Idiots buying expensive pens

>my friend just bought one of these

He got it through a "friend" whose dad works at a dealer or some shit and he paid $400 for it. The guy makes that per week after taxes and he was over the fucking moon because he got such an "iconic" pen for """""ONLY""""" $400. Am I missing something here? Are people legitimitely so fucking stupid that they're willing to pay 400 fucking money units for a fucking pen and call it a bargain? I nearly clawed my fucking eyes out when he showed it to me, what the fuck is wrong with people? The reason I'm making this thread is because I saw a thread about pens a while ago and I'm wondering who the fuck is interested in this shit aside from CEO's making 1mil+ sans bonuses who want to show off to their cronies and other rich friends.

Someone explain this shit to me. Even $20 is too much for a pen, but I'm willing to tolerate it. $100+ is just suicide-worthy.

Attached: 149.jpg (1920x1080, 156K)

lol, poorfag is upset

its a hobby

avocado

Why do you care soo much about how people spend there government shekels?

you are poor

monte blancs are awesome. i have a thousand dollar pen in my pocket. good for your friend.

god i hate poor people

>400 fucking money units
I have no idea why this made me kek

Pfft, that's so extravagant and pretentious. I'll just stick to my reed pen desu.

Pfff Ill just stick to my clay tablets

$400 isn't that much for a nice anything if you have the money, sorry you're poor

Ignore those calling you poor, it really is a stupid waste

I see your poor as well

Why do basedboys buy trinkets like this and take pictures of them?

Attached: 5E87042C-0200-40D0-846B-F86A86358D88.jpg (1600x1200, 359K)

>not wanting a fancy pen
Fuck off

I see you have no argument. Go on and dodge byebye

*you're

I expect someone who is not poor to know how to spell.

What's it like living in the projects?

It's one of those collector things. It's irrational when viewed on a society-wide scale, but from the perspective of the individual pen buyer, one of these pens may be a good investment if other hobbyists keep buying and creating demand for them.

What is it like being a weasel trying to cheat his way into winning an argument? Hahah

"People buying nice things makes me mad" isn't an argument

Nice try but I said it was a waste not that it makes me mad.

>STOP ENJOYlNG THINGS!!111 ARGHHHH

Attached: 1525352430022.gif (245x240, 499K)

OP sounds like a leftist.

Buying things is a hobby? At least expensive cars or cameras (up to a certain price point) will function better than their cheaper counterparts. I tried this "bargain $400 pen" and it functions no better than the $10 pen my dad uses.

Give me one objective reason why that pen is better than others that are 10 times cheaper.

describe to me how it feels to make spelling mistakes with a 1000$ pen. OMEGALUL.

Attached: 200.gif (301x200, 389K)

It's a talking point if you don't have a personality

>describe to me how it feels to make spelling mistakes with a 1000$ pen.
kek

Don't listen to these rich people. They get angry with the man making minimum wage spending money on credit for emergencies and say that's wasting money because it makes someone else rich. Yet spending $400 on a pen isn't a waste and somehow doesn't make anyone rich.

Do you get pissy when you see people buy expensive gaming PCs, cars, or watches?

It's an enthusiast thing.

It's a nice thing to have but I literally just steal pens from the classes I'm in and not give a fuck as long as it works

Are you joking? The more expensive PCs are almost always demonstrably better. They're faster, have better coolling, have better components like CPUs and GPUs (allowing for better performance with shit like vidyas and video editing), and god knows what else.

Same thing with more expensive cars, up to a certain price point. If someone is literally paying for a ridiculous 200k+ lambo then they either have shitloads of money anyway, or they're idiots as well. Same goes for watches.

Give me one fucking reason why anyone would pay $400+ for a fucking pen. Go ahead, I'm listening. If it's "just" like cars and PCs you can certainly name a few reasons why they're better than their $20 counterparts.

i bought 200 dollar sunglasses last week, is that bad?

