Martial arts etc

Any of you cunts train any Martial arts regularly? I'm considering joining the local boxing gym for the cardio and friend gains.
How do you go about programing a workout schedule around doing martial arts 1-2 days a week?

Attached: 76242940_l.jpg (720x720, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gm0SyEqc7ns
youtube.com/watch?v=cx4gncKvlMM
sbnation.com/2016/8/10/12424182/2016-olympics-rio-boxing-pro-amateur
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ok Jow Forums let's settle this once and for all:
Boxing, judo, or BJJ?

>boxing
most practical, but will cardio kill gains? and what about brain damage

>judo
pretty cool slamming people, but kinda nerdy and don't know if i'll meet as chill people

>BJJ
expensive and homo, but I'd get along with stoner bros

what do I pick?

Is boxing good enough for self defence?

do you think I really would get friend gains?

not a boxer myself (yet?) but even the actual trained boxer I know tells me that it really only teaches you how to win a boxing match. You can't strike people with your fists IRL or expect them to follow "rules" in a streetfight

Going to go for my first kickboxing class tonight :)

dont get caught up in particular styles, be more focused on finding an instructor you mesh with that has a pedigree of some sort.

.t martial arts instructor.

Most places will let you try a few classes for free. Try them all out and see which one you like. Training in any of them will undoubtedly give you a leg up over someone who is untrained in a physical altercation. BJJ for me.

Guys that spend all their time in a boxing gym and never actually striking tend to punch with open hands and their thumb out. Boxing is great, but definitely suppliment it with something that doesn't involve a pound of leather on each hand.

So perhaps I should start with boxing and later on move over to either MMA or thaiboxing? which are the other alternatives where I live.

research instructors first imo.

Definitely research local instructors. No martial art is harder to learn than unlearning bad habits from the easiest martial art.

5th month of muay thai and sucking ass at it
9 months bjj and coach told me sign up for blue belt exam in 2 weeks. i know its "just" a blue belt in the big scheme of things but what should i know?

>programming
well i lift Mon Wed Fri and train bjj muay thai (one hour each ideally) Sun Tue Thurs
and im still making steady strength gains. you could do a Heavy Lower Heavy Upper Volume Lower Volume Upper for 4 tomes a week, or texas methodnwith a bodybuilding day

Checked

I do Judo and TKD, and at least by comparison, Judo isn't really that nerdy at all. Most of the geeky weeb types don't get past white belt. My dojo is mostly former wrestlers and Russians

Eh, so long as you get your right, roll, run down pretty well, sure.
Cardio and avoidance are your best bets, but a solid right to the chin and getting the fuck out work well if shit looks ready to hit the fan.
--t. am. boxer

>in after 2dedly no rules faggotry
Reminder that having solid basics doesnt prevent you doing low percentage eye poke faggotry but it does give you something reliable to fall back on when low percentage eye poke faggotry inevitably fails

>9 months
>blue belt

Do you have a wrestling background? That is very quick to receive a blue belt

What do you mean settle it once and for all? Do all of them you idiot

even amateur fighters especially boxers get brain damage.
Judo and BJJ gives you nasty ass scrapes and rip up your fingers. do NOT do these if you have acne.
Yes, 1 years boxing and you will destroy any random untrained drunk unless he is 2x your size

>9 months
>blue belt

Shitty gym senpai

Also, checked

I do not but coach told me to apply for the test and im a 4 stripe white belt. i was going to wait another year desu
team nogueira shitty or not i respect the coaches/professors

cumming in my pants rn

> do NOT do these if you have acne
Fucking this
>roll with some teenager with bad acne
>he gets blood all over my white gi

Attached: 1523940599698.webm (712x400, 2.11M)

As long as you don't do any meme martial arts(kenpo, wing chun, taekwondo) you'll be fine.
>will cardio kill gains
not if you eat properly and do some strength training as well (most boxing gyms have dumbells and barbells).
BJJ is not as gay as you may think. But mount position is extremely uncomfortable the first couple of weeks.

Attached: 1524637335673.jpg (2546x3295, 658K)

You should do all three, you fucking nut. What you listed is actually a pretty good mix for MMA purposes.

I would wait a year. What happens when you roll with the blue belts right now? Waiting another 8-12 months would be good

why not all of them, just go to a mma gym.

ill give it a wack, got nothing to lose, insight to gain, whats the downside?

Depends if 9 months to a year is average then its a shitty gym, but some outliers can do it in that amount of time.

