What is "connections"

>graduated from uni
>didn't get "connections"
>...
everyone I met was my age and therefore just as inexperienced in terms of employment, or nearly.

do people really just meet all of these important executives many years older than them that give them jobs out of nepotism?

or is "connections" just some word normies use to glorify having rich friends who have family members that will give you a job because you know them, rather than your aptitude?

Attached: 1408406175292.jpg (1280x1177, 218K)

Ya nailed it in the last paragraph.

Friends in your field.

Huthuthut fucking normie blrblrblrblrblrblrr

Attached: 5688-1579384552.jpg (700x668, 65K)

It's Nepotism.

I graduated with a sociology degree and now work a cushy job in an accounting department with lots of room for upward mobility.
All I had to do was apply and show up for the interview (mind you I always do well in interviews I have had dozens before)

I got the job because my brother works in thag department. That is what people mean by "connections"

>I got the job because my brother works in thag department. That is what people mean by "connections"
well fuck that pisses me off. the only thing I've ever been good at is working. homework, schoolwork, employment. hopefully it will actually pay off in a decade. my brother isn't going to be able to get me any job...
ree

My professors held reviews where everybody would bring in their mechanical drafting portfolio and try to impress local employers of large manufacturing companies.
Managed to present decent enough material and hold back spaghetti long enough for some to say they woukd "keep me in mind" after I get my two-year degree.
It's better than nothing I guess.

It's more than that though, I did get the job because my brother was already there but that's also because he is a good worker and dependable so the bosses looked at that. They already had one good worker and they took a chance on a new one. If my brother was a shitty worker they might have had a harder decision on their hands.

That's how connections work, not to be confused with nepotism which happens all the time.

>Literally my only foot in the door was my brother
>but it was not nepotism
You may be a great worker, but you got an interview because of family. That is textbook nepotism

Special treatment isn't being given an interview bro they would have interviews me anyway. I had to do well in the interview for them to offer me a job after that. My brother had literally 0 influence other than getting me the interview and existing as a good worker.

Confusing nepotism with connections is not correct and you shouldn't do that. Nepotism involves connections but not all connections involve nepotism

How about professors? Or the recruiters that came to campus, did you talk to any of them and get a business card?

Nepotism would be more like, if his brother owned the company and make the decision to hire him.
Not the same thing

connection = rich dad or uncle

What do you consider rich? What is a big number to you?

Last part.
That and internships.
You can have connections anywhere, it's just college is so much easier because you're always meeting and interacting(kek) with a bunch of people.

You are literally contradicting yourself.

It depends on where you live. Rich in Montana isn't the same as rich in New York. But I'd say if you're in the top 1/3 of income in your area you're rich.

Another reason why extreme introverts excel in this society. Its all about who you know. Unless you graduate with some sort of high end STEM degree where literally nobody is as qualified as you in something super specific.

There's nobody to actually meet inside the school. If you managed to get an internship, that's the only connection you can make in college. In reality it's all about your parents' friends and your friends who already have jobs because of their parents.

No he's correct. Nepotism is like being handed a job you have zero qualifications to do solely because your family or family member owns the company.

No you literally are not understanding perfect English.. connections and nepotism are not mutually inclusive you do not have. Nepotism is not connections, by nature.. but nepotism as a practice implies connection of some sort. I.e. you cannot be nepotistic towards someone you do not know, there is no connection.

Similarly you can have a connection devoid of preferential treatment which is simply a "connection". If you don't understand what I am saying by now then you don't deserve to be hired by anyone.

Stay in school

>It's better than nothing I guess.
>"we'll keep you in mind
That's just saying but no without saying no. If you apply after graduating, they'll have no idea who you are

Jesus Christ I made a fat typo there whole chastising you for not understanding English so you will focus on that and not the fact that you don't understand the meaning of the word nepotism

You mean extroverts ?

Getting to the interview is all of the work. When I had mine for my last job, I had it in the bag and the interview was just a formality. By making it that far, they've already proven they want you and you just need to not screw up.

