But that is still not as good as a FAL or AR. The FAL's magazine and bolt release positions are amazing.
I haven't seen a lot of C308s lately and the ones I'm seeing new have been going up in price. Maybe it's just my area though. If it's close I'd take the PTR not only for the better QC but also the paddle release. Fuck the G3 button release.

I wouldn't buy a gun just to comply with some hypothetical future ban. For all you know they'll just ban the M1A too.

Also regarding the NMs, think long and hard about that decision. They are not only more expensive but they are truly chunky guns. Compare one with a Standard model and think very seriously about just how badly you need that extra bit of accuracy because a standard will shoot 90% as well and will be far more usable for everything besides bench shooting.

If you intend to actually shoot it in a match that's a different story.
They are very cool and have a cult following. Reliability and durability in the long term are a bit questionable because of Kel-Tec but word on the ground seems to be that they are better than most of KT's regular products. For what that's worth.
Actually they are very resistant to sand and dirt because like the regular AR-15 they are good at keeping it out in the first place. If it gets in you've got problems, but it's easy enough to tear down, clean out and lube up.

If anything my M1A is more vulnerable because it's so exposed, but I've dragged it through enough woods and deserts to know that it can keep up just fine as long as you aren't being stupid.
I would never pay 1900 for an M1A when you can get a slightly used one for 1200 or less any day of the week. I've even seen early 5-digit ones with all USGI parts selling south of 1300 recently and those are the ones to get.
I learned all of this stuff first-hand. Getting a good light low-profile scope mount on an M14 that actually holds zero is a pain. And you can make an M1A a door kicker gun, but you will be kludging the design to do so. It really is better left as-is.

If you want a sleek, optics-ready modular weapon system in .308 get an AR-10.

Brainlet brainless brainlet, brainlet brainlet.

Leaf here, I love my $500 china m14. I think the platform wouldn't have such a bad rap if burgers had access to them instead of having to spend assloads on a Springfield M1A

But I also accept that it's inferior to other NATO battle rifles

G3 is the worst battle rifle ever devised.

youtube.com/watch?v=-pClJVKfFyY&t=2s

>I would never pay 1900 for an M1A when you can get a slightly used one for 1200 or less any day of the week. I've even seen early 5-digit ones with all USGI parts selling south of 1300 recently and those are the ones to get.
where

m1as on buds aren't even $1900. the standard seems to be around $1300 (up from ~$1200 last year) and scouts are ~$1400.
So that user is retarded now matter how you paint it.

dude you think a M1A is a bolt action rifle. You're absolutely over. retire your trip and take the L, nogunz

No, I said it handles similar to a bolt action rifle.

Pls help i wanna build an AR-10 but have no idea where to begin as to what brands are compatible with each other

It has a bull barrel, you goober

If you're dead set on a M1A, get the SOCOM 16 as it's a decent battle rifle. It isn't accurate as the others, but it will do the job well.

I think I read something somewhere about people who get upset about reading the same word again and again, even if used properly, in the same sentence or paragraph being linked to anger issues or psychopathic traits.

Are you healthy to own guns user? :)

>sacrifice m14 aesthetic for gay plastic furniture
>16" 308
>noisiest comp I've ever heard that wasn't a straight up brake
NOPE

That's the hottest abortion I've seen on any showroom in my life. The absolute only reason any sane person want's a M1A is for the M14 aesthetic and you just threw that out the fucking window in a heartbeat for rails and low speed high drag. Disgraceful.

I rented a M1A SOCOM 16 a few months ago and the concussion from firing this thing was absolutely mind numbing. I just couldn’t believe it. It was like the air was sucked out of my lungs and an elephant kicked me in the chest. Never mind that it was completely tenderizing my pec/delt area. Was I just being a pussy or do these really fire that powerful of a round?

Attached: B0516A71-D04F-4899-AC25-E8D3D8225CF4.jpg (4032x3024, 2.6M)

never fired socom but have a standard m1a and it's fine.
the loudness and concussive nature was more than likely due to being at an indoor range with that compensator.
kick on a standard m1a isn't bad but i can't say for the socom. doubt it's that bad.

You're being a puss

Probably being multiplied by being indoors with that brake

It's probably because of the indoor range. I have shot/been around SOCOM 16s outdoors and you notice them but they don't scramble your brains.
The only time I've had that happen outdoors was when an user brought a 16" PTR with what I can best describe as a Barett brake to a meet and even though we were out on BLM land that thing was legitimately disorienting to be anywhere near.

And yes .308 is pretty powerful. That's why people like battle rifles. It does take some heft and maybe a decent muzzle device to make one a smooth shooter. Knowing how to properly brace it goes a long way too.

AR10 if you're poor and can't afford an old parts kit FAL, old parts kit FAL if not suffering from the poor. The only acceptable reason to buy an M1A is for Shugart cosplay, and the G3 is an all around meme

>I have an M1A and love it, but it's best as a basic and very traditional rifle. If you like traditional bolt action rifle a and God tier aperture sights you'll love it.

post your guns.

NOW

>good rifle if you're poor, shitty old inaccurate rifle if you're not poor
but why

You're a pussy. I magdump my m1a scout every range trip and it's a blast. Try 12ga magnum slugs, that's an actual kick.

lol, you baby. i went shooting with my 12-year-old niece last week and she was rocking a 16" barrel FAL no problem

I don't know why I bother, but here you go.
You do realize that I am saying it's a rifle you would like if you like a traditional bolt action, not that it is a bolt-action obviously.

Attached: IMG_20190914_155903.jpg (1294x2304, 642K)

When I bought a rifle years ago, I had to go with the M1A SOCOM 16 due to laws in my shitty state. While it's a fun rifle to shoot, it's pretty difficult to maneuver due to all the weight in the front of the rifle. I tried to alleviate this by removing the SOCOM 16 rail attached to the barrel, but it didn't help much. I would like to get better control by wrapping my left hand around the front of the rifle, but my thumb obscures the sight picture, and my fingers end up contacting the operating rod. I ended up buying a cheap sling and wrapping it around my left hand where it attaches to the front. It's a shitty solution, but it works, more or less.

If I had the option, I would build a FAL or AR10.

>chop back a rifle because muh CQB
>put stupid comp on it
you can thank springfield armory
even outdoors the concussion and noise is bothersome

battle rifles are more about fun and larp than they are about practical use.
you can buy the oldschool designs from over half a century ago but they're not going to be as good as a continuously updated design that has only grown in popularity as time has gone on.

AR10 if you care about accuracy, FAL if you listen to Clem Thelot more than you should, G3 if you like HK stuff, and m1a if you are a delusional boomer.

He loves men in short-shorts that much.

>He actually owns one.
Shut up Boomer. All opinions dismissed.

>>German rifle designed to optimize reliability and production costs can be produced for ~$600 and still handle whatever dirty ass .308 you load in it
>>Isn't comfortable enough to shoot for American women accustomed to $800 AR ergonomics
Come on now. The the value of a weapon isn't just the tactical application of it.

Attached: 1When+the+post+is+quotpretty+goodquot+_4321652f3f60131b2d3f3583384ed5f4.jpg (680x551, 30K)

Stop posting and being rude. Wumbos opinions, while I disagree some what, are written properly and well conceived ... Why don't you post your guns

Be more careful with your wording next time. You have been warned.

also, your opinion on the M!A remains total shit. it is absolutely nothing like a bolt action rife, it is absolute tits to install an optic and it started off as a tactical platform so calling it anything else is fundamentally retarded.

lol 2 MOA