How the fuck is boxing most practical, you think a street fight is going to stop if you fall on the ground or get bear hugged?

Well, distancing and timing is still pretty useful. But I'd say Boxing with a smattering of something like Judo would probably handle the lion's share of most self defense situations.

I started bjj again recently. Nogi. Couldn't remember why I ever quit, this shit is so fun.
Now I remember. I have at least 2, I think 3 large moles on my back, and they are all ripped half off now. Gonna see my GP, hopefully get sent to a dermatologist and get them removed. Which means I'll have to take a few weeks off, hooray...

Kek

Judo is the most fun you can have with a martial art if you don’t like getting hurt. I reccomend pairing it with bjj, so you can have some “real” fighting worked in (judo will rarely be practical in a real fight/self defense by its self). If you want to do mma you HAVE to learn a striking art, preferably boxing or Muay Thai.

>friendly reminder that Ronda Rousey was the first female from the USA to earn a medal in the olympics for judo
>watch some of her mma highlights you see she dominates the standing game with huge judo throws that ((they)) tell you is useless in ufc

Attached: 340B1F22-724B-40D4-B608-847A151A85DA.jpg (490x396, 44K)

And if you actually knew wtf you were talking about you would also notice that she got fucked up by by strikers twice then quit like a bitch

On my 3rd day of BJJ, seems pretty rad desu

Well, her striking was shit while she believed it was good, which resulted in the mess we saw.

Oh, and she had a horrible striking coach who's lost his license for being a horrible coach by now.

I've trained Muay Thai and dutch style kickboxing since I was 15

See a boxing coach once a week. You will learn a lot of garbage at group boxing classes. A regular 1 on 1 session fixes all the goofy stuff you will pick up at the former. Make sure the coach has a real fight record and isn't some phony.

I can break a man's nose with one jab. With one right cross I can send a man to sleep. Boxing is hugely successful in mma. Miocic's success is primarily based on his boxing game.

But one on one teaching is so expensive is it really worth it?

At least try it out once.

>will cardio kill gains
cardio will kill unnecessary ballooned up gains.
Boxing training will put your body in the most efficient shape possible.
Not for bodybuilders who just want to be "huge".

And?
I can punch harder and faster than any self proclaimed street brawler out there.
My legs are faster and they will have a hard time even hitting me once.
Plus I don't have to stick to boxing rules either, that's what "muh REAL fight" faggots tend to forget.

how do i get swole like chloe?

Just don't take BJJ if you're a little pussy who's gonna be worried about being homo. Do some bitch shit like Tae Kwon do.

You get what you pay for.

>How do you go about programing a workout schedule around doing martial arts 1-2 days a week?
Stop lifting, do 3 rounds (~10 min) of every exercise, spar only 2x a week at most and do a fuckload of shadowboxing.

That's it for striking.

For wrestling, get a coach and a partner and start to wrestle. Do grip work and a fuckton of high rep BWE.

That's it fro grappling.

Detaiuls differ by style (Karate does Kata instead of shadowboxing and doesn't have as many different bags as boxing, for example), but overall, this is what you do. Everywhere.

If you spar more than 2x a week, change schools.

>Plus I don't have to stick to boxing rules either, that's what "muh REAL fight" faggots tend to forget.
You fight like you train. Don't kid yourself.

Uh, why the fuck is sparring more then twice a week bad? It's the best part

not him but you need to drill good form into your body first if you spar often you're most likely to not apply the shit you learned during your training sessions since you'll resort to things that work for you and if you're a beginner you won't get much

maybe when you're an intermediatte or have been doing it a while you can get away with it since you have most of the form and application is what mostly important at that point but if you're just starting it's best to spar less often

Not him.
Because you will hurt yourself when sparring more frequently.
The goal is to get in shape for actual fights, not wear yourself out with practice.
Spar twice a week HARD,
or multiple times easy, which is less benificial if you ask me.

And you're 15 and a half now?

Because you will get hurt. And you are one of those retarded kids who always spar hard, so 2x at most is what it is (don't worry, most Americans are) and that is already pushing it for hard sparring.

Your GP can't remove them? He did for me, no need to wait and go elsewhere

yes it is just don't be a retard and forget to train your bare knuckles you can start with punching the bag with 10 - 20% force and making sure the correct part of the knuckles hit the bag first or else you'll sprain your wrist and have to start over this is a very slow process and eventually after a few months you'll be able to punch with 50 - 70% power and with proper accuracy so that you don't fuck up your hand but make sure the right part of the knuckles hit
focus on jabs and straights people usually fuck their wrists and fingers up from uppercuts and hooks

your knuckles won't look pretty afterwards though since you'll grow callouses and have some yellowish colors on them from the damage you accumulated overtime

Because if you're starting out they're probably just using you as bait for more seasoned fighters. Once a week is enough to spar if you haven't boxed for more than a year. You spar and then evaluate.

