How much more durable is the AK than an AR?

How much more durable is the AK than an AR?

Attached: CskXC92UMAAK4x-.jpg_large.jpg (2040x1372, 465K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ar15.com/forums/AR-15/High-round-count-AR-M4-s-over-100-000-rounds-and-how-they-have-handled-on-our-range/118-677135/?page=1
ar15.com/forums/ak-47/AK_abuse__home_built_version_update_on_Page_6_/64-159106/?
youtube.com/watch?v=qBAh_8usXBI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why dont you watch one of the thousand comparison videos on youtube?

A thread died for this you pleb.

It's not.

The AK's value comes from the simple fact that the Warsaw Pact and third world countries mass produced it in such quantities that most part related issues can be solved by shoving a surplus part into it.

Mechanically the ak but not by much, the gas tube for example is much sturdier

There are no AKs on your picture. However, AKs are known to function for longer than ARs without maintenance before breaking completely down, due to looser tolerances. Functioning is one thing though; still hitting the target is something else.

I would rather have an AK than an AR if there was no weapons maintenance section with spare parts to hand the gun over to once something stopped working.

>There are no AKs on your picture.
Nigger if OP wanted you to be a little bitch he would've asked.

Attached: file.png (680x680, 117K)

Attached: w3eWIZZ.jpg (736x489, 78K)

AR will survive a battle. AK will survive the war.

Attached: 1211411197247.jpg (295x295, 21K)

Depends on your set-up.

Quality M16A2+ pattern? They're equally as durable. Cheap civilian AR with a shoddy collapsing stock and mystery meat aluminum? The AK will be better at hammering nails.

Attached: M16A2.jpg (972x656, 104K)

It's not any more durable at all... Honestly it's quite the opposite... an AR15 with the dust cover closed will be far superior by reliability and durability to an AKM in every single way... By durability wood would rot out and polymer won't... On top of this AR15s are made of much better metals then most akms but the biggest factor being that you can't switch out parts like you can on an AR15.. For the big parts on an AKM once it's done it's done...no going back

The invincible AK thing is just a meme

it looks like something this guy would make with clay furnace and a pair of sticks...

Attached: primitive technology.jpg (1104x632, 298K)

It's pretty much same shit and small-arms are fucking irrelevant.

kek

AKs tend to be more robust in that they will cycle under more adverse conditions than an AR and tend to have more structural rigidity. As far as realistic use, the AR will be more servicable and either rifle will hold up to a lifetime of abuse while maintaining reliability and function. Seriously.

Heavily used ARs will tend to have bolt failure after 20,000+ rounds easily fixed by a mail order part that costs less than 100$. Beyond that, the barrel wears out around 35,000-100,000 rounds and receivers lasting almost three times longer. AK receivers will beat themselves to death around 80,000-100,000 rounds with bolts needing replacement as headspacing becomes an issue.
ar15.com/forums/AR-15/High-round-count-AR-M4-s-over-100-000-rounds-and-how-they-have-handled-on-our-range/118-677135/?page=1
ar15.com/forums/ak-47/AK_abuse__home_built_version_update_on_Page_6_/64-159106/?

>durable
>duct tape and a prayer keeping the stock attached
OP has once again demonstrated he is a faggot

Attached: crummy ak.jpg (338x245, 23K)

Probably a meme question but would'nt AK chambers wear out of spec faster if they're only being fed steel cased ammunition?

The furniture may be shit, but the action is reliable and has loose tolerances.

It is lower pressure and a larger diameter

Lots user. Lots. The AK was made to be a fucking tank, and it is. I’ve had lots of issues with my ARs in the field.
It is what it is. I love ARs, but what can zi say, the AK has more power, and is more reliable

Brass will wear down your firearm more then steel cases, steel cases are softer then brass ones.

youtube.com/watch?v=qBAh_8usXBI

It's made out of steel rather than aluminum, it's less likely to bend. You can bend an AR buffer tube out of spec with your bare hands or a good jolt onto the ground, whereas an AK can withstand being run over by a truck and not bend enough to be out of spec.