That's a neat looking pen.

Dunno, were they prescription?

You are a neat looking faggot.

I'm not advocating it but you can compare two pens and maybe the expensive one writes smooth as a marble. That is a significant quality difference but still doesn't disqualify me from saying it's a pretty dumb hobby.

who even uses a pen in 2018 lmao

expensive PCs are more powerful than cheap PCs
same with cars
but a pen is just a fucking pen. you write with it, thats it, and theres no way a fancy richfag pen like OPs is 20 times better at writing than a regular $20 pen.

well at least you can wear your fancy sunglasses for many hours every day
meanwhile that expensive pen is just gonna rot in some pocket all day and maybe see a minute or two of use at a time

How is buying a pen a fucking hobby i understand expensive art supplies but not an actual writing utensil thats just fucking stupid. Unless you can draw well its a waste and youre a faggot

no, regular ones
i got these ones because one of the guys in resevoir dogs wears them

Attached: img_art_CLUBMASTER_RB_3016_W0365.jpg (550x250, 17K)

Are you genuinely so autistic that you can't understand why people buy luxury and collector's items?

This is no different than buying an expensive rug or a piece of art from a prestigious artist. You're not buying it for any practical reasons. Do you think everyone has to spend their money exclusively on utilitarian purchases?

Suck my bic

>not having a personal scribe available 24/7
Take a look at these plebs.

loomis warned you faggots but did you listen? Nooo "I want to draw perfect boxes with $400 pens"
get fucked

This
A bic clic stic pen runs for around $0.02
I can order one faggoty $400 pen or 20000 bic stic clic pens.
I'm choosing 20000 pens over 1 pen.

What the fuck are you going on about, what is loomis?

or you could buy 80 preppys and stick them all in your anus

Attached: 67092.jpg (600x400, 34K)

who needs 20000 pens? i'm not buying that many pens. i don't need more than 1 pen so i'd buy 1 pen.

sharpies are the official anal pens, not preppies

Depends of the job you have, my aunt makes a hair over $50k/yr selling stuff to rich people but she has to drive the latest BMW/Audi/whatever otherwise people won't take her seriously.

>who needs 20000 pens?

fuck you I don't have to justify myself to you

there is no reason anyone would need 20000 pens. ban assault pens.

I use these and they do the job just fine. A pen is a really dumb thing to buy as a luxury item since part of the appeal of high end merchandise is improved performance and a pen is still ultimately just a pen. Even if your handwriting is absolutely exquisite it's not really going to do anything for you unless drafting beautiful handwritten essays is your hobby. It's really not comparable to a top of the line computer or a luxury or sports vehicle becuase those thing's actually markablely improve functionality.

Attached: PIL26010.jpg (650x650, 67K)

Op is of the gays

Attached: opisfag.png (640x546, 587K)

OK. Autistic rant incoming, since I had collecting pens as a hobby.
First, I wouldn't recommend buying a Mont Blanc if you have to do more writing than just a signature. Those pens are not good for writing lots of pages, your hand starts to hurt. They are also not much bang for your buck.
So why would anyone spend more than 20 bucks on a pen?
Well, a good pen is smooth as fuck and you can write very fast and a lot. In my case, it also makes my writing more legible.
Furthermore, a good pen will last you a lifetime. I have pens that are literally a 100 years old in my collection and they still work.
But I guess if you don't do much handwriting, it doesn't really matter.

To add to this comment: I have $600 worth of pens, but I have about 10 ranging from $10 to $150. The ones above $50 were a huge mistake. I love my $40 Lamy, my $45 Kaweco, and my $50 Caran D'Ache. They're better than any budget pen I've ever had but the ones above that price range have not added anything substantial. Mostly the finish is just kinda nice but other than that there's nothing to speak of. Maybe other people have different opinions but I honestly can't think of a reason to pay for anything above $50 (unless, for some reason, you deperately want a gold nib).