It seems that so often people at the top of their sport have fucking terrible coaches. I don't get it

Sparring is for learning. If you make a fight out of it, you won't learn anything.
The Thais often do not spar at all, and if they do, it's basically very relaxed slapfighting.

boxing is great, boxing and wrestling is the best mix for self defense, maybe learn a bit how to defend yourself against kicks, all you will ever need in a self defense situation
have some high test

Attached: 1524869606555.jpg (1545x1329, 417K)

>You can't strike people with your fists IRL
wat

That's right - like in a street fight you want to avoid dips and weaving like you do in boxing because you open yourself up to kicks. Bas Rutten discusses tactics for street fighting like using open palm strikes and using the top of your skull as a battering ram to break the hands of any guy who tries to punch you in the face bare knuckle:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gm0SyEqc7ns

One of the big factors most people miss is judo and MMA fights are done on mats/ring. If you change that to hard concrete, judo becomes way more lethal since you're literally slamming people's heads into the ground

Fuck you fags convinced me, gonna sign up to an MMA gym close to me that's run by an ex Olympian judo player who had a few MMA fights too.

Unless you’re extremely talented, or have a pretty good athletic background your gym is shit giving you a bluebelt after 9months.

nah, 20

I can choke out a man in seconds and break their knees before they know it that doesn’t mean that’s the way it will go in a street fight. Also you will break your hands hitting bare knuckled lmao

Do not bother with Boxing unless you’re taller than 6’0.
I’m 6’2 and all the manlets were pretty much punching bags for me because I have some long ass arms.
I had a taller spar partner a couple of times(6’6) and fighting against him was a literal nightmare.
If you’re a manlet you’re better off with judo/bjj. We boxed in a Judo gym and all the best judo guys were manlets.
Careful with your ears tho.

Attached: 2DBAB6B4-33EB-414A-92AD-D00E895F044A.jpg (378x312, 65K)

Why do these threads always attract mouthbreathers who think being actually trained is useless or even harmful in a real life situation?

>It seems that so often people at the top of their sport have fucking terrible coaches. I don't get it
Many "coaches" are steroid dealers.

>If you change that to hard concrete, judo becomes way more lethal since you're literally slamming people's heads into the ground
It becomes lethal to yourself, you mean.

any manlet boxers worth their salt should know to get in close to take the power out of your extra arm length

Because untrained people don't have a clue what fighting actually entails.
They haven't been proven how weak they actually are, so they just assume that they can fight on the basis of watching anime and imagining stuff in their heads.
I know someone like that in real life.
Out of shape, never works out, smoker, drinks almost daily, but is convinced he could hold his own against a trained fighter like me, because "boxing only works with rules and I would fight dirty".
How do you deal with someone like that, if you don't wanna straight up kick their ass?
The answer is you don't, you ignore them, cause they are not worth your breath.

This. Height difference can work to the advantage of either party.

You try to kick their asses, then realize they were right in some cases.

A really fit street brawler with lots of fight experience? sure, in a lot of cases even.
Some fat tar lunged dweeb who doesn't know how to even make a proper fist?
don't kid yourself, seriously.

>office gym
>one office mate is an amateur boxer
>another is a retired boxing coach
>coach always drills me with mitts and footwork shit
>amateur boxer spars with me
>all for free
First fight this July brehs. I feel like the golden boy.

how old are you?
good luck mate, remember to punch them without getting punched.

No, ur wrong mma figther here, weaving should not be avoided in an street fight or in a fight because of kicks, if ur good at it and if ur using it in a fight u should be good enough at it, weaving works to help u position urself better, avoid kicks because allows u to control distance, and also if ur an mma figther like i am, it allows u to position urself better for takedowns and grappling.

Also if ur looking to break soemoen hands, best tactics is use ur elbows, this is what we learn to do in mma, since the gauntlets ar not as good at protecting the knucles as boxing gloves.

ur an idiot.

>that grammar
The brain damage memes are real after all

Shit I dunno, just assumed. I called up this morning and was told no slots open until the 14th... Gonna call everyday until they're so sick of me they make space.