There's more room inside to allow for more play before the bolt carrier binds. Its action is so robust it can run when pretty damn rusted out. With the AR, everything is fit so tightly that if something is bent or rusted or obstructed slightly, it WILL bind. Again you see this a lot with their buffer tubes, it's hella thin hollow aluminum guarded only by plastic. There are no metal stock options, or if you find one tell me because I've looked all over but ARfags only seem to want toy plastic stocks so that's all there is. There are also other thin areas such as the strip beneath the ejection port. 1mm of aluminum that if bent, will cause the gun to cease to function, the BGC will get stuck in place.

You don't have to clean an AK, ever, though I wouldn't advise that. You have to not only keep an AR clean, but well lubed. I thought I got a lemon when I got my first AR because I didn't lube it, I was used to slavshit that you never have to lube, though again I wouldn't advise that. But if you were prevented from cleaning and keeping your rifle lubed, like in war or SHTF, the AK will serve you better.

Just don't shovel mud into the reciever and shoot cheap underpowered Tula, and it'll keep running.

Nah. Notice the lack of sling from natural materials. Same with chest with eith several AK mag pouches. All made from natural materials.

I'm going to give you this advice now, ARfags. As someone who's had their lube evaporate from being left in a patrol car for a couple months, you will need to carry some lube if you want your AR to function as an SHTF rifle. Keep a quart of that shit in your BoB, and a small parts kit.

You lose a cam pin or firing pin retaining pin while cleaning, your rifle is out of commission. With an AK though, the parts are too damn big to lose.

Lol so much bullshit in one post

This is not true. Friction coefficient and subsequent wear cannot be determined by hardness alone since the casing is not "cutting" the steel of the chamber. Clean brass on steel will induce less wear than steel and aluminum in basically all applications

Lmao @ people who talk up the AR like it's the pinnacle of reliability. At least claim the SCAR or Robinson XCR (FNC copy) are tops.

There are also AKs that have some more modern reliability features, like the Galil Ace with it's sealed action. What are you going to say when someone invents an aftermarket dust cover for standard AKs that does what the Galil Ace dust cover does? How will you claim it's more reliable then?

Also the metal you speak of is fucking aluminum. In no way other than weight is that better than steel, and I would argue that since firearms require a certain degree of robustness, the weight trade off isn't worth it you weakfag. It isn't even worth it for mags. Compare your disposable aluminum GI mags to steel AK mags that last 3 lifetimes...

Its bolt is built to last longer.

That's about it.

Smaller and more numerous working parts in the AR that do take wear

It is. Kalashnikov designed the weapon with simplicity and reliability in mind. The simplicity is what enabled Soviets to churn them out in such quantity.

wrong.

"Gas tube"

It depends. Simplicity and reliability change as time goes on.

With modern machinery and tooling, an AR is cheaper and simpler to produce. It is more reliable with modern ammunition.

However, an AR would be impossible to produce in quantity in the 1940s, and those that could be made would have atrocious reliability with the propellant quality available.

Like 37

>In no way other than weight is that better than steel
Corossion resistance comes to mind

>You lose a cam pin or firing pin retaining pin while cleaning
A quick wipe and lube of the BCG will keep an AR running forever.

Czechmate ak boi

Attached: d2a61730a0f0c93f3e45887843832bce.jpg (900x506, 148K)

From personal experience - a lot, but it only shows over time. The AR has a lot of little parts that require being very clean, or can't be worn at all. The AK is just blocks on blocks of steel with very few smaller parts. The SKS is similar in that way.

The AR has a non-intuative disassembly routine, and the bolt/bolt carrier assembly just feels rickety. The dust cover is mostly decorative, the stock is a literal plastic tube, and it's basically a shit design that was supported by a 60s army general so he could have a legecy in his mostly dull career. The Colt lobby kept it going, just like the Beretta lobby kept failures and poor heat treating of parts quiet. (USMC went back to the 1911A1 due to this, not the caliber difference) The AR's place in the market is due to it's role is movies (thank the CIA for that), the over production of military parts, and how easy it is to sell tack-on bullshit accesories. Bushmaster actually used the same marketing team that Matel uses for Barbie products - the money is in the accesories. The AR is profitable patriotism.

