My first knife

Used to collect knives when I was a edgy teen decades ago, never had anything decent. Starting fresh, how did I do for my first purchase?
Any tips or troubles I should be aware of with this brand (KABAR)?
General knife thread too I guess

Attached: IMG_20190921_013116.jpg (3789x2290, 2.31M)

Other urls found in this thread:

tlim.net/dostepne.php
knifeup.com/knife-laws/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I went with synthetics instead of leather as my sweat is super fucking corrosive

Is that a KaBar short? That was my first "real" knife too. Served me good innawoods so far. Not the best for certain tasks that require more control but good for general work and I assume would serve well in combat if needed. Mine is the stacked leather handle with kydex sheath one. Mounted on my backpack strap.

If you want some that's better for camp activities get a kabar Mk1. Much easier to use when doing small stuff.

Not the short, 12 inch all up, 7 inch blade. I just take shitty photos. It's pretty much for innawoods and emergency self defense. Do they hold an edge alright?

That is about as vague of a question as you ask. It depends entirely on what your usage is; how you will use it (if you will use it), how often and how will you carry, budget, location, general attire

Innawoods you are better off with a pocketknife and a hatchet or machete.

t. innawoods for hours most of the week

I've had mine 2 years with fair use and only needed to sharpen 3 times. It's good to tune the edge after each use though.
I have always felt that the full size was just to big for tipical innawoods business. At that length it's basically purely a combat knife. I have a full length also that I inherited. Never use it because of this.

5 nights a week on the nightstand, 2 nights a week chopping up rabbit, pheasant or eels

Thanks for the input. I have a few axes, just trying to get a feel for knives again. I'm a weekend warrior, so pack weight and such isn't a huge factor. Seen some lovely hunting axes and such but they are bit pricier than I was expecting. Gotta save up

Feel free to post some of your own knives lads.

Thanks for the input.

Buck 119

Get the dogs head version. Same blade and handle. It also was "designed" and sold as a bushcraft outdoors knife so it is not subject to knife restrictions that involve manufacturers intent.

The dogs head.

Attached: KAB2-1317-5.jpg (500x500, 52K)

>knife restrictions involving manufacturers intent
What

For the guy in the last knife thread
tlim.net/dostepne.php

Attached: 3.jpg (800x533, 103K)

Some states had and have knife laws that restrict knives based on the design. So you can not own a bayonet or a mark 2 because they were designed to kill men.

I'm not sure if you're looking exclusively for full-sized fixed blades or not, but I have a recommendation for a good folding knife. I personally am not a knife guy, but a coworker of mine is. I wanted one high quality knife that was good for a variety of different tasks. He recommended a sypderco paramilitary 2, and that's what I ended up buying. It's working out pretty well for me.

I've never heard of this. That's fucking dumb. What states?

Yeah, I'm in oz. The knife laws here are kind of fucked. Nanny state yay!

That's fucking chunky. Love it

Beautiful.

I've taken the leather version but I'm not that happy with it. I spent once a day out in the countryside helping my father to do stuff and basically the knife spent all day in humid grass and had a bit of mud on it. It got scratched a bit too. The leather now seems to be really worned and it ain't smooth to the touch anymore.
The guard is made of thin metal, don't throw the knife at all if you don't want to bend it as I did when I throwed it at a log.
Finally the tip can break but if you don't do retarded stuff with your kabar it should hold up well

I don't remember anymore, check the link if you want. I just remembered laughing my ass off when the dogs head came out because they described it as a newly designed for outdoors... it's just a better version of the 2000
knifeup.com/knife-laws/

I appreciate the input, had a bad experience with a cheap folder years ago. Has me going for the fixed blades these days. I was probably being a stupid kid too, cheap knives and reckless youth not a good combo.

When I say that it ain't smooth anymore it means the leather is really damaged, a polymer handle would've been way better
I had to throw the knife arond 30 or 40 times to bent the guard, it didn't just happen after the first or second throw

With some basic Google fu and looking around, I can't find any information on what you're talking about. I don't want to crawl through all 50 state knife laws

Cheers for sharing your experience. This one is not for throwing, or stabbing wildly at trees. I read a few places that the leather options were rather prone to moisture problems, that's why I went with synthetics. Not worried about scratches or marks, but rot and decay are things I hope to avoid

I'm sorry you suck at research and have the patience of an autistic child?

Mhmm. I considered getting a wooden handle at first, but since he only sells knives he has listed as available I got micarta since that's the only one his "Bushcraft 2" knife had and the blade shape on that is my favorite.

Attached: 70445872_2501722959849694_7201407558244892672_o.jpg (800x1000, 251K)

Look man, if something doesn't show up on the first few pages of Google it probably doesn't exist

That's not even remotely true. I gave you a link that has all the information you need. I'm not going to do the work for you. Clearly its bothering you. Do the work, earn the knowledge.