>A really fit street brawler with lots of fight experience?

That was me before i found my coach and began training boxing and now mma, i used to pick fights with guys way bigger an older than me, and got in problems with the law because of that, so i got forced into a program to channel myself better, and there was sports and surprisingly there was boxing on it, and ill say that to win in the street is more about having grit than anything else, most traidional martial arts fighters would loose in the street not because of lack of skill but because lack of the mindset, the street is not like ur gym.

If you box 1-2 days a week, then you can switch to upper/lower or full body workouts for your lifts.

Just make sure you don't box the day after/before shoulder work or you'll tear shit up pretty quick

Lads I'm gonna start hitting a punching bag, any videos I should watch on form or anything? Currently too autistic and too poor to go to a boxing gym but I figure it's better than nothing. I've literally never been in a fight, extremely sheltered as far as that goes, and being subjugated by somebody is my biggest fear. I just wanna know how to actually punch and move without ending up one of those weird white kids you see getting their ass handed to them in videos, not that I start shit but it'd help my confidence a lot. Even skinny people on /fa/ feel comfortable in public but I don't.

Attached: 287660F2-EA42-4875-BB59-9DF76F6A22DB.png (218x232, 7K)

I also want to learn this. Wrestled for 6 years (greco/folk/free) and went to an MMA gym for two just to stay in shape. I want to hit the heavy bag for cardio and because my striking isn't great.

Completely shit on the aggressive butt-scooting BJJ fags tho. They have no idea how to handle folkstyle scrambling or judo throws.

The bones in your fist are small and weak when they're not in bandages/gloves, they can break easily since the human skull is much thicker

>that ((they)) tell you is useless in ufc
what do the Jews have to do with Judo now?

>Completely shit on the aggressive butt-scooting BJJ fags tho. They have no idea how to handle folkstyle scrambling or judo throws.
Just headbutt, slam or leg lock them. No need to dirty wrestling's tradition by grappling monkeys.

Start long distance running and outrun your opponents.
Far safer than fighting.

The fist breaks on the forehead. Anything else, almost literally anything else is good to go. You won't break your hands on someone's nose, temple, jaw, orbital bone, etc.

That is if you know how to punch, most modern boxers don't, funnily enough, they hit with the smallest knuckles which is not such a good idea.

>Some fat tar lunged dweeb who doesn't know how to even make a proper fist?
Lol, bro. Fat doesn't mean anything. And an improper fist still knocks out people.

youtube.com/watch?v=cx4gncKvlMM

Look at this fatty going crazy on some bouncers. Spoiler: Fat white guy wins easily.

lol, you clearly haven't fought a talented and vicious boxer yet.
the ring is nothing like sparring or even a streetfight.
Against overwhelming force like that, you would probably throw the towel.
A true fighter of ANY caliber overshadows petty little street brawlers by a magnitude of entire dimensions.
When you face someone that in an actual fight, then come back and say that again.

Yeah, because anyone in that video is even close to a trained fighter... if anything, that video further proves my point.
lmao why are you even in this thread?

They were nice people and all but had no idea what to do on their feet. Some of the guys there had 3-4 years of experience and it was free double legs or lateral drops for days. Put one in a front headlock and they just freeze up.

They need to teach BJJ after basic wrestling and judo. Those fuckers are helpless.

>That was me before i found my coach and began training boxing and now mma, i used to pick fights with guys way bigger an older than me, and got in problems with the law because of that, so i got forced into a program to channel myself better, and there was sports and surprisingly there was boxing on it, and ill say that to win in the street is more about having grit than anything else, most traidional martial arts fighters would loose in the street not because of lack of skill but because lack of the mindset, the street is not like ur gym.
I know man. Somebody (here?) said the difference between light contact, full contact and streetfighting is the same as with table tennis, tennis and squash.

One will no necessarily prepare you for the two others. As an example: The pro boxers who recently tried out amateur boxing in the Olympics in Rio got their asses handed to them.

sbnation.com/2016/8/10/12424182/2016-olympics-rio-boxing-pro-amateur

>Yeah, because anyone in that video is even close to a trained fighter...
The bouncers were.

>lmao why are you even in this thread?
Lol are you okay kid?

>A true fighter of ANY caliber overshadows petty little street brawlers by a magnitude of entire dimensions.
This is always, always said by people who never were in a streetfight outside of beating up bumbling drunks.

>The bouncers were.
Citation.
From what I'm seeing, absolutely not, lol.
Instead of coping with being a fatass, maybe lose weight?