The "loose tolerance' thing you'll hear about with AKs is a blessing. Every thing in front of the foretrunnion is solid as a tank. The only loose parts are the action components within the receiver, and it's that loose fit that helps it slide and cycle like a locomotive. It only has one single drawback - the standard sights are shit. It's a very small sight plane with very angular sights. Our eyes tend to fix on angles, so having a sight picture that is nothing but angles is distracting. That's why apetures are normally more accurate. But with modern replacement sights, an AK is the superior gun for all purposes by a mile.

If op didn't want dump fuck answers he shouldn't have asked a dumbfuck question that doesn't need a thread.
If op had a brain it could have easily googled of of the thousands of sources that range from broad generalizations to indept detail orientated comparisons.

But no, like you op guzzles cum on an hourly basis, and so here we are.

>in 7.62x39
Should've posted this, I might've believed you then.

Attached: 1452313796068.jpg (991x660, 84K)

You don't shoot enough for it to matter.

The sights are fine if you know how to use them. You can get very accurate shots in since it's just a matter of lining them up equal height equal light, like pistol sights.

If it bugs you get a Krebs rear peep sight. I have it on mine and it's the best sight picture of any rifle I own. It's a simple part but a game changer. Quick target acquisition too, because you just line the rear circle with the front circle.

>fine
Such a high standard.

Attached: 1568056188959.jpg (480x477, 14K)

It was in 1970. These days a decently built AR can more or less match an AK's reliability while being lighter and more precise.

So if you are time traveling to the late 60's, pick up an east German AK. Otherwise, the made by Mattel Barbie's Dream Rifle is fine.

Aluminum doesn’t rust brown

i still don't get how people have trouble using open sights like the AK, i own an AMD-65 and an AR15 and i can use both sights very well

That's not rust user. I think it's just moldy, honestly.
It was the only "beat up" AR pic I had in my folder.

Attached: 39851032_785409351850513_4002531283577077760_n.jpg (1080x1279, 222K)

Not OP, sorry to be a dumbfuck but education about guns is not really common where I'm from.
How do you recognize all the subvariants ? Is there some sort of identification chart or is it by the presence of certain features on the guns ?

Attached: 1567816466965.png (220x200, 67K)

don't worry, it's just an autist, but there is multiple variants or the AK type rifle, the one in your picture are RPKs, then there is all other models made by russians, chinese and many other countries all over the world, you can take a look at them doing a quick search on google

Where are you from?
>How do you recognize all the subvariants?
Time and information. Read some books.
>Is there some sort of identification chart or is it by the presence of certain features on the guns ?
No and yes.
The user you're replying to is saying there's no AKs in that pic because he's under the impression that RPKs are somehow not AKs.

Attached: 15877528_1297357090327187_6453830670304149504_n.jpg (750x750, 78K)

I will, thank you user
I'm from France. But not military or law enforcement. I'll try to get some books on it, what books should I go for ?

Do you also look at people wearing distressed jeans and assume they are manual laborers?

Fuck ton.

Do you need books in French, or is English ok? And do you just want to learn about the AK? Because it's a LONG journey.
I can tell if someone earned the "distress" in the legwear, friend. And even the people with genuine wear are rarely manual laborers. Those guys can afford new pants, quite easily.

Attached: 1456382001004.jpg (640x479, 105K)

English is fine. And to be honest most of the french books I found are either no gun propaganda or history books only explaining in the basics the workings of firearms.
I want to learn as much as possible.

Then the Kalashnikov Encyclopaedia's should be a good start. Plenty of variants shown in them.
If you want to learn the inner workings, ask your Albanian neighbors with M70s. They can probably show you better than a book can.

I will, thanks a lot for the advices user

>The simplicity is what enabled Soviets to churn them out in such quantity.
And yet Americans fuck it up.

I am the one you commented to. I referred to the guns on OP's pictures as 'non-AKs' because they clearly have the long barrels and bipods of the RPK light machinegun. While also designed by Kalashnikovs they fulfill a different role in combat than your standard automatic rifle. An M249 is similarly rarely described as an AR.

And while I am at it; this is a handy ID guide.

