What would happen if

The US upgraded the BAR, gave it a bigger magazine, and used that as their primary military rifle?

Attached: A94B5A73-C927-4B0A-98F6-D66C1F0F3583.jpg (300x98, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

defensereview.com/ohio-ordnance-hcar-heavy-combat-assault-rifle-quick-analysis-of-a-modernized-sopmod-bar-browning-automatic-rifle-video/
youtube.com/watch?v=JMU6ylVMcgQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It would have been a bad decision.

It would have been a really bad decision.

They'd still predominantly blow hajis up with drones and artillery

Why is that?

Yeah basically nothing. Possibly more 1000lbs and hellfires getting dropped because infantry don't want to engage with their rifles now

it's still a heavy, cumbersome piece of shit
sure would look cool though

People have slimmed the thing down to 11 pounds.
defensereview.com/ohio-ordnance-hcar-heavy-combat-assault-rifle-quick-analysis-of-a-modernized-sopmod-bar-browning-automatic-rifle-video/

Came to post this.

And it's an ugly piece of proprietary shit that does NOTHING better.

You faggots see these range toys and start thread #278494927 of "what ifs" disregarding common sense, military structure, and training to....? Fuck I dont even know what your point is.

The BAR was a piece of shit outdated by even WW1 standards and the HCAR is an even bigger piece of polished shit. Why not start a thread about the US switching to cork guns or potatoe guns while you're at it you double nigger.

Twice as heavy ammo, half as many rounds carried, out of ammo twice as fast.

It would be extremely painful for US grunts

I refuse to believe .30US is 2x as heavy as 7.62NATO

It isn't - the OP listed primary service rifle - that's 5.56 it's "replacing"

For what benefit?
The BAR was uncomfortably heavy, add a bigger mag and that gets worse
It's construction isn't designed with modern mass production in mind
it's a .30 rifle - this was abandoned for main service rifles for a reason

Wow 11 pounds, that's pretty cool and radical, truly modern technology is amazing that we are able to make something so light as to still be a pound heavier than a fully decked out M14 from the fucking 50s. Wow very space aged and groundbreaking and certainly not meeting anons criteria of "a heavy, cumbersome piece of shit". Wicked sick bro, we're really living in the future now.

It would be a significantly heavier, more akward to wield M14, with the only advantage being better control in full auto. The only thing the a moderized BAR would be good for is as an auto rifle for small units, who need the power of a 7.62 machine gun in short bursts, but can't swing the weight of a full on MG.

>The BAR was a piece of shit outdated by even WW1 standards
The fuck? The BAR was easily the best automatic around during WW1. The masden and chauchat were literal trash by comparison.

Attached: 800px-Val_Browning_M1918_BAR.jpg (800x977, 156K)

What an ugly piece of shit

HCAR

Attached: BCC49E4E-4156-444F-8648-0C8F17CBC53E.jpg (750x737, 119K)

dear god that's disgusting

>open bolt

Would’ve been shitty accuracy wise, used as an infantry rifle.

I heard Marines and Soldiers in the Pacific theater loved it too, not so much in the European theater

Attached: FC82459F-4B17-4301-A236-85CF0193ED1A.jpg (964x929, 191K)

Why not just an M1 Garand with detachable magazine?

Every grunt would hate life much more.

you mean the m240?

You mean the M14?

Just guessing here, but my assumption would be
>Jungle fighting and jap tactics made having literally any automatic weapon desirable.
>Japs had fuck all in the way of fire power, so the BAR could actually provide fire superiority.
>Shitty terrain and lack of a real lmg meant that the BAR's relative agility and lightness was pretty useful.

Meanwhile in Europe
>Enemy has way better LMGs that can supress your BARS.
>Need long range suppressive fire, which the BAR can't really do.

I wish I had a BAR. I've got 4 Browning designed guns already.

Do you know how heavy that thing is? Do you know how heavy carrying the ammo around is? No because you probably have never ran in your life and you probably shoot sitting down with your Doritos and insulin at arms length.

They did, its called the HCAR. It's ugly as shit, heavy as fuck and doesn't do anything a proper MG or DMR can't do in a better, more versatile caliber.

