Best extended mags for AR?

Wanna buy a few for me and my dad, just bought four 30 round mags for a new rifle coming, wanna get some extended barrels but research seems conflicting on the quality.

Magpul seems like the only one that's "consistent" in manufacturing quality. Anyone have any other recommendations? Preferably capacities of 50 or higher. ty bbs

Attached: tehbigboi.png (1122x1268, 1.11M)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/results?search_query=armatac
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The reason why no one gets extended mags is because they're generally range toys- poor reliability, extremely expensive compared to the equivalent in 30 round mags, and don't work with most modern magazine pouches.
If you have only 4 30 round mags, get more 30 round mags.
t. guy who has 35

Attached: update.jpg (4032x3024, 2.55M)

Doesn't the military contract with Magpul or some shit though? I've read about the ones that have terrible reliability but there's a handful that do well, I just wanted to hear some first hand account before dropping the amount they ask for

The D60s are reliable, they're just bulky and impractical to carry. Two normal 30-rounders create less bulk than a 60.

If you watch guys that do 2-gun, 3-gun, brutality, etc, competitions they will sometimes START a match with a D60 in the gun, but then switch to normal 30 round mags which are much more easily carried.

I like 40rd and 20rd mags for my AR

Attached: 78175m3_ts.jpg (1155x1155, 70K)

they do, but D60s are just not what you want to be carrying around. The total loaded weight is something like 2.5 lbs and they are extremely difficult to actually carry as you would a 30 round mag.

IMO you dont really need mags larger than 30 for semi auto rifles
>inb4 SHALL
Feel free to get the biggest stendo you want, I just dont see the point in having a mag 50%-100% larger when youre only going to be firing like 200RPM max.

Attached: 69965061_10218762187958551_1179248657698914304_n.jpg (480x480, 39K)

How much longer does a 40 round really feel in a gun compared to a 30 round? I've been interested in possibly switching to 40s but they seem like they would be unwieldy.

They are. They are also awkward to handle and awkward to carry, and don't fit standard mag pouches. The 50-60 round drums are neat while you're shooting, but then where the hell do you put them and how do you carry them?

Stick with milspec 30-round aluminum mags, either OKAY Industries Surefeed or Brownell's repros. They are lightweight and store flat and last forever.

Its not bad you cant go prone with them easily but you look really cool

>where the hell do you put them and how do you carry them?
In your gun when loaded, in a dump pouch or backpack when unloaded, only carry one, make it your first magazine

>milspec 30-round aluminum mags
Okay, boomer.

Attached: MAG557_BLK_1.png (1600x1600, 1.01M)

100 d&h aluminum, they are fine, fight me!

Attached: 20190916_212513.jpg (3264x2448, 2.06M)

boomers use 20rd mags only millennial fucks use 30rd zoomers use drum mags

Attached: p_078000160_2.jpg (400x400, 15K)

>only millennial fucks use 30rd
And the entirety of NATO.

Lmao what?

Are 40 round metal mags any less reliable than 30 rounders?

yes but not drastically really depends on manufacturer

>he doesn't bend coat hangers
Everyone point and laugh at this man.

How unreliable are these monstrosities? Will they run full auto?

Forgot pic

Attached: Surefire3thumb.jpg (300x201, 30K)

Go on PSA and grab a 10-pack of D&H aluminum 30 rounders, $90 with free shipping (plus 7 or 8 bucks if you get taxed). 300 rounds vs 60 for the same price without the bulk and weight and impracticality.

m.youtube.com/results?search_query=armatac

Attached: sniper_armatac_drum_1824banner.jpg (930x300, 162K)

Why in the world are they marketing this as a dmr/sniper platform accessory?

They just hooked it up to everything.

Google "ARMATAC 150" for some videos. It fucking amazing. Stupendous overkill, but amazing.

Not well, if you search around there is a video of why magpul doesn't make 4 bullet wide magazines. Only reason why I think those things are even around anymore is because the .mil wanted them and put in a massive order, then when it came do or die time; they fuckin sucked.

What the fuck am I looking at?

I like 40rd pmags. I use them with +6 TTI baseplate for DAT CAPACITY and they're reliable as well. 60rd D60 drums are also good.

Attached: IMG_20190814_124107.jpg (1729x1297, 1.16M)

The 100rd are trash.
The 60rd are not completely reliable.
Get them for the meme value, not performance or actual use other than range toy

Fuckhuge bigger.
I bought a pmag 40 just to try it out.
If you want to shoot prone, you have to dig a good first.

