What are your opinions on determinism?

What are your opinions on determinism?

I've been thinking of the little victories of it and its been helping me appreciate everything. Yes, people who murder people were determined by a long chain of prior causes to do so but you taking time out of your day to talk to someone could mean that you started a train of positive momentum. In a slightly different universe where that conversation had not taken place they might've turned into serial killer because you were doing something else. The complete opposite could've happened too but that's beautiful in a way as well, every single thing matters.

Attached: determinism.jpg (470x328, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HHX8DpvyMiU
breakingthefreewillillusion.com/bells-theorem-assumes-freewill/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What are your opinions on determinism?
The universe is stochastic, not deterministic

Honestly, everything is cause by something, it's ignorant to say it all just happens because the dice said so

The stochastic model feels weird when applied to the universe, can you elaborate on that? I'm imagining it being practically and functionally the same as determinism, since chaos theory and the laws of the universe apply to either.

What is the beginning? The big bang?

Of this instance of this universe? Probably. Of all that ever was, is or will be? Probably not.

>slightly different universe
no such thing. what could cause the permutation? an action before the false decision? what could cause that action? another decision? the emergence does not need your valuation (positive action) and would never be otherwise. appreciate in the sense of Sisyphus? Pathetic.

I think at least the grand scheme of things is deterministic.

>What are your opinions on determinism?
It's a stupid topic for pseudo-intellectuals. Like religion or morals.

It's ignorant to think the dice are not part of the chain of causes. When you are born the die is cast and while you live dice rolls play a part in the results. We still have the intelligence to factor in these dice rolls and make appropriate choices. Take drunk driving, You can look at the obvious faces of the dice some with skull and crossbones on it but you can look and say Hmm I probably shouldnt do that because it's too risky.

I am saying that "if things could be", not "things could be". Because of how things are my actions have the impact that they do and I've come to enjoy that. Not a more profound thing to say than "the sky is pretty, but it is in fact pretty.

Not OP, but I like to think that this is not the only way the universe can turn out. I believe that the universe will eventually collapse back into another big bang, and the way the atoms arrange themselves within that big bang (there's a number speculated on in how many different variations there can be) will result in a more or less different course the universe will take.

Attached: Cool.png (326x367, 314K)

It's kinda cool though if you take it seriously and think about it enough.

This is a good argument against nihilism because it shows things DO matter and have meaning.

Everything is ruled by the logos

I believe this too. Even in the hard sciences, quantum level phenomena are this way. God does play dice with the universe, so to speak

>The universe is stochastic, not deterministic

Attached: 1520783393294.jpg (645x773, 56K)

>Everything is ruled by the thing with like 20 different definitions
Bad sentence.

Best video on the subject

youtube.com/watch?v=HHX8DpvyMiU

Attached: hqdefault[1].jpg (480x360, 24K)

>that intro
>that username
This guy thinks very highly of his intelligence, doesn't he?

Bell's theorem begs the question. It literally assumes without evidence that experimenters have metaphysical libertarian free will and then builds on that assumption.

Also here's an article about that

breakingthefreewillillusion.com/bells-theorem-assumes-freewill/