I'm 30 years old, studying physics and math at a university. I'm gonna be at least 35 before I graduate

I'm 30 years old, studying physics and math at a university. I'm gonna be at least 35 before I graduate.
But I'm one of the best students at the uni. I'm getting good grades, I'm motivated, and I seem to have a deeper understanding of the abstract concepts than my 19-year-old peers. I'm not studying to get a good job, I'm studying to become a better person by understanding the universe around me.
No one seems to understand what I'm doing. And you know what everyone around me tells me?

They all tell me to quit.
They say I'm too old to study, there's no point, I'll never get a job, the college girls hate me for being an old fart and so on.
This is probably what you guys will be telling me as well. But you know what it is? It's all obvious cope.

The people who try to discourage me in my studies are either younger students of the same field intimidated by me, wanting me to fail, or plumbers who hate their lives. They, too, want to start over but they either can't or don't have the balls to do it. I did start over and it intimidates them that someone else actually took control of their own life.
Especially the fact that I'm still single, partying with young girls, living the college life forever seems to sting so fucking bad that married-at-24 normies all feel the need to put me down. That's why they're always repeating "you're too old for the girls there". It's like they're telling this to themselves more than me.
But why are you so mad? I still remember when you were so proud of being the first to marry and to get kids. Are you telling me they've become your shackles?

Attached: The-Masters-of-Enlightenment-Albert-Einstein.jpg (789x527, 55K)

Did you know that poop is brown?

I aIso started over, though I did so in my twenties, so younger than you. I'm currently pursuing a degree in medicine and it's great, but I'll be 27 when I start my residency 30 before I graduate.

You sound like the one who's coping.

>You sound like the one who's coping.

OP here. What am I coping with? Nobody forced me to study, I did it because I wanted to.

yeah, but how can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real? Think about it.

Attached: 1436620849139.jpg (640x960, 67K)

Do normies actually think there's an age limit to understanding things?

I guess this is why our generation is the dumbest one yet.

Attached: morganfreemansciencesho.jpg (600x380, 91K)

I don't believe you. There were older people at my university when I was an undergrad and no one cared at all, people just say them as older people trying to change the direction of their life and didn't really care one way or the other.
Where do you go to school? I don't mean the school, give the geographic area.

>"...become a better person..."
Oh that's cool, OP, I respect your intellectual curi-
>THEY'RE ALL MAD CAUSE IM CRUSHING YOUNG PUSS

*saw them

You're coping with how much time you missed out on and squandered potential. You are obviously coping because no one writes a melodramatic narrative about themselves because they are comfortable with their situation.

This. A 30-something is the president for my department's student union. Him and his wife come to our parties and while we're a bit lame for them they're still great friends to us. Bunch of other older students, too.

Normies worship two gods: alcohol and sex.

In order to get your message through to a normie, you need to speak their language. If you want to win the respect of a two-digit IQ plumber, you need to convince him that you get le pussay. Yes, people are pathetic.

>You are obviously coping because no one writes a melodramatic narrative about themselves because they are comfortable with their situation.

Being uncomfortable with the criticism people like you shove down my throat is very different from being uncomfortable with the studying situation.
Everything was fine before others around me started forcing me their own opinions on my life.
That's what I'm coping with. Idiots telling me what I should and shouldn't do, and when I should've done it.
If you fail to see the causality order here you're a moron.
Studying was the right call, it's you I'm trying to cope with if anything.

if you're at college to party than that's great for you
but if you're there to "learn" you're being silly considering you can get the same (or better) level of education "for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library" or rather for "free" on the internet

>You're coping with how much time you missed out on

Oh and this. I hear this a lot too. Just tell me what it is that I missed out on, because I don't know what it is.
Is life a fucking race? I mean if you answer yes, you must admit that the finish line is death and I for one do not want to be the first one there.

OP here. In my country university education is actually free.
I don't see any point in Internet self-education. Most people who say they're self-educated quantum physicists are weed smoking morons who watch a couple of Youtube vids and go "whoa dude".

>"I'm so much better than normies!"
>desperately wants them to think highly of him so he plays according to their social norms

>like you
I never spoke poorly of getting an education later in life. You nervously projected that onto me.

>this classic Jungian shadow complex

Same here. I've thought many times how different my life would be if I could do it all over again. However, it seems a bit absurd to be thinking that at 27.

You have nothing to contribute to this thread.

>be 27
>want to start over
>scared because peers are already married and working

Jow Forums is a shitty place for life discussion because most people here are 15-20 years old. Ask this from people who are 50 or so. They will always tell you to study. They know better.
Think of it this way: you're 27. There's a good chance you'll live to be 95 years old. What makes you think your life is over?

Most people who get a plumbing degree at 18 years old will be sick and tired of it by 40.

>wait did I miss out on
A decade of learning. If that is your real objective (and not "lol young puss"), you would have an extra twelve years of mathematics and physics education had you gone to school at 18.

>doesn't have the willpower for self instruction
Yeah, because no one ever taught themselves programming languages for kicks.

With that said, I disagree with that other user's argument. University's are a lot more fun than just reading from books because they accomodate different modes of learning. I'm with you on that front.