Or they like the way they look, which is still a dumb reason to buy that kind of shit when you have little to spend, but I suppose women spend a lot on makeup so I don't find the occasional splurging on pens that weird...

Reading victorian novels really makes me want to learn proper handwriting and particularly writing fancy letters.

People in the thread defending the purchase lol.
Unless it was a collectible, you're better off with cheap ones. It's just a fucking pen.

I do enough math to fill multiple notebooks and im paying 25 bucks for a 12 pack of uniball pens and it's probably the most important thing I buy

in the grand scheme of things, $400 for a pen over the lifetime earnings of even a low tier wage slave isn't something to get too worked up about

would I spend $400 on a pen no but it's still only $400

People will buy any shit as status symbol.
Basically makes them feel entitled.
In my opinion thats quite stupid in many cases, but hey it opens up a market in which you can basically rob those who have enough money anyways.

On the other hand:
It does help climbing the social ladder or staying on it.
Thats because people with wealth will recognize your wealth from your status symbols.

You can write really fancy with a $20 flex nib fountain pen. The line variation you'll get will be way better than one of these $1000 pens.

>the nightcrawler glasses

That guy making $400 per week is not gonna benefit socioeconomically in any way, just for having an expensive piece of writing equipment.

My brother has an expensive pen like that. He's a lawyer, and apparently they're all very cult-like, so he bought it specifically to impress anyone who he sits down with and create the impression that he's powerful or otherwise valid or something like that, like he's "in" with the lawyer cult, not a noob that can be disrespected. He at least seems to be fully conscious of the fact that there's nothing inherent to the pen itself that makes him any of these things. But it would be very silly if everyone who had one of these pens only bought it to impress other people who also bought the same pens for the same reason.

It pisses me off too.

I would not pay more than $5 for a pen.
Even if I were a billionaire.

It's a pen, just a pen. Spending 400 on clothing would be a better way to achieve the same thing. It's not like you're going to be showing off your pen to people all day, at least I hope people don't do that.

If I cared about the pen I used I would buy only those that actually add something, so maybe one that's super smooth and looks nice. Probably would spend a couple dozen buckaroos on it.

its basically about the probability of someone recognizing the pen and saying "hey that dude has (((style)))". Of course assuming that there are people in his surroundings that appreciate these kind of things.

everyone has his own interests.
If he shows more interest into pens and likes to talk about them, he'll be more likely to bond with someone over pen-talks than over the shirt he just happened to buy without actually caring about it.

its not about it being a pen.
its about sending a message.

should have bought shuron, they're at least made in usa and don't have ridiculous mark up.

Attached: shuron-eye-ronsirzyl-blackbriar-54-angle[1].jpg (1500x721, 45K)

Do you write that message with the pen? Must the paper that the message is written on be of high quality as well?

Well there are some really neat coustom pens that have different writing modes like two lines, a thick line, and a thin line which makes sense for a hundred dollar pen but anything over is more for collectors. It is the same way with watch collectors a digital watch tells time way better than a mechanical one but some guys want that fancy rolex.
>I'm wondering who the fuck is interested in this shit aside from CEO's making 1mil+ sans bonuses who want to show off to their cronies and other rich friends.
Fuck I hate this. I was once in a room with 3 billionaires are they could not stop bragging about how rich they were and competing to see who has the better stuff, not getting work done.

The autism is paIpable.

why does it matter it's his money.And if he makes $400 a week then it doesn't seem like that much money.Personally i would never spend $400 on a pen.

Attached: 1512570985316.png (400x333, 91K)

he could sell the pen and make the $400 back straight away,as there is a demand.

Fun fact: I have actually shoved one of these up my ass before: I wrapped it in saran wrap and used coconut oil as lube.

It wasn't worth it, I was too anxious to enjoy myself since I was scared my parents would start wondering why the smell of coconut oil and shit was wafting through their bedroom door.

