/run/ Running General

Running thread

How are you running today?
Any podcast recommendation?

Anyone has the sticky?

Attached: funny-running-posts-1-20-15.jpg (600x420, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rt9hgtFzZk0
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=3451127
fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur Lydiard.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I used to run a bit. Nowadays I only run on cardio days and only do intervals.

Fuck the long distance runners

So, I have an app for resistance training
What if I want an app for speed? For improving speed in anaerobic exercises? What should I use?

I seem to have leveled off at about 1 1/4 miles. What can I do to increase my cardio gains? I'm working in sprints as well.

Lose weight increase mileage eat better sleep more

I guess just increase milage then. Three of the four I've been doing for a while. Thanks man.

how do i run?
literally never done it
i bike as my main form of transportation, and i work out regularly, but ive never done any distance runnning outside of like a mile i ran for middle school.

do i midfoot strike? is that a meme?
do i land on the balls of my feet?
do i stay low to the ground?
do i push off high and like jump between steps?

youtube.com/watch?v=Rt9hgtFzZk0

Long runs and most Jow Forums type cardio you probably doing will be primarily heel strike, not too much roll. If you wanna run repeats (best excersize) or races mid-forefoot strike. Shorter the distance, closer to tip toeing. You probably want high cadence, (steps per min) prolly 150-180, for the longer easy runs, the faster you go the lower this gets as ur stride widens. That’s what I know as a long-distance dyel, respond if you need more help.

I stopped running about 4 months ago and picked it back up today. Fuck me, who knew not doing it for so long would worsen my performance? I'm in better overall shape now because that used to drain me of all energy instead of just cramps and needing to catch my breath. Still managed to run about 65% as much as I did at my peak though, which is way more than I did very first starting. Gonna keep at it. Between this and squats, my quads will be solid and hopefully my knees won't turn to mush

I'm also just getting back into it too. I ran a marathon last year for the first time, but was severely under trained and could barely walk for like 2 weeks after. Since then I've only run like once 3 months for quarterly PT appraisals. I've been running regularly and starting to put distance back on slowly but surely. I wanna get back to where I can run any sub 10 mile distance without a problem.

just started c25k, have to spit out green spit all the time. Is this normal?

Attached: B09BEB61-E8A0-4967-9E62-8DB722771A52.jpg (480x528, 35K)

Posted about a knee problem last thread. Oddly enough I think it was tight hamstrings and quads. After rolling out everything on a foam roller and with a lacrosse ball, 90% of the pain went away and I was able to run the next day. It wasn't minor pain either, I was limping after a race last week. Just passing the knowledge on to my /run/ bros.

I'm running 6 miles in an hour, but I'm experiencing a lot of hip pain towards the last half mile. Any tips? Also, any tips on getting faster? I run twice a week and lift 3 days a week.

>inb4 "just run faster"

Been running a lot since the summer of 2016. Started with being barely able to run 1 mile to running 4-6 miles and right now running 2 miles every day for spring break. Ran many many miles over the past 1.5 years and I can honestly say one thing. Fuck running. I hated every single one of those miles and I hated every single one of these runs. I've gotten out of breath after 10 seconds on every single run I started.

increase mileage injure knee get fat again

ill try that thanks run fag

>I've gotten out of breath after 10 seconds on every single run I started.
How common is this? I've heard this a few times from people and I even see it with the one person I run with.

I've seen it a lot in people that don't really push themselves while running. It's like they go just hard enough to feel it and then don't ever push past it so they never like actually train or something idk. I used to severely overestimate how hard I was running and someone told me to run with them on a 6:30 pace mile and I felt like my throat was gonna close up on lap 2 but I kept running and realized that it wasn't going to close up and I was just actually trying hard for once.

At this point you just need to run more.
More often at least, and longer.

I feel like you are over complicated this a lot. I never worried about how to run, you just run, it's a natural movement.
Don't use that as an excuse not to go for 6 miles today.

Don't think so, never happened to me.

Thanks for the feedback.

Honestly for me it was about taking running more seriously, running more often, etc.

Most of the time I'm the same; no joy in running. But racing makes it all worth it. Try a race if you can.

I feel like that’s such an amazing metaphor for working hard in life.

>run
>bad shin splits
>google how to fix
>just rest bro lmao
>rest for a week
>run
>bad shin splints

what do

Need help guys
I'm super prone to running injury
I have extremely high arches
My ankles are really unstable and I've developed peroneal and extensor tendon issues that have lasted a year.
People say my form is ok
What are tips to stay injury free?

I've rested for months before and then always get shin splints when I run again... Maybe some of us are just FUCKED. I jumped onto the cyclist meme for cardio and it's done well for me. That being said you should try resting for more than one week before doing something else

I know that Brad Hudson swears by hill sprints for injury preventions. His athletes makes them at least once a week.

Rice days are rucking cancer
Probably issue with form/ structural
Go see a sports doctor to check arches gait felxibility stability and others

Rice fags
Fuck my pc phone

you're a GDE. kys, faggot.

