Ending aging

Biomedical gerontologist Aubrey de Grey (PhD, University of Cambridge) believes that we have at least a 50% chance of achieving 'longevity escape velocity' (adding more than 1 year to our remaining lifespan each year) within the next 20 years. He has invested almost his entire net worth (less the value of his personal effects and primary residence) into a foundation working towards this goal, the SENS Research Foundation, based in Mountain View, California. (www.sens.org).

Do you believe in this project? Can it be achieved at all, on any timescale? And is it likely, in your view, that we will reach 'longevity escape velocity' in a ~20 year timeframe?

A brief introduction to his ideas and work: youtube.com/watch?v=x2o8LKdFtmY

Attached: HARDTalk Aubrey de Grey.jpg (800x447, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Schnatter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah but not for us.

this
it's all going to be bought up by billionaire assholes like zuckerfuck and bezos.

human beings do not deserve immortality.

The only billionaire who has so far contributed anything to SENS Research Foundation is libertarian investor Peter Thiel, who donated around $10 million about 8 years ago.

No, he's a crackpot.

Why not?

What do humans deserve?

What makes you say that?

Only people who deserve it must first give up their reproductive rights prove me wrong

This is already doable on a small scale

>regular cardio training to keep heart & cardiovascular system healthy up to old age
>avoiding cigarette smoke, alcohol and drugs
>eating unprocessed food, high in green vegetables
>getting a minimum of 8 hours of sleep a day
>lowering your day to day stress to a minimum (low stress career, living off of passive income in best case scenario, stay at home wife to take care of the kids, servants to take care of mundane activities like cleaning cooking etc.)

Do these and you will live longer than 90% of the population.

Do not do them and you will live to regret it.

Like most futurists he has no evidence for his claims.

But a 90th percentile lifespan is only a single-digit number of years longer than a 50th percentile lifespan. Dying at 85 instead of 78 is not a big deal - and either way, you're going to be in a much worse condition in your 70s and 80s than you were in your 40s, let alone the condition you were in at your peak in your teens and 20s.

Certainly you should do what you can now to maximise your chances of living long enough to have a radically extended lifespan - but lifestyle changes cannot extend your lifespan significantly beyond the current mean lifespan in the most industrialised countries.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What evidence would you be interested in? They've published a number of papers in the scientific literature on the individual strands of the SENS strategy, with meaningful progress achieved in the laboratory. They've also now span out six companies based on their research, with human clinical trials starting soon in those companies for various novel molecules.

If immortality were desirable, nature would have already created it via evolution. Death is the engine that drives evolution. Even though human beings are no longer guided by natural selection per se, we still need the older generations to die off before new ideas and scientific paradigms can bear fruit. Immortality would be the end of us.

>people who eat oranges don't deserve to eat apples prove me wrong
You didn't make any argument
Why is this shit so common now?

You don't understand evolution and should not try to teach others.

You don't have the understanding to realize both the depth and breadth of medical knowledge that has to be achieved to make even one strategy out of the 7 that SENS promotes a reality. It's science fiction. We can't even cure cancer.

> If immortality were desirable, nature would have already created it via evolution.

Well, it has. Just not in the human species. Various other species are 'biologically immortal' in the sense that they experience negligible senescence.

The whole point of SENS (Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence) is engineering the human to emulate those organisms.

> The fact that we haven't already cured cancer means that we won't be able to solve other hard problems, even given several decades to do so, regardless of whatever technical advances may occur during that period

Is this really your argument?

Why not?

Stop ageing.

>he thinks people older than 300 years old are not already roaming the earth

Bluepilled fools.

where are the proofs

a natural life span

Attached: 1519782244950.gif (1000x773, 327K)

Nice argument

A gif of some anime shit

Add fasting to your list

Starving yourself is idiotic. Shut up

Why is that all we deserve?

And why would it be any more unnatural to extend our lifespans with better medical technology than it has already been? After all, in 'nature', the lifespan of the human species is not ~80 years.