>plumbing degree
Why are you fags consistently shitting on trades jobs? It's adolescent.

this post is kinda ironic considering the pic you used for the op
the "whoa dude" are pseudo intellectuals, this doesn't mean you need to take example from them, i'm talking about individuals who literally pursue knowledge without any agenda other than bettering themselves, as hobbies or otherwise (not for the sake of a degree or getting a good job) this type of education is better done alone, where you can manage not only your time however you want but also where you aren't limited by a timed lecture and a textbook with a finite amont of information which could also be biased based on the culture (propoganda), the need to pack a certain amont of "info" into a schedule or just a shitty curriculum in general

I do agree that you could have always done it earlier, but doing it now seems to be better than never doing it at all. Everyone makes mistakes.
And the main sentiment among older people is indeed that they would study or do it for longer than they did when they were young.

I don't see why the girls would hate you for being old.

>plumbers
>jealous
I am sure as they drive their BMWs they are seething at the idea of a 30 year old guy taking math tests for fun

Attached: C11F0498-3C4A-4AE8-8542-A459EFBDF40B.png (600x412, 166K)

The curriculum thing is spot on. I've had so many classes where the teacher ran out of time before getting to the fun stuff. I think the propaganda point is top notch, too. OP is definitely a fag.

With that said, university learning involved getting to learn with others, have people to revise ideas with, professors to talk to in office hours to illuminate difficult concepts, labs give you hands on experience, you are given direction into what is actually the current trajectory of the medium, access to better resources, being forced to learn and think in ways you may not maje yourself learn, getting paid for your interest if you TA or get research grants like myself, etc.

I guess you can do some of this stuff on your own but it's not as fun. I've definitely emailed back and forth with some professors in the humanities or social sciences, but that is way less fun than heading up North with your professor and shouting questions at them over the boat motor and getting plastered. You get into these fun little avenues of thought while talking in person that leads to real comprehension. Plus it's fun.

That's an attitude I endorse 100%. I went to art school for a year before college and spent another year working. I sort of wish I had gone to school at 18 vs 20, but I am here now and that's all that matters.

I don't hate older men but I certainly would not date one from my classes. One tried grabbing me on the dancefloor once and I fucking bolted.

>saying fun this many times
In my defence I am very sleepy/hung over from writing an exam yesterday.

Your future looks bright user. Remember to use your 50k a year to buy a lot of beer. Also, be sure to invest in uv protection for your eyes.

>A decade of learning.
I hated math and physics in my early 20's. Sure it would've been great if I had been interested in it earlier, but I wasn't. I liked cars, money and tits. Then I watched Neil "The Grass" Tyson's 'Cosmos' and it opened my eyes.
Your way of thinking is dangerous, in my opinion. Think of all the talent that goes to waste because you keep telling people they've already wasted x amount of good studying years. This makes them think they shouldn't start at all.
You make it seem like I should be worried about not having gone to uni at 6 years old. Would've been optimal, right?

>Why are you fags consistently shitting on trades jobs?
I'm doing it comedically, nothing against plumbers.

>doing it now seems to be better than never doing it at
My thoughts exactly. I did have my doubts for a couple of years but then I realized this: every single year that I keep thinking I'm too old is another year I could've studied.
The reason why I started at 29 as opposed to 24 is Jow Forums and the peer pressure that Jow Forums Chads put on you. Literally just Jow Forums. This place is toxic as fuck.

>I sort of wish I had gone to school at 18 vs 20

This tells me you're very young.
Young people always fuss about a couple of years and it's funny to me.
When you're 45 you see how insignificant two years really are.

>black science man
Alright, back to Pleddit.

>shouldn't start at all
>dangerous
Being honest is never dangerous unless the other person is an idiot. I'm not going to coddle someone about their situation. I have friends who finished art school and regret it. That is time wasted in some respects and not in others. If being told that gives them a psychological meltdown, that's their problem, not mine.

>place is toxic as fuck
It is.

Mm. I suppose I am (25). That's comforting, considering how neurotic I get.

>I don't hate older men but I certainly would not date one from my classes. One tried grabbing me on the dancefloor once and I fucking bolted.
i didn't ask you for your fucking opinion you dumb roastie. that question was directed to OP.

G'donya OP!
I doubt studying the universe around you has much chance of making you a better person, but it's still worthwhile and you're succeeding at something. So keep going!

Assuming this is real,
What are you talking about? Nobody cares about your age at uni they're more worried about their next meal not about a 30 year old doing his own thing. I do think it's weird that there are people nowadays that just go to school to become educated and not have a forward thought about work but I don't know you, why would I care?

Attached: 1504324490823.png (386x406, 183K)

Good going man. I want to save enough to go back and study math again, or maybe just enough to read math texts full time again without worry. Really was the best time of my life for a while until some realities hit me hard and I had to leave.

>doesn't know how to reply to a post properly
>posts something in a public venue and then gets mad when it's not a private response
>being this edgy
Sorry my post hurt your feelings, lol

I think depends on what the criteria for better person is. If you mean, studying one's place in the universe can make you humble.

And because you're so delusional, you think people hate you because of your math and physics studies. wew