Is squatting too low really a problem?

I always thought the lower you squat, the more gains you get from squatting. But Alan Thrall came out with a video about how he had to fix his squat because he was going too low.

Thoughts?

Vid:

youtube.com/watch?v=NQD4Y_R4mOo

Attached: 18-024537-proper_squat_depth.jpg (1080x540, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

squatuniversity.com/2016/01/22/debunking-squat-myths-are-deep-squats-bad-for-the-knees/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>not doing clarence kennedy asthetic squat

Attached: clarence-kennedy-260kg-pause-squ.jpg (1280x720, 63K)

Yes it's possible to go too low i.e sacrificing tightness for depth. also if you want to squat as much weight as possible going deeper than parallel will limit you a little

Alan Thrall is a complete muppet, and very autistic who thinks he is hot shit but can lift the weights he preaches.

ATG is very safe assuming you do it correctly (knees following feet upon getting down into the hole and getting back up), and squatting right down and putting the weight onto your heels and poushing up with your heels.

The weight ends up being distributed on your quads/thighs/ and hamstrings if done correctly.

I'm a big firm believer of ATG, and in the past 4 and a half years i never once squat just parallel or slightly below.

Attached: wojak.jpg (838x959, 127K)

It’s probably a problem if your goal is to move as much weight as possible. From what I understand is that ATG squats are still best for mobility and such and such.

>also if you want to squat as much weight as possible going deeper than parallel will limit you a little

This is why "power lifting" is a complete joke, When i go ATG i and want to get a new PR, i work my way up, and do the appropriate volume. I'm not a clown that tries to ego lift and squat as much weight as he can with garbage form (like most power lifters).

Olympic lifters regularly squat 200+ by themselves with no spotters.

Attached: 2132.jpg (1920x1080, 230K)

With high bar squats you can't go too low. He's doing low bar squats

>With high bar squats you can't go too low.

why you talk out your fucking ass? i high-bar squat and hit ATG.

its fine...but the dude in the pic has shit form.

what the fuck is your point nigger

>what the fuck is your point nigger

My point is you are a fucking retarded cunt, you can squat high-bar and hit ATG all you fucking want, and safely. Don't post bullshit like it's facts because of your own retarded limitations because you have a garbage weak back and horrible flexibility.

Attached: bdae364fa14fa8f50f1e789e2037d4b5.jpg (360x450, 28K)

you are one serious fucking moron. re-read his post

I said you can't go too low with high bar meaning ATG is not TOO LOW

it's the question in the op you autist

is this what ATG high-bar does to people? Should I stop doing them

It don't matter
I think atg is useless because bigger weight > depth for back squats since it's a general strength move and not a leg isolation where you're supposed to feel the muscle or whatever.

I wrestle and being used to handling heavier weight is way more important for me than going deep. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out equipped 9653564 ply squatting is better for "general athleticism" since your body gets used to pushing even heavier shit, and not folding under it.

oh yeah, my bad.

Attached: d6101.jpg (700x525, 116K)

>is this what ATG high-bar does to people? Should I stop doing them
Kek

My squats pretty fucked due to depth, I've deloaded to 1pl8lmao and still feel it in my lower back. Not a pain, but the muscles working. Watched a load of Ben Pollack videos on it as well, any advice guys?

Attached: squatdepth.gif (320x568, 1.65M)

Jesus you're retarded. Please repeat 5th grade English

ATG high bar squats are absolutely fine to do unless:
your lower back is rounded
your knees go beyond your feet like in

Thrall was trained by Austin Baraki. I take what he says very seriously.

lol

>your knees go beyond your feet
meme

except the pic of the guy squatting is a perfect example on HOW to ATG, and his knees do not go beyond his feet

you fucking retard

>Using a belt
>Not bracing properly
>Clearly have a very weak lower and upper back, hence why you cant even keep your spine neutral
>Not sticking chest out
>Not activating your lats
>Knees not traveling in the same position as feet

don't blame atg for your garbage form.

Also it looks as if the retard is taking in a breath as he descends, what a fucking bellend.

Upper back is my strongest part probably. Lifts are 50/70/110/125 for 5, in kilos so does my lower back not seem in proportion? I'm doing pendlays with 70 as well.

When I brace well my mind can't seem to figure out how to descend, I know that's so fucking retarded but the war my core feels the mind is just like right we're not moving down.

If your upper back was strong, your upper wouldn't be bending forward that much like you are about to do a good fucking morning.

>When I brace well my mind can't seem to figure out how to descend

You do know bracing and taking it air as you are getting into the hole is fucking STUPID? you will slip a disc with heavy weights since you aren't bracing your core properly and thus protecting your spine.

Damn dude... work on your form, go lighter, and do a lot more volume / sets / reps.

Attached: 1524114644455.jpg (600x800, 112K)

Not a meme. What's more a meme is needing to go completely and totally atg to activate literally anything in your legs. I don't care if you're Clar(k)ence Ken(t)nedy himself, you don't need completely fold your ass onto your calves to activate your glutes, hamstrings, quads, hip flexors, back, or anything else you use in a squat.

It's ego lifting, except instead of weight it's literally form over function. As long as you pass the parallel point and you feel complete activation of your legs, you don't need to go any deeper. In fact, going completely and entirely atg and hold it there, then explode up, you're getting less out of your workout by not activating both your fast and slow twitch muscles to their fullest extent.