1,000 years ago, the average lifespan was about 20 years. 200 years ago, it was about 45 in the richest countries. We've already significantly expanded human lifespan - why should we stop now? And why would we not 'deserve' to go further?

Unironically Trump. No one who voted for him should be afforded the oppurtunity. Definitely not him himself.

Lemme guess. All he needs is enough money to live a short cushy life in order to find the answer?

Did you read the OP.....
>He has invested almost his entire net worth (less the value of his personal effects and primary residence) into a foundation working towards this goal, the SENS Research Foundation

fuck off leftypol

see

Attached: 1508299565276.png (645x729, 91K)

Read a book nigger and learn what autophagy is

Attached: 1506368008981.jpg (640x480, 81K)

why would anyone want to live forever, pretty selfish if you ask me.

>year 2100
>everyone is immortal
>population has reached 70 billion
>living in 4 bedroom house with all my family and extended family
>pajeets have invaded, shit in streets everywhere
>blacks are pillaging most houses, cant lock them up not enough space in prison
>asians have taken all high income jobs, since their economy never slowed down
>forced to live in poverty
>spend my days shitposting on Jow Forums, having to awkwardly alt tab every time i see something NSFW because my five nieces and nephews share same room
ahhh only another infinity years of this

Jesus you’re shortsighted and fucking dumb. Wouldn’t surprise me if you were 5’7” too

6'1
struck a nerve tyrone?

With your stupidity, I guess so, yeah. Elbow nerve though, since I’m 6’4”

No, humans won't achieve anything near that for another 1k years.
Technological development is already stalling hard, look at the current processor dilemma.
Software is still utter shit - almost everything is buggy and unstable.
Medicine is nowhere near solving some of the most known diseases, etc.

We aren't smart enough, we really aren't.

Speak for yourself.

>quantum computing

Idk, maybe the fact that we slaughtered 60+ BILLION land animals every year for taste pleasure, we slaughter and torture one another, we are innately selfish creatures, we polute and destroy any environment we come into contact with, etc... Human beings are the most deadly virus in the entire Galaxy. To us being immortal sounds good(selfish creatures), but to every single thing in the universe besides us it would be a nightmare.
Inb4 vegan fag blah blah blah

Attached: 8FFFE151-BCDB-4FD0-A7DD-B9FE3FE92085.jpg (182x276, 11K)

lol

Why should I care about the rest of the universe?

I don't care if some bacteria on a moon in another star system will 'lose' somehow if I live longer.

There are millions of African children mining cobalt and getting their limbs ripped off in mining machinery so I can buy phones, and I don't care about that. I sure as hell don't care about potential lifeforms elsewhere in the universe.

top kek

i can only imagine what the person who typed that out looks like

probably like a colossal faggot

you'd defo be the first to get probed for being a pussy

you are definitely a fag, and possibly a vegan

"humanity is inherently evil waaah waaah"

fuck your cheap bought cynicism, I know plenty of people who make the world a better place

then neck yourself we don't want you

Attached: shit.gif (244x238, 507K)

>achieve immortality
>water/energy/ecological/economical/geological crisis royally BTFO's humanity
Humans are arrogant enough to think they can become God. Take the luddite pill, side with Mother Nature and watch as our empire crumbles into the ocean over the next hundred years.

Attached: 2018-04-15 10.23.52.jpg (191x191, 27K)

HOW I GET HAIRLINE LIKE HIM

Attached: 1442157170264.png (1140x798, 45K)

Donate to end ageing and maybe he'll tell you. www.sens.org

If you want to slow aging you need to stop triggering Growth hormone all the time. Tha means lower the glucose spikes as much as possible. Fat is the most optimal food.
The Meme Okinawa diet is actually really high in pork fat, they even have a special type of pigs that have high cholesterol levels so it means more fat. They are living 100 and over

But ageing even a bit is not acceptable. I'm 22 and the thought of ending up like a 40-year-old horrifies me. Living to over 100 like today's centenarians would be torture.

I want to live as long as possible, but only (at a minimum) in the physical condition of a healthy 20-something.