It does have a good life now though, it holds 14 Beowulf rounds, better than 10 in a standard 30rounder.

You need to up your game, just “tactically acquired” 98 brand new ones from zog

Attached: 369CB38E-E5F2-4A41-BF29-64630D02234A.jpg (4032x3024, 2.43M)

what sights?

I feel like the gubmint is gonna come looking for those....hopefully

magpul pro

Man...and here I am only with a measly 4

I'm Gen X, what should I use? :thinking:

Nah, JK... I'll use whatever the fuck I want. I like 30's for standing/moving, and 20's for the range.

No one here going to talk about the superiority of steel mags?

Attached: file.png (467x506, 495K)

No need to mention something everyone knows is true.

I think you confused polymer with steel

Wasted trips

lmao no.

Attached: pmags.jpg (1920x1080, 490K)

I know these suck, but I'm almost tempted to buy one and they it out with my Beowulf.

I haven't been able to find any information on functionality with thumpers.

Why muricans are unable to make reliable coffin mags?
Is it fuck deep magwell?
Just imagine coffin mags without long ass neck.

Problem is adapting to existing magwell size.
The transition from double stack to quad stack is the tricky part.

Some of those problems would be gone if magwell was made from ground up to use almost neckless magazine but mag would still need to change it to double stack at the end.

Would be interesting to see someone try to make a magwell, well and the bolt be able to switch between a quad stack feed and a double stack feed. That could bring a lot more to the concept of the M27

What about just shortening magwell to take coffin that has only one double stack line at the top.

>Best for the money
PMAG 40s.
>Best higher cap
PMAG D60. Buy one. Yes, I know it's the cost of 6-7 lancers. Yes, you forget how much the fucker cost quickly. It's worth it to have 60 rounds on tap that isn't that bulky and will actually feed reliably.
>Surefire
Less than dildos. Dildos can be fun, these aren't.
>Betas and armatacs
No.

Okay retard

>they will sometimes START a match with a D60 in the gun, but then switch to normal 30 round mags which are much more easily carried.

Isn't that sort of the main mindset regarding the ar drum mag use? Have the large mag on the rifle, use that up first, then revert to regular 30rd mags?

Okay Industries
Magpul
Lancer

This really isn't that worth doing in any sort of actual combat. Indoors, the weight and bulk make room clearing just that little bit harder. Outside, rucking the gun with that much extra weight is just unpleasant.

Couple this with the unlikely yet still possible chance of a serious failure, and drums loose their allure pretty quickly.

What are good brands for steel mags?

HK mags are top tier but expensive. I found these Bulgarian no-name 5.56 steelies on Numrich but I have yet to buy some, nor have I seen anything about them anywhere on the internet, even after searching for a hot minute.

Regardless, they seem like they'd be good despite the lack of info.

Attached: file.png (1199x466, 128K)

>please care about the insignificant amount of money i spent on magazines!

Fagpul 40s are really cheap now, and the D60s are also going on sale more often now. I got one of each a while back to see what they were like, and they're both fine. The D60 is a PITA to load, but it's not super bulky like most other drum mags.

There is a thread on arfcom about them. They seem to work very well but are heavy.

I've had good use from a set of ten E-Lander steel mags. Supposedly some issues early on but they've been ironed out since. Very nice ceramic-enamel finish.

None of these really apply to the D60, particularly when compared to maglinked 30s or a redi-mag.

Know the guys who designed and produced the original from Lyndhurst. Good folks. The first ones were billet and really cool. The magazine works as well as a straight 20 rounder, no gimmicks or grease or blocks of wood. If you ever get a good idea and think you can break into .gov or .mil contracts, spend more time thinking about it.

Mag shoah incoming once the kikes cook up another massive hoax shooting.

E-Lander's are Israeli shit mags they charge a ton of shekels for Okay Industries Surefeeds are gtg.

Probably the same as-yet-unnamed company that's been producing those mystery AK mags for cheap.

i get what youre saying... but the tabs user... the tabs...

Armatacs are highest tier if you have the money.

X-products drum mags are good.

Never had a malfunction with binary trigger. They're a little pricey thought.

And there 5.56 mags don't fit 300 blackout sub's, supers are fine though.