Most importantly, your body is different from everyone else's, so how far low you have to squat to engage your body enough to build strength or size is going to be slightly different than people with different proportions. But nobody on this planet squats 600lbs with intentions to build muscle or for general health. That's a powerlifting thing.

If anyone can show me any proof that traveling to atg is required and actually better for building muscle, strength, or anything else that isn't directly linked to powerlifting or olympic lifting, please be my guest. Otherwise, get fucked.

>If anyone can show me any proof that traveling to atg is required and actually better for building muscle, strength, or anything else that isn't directly linked to powerlifting or olympic lifting, please be my guest. Otherwise, get fucked.

You do know Olympic lifters for one. Squat ATG because it takes more stress off your knees.... right? Parallel or just below parallel puts a lot of stress onto the knees.

Yeah I've corrected that. I was running starting strength/ still am, I've deloaded to 60 and am increasing 10kg every workout back up to 110kg, sticking at 3x5. Should I slowdown and only increase 5kg?

Bullshit, front squats can fuck your knees up significantly more than a high/lowbar back squat ever will.

>bb-bbbullshit

Not even going to bother arguing or proving a dimwit like yourself right, i want you to fuck up your knees on purpose ;)

By the way retard, parallel squats and above ALWAYS cause an increase in sheer forces (bones sliding over each other). They also place more stress on the MCL and medial menisci.

Attached: 293f503a8dd8be0043543c22e199896c.jpg (1182x841, 294K)

First time I (not that guy) hear that. Don't oly lifters squat atg because the lower they go the lower they catch the clean the lower they have to pull the barbell the heavier it can be?

Biggest reason is knee health, you have to remember, these guys regularly squat 200kg+ on the daily.

Here is also a good article to read.

squatuniversity.com/2016/01/22/debunking-squat-myths-are-deep-squats-bad-for-the-knees/

>I can't post facts and I don't know what I'm talking about
The post.

Sure, be my guest. Fuck your knees up due to your stupidity :)

>Olympic lifters for one. Squat ATG because it takes more stress off your knees
Wow, just wow, this is the current Jow Forumsness community guys.

Attached: Connors.jpg (320x240, 46K)

Jfc

>parallel squats and above ALWAYS cause an increase in sheer forces
>was talking about going below parallel in the post you replied to
Bait.

>Parallel or just below parallel puts a lot of stress onto the knees.

Attached: What the fuck.jpg (421x424, 42K)

Continue to squat parallel, please ;)

>Being so dumb you don't understand what just below parallel means
>Thinking it correlates with ATG or close in anyway shape or form.

Feels good to put all this garbage bro-science to rest.

Retards thinking your knees will blow out from going parallel itt

>Parallel or just below parallel puts a lot of stress onto the knees.
That's enough Jow Forums for tonight.

I've came to realize two things;
>People on Jow Forums know nothing and only spout what they hear others spout

this thread is a good example.

.t used to squat parallel until i got severe knee pains

In what universe is it required to go atg or your knees get fucked? Am I being memed? You ever done Bulgarian split squats or even lunges for that matter with any formidable weight?

Post squats, no way you aren't fucking up your form in 500 different ways.

Attached: Brad Pitt laughing.jpg (480x318, 17K)

>.t used to squat with awful form until i got severe knee pains
Ftfy

I posted one article in here to someone of legitimacy, i won't post anymore or help anyone in here at all. Nor will i explain further on the damage done with parallel squats, and the newtons your quads and patella receive squatting incorrectly.

I'll let you guys keep posting falsified information, and garbage you heard other retards on here spew.

Sure , if you say so ;)

Attached: Blank_179b13_6456385.jpg (1200x638, 176K)

I'll bet $50 that you don't even lift.

Righto!

I do lift, but don't worry friend. Keep squatting to parallel and fucking up your knees. I'll be walking with no knee pain at 65 because I can go atg ;)

Please, I want you to fail, it's better this way. We need to thin the gene pool.

Attached: IMG_20180420_220515_728.jpg (1564x1564, 464K)

>Getting so angry you now pretend to be me out of sheer anger

Nice!

Oh well that explains it.

Attached: laughing at you.jpg (507x338, 39K)

Bunch of dyels talking about squats and squat mechanics. Not one video of their squats.

L O L
O
L

Attached: 1523755279542.jpg (350x284, 80K)

Please be bait. Jesus Christ I should have never opened this thread....

It just says atg isn't bad for you.

literally fits the thread title.

It called butt winking and he is sort of right he just really bad at explaining his problem. Plus hes a fucking goofball

You can absolutely squat too deep for your current capabilities. For some people the flexibility to properly ATG will take years to develop, and some people can simply never do it safely. Pic in OP is an example of someone who can't do it properly yet, his feet are caving in, which will cause problems.

Personally I've also had to cut depth becasue I was going very deep and my hips couldn't handle that over time. I'm still comfortably below parallel though. Anyone that says everyone should ATG all the time should stfu forever.

5''1

Attached: 5db364b93a95c526c0df4cbe09905e7c.png (100x80, 14K)

why would you squat parallel or even lower, are you niggers retarded?

>not going full atg with a pause with 300kg
Never gonna make it.

It all depends on your anatomy. If you squat deep without losing out on tightness, then go ahead, but most people can't.

6' height.
What the fuck even is 5"1?