Serious question from a new gun owner:

what is the difference between a military spec rifle and a 'civilian' spec one and how can I cut the shit and get proper military hardware or better?
is there a good source that can inform me about the specs for various components and the options?

also why is the market so retarded and buying cut-down shit that isn't even 'military spec'?

Attached: 1550969324126.jpg (736x906, 139K)

Other urls found in this thread:

everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-G/
spreaker.com/user/primaryandsecondary/mike-mihalski-full
arbuildjunkie.com/sons-of-liberty-gun-works-mike-mihalski/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Proper military spec stuff is usually way cheaper and less reliable than premium civilian gear.

Sauce

Marketing. If it sounds cool it sells.

In terms of AR15s it refers to measurements, specially the buffer tube. No. It's not better. No. It's not important

who da thot

If you read that a gun has a “civilian” version that usually just means it lacks full auto

That mostly only applies to armalite rifles. A milspec bolt should be lighter from having more cuts in it, and slightly different dimensions. You'd maybe have issues with the barrel too. There are different types of feed ramps. I've jammed the living shit out of anything I get handed so I'm not going to anything about ramp types.

"Milspec" is a complete meme they use to mark up subpar gun parts user.

Remember how there is no such thing as a milspec trigger for a semi ar

Military spec is either a pure marketing term or meets Mil Standardization which is usually below market quality. Much like the term "aircraft grade", 7075 is 7075 and there is no difference between "regular" 7075 and "aircraft grade" 7075

everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-G/

Here's a list with a lot of "mil-specs", much like IP68 it's a minimum requirement, and if they don't list the specific standard, it probably means it passes some spec completely unrelated to actual use case.

>everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-G/
thanks alll

If it ain't Mil-Spec, it's Mall-Spec

pretty sure that's the chick that just got arrested for joking about a shooting.

Kween

do you literally not even know how an AR trigger works? the parts that aren't present in an auto trigger group but not a semi don't meaningfully affect the operation of the trigger in semi automatic mode.

milspec is a catchall that is usually a marketing term. it can also refer to a specific set of requirements and processes that a part must pass through. for example, if your ar-15 bolt doesnt have a properly staked gas key, that's bad and non milspec.

Attached: begging.jpg (800x448, 65K)

Don't worry I found it and blew a fat load like 2 hours ago

i-- i wanna blow loads too...

Milspec's tolerances are looser than good civilian standards to help with price, reliability, and interchangeability.

Oh

Just reverse image search dude
The button is built right in to 4chin

why in the everliving mcfuck would you want anything milspec?! have you even read any goddamn books? do you even know the FIRST thing about economics? I mean goddamn you don't need a degree from the jewschool of econometrics to know that government garbage barely functional spec is NEVER better than anything the civilian market can come up with granted it's an actual market because competition.

OH FUCK

i didn't know that button existed. i found it. thank you user.

my transformation into a cumbrain begins tonight! goodbye lads!

The civie one is either a budget model and probably not as durable due to second rate materials and machining, all to save cost, or it's a "competitive" meaning market competition for like shooting competition and it's probably way better than "Mil-spec" in every way.

"mil-spec" translates "designed by committee to be as profitable as possible to the manufacturer, as cheap as possible to the DoD as easy as possible on the supply chain and as simple as possible to be operated and maintained by literal crayon eating high school dropouts in the worst conditions imaginable."

At no point in the process is peak performance a goal. Peak performance is for people buying one rifle for themselves, or a organizational armorer buying 5 rifles for a SWAT team. Top end equipment comes at a huge premium of the sort the DoD just doesn't pay for ordinary grunts. If you look at what special forces and LEO operators use worldwide it's not "mil-spec" it's heavily specialized, custom made civilian market gear.

not even close

>serious question from a shill

Hammer is different, disconnectors is different, everything is different

'Military spec' means nothing on an individual level except as a marketing ploy to get your money.

Please stay here and never come back to /n/, thanks
>replying seriously to a Sieg post

>OHHHHHHH SHIIIIT I'M COOOOOOOOOOOOOOMING
Stop posting tits for bumps

Attached: coomer.png (993x1405, 820K)

>what is the difference between a military spec rifle and a 'civilian' spec one

Talking about AR's? Please listen to this entire podcast. It is long but it is with someone who 100% knows their shit about AR's. Nobody will answer your question as well as this guy.

spreaker.com/user/primaryandsecondary/mike-mihalski-full

arbuildjunkie.com/sons-of-liberty-gun-works-mike-mihalski/

Attached: 1450903351394.jpg (854x960, 101K)

"Military spec" means military specification, and is a set of standards of performance and reliability. Items that are "milspec" are generally the absolute lowest quality/price that can meet the military specification. It's exceedingly common for commercially available items to out class mil-spec, especially with regards to accuracy (look at benchrest, PRC, etc.), power (wildcat cartridges), and weight/speed/performance (look at 3-gun, IPSC, etc.). Mil-spec tends to shine with regards to reliability and function in adverse conditions.

Why does Jow Forums fixate on military contracts and companies that focus on production of firearms for military contracts when Jow Forums also readily admits that military standards for performance are below those of the consumer market AND also recognizes that military contract awards are more often the product of political maneuvering than any kind of reflection of superior performance?

Attached: ei4buit.png (780x1028, 1.17M)

beatrice russell