Ending ageing by 2040 with Dr. Aubrey de Grey

Biomedical gerontologist Aubrey de Grey (PhD, University of Cambridge) believes that we have at least a 50% chance of achieving 'longevity escape velocity' (adding more than 1 year to our remaining lifespan each year) within the next 20 years. He has invested almost his entire net worth (less the value of his personal effects and primary residence) into a foundation working towards this goal, the SENS Research Foundation, based in Mountain View, California. (www.sens.org).

De Grey estimates that the SENS Research Foundation requires approximately $40m in annual funding to maximise the pace of the research - the limiting factor at that point being the inherent difficulty of the science.

The Foundation currently has approximately $5m in annual funding, and De Grey estimates that the speed of progress is currently only about a third of what it would be at $40m/year.

Do you believe in this project? Can it be achieved at all, on any timescale? And is it likely, in your view, that we will reach 'longevity escape velocity' in a ~20 year timeframe?

A brief introduction to his ideas and work: youtube.com/watch?v=x2o8LKdFtmY

Read his PhD manuscript here: sens.org/files/pdf/MiFRA-06.pdf

See here for his academic credentials: sens.org/sites/srf.org/files/AdG-CV.doc

And see here for details of the members of the Scientific Advisory Board of the SENS Research Foundation: sens.org/about/leadership/research-advisory-board

Here’s a recent video with BBC News: bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-43402894/aubrey-de-grey-treating-ageing-as-a-curable-disease

Aubrey solves decades-old ‘unsolvable’ math problems for fun in his spare time: sciencemag.org/news/2018/04/amateur-mathematician-cracks-decades-old-math-problem, quantamagazine.org/decades-old-graph-problem-yields-to-amateur-mathematician-20180417/

Skeptical? See Aubrey interviewed on BBC HARDTalk: youtube.com/watch?v=BsR7L5nnmFY

Attached: HARDTalk Aubrey de Grey.jpg (800x447, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sens.org/research/publications
sens.org/research/introduction-to-sens-research
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Claims to be close to reversing aging
>We still don't understand how male-pattern baldness works

FUCKKKKKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUU

>Aubrey de Grey

Dude sounds like a wizard that would hang out with the knights of the round table.

What are you talking about? We have a very good understanding of MPB, and indeed we've basically cured it.

See here for details

Said that to my fucking head you fucking faggot

Quick rundown on him

-The wizard Merlin is said to have quietly acknowledged him
-In contact with mid-sea marine life
-Possesses astrological-like fortune abilities
-Controls his laboratory with an aluminum but fair fist
-Owns condos in emerging areas of Playa Vista California.
-Direct descendant of the guy who made Jesus' sandals
-Will bankroll the first Starbucks on Mars (Greybrew will be be the first vente sized cup)
-Owns a sound studio where Gattaca was filmed
-First designer babies will in all likelihood shit in diapers designed by him
-said to have a near perfect SAT score, such intelligence on Earth has only existed within asian families that drowned at least two daughters
-Ancient Mormon scriptures tell of an angel who will descend upon Earth and will bring an era of great weekend sales.
-owns a battlebot team utilizing a flamethrower, the best battlebot weapon.
- de Grey is in regular communication with the actor playing the co star in the hit new series Lucifer.
-learned broken Italian from one season of the Sopranos
-Nation states entrust their gold reserves with the ancient one.
-like 800ish years old.

Even if we improve ageing by that much, the brain has an 'expiry date', so good luck spending another 20 years demented.

Just have more money, guy

Ending ageing necessarily involves ending the ageing of the brain. Preserving the youthful structure and function of the brain is absolutely part of the SENS approach.

>the brain has an 'expiry date'
What is it out of curiosity? I do know keeping your brain active through cross-word puzzles and the like is important for old age but that's about it

True, but you don't want to be playing 'catch-up' is what I'm saying.

Varies based on genetics and lifestyle. They have extrapolated it to be at least a century (maybe 120 years) if I remember correctly.

>family either dies of cancer in their 50s or lives comfortably into their 90s
>got cancer
Fuuuuuck.

SENS has an anti-cancer strategy, oncoSENS

he doesn't even talk about anything in his 'lectures" lmao

Several hundred of his appearances are available on youtube; some are more technical than others, but most are for a general audience, so going into the nuts and bolts of the biology in front of an audience which didn't know what a mitochondria is would be a bit useless.

If you want technical details, you should see Aubrey's writing and the research papers published by SENS in peer-reviewed journals.

Visit www.sens.org for details.

SENS research papers can be found here

sens.org/research/publications

Quick rundown on the SENS approach to defeating ageing within our lifetimes sens.org/research/introduction-to-sens-research

No fucking way dude lol

Lmao

Good luck friendly wizard
I wish you the best, but am skeptical about your chances

>Treatment only affordable by the rich so that they continue their happy lives of shitting on the masses

Are you ready for Harvey Weinstein to make a come back at the youthful age of 111?