Quadstacks look cooler. Aesthetics>everything else

Attached: surefire_quadstack_magazine_03.jpg (700x383, 84K)

Does this shit actually work or does it have a high failure rate

Those are so staged

A lot of Jow Forums shits on them because they've never actually touched one. I've owned mine for about 6 years, now, and it works really well. The only time I've experienced failures has been when I load it all the way to 60 rounds, but keeping it at 58 has never failed me.
I think they're an excellent investment and keep a few of them around, but I wouldn't exactly be busting down the doors to get them just because they don't fit in STANAG mag pouches, being a little bit longer than STANAGs. I think they're fantastic for the range, at least. Welcome to never having to reload.

>claim to be a 60 round mag
>"Don't load it to 60 user otherwise it fails"
Why the fuck do companies do this

Dang thanks for the idea. The spring has enough power for 46 rds? Sometimes I have problems with sig 226 mags with a baseplate because the spring is really pushing it at 18. As a side note, it doesn’t matter if I keep magazines loaded to capacity right?

>because they're generally range toys

nope, if you are in an IFV and you have to fight head above hatch they are great

wasn't strike industries supposed to put out a polymer magazine with like a 33 round capacity?

are you thinking of the Daniel Defense magazine?

In general the magpul mags are good to go. Surefire supposedly fixed their shit so they seem fine. KCI makes crazy 100 rounders and *supposedly* has their shit together now, but I don't trust them.

I would buy a few more standard cap mags first. 4 is low. Get about 10, especially since they're cheap as fuck right now.

Attached: 1442027359705.jpg (1920x1280, 397K)

no

I only have 4...0. 40...

If you are planning on packing out you need 6-10max

found the 92y

Translation: It's shit. Worst 120 bucks I have spent on magazines.

Lol you know what would really stick it to them? Giving them away to your fellow kommandos. Ya know, especially in cucked states with shitty mag regulations.

When they hit the market they were generally shit. By the time the issues were solved they already had a reputation for being garbage. New production surefires are now about as reliable as USGI, though more mass at full loading makes it easier to bend a lip if you drop one.

The Russian coffin mags are neet looking.

Attached: IMG_20190516_210627_046.jpg (1280x720, 268K)

I have a lot of Magpul 40's, because they were cheap. But you might want to check out a company called Torkmag. I have one 35 round magazine ($17), and two 50 rounders ($30). It's holding up, and I like them.

Attached: CHWrw2KUEAEZg2f.jpg (1200x675, 85K)

>Surefire.com
>This product is not available.

Aren't the Marines looking into small drum mags for their 417's? It could make sense to carry a drum mag in addition to your 30's.

>been looking for a source for a donor spring for my 50 round galil mag
>gave up, figured stretched 40rnd AR mag that misfeeds last 5 rounds is my fate
>I see your fucking post incidentally scrolling past this thread I don't give a shit about

please god work

Attached: 1563435565439.jpg (688x546, 113K)

>By the time the issues were solved
They "solved" the issues by discontinuing production of the 100 rounder.

I would have 1 or two just to try out and maybe meme with like I did

Attached: 9054D849-55F0-4B3F-A480-4187ED33AC44.jpg (4032x3024, 1.57M)

I don't understand how mankind can go into space and edit genes in-vivo, yet we can't make reliable springs for this application.

>Tfw you're in a firefight and seek cover behind a burm but your head is 14" inches above cover because you have this badass mag that nobody just don't get...

Do the TTI extensions work with 300 blackout?

t. only benchshoots and upset extendos ruin his tabletop setup

Maybe spend some of that paper on ur domicile bruh

Brownells makes military mags, they aren't repros.

I took it apart, DO NOT TAKE THE FOLLOWER OUT OF THESE. It was an absolute bitch to put that flat spring back over the lip, it didn't know it would be such a pain in the ass to put back together. Spring and baseplate comes out no problem though. But I'm not sure if it'll work for what you want. The spring's not that much longer than a 40's, and I'm not sure if it'll be as strong.

Attached: Torkmag.jpg (2766x1536, 2.53M)

Rotate your rifle to the side a bit, like you would with pmag 40's. They're not much longer than 40's for an extra 10 rounds.

Attached: Torkmag 2.jpg (1844x1536, 1.63M)

Extended mags of all shapes and sizes tend to suffer from issues like jamming.
Considering they're 100 something dollars you're better off just stacking 30 rounders deep. They serve no purpose. Literally none not even evil ones. Everyone who has tried to use them for nefarious purposes be that a bank robbery terrorism or a mass shooting has experienced a jam.
Even my .45 extended mag which gives me a whopping 2 extra rounds fucking jams.

They're memes.

That was the joke, dudes.

Attached: file.png (2160x1080, 2.07M)

Fun fact, pufgun also makes 45 round AR magazines. They aren't coffin mags though.