Attached: 1495162167849.jpg (1496x2400, 580K)

Ok. Please explain how an RPK and an AK are different, other than the length of the barrel and the receiver strengthening.
And then explain the differences between the AR and M249.

Do you lack access to Wikipedia?

An RPK is made for sustained, more accurate fire from a longer distance than a typical AK. Same with the M249 versus the M16 variations.

But, don't be shy! Write a huge post going into all the details! Clearly you are itching to tell them.

>AK-74
>AKS-74
>AK-74M
>AKS-74
Where did the M go?

M stood for 'modernized'. Became meaningless as soon as next upgrade happened. Could still show up on future versions where it makes sense.

Lower quality gun is worse than better quality gun? Wowwww so surprising. It’s like Mil-Spec guns are better somehow

t. noguns

They all look the same to me

Attached: CEF5A5B8-DD02-45AE-9361-8E56CCE1330C.jpg (337x500, 21K)

The basic construction has remained amazingly consistent; like the Colt 1911 and the Mauser bolt rifle it proves that good designs last.

Main obvious differences lies in calibre, stock material and solid vs folding butt. Some eastern european variations provide a forward vertical grip. Less obvious bits include different manufacturing methods, while there is a quality difference both to the decades parting their production and in some cases, like the Finnish Valmet, a superiod production quality.

Settle down reddit.

You know they make AKs that have polymer furniture right?
You DO realize that countries like Poland, Finland, East Germany, Serbia, Bulgaria, and yes, even backwards ass Russia have GOOD QUALITY STEEL they use for their weapons.
Like this shit isn’t all potmetal that will rust after being left in the rain for a day.

>An RPK is made for sustained, more accurate fire from a longer distance than a typical AK. Same with the M249 versus the M16 variations.
So you are a retard? WTF does their role as a weapon have to do with how it functions?

It's very obviously blood

Does the pope wear a hat?

>mystery meat aluminum
I am unaware of a single budget AR15 that doesnt used 7075 aluminum like the m16a2 does.

The only similarly the AR has with the SAW is that they fire the same round.

>preferred gender is AR-M1
>not represented
REEEE

>What are you going to say when someone invents an aftermarket dust cover for standard AKs that does what the Galil Ace dust cover does? How will you claim it's more reliable then?
Make sure to let us know when that happens I guess

Brainlet

AK and RPK use the same operating system
with a large part of parts being interchangeable.
now an AR and a SAW nigger are you smoking crack?

It’s not. People who unironically think the AK is unbreakable are the same people who’s fallen for the “revolvers don’t jam” fallacy. If and AK doesn’t function, it’s over, you’re probably too low INT to ever get it working again.

>East Germany
user...
I...

>wz 88
>5.56

the thing is, if you fall on your AK, run it over or some such, the sheet metal reciever will flex and return to true some. an AR subject to the same forces will have the reciever snap, the barrel nut fail etc. the AK, being steel is somewhat more robust.

And something of great value was surely lost

Hasn't been done because it's really a non issue.

If you've taken a class on tactics the first thing you do before crawling is flip your safety and dust cover. I'll point out that with the AK that's one movement, with the AR it's two. Most AR guys don't actually employ flipping their dust cover up before crawling in the field as a result. But any time you're in the dirt/mud/brush your safety and dust cover should be activated until you're firing again.

Who said they're unbreakable?

Attached: 328dc447b15a9bda9691812415e67f76.jpg (797x1024, 215K)

GR8 B8 M8 I R8 8/8

Weak ass buffer tube
Weak shitty pins that fly out if unscrew buffer.
lol that bolt carrier and more retard pins
hahahah needs a tool to put hand gaurds back on.
LOL RETENTION SPRINGS TO FALL OUT AND GO bye bye in the dirt
Good luck with a FTE..no on baord cleaning rod and can't get a knife into an AR15 starchamber like can an AKM

AR15 not even once

>I know what I got, no tire kickers

>East germany didn't make ak's

holy retard alert.

That is a nice list but
Why does the RPK have a straight fucking mag

Drum mag

Idk man it looks like a wonky straight mag to me, not at all like a drum. Kind of misleading as almost all of them could take drums, why make just that one different?

wrong.

Attached: 1567603591495.jpg (613x638, 79K)