You don't. The guy had a connection (his brother), that's not nepotism but its a huge leg up. Most people with sociology degrees are working at starbucks.

How do you do well with interviews? do you just talk about the job itself or ask questions about the employer?

They had no idea who I was. I have a sociology degree not an accounting degree I did not already have the job and the interview was not just a formality retard, speak for yourself my dude.

>How about professors?
What are they even going to do? Give you a job on campus? These guys only work for the school and don't consider anyone under a PhD impressive.
>Or the recruiters that came to campus
You mean the guys that have dozens of students begging for the same thing? Most are going to be either more qualified, willing to work for basically nothing, or a minority.

how did you just learn accounting? On the job?

It's literally nepotism. Each family member is passing down their success. Tons of robots are losers due to their families being shit. Myself, neither of my parents even own a car, neither work. I see cousins getting work by age fifteen, and getting paid well too, even though I'm far more qualified and better at such work. I am twenty-nine, and never have done paid work, due to my upbringing being shit.

Half of the people in my accounting department don't have degrees. An accounting degree is a bigger meme than my sociology degree. Yes my brother was a connection but not nepotistic and he didn't give me the job

It's gonna sound memeish but you have to have a certain amount of confidence while not looking like you know everything, you have to play off people well. Like I said I was studying sociology and I might not classify myself as an extrovert I can definitely chameleon into whatever situation I find myself in. I have had more than 10 interviews with job offers from nearly every one

life is unfair, but seriously you only have yourself to blame if you're 29. You should have joined the military or something. A lot of people won't admit it but luck is very important in life, we all started with a different hand. Still though how did you not realize to join the navy at like 24?

So they were completely aware you had no relevant qualifications and yet they decided to give you a shot anyway? You know what happens when someone applies to a job they have no experience in? Their resume goes straight in the trash. They knew exactly who you were.

Yes, on the job. Data entry and filing isn't really a skillset in my opinion but it's more or less 90% of the job

That's not the reason you are a loser, stop blaming everyone but yourself. McDonald's is always hiring stop thinking you are better than that when you just said you've never had "paid work" whatever you meant by that

They knew who I was if they assumed I would be a good worker like my brother is.. That's about it. I still had to pee in a cup or I wouldn't have gotten the job. There are plenty of things that could have prevented me from being hired there

Yep, thats why Ivys are the best. Research is obviously top notch but connections is what makes the Ivys so attractive. You can get comparable educations for much cheaper.

What the fuck kind of accounting are you doing? Are you from the US lol?

Business employers get hundreds of resumes sent to them a day and have extremely specific requirements, its easier for them to just hire a person that somebody they know vouched for

If you're not a normie you have no place going into a business field you should just learn a trade or go into some highly specific field that has an immediate college to profession pipeline and is based entirely on merit like aviation or auto mechanic. I made the mistake of going to business for marketing and because I did nothing in college I have to work two jobs to pay off my loans

I've worked with former 3rd worlders that came from dogshit and managed to make great livings in the U.S., if you can make it to 29 w/o ever having had a job you're a delusional retard. Get a shit job as a waiter/cashier when you're 18, then you have something to put as "Previous Employment" on another low-level but slightly better job, volunteer in your free time, and hopefully between all of this you talk to someone who has done something with their life, and can give you guidance/suggestions. That's what people who don't have a family-business/trust fund &c do.

Like the other 350 m in my country, yes I am from the US? Ever heard of it? I was looking at half a million dollars before lunch today

>If you're not a normie you have no place going into a business field you should just learn a trade or go into some highly specific field that has an immediate college to profession pipeline and is based entirely on merit like aviation or auto mechanic.

I could not agree more. Business/finance is for frat bros

The college is full of people who have and have previously had great jobs - get these people interested in you, and they can introduce you to people who have positions open. I used to work with a near-retard who managed to find himself good internships/jobs just by constantly reaching out to his student adviser, professors, fraternity leaders and such.

But feel free to continue pitying yourself, alas! you hadn't a rich daddy.

