Jow Forumsommunications general

Jow Forumsommunications general

Old Thread: Radio thread? Radio thread.

Digital Communications and Internet Alternative Edition

>post 'em
>discuss 'em

>§ 95.591 Sales of FRS combination radios prohibited.

>Effective September 30, 2019, no person shall sell or offer for sale hand-held portable radio equipment capable of operating under this subpart (FRS) and under any other licensed or licensed-by-rule radio services in this chapter (devices may be authorized under this subpart with part 15 unlicensed equipment authorizations).

Jow Forumsommunications intro:

pastebin.com/raw/YDiS6yEf

Getting started:

Ham Radio Crash Course Technician series on YT:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1KAjn5rGhizrj2pYcQ-b3Ufcq53nZ7dj

>What are digital modes
A way to connect your radio to a computer and send text, forms, various data, e-mail, images, etc.
>What is a good radio
Depends on what you NEED in a radio. If you don’t know, a CCR (Cheap Chinese Radio) like a Baofeng is a good place to start.
>What is Digital Voice/D-Star/DMR/System Fusion
These are on-board digital protocols that are a part of a particular radio’s operating system. Analog voice is converted via codec to a digital stream, which is then routed through a repeater and out somewhere else on the planet. For example, Wyoming, USA to Yokosuka, Japan.
>What is a repeater
A repeater takes your radio’s transmission, amplifies it from a more topographically-sound location, effectively increasing the range of your handheld up to 100mi.

Attached: ECC53F19-DEAE-4D9C-B716-96CFD2D8FC62.jpg (3550x2456, 1.36M)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/Zp98Tv
amazon.com/BaoFeng-Battery-Accessories-Backup-3800mAh/dp/B01MZWR8GU/
amazon.com/dp/B07Q2Z3821/
amazon.com/NKTECH-Extended-Transceiver-Batteries-Accessories/dp/B01LXN88OP
amazon.com/dp/B07LCRG7HS/
amazon.com/dp/B07STB8BD6/ref=twister_B07RQLDZS2?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
baofengtech.com/nagoya-na-320a
cometantenna.com/amateur-radio/ht-antennas/chinese-ht-antennas/
diamondantenna.net/srj77ca.html
diamondantenna.net/srjf40.html
baofengtech.com/Nagoya-ut-308uv
aliexpress.com/item/32890267680.html
ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-TRI-AN-PRC-152-Multiband-12-6V-10W-Handheld-Radio-MBITR-Aluminum-Shell/273975073480?pageci=3ebbbc37-63ad-4a36-a613-2197118b4d4a
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I picked up a BF-F8HP yesterday
Have about 6 different HT’s now (i’m licensed btw)

UV-XR vs UV-9 plus you can only have one

I just ordered a uv5rmp and it will be her tommorrow est my first taste of ham before I study and go licensed

XR

TRI user. Is there any reason to get the PRC-148 over the PRC-152?

Attached: ECFB62D62C7B435CAF4D3495EE8EBE59.jpg (850x540, 127K)

I got a uv5r in the mail. Idk what to do with it now

I just bought a 2nd UV-5R from Amazon... only 2 left in stock so I got on it fast.

People have told me I may be damaging my first UV-5R by transmitting with an ABBREE 28.5” foldable antenna in the folded position - I haven’t noticed a lot of difference between the radio but some have said over time it will go bad. I decided the second one will not be using the folded antenna. I also got a Nagoya 771 antenna for it... the first one came with this package deal... it also came with a Nagoya knock-off so I’ll see if this one is legit or not.

I really need to buy an SWR meter to test these antennas.

Download the CHIRP software from Google and run a YouTube guide on how to program the radio using CHIRP

tbqh you should go for the tech license, really useful to have. Another positive to go for is Sky Watch/Warn (?), basically storm spotter cert that ties into tech license

Here is a discord for Jow Forumsommo folks, a lot of useful information regarding ham stuff and all things radio

discord.gg/Zp98Tv

TLDR;

PRC-158 is a much easier to use radio and the batteries are more widely available.

PRC-148 has more available accessories, but these are only an advantage depending on far you plan on deep diving into this.

