Can we legally own grenade launchers? If so wtf would we civilians even shoot out of them?

Can we legally own grenade launchers? If so wtf would we civilians even shoot out of them?

DD's aren't IMPOSSIBLE to get, money helps.

No they're illegal

Smoke?

They are legally flare guns until you register them

37mm “flare” launchers are legal and not considered DDs afaik. They don’t make HE grenades for it, but if you managed to custom build one, it’d be a felony.

Smoke, dummy, and shotgun rounds.

their not a 40mm grenade it’s a smaller one and the tube can handle much less pressure

How much are the smoke grenades and can I buy them over the internet?

Yeah but you gotta run it by the Nickman first

Yugo SKS's have that weird Rifle grenade launcher muzzle device

37mm rubberbals

It would not be a felony if you constructed and used it all within your own property and did not transport it. That's the kicker.

You can totally buy a surplus M203 for about $1500, but it and each individual grenade have to be registered which is a long and grueling process.

You realize that the AR15 A2 birdcage is a grenade launcher too. Yugo uses the NATO standard 22mm, so you can use an surplus NATO flares, smokes, or rubber training grenades. You can do the same on your AR15.

Wouldn’t you still have to register it as a DD if it had a mass of HE above the requisite limit, regardless of whether you custom made it? I honestly don’t know shit about that side of the NFA, though, so I really have no idea.

If it's for your own personal use, on your property, and it never leaves, then you're fine.

stop talking out your ass
you can buy 40mm launchers on gunbroker
above 7 grams AND inside a projectile it's a DD and has to have a stamp
funfact 20mmHE often has a less than 7gram payload

>20mm HE often has a less than 7gram payload
Is there a reason nobody sells these then? Also is it theoretically possible to make an HE compound that's much more potent that still fits within the 7 gram limit?

Flares and fireworks

AND constructed and used immediately. Storage after completion is a no-no.

>Is there a reason nobody sells these then?
They're just obscure and get quickly bought up by people with DDs. I've seen them for sale many times.

This. I own a legally registered M203.
Most people shoot things like flares, smoke, shotshells, inert projectiles (i.e. "baton rounds"), or training ammo. The training ammo contains a small explosive charge and a bunch of colored chalk dust to simulate the blast of a real grenade.

Real grenades are theoretically legal, but as they contain more than 1/4 oz HE they are considered DDs themselves, and subject to a huge PITA pile of other explosive-related requirements.

Technically yes, but each individual grenade will run you 200 smackaroos on top of the cost of the round itself.

I've been wanting to find chalk rounds in the 22mm spigot/rifle grenade configuration. Any idea where to find them?

Not only that, but real grenades also have a huge list of legal requirements pertaining to the transportation and storage of explosives.

I've never seen those anywhere, but I suspect you might be able to make them pretty easily. The chalk dust you can easily get; it's used in the construction industry for chalklines. You can buy gallon jugs of it cheap in a variety of different colors. The bursting charge is tiny so it wouldn't be considered a DD under the law.

I bet you could 3D print a hollow projectile body with, say, a .22 blank in the nose to burst it, then fill it with chalk. The 40mm training grenades use a .38 Special blank inserted into the base of the case to fire them; I'd imagine that the 22mm would use something smaller due to their smaller size and lower weight. Maybe a .32 or a .25 ACP blank?

22mm rifle grenades are different from the grenades we have now. They aren't launched by striking a primer, but are fitted onto the end of a grenade launcher attachment fitted onto the barrel of the rifle. Then, you would use a grenade launching blank round to launch the grenade.

gotcha, I wasn't sure which of the 20mm-ish grenades you were talking about.

Of course if you're talking about the sort that launches off a barrel then yeah, you would design your training grenades to be the same weight as the real deal and you'd use the normal launching blanks.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info user. It seems like most of the 22mm training rifle grenades that were produced have been lost, recycled, or destroyed, but you can still find inert grenades on ebay or gunbroker

Getting a dd is no harder than a silencer

Incorrect, not getting caught and it being legal are very different.

This isn't infringement at alllllll... Nope. Nosirree Bob.

If the rolled up stack of paperwork you have to fill out comes out to being more than 40mm, does it qualify as a Destructive Device?