>Business/finance is for frat bros
90% of accounting department is robots though

>The college is full of people who have and have previously had great jobs
Who? Teachers don't care about the students enough to help them with that.

Not whoms't you replied to but I was an accounting major for a little while and that's not really true anymore. If you do Tax you have to work with people, and if you do Audit/Consulting you have to often drive out to people's businesses to look at their inventory and records and the companies expect you to represent the business well by being a Chad or Stacy.

The huge earning potential because of severe accoutant shortages is attracting tons of normies to the profession as well

not really. i got my friend a job and i consider that nepotism. my boss was going on about how he wanted to hire new people, and I suggested my friend because he was broke, had a car (i don't have one) and also owed me a bit of money at the time. there's a chance he would have gotten the job otherwise if he just applied, but the fact that I suggested him (and I'm also the best employee) brought him way up.

>Nepotism would be more like, if his brother owned the company and make the decision to hire him.
not really though. the decision by the employer was made because his brother vouched for him. the boss could have even seen it as an alternative to giving his brother a raise.

surely if he was a wheelchair-bound, drooling retard he wouldn't have gotten the job even if 5 of his brothers worked there. probably.

If they didn't know who you were, what did your brother even do? Why bring him up at all then?

>Nepotism is like being handed a job you have zero qualifications to do solely because your family or family member owns the company.
or, being handed the job when there other other applicants with comparable resumes and experience but he was a brother to an employee that already existed, which gave him the extra needed boost.

or maybe he would have gotten the job anyway, and it was just a coincidence that he happened to work at the same place as his brother.

I know too many people who got jobs at the same place as a family member. if their relation to an employee makes any difference, it's nepotism to some degree

Think about it. A person who works for the company sometimes is a better filter than just picking a resume out of 100's, calling them and asking to come down for an interview. If I was a boss, I'd probably he asking my best workers if they knew anyone they could vouch for.

but it sounds like you studied it and didn't actually live it so you'll probably forgive me for not believing your authority on the matter. I studied something that was totally different from accounting/finance and still wound up there. No chads or stacies in sight, but a whole lot of robots and some fembots as well

actually the stacies work in administration or legal or HR even.

Kek, this guy can't admit the only reason he got the job was because of his brother and his work ethics. Implying they would hire this buffoon randomly out of much more qualified people.

Obviously they do, impress them in some way and they'll take an interest in you, why wouldn't they? People want to talk to interesting people, and people also like showing off how connected/capable they are, do well in class, write amazing papers, show serious interest beyond your classmates (or just be a normie) and they'll help you out.

When I was younger I was constantly depressed in school & would withdraw mid-semester: I've had several different proffs during this time personally email me begging me to come back and talk to them, that they would help me with my problems etc even after I had already dropped their classes. If you think being a professor strips away their basic human wants and needs, you're very confused.

you don't need any qualifications to work in an accounting department at the entry level or any department at the entry level goddamn the fact you can't grasp this is why you will never have the job you want

I fucked up badly
I got a comp sci degree but no internships now I'm up shit creek without a paddle

Nah, it's mostly Asians and white bois and with some Indians.
I would say 50/50

Actually in the industry. People who can't function socially (or who have poor English skills, sorry Chinese nationals) get coached out before reaching manager.

>I still had to pee in a cup or I wouldn't have gotten the job
this could have been a legal formality

>There are plenty of things that could have prevented me from being hired there
literally anyone could get fired if they fuck up hard enough. doesn't matter if your dad is the vice-president of the company, if you come into work, rape the secretary, then proceed to smear shit on the walls you'll get fired. right? doesn't mean your dad didn't pull any strings, or they didn't assume you'd fit better because of his behavior [rather than yours]

Yeah I don't get what they mean about connections in uni. It seems like professors hate undergraduates and don't want to deal with me

my degree is in business/econ but all work experience is programming.
is that good?

>A person who works for the company sometimes is a better filter than just picking a resume out of 100's
How? All this says is that the guy is his friend. If I'm a software developer and say my friend is a good accountant, why does that matter? It seems like its just a reason to not go through all those resumes.

