Is the sticky garbage?

I want to expand on this. I played sports in highschool (wrestling/football/crew) Best shape of my life. Never doing any standard lifts.

After HS I did a whole lot of "endurance" workouts. Really light weight. Lots of reps, lots of sets with little rest. I got the biggest I ever did in my life.

Recently, for the last year or so I decided to follow standard workout dogma. Squats, benches, 6-8 reps, 3-4 sets. I have made little to no progress. Some progress in strength but nothing I didn't have doing what I did before. Last week I started doing my light weight/lots of sets and I'm starting to actually get juicy.

So why are we still promoting the sticky? I don't know any of the science behind lifting really. But I know what I feel and see.

Attached: 1512924743903.jpg (1080x1349, 159K)

There are two types of muscle fibers, slow twitch and fast twitch. Slow-twitch fibers help muscles with endurance. I believe that because of those early years of endurance training you've got mostly Slow-twitch fibers.

Saying this, it doesn't mean that the sticky doesn't work since it didn't work for you.

you're just old now, faggot

The sticky is a relic of the "just do compounds bro, if it fits your macros bro, forget isolation/machines, watch out if you add another exercise you'll overtrain" era of fitness that got a bunch of nerds fat, disproportional and crying about genetics on forums.

>Is the sticky garbage?
No, but parts of it are outdated or broken.

So what you're saying is you followed a beginner protocol years after your beginner stage, and you're surprised you didn't make progress?

>presents anecdotal, unprovable and unreproducable "evidence"
>is the sticky garbage guys?

Attached: 1523780473034.png (500x666, 259K)

You sound like you're 30.

No. Last year I looked in the mirror and went "Jeez". I realized I'm not a teenager or in my early 20's so I decided "ok, lets start from scratch". So I followed the sticky to get my baseline. Alternated a bit throughout the year but all in all I saw little to no progress. I started to do what I did after highschool. Lots of endurance training and my muscles are actually getting "Bigger". My gut is actually going away. I didn't mean I started it last week, that was just an expression. It's been about a month. My lifts are improving dramatically.

I did wrestling. That's very explosive.

How am I supposed to prove I followed the sticky? Video evidence of me viewing it and then preforming the workouts at the gym?

Exactly. You did a protocol designed for beginners when you're not a beginner.

>How am I supposed to prove I followed the sticky?

well by definition you didn't follow the sticky since the workouts in the sticky are based on linear progression which you said you didn't do.

Even if I was a sack of potatoes for a year before that? I understand muscle memory exists but I can't imagine it kept up with me after nearly 2 years of little to no lifting or working out.
And if so, what would you recommend? I don't have the time to go to a wrestling or MMA gym again.

Give me your height, weight, current routine (in full), and how much weight you're lifting. I can figure out why you weren't making gains on the beginner routine.

No I said I did do that and saw little to no progress.

I was outlining what I did before the sticky and how recently I stopped doing the sticky and feel stronger, healthier etc. With noticeable results. Following the sticky I went up 1 pl8 throughout the year in my standard lifts. Basically my baseline as a highschooler but 1-2 plates below my early college days.

Yep, even after taking a couple years off. It has to do with the way your CNS responds to overload.

It seems you have a pretty good idea already of what's working for you, so keep it up.

>No I said I did do that and saw little to no progress.

You can't linearly progress without seeing progress.

whats your vertical?

ok. 6'3, 203 lbs. This past year with little variation I did
Bench (incline and flat bench) 4 sets of 8 reps.
Squats same.
Deadlifts same.
few miles running during the week.
And some basic things like pushups/pullups/curls/extensions on my off days.
Within that year I went from 185 to 235lb on my bench, 225 to 275 or so on squat and my deadlift has always been 2pl8. But I can max a dealift now of 365. 12 pullups, 50 pushups things like that. I'm not saying I didn't gain strength, so I suppose the sticky is not garbage, but my body has practically not changed at all. I just feel fatter.

>26

Attached: image_1442936774_mj_godupdates_marine_holds_dying_mans_hand_fb.jpg (1200x630, 93K)

I can dunk. Don't really know how much that is though. I think alot of it is my height and long arms.

>Bench (incline and flat bench) 4 sets of 8 reps.
>Squats same.
>Deadlifts same.

Not really a routine. Just a list of exercises. How many days a week did you do this?

No routine in the sticky tells you to just do bench, squats, and deads with some random stuff on off days.

That is certainly how I feel.

I'd like to add I want to transform my body into better shape than in highschool. My diet is pretty on point. No sugar, little carbs, lots of veggies/fish/meats.