Attached: 0683AAAF-274C-4BFF-8928-377C18D5608A.jpg (2906x3874, 2.22M)

>Idk what to do with it now

Listen to police and fire channels you don't give a fuck about, school bus companies, exciting old man topics like "muh radio equipment". "muh fellow club member died at 90". "muh dik back and feet hurt".

Ah, thanks for the breakdown

What's a PRC-148/PRC-152 cost these days?

Attached: 1567974585003.jpg (500x628, 65K)

Would MURS be best for someone who just wants to use a radio in a caravan type situation?

Have had a UV-82HP for a while now, whats the biggest, longest lasting extended battery pack? Size and weight not a big issue.

Also I know this might sound dumb, but does painting an antennae affect its tx/rx quality in any way?

Attached: No comms, no bombs.jpg (540x361, 31K)

>found local police channel.
>accidentally hit ptt when moving radio.
I don't wish to disturb them, is there a setting to completely disable transmitting on certain frequencies? (uv-5r)

you must live in a poor fuckin area if you can find your local PDs channels on a baofeng lmao
im jealous, everywhere in my state is at least P25 phase I

wtf is this just use a cellphone what the fuck boomer shit is this

This zoomer/boomer meme was a mistake, it has made the drooling retards into black holes of intelligence.

$7,000-ish for the nerfed commercial version

Attached: 196E2F83-8278-4016-83C9-B341049C4D0E.jpg (2048x1536, 463K)

>painting an antennae
Not usually, as long as the paint doesn't use iron oxide or copper as a pigment. not sure about titanium oxide.

>poor fuckin area.
Yep poor, white and relatively low crime with only about 14k people. So car to car/dispatch only talk a few times an hour. They can't even run a make and have to give dispatch the plates for them to run. So I hear who and what citations they have, but if it's anything really sensitive they tell them to "10-21".

You must be 18 to post here, and at least 16 to pretend to be 18. Now put your phone away and pay attention to your teacher child.

What’s the biggest Baofeng battery available?

What is the difference between these and a regular usb sound card? And why does wiki say that TNCs only handle AX.25?

Ground loop isolation, direct physical control over levels, and PTT activation.

Generally speaking, AX.25 is only used for packet radio.

>you must live in a poor fuckin area if you can find your local PDs channels on a baofeng lmao

>lol ur poor if you don't live in a literal megatropolis war zone where the cops need the best comms, machine guns, and APVs to keep rampaging niggers in line

Yeah but it's not the only protocol used for digital radio right?

Just a friendly reminder that we are running a discord for anything relating to radio communications. Give us a look!
swDkVN

Using CHIRP or whatever, set the Rx freq for what you want to listen to. Set the Tx freq for some dump freq that isn't being used near you. Name this channel PD Rx. Have a separate one with the Tx set correctly named PD Tx so if for whatever reason you need to talk to them you can.

bumpin for any more input.

This appears to be the OEM extended pack
amazon.com/BaoFeng-Battery-Accessories-Backup-3800mAh/dp/B01MZWR8GU/

This looks interesting, cheaper, can be charged directly from a DC plug, and cool camo BUT I'm very suspect of abbree. Also its likely its not to advertised specs and theres not enough reviews.
amazon.com/dp/B07Q2Z3821/

Supposedly the biggest one for the UV-82, but again could be shady specs according to people who have done testing.
amazon.com/NKTECH-Extended-Transceiver-Batteries-Accessories/dp/B01LXN88OP

Same as the OEM, but with US warranty?
amazon.com/dp/B07LCRG7HS/

If anyone has knowledge of whats good2go/avoid for with big batteries pls respond.

Attached: Beale_AFB_Pave_Paws-1.jpg (1060x418, 120K)

If u go on btech website they have links to their equip on amzn

Anyone know if the Baofeng can do digital modes

Is there any truth to UV-5Rs bleeding tx onto other channels?

Absolutely

I have a yaesu vx-8dr and want to do the resistor mod... what frequencies will it open up?

I bought a used VX-7R for $160 w/ 2 batteries.

the charger it came with is an incorrect model chinese knockoff. do you think its worth buying the charger? yaesu is $40 at HRO + needs seperate power cable. ebay has a cheap chinese knockoff for $17.

im thinking about just paying 6.50 to return/refund it.

part of the reason is i actually want a vx-8dr too, and i thought i was getting a deal with the charger included, now im not so sure.