Is stag or elk horn handles still a thing?

Second down in that pic looks wonderful. Any idea of the size?

yeah and they're nice

This. Pretty much only time I go fixed blade is so I can larp as Rambo.

Seems to be the C445 just like I ordered, just a different finish. Here's a pic which I believe is from a review. The blade length is ~10.5cm, overall length is ~22cm, and the thickness is ~3mm. Though I got mine 4mm thick.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 63K)

Attached: no-i-dont-believe-you-memes-com-17948071.png (500x355, 68K)

>I made a claim but could not provide a source for it, so I linked a large website that may or may not back me up.
You do know how dumb you sound, right?

About what? Go /out/ and you'll see how a mid size hatchet and a folder can do every thing you need. Bk9 or same size knife for when I want to be autistic and waste more time and energy wacking shit and batony chop chop.

How retarded would it be to have a perfectly good knife finish stripped off so it could be deep gun blued?
I know a gunsmith with a full blueing set up thats supposedly rare to have and I understand that it would be less corrosion resistant

Keep strugglefucking that straw man dipshit.

What are you rambling on about, retard?

Nifty. I appreciate the info. Is 3 mil a standard thickness?

>mid size hatchet and a folder can do everything you need. Bk9 or same size knife for when I want to be autistic

Assuming that you are using the tools to the fullest extent, what is likely the case is that you are compensating the inadequate knife with the hatchet. Which is fine, you do you. I find more people tend to compensate an ax with a large knife. It works both ways. But thinking it is stupid for someone to use a full size fixed blade instead of your method, shows arrogance. And batoning a knife shows a lack of wit.

Attached: 374743832982398785902030132547896037.jpg (640x480, 125K)

for euro made knives? Yes. It's ~ 3 mm so I assume it's close to 3.175 which is an 1/8 in. 4 mm is 5/32 in.

>cs colossus oc

Attached: mpppm.jpg (325x232, 23K)

Thanks knifebro for the info.

That's a pretty knife. Like the blade shape. Sticking to fixed blade for now, but thanks for the suggestion. $400 ozbucks, wew. X4 what paid for the KaBAR

good to finally get some appreciation around here

A source was provided. Fucking numpty cunt.

That's not providing a source. That's providing a link to somewhere a source might be. Try writing an academic paper and just putting the name of a book as a source. See how that works you dirty double numpty.

Try putting your energy into finding the answer yourself instead of acting like a little entitled child.

I did. My conclusion is you're a retard and these laws don't exist. You're the dumbfuck who made a claim and can't provide proof.

Kabar uses a basic bitch 1095. They claim it is special because of a cryogenic process, that is bullshit. It's just 1095. Now you know that every knife they sell should be sold a lot cheaper than it is. The stacked leather handle m2s are decent. Stick tang. Ok sheath. Its leather so it's not as embarrassing as the nylon ones they sell.
The Becker series is absolute trash. Shit on parade. Ethan Becker comes up with one or two ok designs and then allows them to to be robbed of anything good by kabar. Both the 16 and the Kephart are perfect examples of how bad they fuck shit up. The ek line as well.
Basically kabar if it has stacked leather handles, if not go elsewhere. They just pump out garbage.

Entitled crybaby having an online temper tantrum. This is outstanding.

I'm certainly not going to help you now. Real world is teaching you some life lessons today.

I figured it out. This is an elaborate troll post. Make a claim, then don't back up it and turn it around on anyone trying to berate you for not having evidence. That's actually 10/10. Bravo.

Its common knowledge in the knife community. Perhaps try to focus for more than 30 seconds. And no amount of goading is going to get me to help you. Frankly you need a time out. Or a spanking.

Ugh, please spank me daddy uwu. I've been a bad princess

I'm not into fat chicks.

I recommend the OKC Chimera
I love my 3S, but I don't use it a bayonet.

>(((Google)))
I don't know of the laws either, but come on.

>And batoning a knife shows a lack of wit.
I will never understand why batoning is a thing. It's so fucking simple and quick to make a wooden wedge to split other wood with.

Kabars are nice and use high quality steel, but it is pretty outdated by modern standards of ergonomics. I tried using it camping as a meme and the stupid gets in the way of everything. Handle is awkward and uncomfortable when you're actually using it too. I still love mine, but think of it like buying an M1 Garand for home defense or any other serious use.

It's a thing because as a pilot or soldier you may be only equipped with a knife. If you are cought in somewhere with a long rain season it may be difficult to find any dry wood at all. If you meet to you start battoning small peices off the outside then working off the corners, all small pieces until you expose a dry center. Then you can prep for a fire. That's its only worth and only if you absolutely need a fire.