I take back my original statement. I saw progress. But only in number value, not in physical appearance.

3-4 depending on my work schedule and chores. I stopped drinking last year as well if that makes any difference.

So if that doesn't constitute a routine, what should I do to get juicy and lean?

You're benching, squatting, and deadlifting 3 or 4 times a week? That's quite a bit. If you want to follow the sticky you should probably do one of the routines in the sticky:

Good beginner routines:

Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength (minimalist and a classic. This one has worked countless times already. Check the extensive wiki and the bodybuilding.com forum FAQ to answer all of your questions.)
Stronglifts (a variation on the above theme)
Reg Parks beginners 5x5 (a bit higher in volume, but a very well-rounded compound lifts program)

Good intermediate routines:

Bill Starr's Linear 5x5 (This is a very good, basic workout from a renowned strength coach. This is aimed at the intermediate lifter and is great to do once gains have stopped on Starting Strength.)
Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 (3 or 4 days/week) - this is a rather typical powerlifting program. You can find the answers to common 5/3/1 questions here.
Joe DeFranco's Built Like A Badass (3 days/week) - this is a bodybuilding program.
The Texas Method - excellent transition program for athletes coming from Starting Strength

this is best routine

day 1: back
lat pull down 4x8
v-bar pulldown 4x8
t-bar rows 4x8
dumbbell rows 4x12
wide grip t bar rows 4x8
machine t bar rows 4x8
day 2: arms
barbell curls 4x8
triceps pulldown 8x8 (2 variations)
seated dumbbell curls 4x8
close grip dumbbell press4x8
preacher curls 4x8
bench dips 3 sets to failure
cable machine curls 4x8
day 3: shoulders
OHP 5x5
Dumbbell shoulder press 4x8
machine shoulder press 5x5
barbell front raise 4x8
dumbbell front raise 3x12
iso lateral shoulder press 4x8
day 4: chest and traps
barbell shrugs 4x12
dumbbell shrugs 4x12
machine shrugs 4x12
incline dumbbell pres 4x8
decline dumbbell press 4x8
chest machine press 8x8 (2 variations)
cable flies 8x8 ( 2 variations)

OP in my early/mid 20s I started running and doing shitloads of push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups and looked juicy. Now in my mid 30s I get significantly decreased results from my training. Welcome to life.

Cool, just saved.

I guess the Texas method or the built like a badass is what I'm looking for. I really want to get back into my shape at 20. 8 pack, 1rpm deadlift of 465, just all around great shape. I'll start planning. Thanks fellas.

Attached: 1513455514099.jpg (692x595, 84K)

>Now in my mid 30s

Attached: vlcsnap-0001122.jpg (848x480, 44K)

Is roiding the only way user? I don't like this.

It's garbage, it was made by harsh and he was a gigantic broscience spouting faggot.
Following his advice is like following rippletits' diet advice

Your have body dysmorphia now. The "juicy" look was just a pump.

No, accept the reality of aging and focus on what really matters in life.

Well that fucking sucks. But I don't think it's dysmorphia as much as me being a fatass fatass.

yikes

whats wrong with it bud

You shouldn't tell newbies this. They will believe you, and that's not nice.

Family has fallen apart. Love of life left me for someone with more money. Having a hard time figuring that out user. Would just like to get back into great shape. I read alot, that keeps me occupied.

Without even really looking at it I can tell you having that kind of chest day after that kind of shoulder day is very dumb.

ive been doing it from day 1

let me guess, sub 6 foot, sub 200lb high schooler right?

im 6'3, 205lb 19 years old

you're only lying to yourself

ok gramps

Age has nothing to do with it. It's called negative carryover. Whatever progress you made has been diminished because of it.

I never worked out until I was 26. No sports or anything, ever. Is that why I can’t reach 1/2/3/4 even after two years of nonstop lifting?

lol

Sounds like he has shit genetics or didn't actually follow the advice in the sticky. I'm 31 and followed it closely and got lots o' gains.

Built like a badass is up your ally.

kys

the sticky is not garbage, most stuff is pretty good. also it doesn't say you should only do squats and bench. it recommends compounds + accessory, with some routines you can follow depending of your goals and current form.

>I'm 31

Attached: frail-1.jpg (866x1300, 109K)

>I'm 21

Attached: sore-loser.jpg (1024x682, 195K)

it has no volume

Because the volume is balanced with other factors that matter for a beginners. Then they're balanced differently for the intermediate routines.