Attached: golfball meme barrel.jpg (2083x2083, 169K)

No, the BM59.
The M14 was a piece of shit that took 12 years and millions of dollars to develop for literally no reason while the BM59 was literally an M1 conversion.
US Ordinance Board: Simply refitting the M1 Rifle with a detachable magazine is an unworkable solution.
Fabbrica d'Armi Pietro Beretta: Hold my wine and come back in a week.

I think It would be cool If they adopted something like the Colt Monitor in time for WW2

>shoots blacktip 30 cal at higher, designed velocity than 7.62 neuter
>huehue its ugly-no dipshit, form follows function
>it's heavy! -maybe you should fucking lift

all of these seem like your own, personal problems.

it was because the European front was constant movement so it got heavy for the soldiers issued it. Pacific theater it was a godsend because of lack of cover and lack of soldier movement

Why must you bully her?

Attached: BAR Gets Bulli'd.jpg (947x842, 114K)

The BM59 para is the best battle rifle ever made, prove me wrong.

Forgot the link. youtube.com/watch?v=JMU6ylVMcgQ

it would have been a decent automatic rifle with 50 round drums

Considering that shit only sold a few hundred units at most and was adopted by nobody, no I dont really think that is his personal problem.

Because the 240 is better in every way.

not that user, but from the get-go the hcar always seemed like it was meant to be a tacticool range toy for rich people, never to be taken seriously.

Kind of like Kel-Tec, but in a way the opposite from a price positioning perspective. Novel, fun, works well... just not something you'd ever use in a serious way.

that would be fucking awesome......if it were in the civil war.

Because the *PKM* is better in every way
FTFY

It might've made sense in the interwar period, with a closed bolt as Browning intended, but its days were numbered. Too heavy, too big for an infantry rifle.

If a period equivalent of the beta-c mag existed in the 30s, it would have translated into an excellent IAR/LMG for the Americans. Still heavy, but considerably more portable and versatile than a 1919,

You're a big guy

I'd bust one

It would actually have real stopping power unlike that varmint 5.56 round

How many rounds is that mag?

>no quick change barrel
>high-cap mag in an era when 20 rounders barely work right
>high-cap mags instead of belts
>one guy has to pack it all instead of distributing the weight around the entire gun crew
>all of the riflemen who before just had to carry a relatively small belt now have to figure out where to stick a fuckhuge drum

Great, not only have you reduced the effectiveness of your weapons team, you've also created an even bigger pain in the ass for the riflemen.

So uh. The same as the BAR just with a higher cap magazine. You do know the BAR was used extensively in WWII and quite liked by the guys who used em.... with the one gripe being magazine capacity.

>proprietary
Stop using words you don't understand

They made 40 rounders for AA use. They weigh ~2.5# a piece fully loaded.

Proprietary 30 rounder.

it's a big gun

Attached: I'm in charge here.jpg (3072x2304, 467K)

You kind of need all of those things in an emplaced machine gun like the 1919, the BAR is just not up to snuff to serve in that role. The reasons infantrymen liked the BAR are the exact reasons it makes a shitty MG for a weapons team.

it had mixed reception at best in all theaters, by WWII it was a horrifically outdated example of a squad support weapon.

>Japs had fuck all in the way of fire power, so the BAR could actually provide fire superiority.
except we frequently found ourselves outgunned by even the dogshit Japanese MGs since they actually had the ability to deliver sustained fire, unlike a certain other turd.

>Shitty terrain and lack of a real lmg meant that the BAR's relative agility and lightness was pretty useful.
it was "useful" because there was no alternative, most other MG from that war would've been an upgrade over the BAR. It's a heavy piece of shit that can't even suppress properly so you're forced to use it like an comically-oversized assault rifle.

>They made 40 rounders
Are there any pictures of those?

That would be pretty cool. Put a pistol grip on it for ergonomics. Slim down the barrel and gas system? We could also take advantage of new advancements in gunpowder and metallurgy to make a smaller casing with the same ballistics. This would let us make the action and receiver even smaller. At this point we are surely under 10 pounds, with 30 round mags of automatic full-power rifle cartridges. What would we call it though?

>open action

Isn't the MAG an further development of the BAR?

Attached: BAR40.jpg (305x240, 18K)

>lets make a full-auto 30-06 rifle LIGHTER

Still heavy.
Full auto is bipod or emergency use.
Forget recoil, I just want to carry more ammo.

awful but i want one

Women and little brown shits will have trouble carrying it.

That's photoshoped