>The college is full of people who have and have previously had great jobs
how many 20 year olds have had great jobs? all the people I knew that had jobs had some minimum wage shit-tier job they got from their daddy, or their best friend's dad's business from high school

actually it's white and latino. there is one asian in my department and he is a bro
this is incorrect

my dad had nothing to do with me getting the job I currently have. my dad works for the banks and I work for a company that is working with the banks. I make the bank work for me

Yes you do. They have little 2 year accounting programs and you should probably be quick books certified. You don't need a bachelors obviously but you can't just walk in and start doing accounting work, or else more people would be doing that.

I have the job I want. Maybe not my dream job, but a decent paying job. I got it the same manner you did actually. My friends father works there and and got my foot in the door.
Except I can admit he had a lot to do with it. My resume wasn't some shining golden beacon of light and could have easily been thrown in the trash if I didn't get a recommendation internally.

Idk must be my location then but there were tons of Chads in my accounting classes they could be dropping out too because its too hard as well, that's what happened to me only I'm not a Chad

I use quickbooks every day and never took an accounting class. Suck on my eggs, boy

>you can't just walk in and start doing accounting work, or else more people would be doing that.
that's exactly what I did

I had a connection with a guy I worked on a programming project with, and he told me about this place he was working and he gave me a recommendation to his boss, got me an interview and a job.

I don't know anything about the programming market but unless you can use that to your advantage you are probably fucked

After I pay my loans off I'm going to learn how to become a truck driver but I will probably never retire

but having a lot to do with it isn't nepotism... it is a connection which is the only point I am making, I never said I didn't have help, I just said that I got a job through another person. I didn't just wake up one day and was magically hired, I had to NETWORK
those people with accounting degrees probably work at Subway kek

because your brother got you the job retard, you're not special because you can keep track of numbers

It's both. Its like with anything in life really. You trust the people around you. Think about it like dating. You can approach a random girl or you hope a friend yours already known her. That way you are somewhat connected and someone can vouch for you instead of doing a cold approach.

College was just a mistake for me
I spent 4 years and over $300k of other people's money and I'm still a stock boy at Wal-Mart

And tbt it's not really the job but the fact I still have debt to pay off

Why did you go to a private school

I never said I was special but you seem to think I am. I am simply telling you that accounting requires no schooling or certification. You get a job and learn how to handle the accounts, that's literally all it is. I would feel bad for someone who pursued that as a program but there aren't enough small violins in the world

people should be expected to make completely objective judgments when comparing people they know (such as family) to people they do not?

My mother had been adamant since I was born I would go to a private school
Fuck her

If you're a good student & modest about your capabilities, you will likely have professors doing the work and reaching out to you. Granted I went to low-level schools, but that was my experience.

was not my experience at all and went to a mid tier college

>do well in class, write amazing papers, show serious interest beyond your classmates
I did all of that (except my major doesn't have paper) and had one of the highest if the not highest GPAs of people in my major.
>When I was younger I was constantly depressed in school & would withdraw mid-semester: I've had several different proffs during this time personally email me begging me to come back and talk to them, that they would help me with my problems etc even after I had already dropped their classes
I had a similar bit but professors told me to shape up or drop out. For whatever reason, your professors care about you far more than any normal teacher/student relationship. Did you dad donate a few million or something?

went to a small state school ~6800 and that was my experience, there was always some event going on to promote networking and career development. Not that I went to that shit

>unless you can use that to your advantage you are probably fucked
i have a mediocre job making websites but i'm fucked regardless.

My parents never took college. I studied Literature & Classics, maybe that sort of work just brings more compassionate people. I was also clearly pretty eccentric in my reading & speech, perhaps they found me endearing and wanted to help.

It works the other way as well. Rich kids , and that is smart, look for naive fools who will follow muh connections meme. Those end up being a fuel to rich get richer machinery. Either scammed or being a rich kiddo's wageslave.

"Networking" is the biggest meme ever.