Just compare the output voltages. If they math, run with the knockoff.

holy fuck, the PRC-152 is basically a PRC-117G in a handheld form. It is so much more capable then the 148 also way more user friendly.
t. JTAC who uses all 3

Maybe get a fucking HAM license you turboautist.

its the wrong charger, i cant use it since the contacts dont line up, and the radio doesn't fit in it.

Just buy the knockoff.

must be a serious paintball team.

Can you settle with a local radio or is a regional one completely necessary, for da boog or whatever

Doesn't that cease when a decent antenna is used?

Should I even bother buying a baofeng uv-5r if it's all I can afford (the radio + programming cable + nagoya 771r will cost me over $60 and I'm a broke student)? I can't imagine a super cheap chinese radio would last more than a couple years. Has anyone had one work reliably long-term?

>all I can afford
>cheapest dual-band radio in human history
>should I

Fucking add it to the cart, good goddamn

Thanks, I needed that extra push to buy it. I just missed having beef for dinner.

Anyone want to DMR simplex in Portland? 446.0760 TG:99 CC:1 TS:1

Attached: IMG_20190921_152212.jpg (3000x4000, 3.03M)

Says it's expired

I read the intro, just because the ban is happening and im in kommiefornia, which of the 3 radios listed should i get to piss off the poo in loo that proposed this? Baofeng UV-5R
Yaesu FT-60R
Icom IC-T70A

>Yaesu FT-60R

If you're looking at that I'd spend a couple extra bucks and go for the FT-70. I just got one and digital is fucking sweet.

Not a baofeng expert myself, but have heard they are surprisingly durable, that is you keep it dry if it's not a waterproof model.

Thanks boss will get, is it waterproof? In case i gotta go inna sewers Or rivers? Probably a retarded question thou

It's not waterproof, I'm not sure what kind of uses you are planning but I have configured an old cell phone carrier for my bike rides if I think there will be rain and such.

is your name aaron?

Nope

bump

Attached: vx8_0.jpg (600x800, 217K)

should I put signal sticks on the other 2 or just leave them how they are

Attached: radios.jpg (2048x1536, 520K)

You have a distinct lack of the official antennas of Jow Forums. You need an abbREEEEEEEE

I need a better HT omni whip, guys. rocking a UV-5X3 triband 2m/1.25m/70cm which accepts antennas with SMA-Female connectors.

Abbree
amazon.com/dp/B07STB8BD6/ref=twister_B07RQLDZS2?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 42.5", 5dBi, $21.50 @ amzn

Btech
baofengtech.com/nagoya-na-320a 17.7", 2.15dBi, $17.99 @ amzn(bought this already, barely an improvement over the stock antennas)

Comet Antenna
cometantenna.com/amateur-radio/ht-antennas/chinese-ht-antennas/ SMA-24J 15.75", 2.15dBi on 2m, 3.5dBi on 70cm, $24.95+tax @ HRO.

Diamond Antenna
diamondantenna.net/srj77ca.html 15", 6dBi, $24.95+tax @ HRO
diamondantenna.net/srjf40.html 16", 6dBi, $26.95+tax @ HRO

im starting to think i need to buy some male/female reverse/standard bnc/sma adapters to open up my options a bit.
pic related, is it just a thin wire going up the middle? because otherwise the radiation pattern is going to be retarded with that shape, right?

Attached: Abbree foldable 42.5" 108cm.jpg (1200x1200, 69K)

post was at character limit.

im thinking of buying the abbree atm. the diamond SRJ77CA claims 6dBi but is only 15", I can't see it's reception being all that much better than the NA-320A im using now.

im also starting to want to explore portable magnetic mobile antennas. so far all i have seen is baofengtech.com/Nagoya-ut-308uv but it looks like it would do much better in a vehicle.

If you’re going to run an HT from inside the vehicle, you have two distinct options for making the most of it. The problem with vehicles and HTs is that you’re essentially attempting to transmit from inside a faraday cage. Number one, you absolutely, positively want the shortest run of GOOD coax from your HT to the exterior antenna. Think LMR-240 at minimum. Most of the external antennas are supplied with 17’ RG58, which will eat your lunch at 440 MHz, even if you have a perfect SWR.