> take the luddite pill

never

And papa john invested all his money into his pizza joint when he first started

Rip papa john, gone but never forgetti

Papa John was a real person? I always thought him as some mythological being like Santa Claus, Krishna etc.

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 153K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Schnatter

>Do you believe in this project?
No
>Can it be achieved at all, on any timescale?
Probably for people who aren't genetically predisposed to illness and mental degeneration yeah
>And is it likely, in your view, that we will reach 'longevity escape velocity' in a ~20 year timeframe?
No. And I'd rather we didn't. Would far rather people invested their money into shit like combatting drug resistant disease etc

AI soon.

This is actually going to be what makes the difference. If we get AI, we're going to see an explosion of progress in medicine - and everything points to real AI being achieved around the year 2030. If and when it happens, it's going to completely revolutionize our understanding of the human body and our ability to manipulate it.

Implying somebody wont kill benzos if it looks like his gonna get immortality
[spoiler]Its me, I truly despise the man[/spoiler]

He's an old guy...

what did Bezos do to you?

I don't care, i no longer fear death.
We are very close to curing cancer, in fact there's an experimental treatment that works 100%, don't as for source, didn't save.
What a fucking retard.
What a fucking retard.

> t. misanthrope

>there's an experimental treatment that works 100%, don't as for source, didn't save.
Source or it didn't happen

Why cling so much to this earthly realm? Life can only exist with death. It's the way of our existence.

Why should it be the way of our existence forever?

Dying of cholera at 23 was part of our way of existence until we decided that it probably wasn't in our best interests to continue doing that.

It's only logical and natural that we continue to decide for ourselves the terms on which we live and die, and eliminating deaths from ageing is just the next step.

We've already decided not to die from infectious diseases, and we've done an extremely good job of preventing that in the most advanced countries.

Not dying from the progressive, chronic conditions caused by ageing is just a natural progression of the path we're already on.

I love it when buttmad virgins call humanity a virus, i hope only for your sake that this is bait

Americans: the only people who think they could possibly live forever while also worshiping a fast food mascot as some form of deity.

Please hurry, my body is dying

nyehh who caaarress. don worry boutit

i like your attitude

There are other ways to die in spite of ageing.

Yeah, chew on that big guy. Bazoinga

Sure, there wouldnt be wars or anything at all before that point...

>Achieve immortality
>Become lobster-human
>endless bulk until my flesh is torn apart

[dumbfounded Jordan Peterson.jpg]

> if immortality were desirable nature would have already created it via evolution
> evolution stems from desire
> what is reproduction and why do we copy our genetic material to our offspring

Are you retarded?

>Do these and you will live longer than 90% of the population.
Except for the stress part, 100y+ people don't do any of that.

brainlets btfo

How the fuck is this the same at all? It won't slow cell aging, you're still going to get cancer and die

De Grey estimates that the SENS Research Foundation requires approximately $40m in annual funding to maximise the pace of the research - the limiting factor at that point being the inherent difficulty of the science.

The Foundation currently has approximately $5m in annual funding, and De Grey estimates that the speed of progress is currently only about a third of what it would be at $40m/year.

holy fuck you're retarded
>muh nature inteded
nature didn't intend shit, evolution isn't "part of some bigger plan". Everything that happens on earth is natural, including everything humans do. Evolution is just change over-time, nothing else

nuclear holocaust

Whatever he has figured out it’s working because he’s over 70 years old

The tribe would never allow it

>>getting a minimum of 8 hours of sleep a day
J U S T
U
S
T

he's actually 160

That's not the human race, that's just what Canada deserves

Not interested in living a long time if my body's gonna keep degrading with age, to be honest. Let me live 50 years in peak physical condition of a 25-30 year old and I'll be happy.

That's the whole point of SENS - keeping the body structurally the same as it is in early adulthood over an indefinite time period.

The more we progress the more we degenerate, we're not some liquid that takes the shape of whatever you pour it in.

I agree, no reason why you being almost immortal means you can keep populating all around. Like everything else, it should have a cost.