Don't over think it. Aim for mid foot strike. Keep in mind that your shoes will determine what happens down there tho. I bought into the minimalist Keene and got some shoes with basically no padding (not the toe shoes those are gay) and live it. I can only run like 2 miles at a time in them though. I feel it way more in my ass and quads than my hip flexors and hammies like with my squishy shoes.

I reccomend starting with regular running shoes, aim for mid foot stride, and do couch to 5k.

Probly bad form

Whats gde

Minimalist meme* fml

What are your minimalist shoes? I bought the merrell vapor glove a week ago and so far it's good.
Strangely I have some pain in the middle of the back after a while. Hope it will disappear.

How can i sprint 100m in under 11?
Any training tips or exercises?

My guess is "genetic dead end"

I can run 5k in 22''30, AMA

jk, I'm aiming for sub 22, that's where I'll consider myself a decent runner. Anything above 25 as a guy is bad, and between 22 and 25 you're getting there.

I think that really depends on where you currently are for what decent runner means.
If you go to let's run, 22 is probably considered walking.
Look at this thread letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=3451127 with serious and less serious answers for example.

I don't believe 25 is bad for a guy.

Yes you're right. I'm a recreational runner who runs 3 times a week 5k, for me sub 22 is decent.

Yeah, it's more than decent. My point is more about try to do your best and don't look down on slower runners.

How long should I wait after eating before running, I always have dinner before and even if i wait like 4 hours I will start to feel sick after a while and have to stop after like 30mins

Never concerned with such things. Right after it can work. Just try and see I would say.

I used to run 1500m and 800m in school but quit running about 4 years ago and been doing a mixture of other sports and lifting since. I would really like to run a marathon next year (not concerned about a time, more just completing it) but I’ve lost all cardiovascular fitness I have. I went for my first run in years the other day, did 3km and was pretty fucked after. Should I just gradually try to increase this distance every week until like 10 or 15km? Also is it ok to just run twice a week? Would be looking at running a marathon in summer of 2019

Phlegm? Sounds like some sort of infection. Do you have a chronic cough or something? You might want to see a doctor

Started again after 5 years. It's harder than when i was 22.
Currently able to run 4 miles in like 40-45 minutes but my pulse is getting to high.
Should I
>reduce milage?
>reduce pace?
>just keep on going till body adapts an pulse drops?
I don't mind running with a high pulse btw, It's just getting too high at the end.

>It's just getting too high at the end.
Never gonna make it

Don't focus on your pulse, when you start running just look at the duration and the distance you have done. As long as your pulse is below (220-your age) you're fine.

just keep on going till body adapts an pulse drops?
Unless its like 180. Than reduce pace

I had them for months when I first started, for most people they just go away on their own eventually you just have to keep at it.
Might want to see a doc and get checked out in case it's something else though.

Ran 9 miles for the first time yesterday, lads. Feeling accomplished.

Attached: 1519550927082.png (960x720, 743K)

Running only twice a week isn't optimal.
It's okay if you are just starting but going to be a problem when you will implement different types of training.

Ak, guess i'll just keep going then. Thanks.

Is there some kind of basic running fitness level that you cannot lose once you achieved it?
I remember when I first started around 18 I couldn't even run for 5 minutes straight without my pulse exploding. Took me like 2 month to run 30 minutes straight.
And even though I had several major breaks in my training as well as becoming overweight I never returned to that pathetic initial state.
I was always able to return to running 30 minutes straight within 2 weeks.

Is it cause you where running from the street gangs in Venezuela?

Nah. I'm 2 weeks away from the RI Firefighter Physical Agility Test. I failed 6 months ago because of zero cardio. Now I'm gona go light until test day. I also enjoy pushing myself.

I used to run a 10k in 45min everyday for a year, then i stopped for 3 months and now i can barely run 2km. What the fuck happened? is cardio gains this easy to lose?

Yes, you lose fast but you can get back as well.

So far i only improved my running distance.
At what point should I stop and try to improve my speed? Or should i do both at the same time?

fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur Lydiard.pdf

Can you run 2 hours easily?
And yes add speed some days, either some strides or some fartlek at least.

I usually use a treadmill but the other day I definitely had shin splints and cut my run short.

I had been going to the gym straight through the week and always run 2-2.5 miles when I get there, so now I am curious about the run schedule of other anons. I have a feeling the shin splints occurred because I didn’t take a rest day and tried running too often.

If you smoke cigs or weed thats fairly normal yes

I've been running for 6 days a week for 2 hrs in all of march, and totally hit the wall today. i could only do 15 minutes. I want to push myself to do it, but my legs are jello. WTF do I do?

good, went for b2b 18km trail runs, feels good to do shit after really really long winter over here

Great job; when bumping mileage you need to do some deload from time to time.
Your body is telling you to deload this week (just run less).

>Havent run and lifted in 5 years. Look like a dyel skinnyfat.
>Friend calls me to go for a run by the beach one warm summer evening.
>Run 10k in 1.5-2 hours.