Your second option is getting an HT that pushes 8-10W. Antenna gain will ultimately help with some of your signal loss, but if you’re starting from scratch you may as well do it right the first time.

In the same exact boat.

Just got a 5X3 and ordered a 320 for it. Is it really that shitty? What would you guys suggest from these options?

>Is it really that shitty?
probably highly dependant on your local traffic, but for me i just get blips, a little bit of staticy 1 side of a conversation, and i have heard 2 stations come in clear. 1 was pushing 75W they said, other one was again either very powerful or right on top of me idk where.

Is the F8HP or the 5X3 the one to go with?

>8w dual band
or
>5w tri band

There's two repeaters near me that broadcast 1.25M, but I doubt I'd ever use it. Overall, is it better to have slightly more power or a third band and more features? Would I even notice any difference with 8w over 5w? It doesn't seem like much...

Attached: 1566346653522.jpg (911x1024, 80K)

In all honesty, I’d get whichever one you like more. The reality is that, yes, an HT can generally be used with a magmount antenna, but it’s a serious compromise. If you end up at that point, you’re going to quickly want a dual band mobile radio.

I’ll also add that every step along the way, the price goes up, in tandem with the difficulty level of doing an installation.

HT: Easy Mode
Mobile: Normal Mode
Base: Hard Mode

Again, how much of a difference does 7-8w make over 4-5w in a HT?

Pretty insignificant tbqhf. That said, when you’re trying to run an HT from a mobile, every ounce helps.

The ability to mount a real antenna externally on the vehicle will give you way more of a leg-up when using an HT mobile that a couple more wattts of power would.

Also remember, the wattage statements for the chinese radios is almost always over-stated. My "5 watt" baofengs are closer to 4 watts max on the VHF band and 3 watts max on UHF.

WATCH OUT FAGGOTS, HERE COMES THE REAL BEST RADIO

Attached: DHORXTTUIAA1F4I.jpg (900x1200, 167K)

REEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1568755510998m.jpg (397x1024, 95K)

I agree. the foldable abbree is the official Jow Forumsommunications antenna. Everyone needs at least one

Attached: 1569138968299.png (647x889, 43K)

You have to be 18 to post here

salty boomer detected

I like that it’s accurate down to the Arrow Antenna.

Beaming the C A N C E R from your nuts to everyone in the platoon.

>tfw both zoomer and gramps

Attached: HappyPaul.jpg (900x675, 148K)

>appreciates expensive gear but also cheap utilitarian baofengs
based

Buy a uv5r or bf-f8hp?

uv-xr off of aliexpress for half the price

just make sure the seller is abbree.

fuckit, here's a link so you dont fuck up.
>aliexpress.com/item/32890267680.html

Attached: uv-xr.png (521x479, 392K)

I like how they don't wash off their kid's urine so you can see it's marginally waterproof.(chinese people let their kids piss and shit in public)

>uv-xr
why would i want that? Link?

Do you ever use your handheld, portable radio outside?

How is it performance wise to the bf? Also aliexprrss is dicey

it's good. higher wattage, better frontend/squelch.

And no, aliexpress is fine provided you use a proven seller

the only thing i dont like is that the xr isn't compatible with chirp, but their 970i software that comes on disc is fine.

links invalid. Have another link?

Does anyone have any experience with the uv-9R?

Out in the powerline cut shooting some trap today and tuned in to listen to some AmSats overhead with the blade antenna. Was bready gud.

Attached: 655885664582t.jpg (1048x1397, 580K)

Baofengs btfo

If I want two radios, but can't necessarily afford a 148, are a pair of UHF UV-82 HPs worth $130?

Did I fuck up buying one of these? I just wanted something to use with my comtacs.

ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-TRI-AN-PRC-152-Multiband-12-6V-10W-Handheld-Radio-MBITR-Aluminum-Shell/273975073480?pageci=3ebbbc37-63ad-4a36-a613-2197118b4d4a

>Country/Region of Manufacture: China

Anyone?
Anything I should buy with them?