Why would it only be affordable by the rich?

Our current paradigm is massively expensive (in terms of actual healthcare spending and lost productivity), and the top 20% of income earners are basically the only people really paying for that.

Medicare and Medicaid alone run to about $1.2 trillion annually, and the vast majority of the federal income taxes paid in the US are paid by the top 20% of income earners. The old and sick are a huge burden on the wealthy.

The wealthy have a huge incentive to democratize these therapies because it eliminates a massive cost burden on them (that will only grow over time if these therapies are not developed and widely adopted). It's in their own rational self-interest to do this.

>-Direct descendant of the guy who made Jesus' sandals

Lmfao

>Can it be achieved at all, on any timescale?
No.

Why not?

If you actually think such a luxurious treatment is going to made readily available and affordable to the working class people then you’re high

Expect this guy to "disappear" soon.

I don't know why you think this will be more expensive than what we have today, which is extremely expensive medicine that doesn't work.

This is one of the biggest cost-saving exercises in history.

Well he's been saying this stuff for 20 years and working on it quite seriously for about 15 years, and is now quite close to getting into the clinic. They plan to reach clinical trials by 2021 for each of the seven SENS strategies, and already five start-up companies have been created based on SENS research.

>Cost saving
>Increasing lifespan and the health problems that come with such treatment

You’re still ageing, just at a slower rate. When you hit 60 Your ailments will burden you twice as long, requiring more medical treatment

This is a fundamental misunderstanding. The goal of SENS is not to 'slow' ageing; it's to repair the periodically damage associated with it, while allowing it to accumulate at the normal rate.

If you repair the damage frequently enough, it doesn't matter that damage continues to accumulate after treatment - you just repair it again before it reaches a pathogenic level, and continuously repair the damage to keep it before it reaches the pathogenic threshold - just like you keep repairing a car to ensure that it continues working, regardless of the fact that normal operation of a car causes damage to accumulate to the various moving parts of it.

We have cars that still run today that are 100 years old, despite the fact that they were only designed to tolerate about 10 years of damage - they still work because we've done a very good job of continuously repairing them, and we can keep them running for another 100, 200 or 1,000 years as long as we keep repairing them.

The same is fundamentally true of humans and other complex biological machines. It's just a different level of complexity.

>ancient Mormon sculptures

Attached: 1368381118624.jpg (456x337, 136K)

Dated 1978, I should add.

holy shit pewdiepie looks so old now

You mean Hugh Jackman

>make people live forever
>they eat, shit, fuck indefinitely
>somehow that reduces costs

>stop aging
>but immense wealthy inequality and political instability still exists

what could go wrong in a world full of even more resentful normies. thank god this man is keeping soros alive while half the US makes less than $18/hour and will die broke and retarded and earlier than oligarchs now

Attached: original red was best.png (600x592, 470K)

You would think that the mega rich would be funding this. After all what good is $700billion if you're gonna die.

But mortality succeeds any tyrants, would be a danger to have some people.

exercise(mostly cardio) is the only proven way to stop brain structures atrophy.
doing crossword just makes you better at crossword

This dude his such a chad.

Pic related.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 12.01.15.png (1632x1692, 1.46M)

yeah better die instead of trying to solve these problems
fucking brainlets i swear

exactly, Hugh Jackman is pewdiepie

I never said that. I'm just saying it's not really useful to the average person, because until there's a world where living to 100+ years old is worth it, this whole thing is purely academic for anyone but the rich. for the average person, society effectively throws you in the trash after retirement age which is why so many old people are lonely/suicidal/impoverished, so why should such people care about living longer in such a state? even if their bodies are maintained, the social ramifications of this reach much further than just being old and frail. but Jow Forums is filled with 20 year olds who can't fathom such things

I despise all weavers of the black arts

Attached: med_1452737239_image.jpg (640x480, 61K)

Old people are less lonely and sad than the young.

This is awesome

Badass

If anyone knows what kind of degree will help me get a job to work for this guy. I like discount on living longer

He didn't really solve the problem. He just provided a stronger lower-bound on the chromatic number which is not as impressive as it sounds.

Certainly no simple layman in math could do it but it's not as grand as it sounds: "decate old math problem" - there's tons of them.

>tfw i forgot i was on Jow Forums, the board with the highest average iq in the world
what an imbecile aubrey is, amirite

>>>tfw i forgot i was on Jow Forums, the board with the highest average iq in the world
actually /lit/ has the highest average iq, then Jow Forums, /sci/, and then Jow Forums. Jow Forums has the lowest
>what an imbecile aubrey is, amirite
let's see you commit sudoku then tough guy

>Jow Forums
Are you retarded?

That's not the point you freak

>>Jow Forums
>Are you retarded?
yes but it's a side-effect of the telomerase inhibitor i'm on that was developed by de grey himself

Attached: image.jpg (430x492, 61K)