>"Dress for the job you wish to have"

I like fountain pens, the most expensive one I've bought so far was $81, I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail though. Before this the most expensive pen I had bought was about $40 (Lamy Al-star).

I don't use them in public anymore, people will laugh at me and I'm always worried that I'll drop it down a sewer grate.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 70K)

They're actually only excited because they're into sounding. The expensive pens don't break off in your urethra.

Do you speak from personal experience? You have tried these things?

>I like fountain pens
>I don't use them in public anymore, people will laugh at me and I'm always worried that I'll drop it down a sewer grate.
you are a strange little man

>buying fountain pens in cy+3
Stay with the times, boomers.
Mechanical pencil masterrace.

Attached: uni-kuru-toga.jpg (640x480, 32K)

>masterrace.
>with a disgusting squishy kuru-toga
True best pencil is Rotring 500 (same mechanism as the 600 but lighter case).

i hope you feel better, now that you could admit that you are gay

how tf that dude take a picture of his camera

phone or some other camera

It plays the same role as a Rolex watch or a Gucci belt. Superficial status symbol that's only marginally better than the same thing that's orders of magnitude cheaper. It signals to others that you have shitloads of disposable income and you're a rich wasteful asshole. The kind of guy that people want to know not for personality but because they want to be a rich asshole too. New money loves this stuff. Rappers and NFL players and other niggardly niggers like that. Old money knows how to be understated and exercise moderation, because they don't have to show off. They're the real thing and being wealthy is just normal to them.

Attached: 1326976703980.jpg (500x500, 49K)

buy the same frame from zenni for 25 dollars just over 40 total for my fucked up vision. go to the local optometrist and have to pay 300 otherwise.

Perhaps he would like to start caligrpahy as a hobby but is a dumbass and doesn't know what pens to purchase.

I've spent hundreds of dollars on pens before and don't see anything wrong with it if you can afford it. High end fountain pens are gorgeous pieces of craftsmanship and they're fun to write with. If you like that kind of stuff then what's the problem?

its pretty dumb tbf if you're a poorfag like that guys friend

Iktfb, no one knows about my FPs for that reason, they're my private hobby. Btw what pen did you buy?

Nah he owns many pens, I think his most expensive one is about $100 and that already made me want to punch him. He knows damn well that caligraphy pens are cheap as hell, he just doesn't care for them.

Bump this super interesting thread

I don't think there's anything to explain when it's clearly just something you're not into. I mean, I don't really get it either but to each their own. My dad used to buy my mom $200 pens for her birthday or anniversary but she does calligraphy so I guess it's different.

Unless your friend comes asking for $400 from you because he can't pay bills this month, don't judge him for what he decides to spend money on. We all have dumb shit we buy.

fountain pens are so fucking smooth it takes no effort regular ball point pen feels like cave man carving into paper with strength of wild cheetah fountain pen feels so smooth even disposable fountain pens i like so much PILOT VARSITY i dont get the expensive ones, i think their just kinda showing off that you can afford it but like a shittier gucci that no one really knows about or respects the logo of.

400? Coulda copped me a decent pair of jordans for that much. smhed

People spending a lot for no reason on things is very cringey. It stinks of little dick syndrome.

I already make great money, and through the course of my career I never changed my lifestyle much. You see, I'm tall and have a huge cock. I've never suffered from little manlet syndrome.

That's what the rolex and pen crowd are, and most of us see that.

>waaahh people are spending money doing things they enjoy

Autism.

Imagine you're writing a very important note to a very important person, and you want it to stand out uniquely. No ordinary pen will write with the ease and beauty of a more expensive pen. Having a fountain pen or a nib and ink pot will do this quite nicely. And if you write a lot, every day, you will not hesitate to drop money on something that will have that much importance and use. Some people don't have the skill to use one properly, or a career where it is important to handwrite things constantly. If I had the funds, I'd buy one.

>Imagine you're writing a very important note to a very important person

Last time I spoke to a human was 27 days ago