Could a .45-70 lever gat be accurate at 400 yards with really light, super high velocity ammo?

Could a .45-70 lever gat be accurate at 400 yards with really light, super high velocity ammo?

Attached: DD23E68B-ED9D-4B80-93CB-AF98374DAC8A.jpg (375x375, 6K)

Yes, 45-70 can go up to 1000 yards nigger.

With a rifle and load built for it. Rainbow connection bitch.

45-70 is still used to ring steel at those distances and more.

What ammo do you have in mind?

It can be super accurate at 1,500 yards with slow ammo you fool! Don't confuse drop rate problems with accuracy.

pretty sure really heavy ammunition and learning your drop is the preferred method of shooting further away in most cartridges. Something like leveroution bullets if they make it for 45-70 but I honestly dont know much about the bullet options on 45-70.
Aerodynamic heavy weights in lose less speed over distance and eventually overtake lightweights plus handle wind better.
45-70 isnt really a great long range cartridge in modern times but it was good for the cowboy era.

nah, get that bullet subsonic and you won't have transsonic accuracy issues

>Don't confuse drop rate problems with accuracy.
This right here.

There's nothing fundamentally "inaccurate" about .45-70 rifles or their cartridges; the reason why .45-70 is looked down upon for long range shooting is its rainbow trajectory compared to modern cartridges.

the longer it spends in the air the longer it has to get fucked up by winds

That's certainly true, though it's a minor worry compared to its trajectory.

yeah

Since we're on the topic of 45-70 and theoretical loads... I'm somewhat (very) interested in having my 1895 shoot the biggest fireball I can. If my math is right I want a slow powder and light bullet right? Am I going to have any safety/pressure issues with this combination?

Long range target shooting was more popular than golf as a pass-time/business recreation in the US up until the 1920s.

1000 yards with .45-70 was common. Is there drop? Yeah, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t accurate. You can adjust your aim for that.

.45-70 sends some heavy fuckers down range that are much less affected by wind than say 6.5 or 7.62 bullet.

>>Slow powder light bullet
Yes.

>>safety/pressure issues
Any time you fuck around with handloads there is a safety concern, but slower powders + light bullets is erring on the safe side because those tend to generate lower rather than higher pressures. Fast powder and heavier bullets are far more likely to get you into dangerous pressure territory.

This is a good use for software like Quickload.

Thankyou user.

I "found" a copy of quickload that I'll play around with before I go shoving powder in a case. I just wanted to make sure my theory about the bullet and powder was decent.

Quickload is ideal for this because it will tell you what % of the powder is burnt for any given load. Play around until you get that number as high as possible, while keeping the pressure safe of course.

nah, low numbers are better for what he wants

Yes, I was being retarded and thinking "unburnt powder" for some reason.

no, retard.

there's a certain point where you're just going to get actual unburnt powder instead of just powder that hasn't burnt before the projectile leaves the barrel

Yep, I've seen that many times. I used to own a BFR in 45-70 and it would leave little sticks of unburnt powder on the bench every time I shot it.

I'm convinced a heavy bullet; fast powder is what I need for short barrel.