Even though time was shit, felt amazing.

Why does this shit happen to every pair of my running shoes exactly at that spot. I don't even have any calluses there. And no i don't buy cheap shoes.

Attached: file.png (1000x1029, 1.92M)

If you're not listening to alt right podcasts about saving your people while running, you're doing it wrong

What are the best shoes for under $50? I'm willing to wait for a sale if there's one that regularly gets below that on sale

Happens to me, not really a problem.

I think that might be from pulling your shoes off

I mean I know it’s completely fucking obvious, but there’s genuinely people who didn’t know this in previous threads
Running faster isn’t just moving legs faster, it’s also putting more force into the ground as you push off with each step. Push downwards harder and train your muscles with a leg press or something

Just hit my first sub 20 minute 5K 2 days ago. Only 19:50 though, so not far under. Aiming for a 19 minute at least by the end of summer

>Anything above 25 as a guy is bad
what is your weight skelly?

You will lose it eventually. What you might have gained is mental fortitude though, so when you try to run again you can push through discomfort more readily.

That or the major breaks you had weren't long enough.

So "no" to "cannot lose" but practically if your breaks are never long enough... yes?

it was a problem with my last pair. Eventually the fluff was fully gone. At that point the inner material kept rubbing against my feet and i got blisters.

>stamina is alright
>muscles fail me

>muscles feel alright
>stamina fails me
Every time

FUCKING THIS

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU GET PAST IT

didnt work, just couldnt breathe

For me there is kind of a threshold at running for like 3-4 minutes where i feel like i am going to be out of breath soon. But that usually goes away after like 8 minutes.

>how do you egt past it
by not being a faggot

it is almost like your body starts releasing hormones

i literally blacked out and faceplanted

I have a collapsed arch on one foot due to muscle weakness and no idea how to fix it, pls halp

Attached: 1948239_404162266389446_8056967907810564989_n.jpg (960x540, 47K)

Go see a doctor maybe? Either you are very untrained or you might have a heart condition.
If you are just starting i'd suggest interval running/walking.

Does it get better?

I'm overweight. 220, 6'1. I think about 40 pounds so. I've been sedentary for a long, long time. I'm at 7:50 to a mile, and the most I've gone was 2 miles. It fucking sucks. It's painful as fuck.

Will it get better once the child hanging off my gut fucks off? How can I make my calves scream less?

Attached: 1521412591612.jpg (793x786, 54K)

>overweight
>running
First you go down to a normal weight, then and only then you exercise.

Attached: 1922397_247807868737903_1653883657_n.jpg (599x574, 32K)

7:50 all out for 1 mile? or 7:50 average for the 2 miles you went?

calculate your TDEE and go on a 15-20% calorie deficit. c25k is a good beginners running program

Ohhh this is the thread for me
Im currently 84 kg 5'6, trying to lose weight.
I used to do mostly strength/cardio stuff but not really the treadmill, people i've talked to told me that i need to do treadmill more so i've been trying to do it lately and so far i can only go as far as 6km an hour, so about 1km per 10 minutes, i know it's bad but what should i be aiming to run for about 8km per 20 min? Helpppp

>go run a lap fatty
>don't run while ur fat

I need to run before I ship out though

Attached: 1521482323561.png (211x246, 11K)

I wouldn't say all out but I was pretty gassed. My 2 miles was 11 minutes average lol.

I reckon I could get pretty close to 7 but it'd rape my soul.

Also all of my runs are morning runs. I do much better running at about noon than I do 6.

Attached: 1520473925118.gif (202x268, 1.76M)

Don't listen to this retard unless you want to be super skinny fat fuck boy. At least swim or something first to get your heart rate up and work in to running.

try out couch to 5k, if the first week is too easy for you skip ahead to week 3

yeah 8km in 20 mins sounds reasonable just go ahead and set a world record

yeah, the pain in your joints is just weakness leaving your body

Improve distance first then go quicker is my suggestion. My uncontrolled casual pace is around 7-8 km/s. But i dread indoor running.

I have no pain in my joints. There is only pain in my calves. Ever since I first ran it was always one specific region in my calves.

Attached: 1522357692165.png (651x429, 22K)

Why do so many people run to loose weight?
It is surely less effective than lifting or calisthenics.

yet

why would it be less effective?

Attached: 1385252249159.jpg (1600x1200, 217K)

Do both, brainlet. I lift 3 days a week and run at least twice a week on the off days.

im
and i just ran a mile.
holy fuck what the hell, i bike 70-80 miles a week, i know thats not insane but i just mean that im not super sedentary, and i got winded and my legs started burning after .2 miles.
jesus shit.
at first my calves were getting exhausted before anything else so i adjusted my form, then it was like i was running using only my hammys and glutes.
unless im sprinting i cant even figure out how to use my quads, or maybe my quads are overdeveloped from biking and hammys and glutes underdeveloped.
idk
either way im gonna continue this.

i never purposefully do cardio on a bike because that would involve me biking for like 2 hours, but i just exhausted myself in like 9 minutes of running.