/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
iwf.net/doc/technical.pdf
yashathoughts.com/

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Attached: IWF.png (1000x900, 158K)

Other urls found in this thread:

iwf.net/2018/05/02/wada-publishes-anti-doping-rule-violations-report-for-2016/
torokhtiy.com/blogs/warm-body-cold-mind/weight-category-and-height,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you can learn the lifts yourself from video if you have an iq over 100. cal strength has a great series with glenn pendlay teaching, about 4 vids each for learning progression on snatch, clean, and jerk.
if you wanted to be competitive at a national level, assuming you actually had the genetic potential and started young enough for it to be reasonable, then at some point you'd want a coach, maybe even now. but even then, a surprising number of competitive lifters were self-coached for most of their early careers, especially historically. rigert, starr, etc.
but otoh if your goal is not to compete with the lifts, but to use them for your own athletic development, then you do not need a coach and can learn them well enough to benefit from them in a few minutes a day with the bar over several session before you start adding some light weight.

>can i do both powerlifting exercises and weightlifting in the same routine
yeah, that's trivial.
while you're learning the lifts, spend about 10-20 minutes before each pl workout practicing with the bar, first thing. snatch and rack jerk on squats and bench days, cleans on deadlift days. then when you start adding weight to the ol, do 6x2 snatch, 3x2 rack jerks, 5x3 cleans as full lifts. make up for the time used by cutting out accessory or aux lifts from your pl routine at the end.
also, you can take pretty much any good beginner ol workout and make it a "supertotal" plan pretty easily. just do your back squats low bar, replace a bunch of the overhead pressing with bench work, and replace one or two of the pulls sessions with deadlift work, or do a single heavy set of deads once a week at the end of the warmup. any ol workout already has you squatting a shitload.

Bulgarianfag here, here is what they made me do a
few years back when I used to compete
Supplements
1g Analgin (metamizole sodium) with a coffee before each maximum day
Silymarin extract everyday
2 weeks prior to competition stop the creatine
b12 shots every few months
Training
M: Max Lifts/Max Squats&Pulls
T: Technique Work(heavy)/Lots of Volume squats&pulls
W: 2 reps max lifts/medium volume squats&pulls
T: medium technique/medium volume 80% load
Friday(holy friday): Biggest maximum day. Now or never. Lift or shame. 3 coffees 2 analgins before training and 5 cigarettes after. Max squat and 5repped pulls.
Saturday - Little technique work followed by Squats - Volume volume volume followed by sauna/swimming/running/beer w/e you like
Sunday - Off day/ lift only with barbell
Pulls are - snatch and clean pulls. usually 2-4 sets each.
Ab work every day. Streching if you need it.
Focus on front squats if you can, they are better than back squats, especially before competition.
After i had my injury I only did back squats. Noticed a lot of strength decrease in my snatch and clean and jerk.
I hope that I was helpful

So I learned the lifts. My numbers are quite low though which is understandable, what is the best program to get the best out my gains?
Also, how was your training today?

there's no single "best" program.
i'll upload takano's book to volafile dot org Jow Forumsfit along with everett's and fleming's books for you to pick some ideas from.
let's assume you like russian-style programming, then go with takano's book as all it is is a regurgitation of russian translations. he has a handy classification chart and example programs for classes from class iii (about 200 sinclair for men) and up.
if you like a less structured approach, fleming's book has some good programs and ideas. essentially working up to daily bests at different reps (singles or triples, or fives for squats etc) and then getting volume in and around that weight area.
everett's book is somewhere in between. not as much structure or as rigid as russian style, but he does prescribe percentages.
i'm not a fan of percentage bases for anyone that isn't very advanced and very stable in technique, because you kind of need to be both of those in order for spending weeks fucking around at a certain percentage to make sense - if you're new to lifting or rapidly getting better in form, then what is 80% of your best this week, won't be next week.
also unironically the "barbell medicine oly" program is not bad for a relative beginner. i uploaded a copy of that as well.
finally, check the links in the op.
>Also, how was your training today?
thanks for asking. just a kind of medium intensity day. snatch, rack jerk, squat, then bench press. i use a bfs-style "logbook/record" progression where i track total tonnage and best weight for a set for my reps by set target for progress, and when i'm not feeling frisky or when i have lots of chores to do, i just go sets across at close to 90% of my best for the rep range and get a decent workout then go do what i have to do without being blown out. when i feel frisky, i go after one of the records, either working up to a top set or trying for max tonnage with sets across.

what was your drug protocol like?

bump

T prop + T enan + Methane first cycle if you are asking about the steroids
If not please elaborate

Fuck I thought I had power snatch tripled 90+%, but it was only 88%.

Any sources in UK?
Could message outside of here if preferred?

most of the bulgarians that have been caught /fraud/ have been caught using either stanozolol aka winstrol, or metandienone aka dianabol. there are a couple of mentions of turinabol (metandienone derivative) and one bulgarian was caught on clenbuterol.
most of the kazhak team, which at the select team level was training "bulgarian" style, that have been caught /fraud/ were using winstrol or tuinabol or both.
anyone can see this at iwf sanctioned athletes page.
some questions for you:
at what point do the trainers put the athletes on these? is this based on performance level, or is it pretty much universal?
have you been on these and what was your cycle like?
was your cycle typical, to the best of your knowledge?
how were they cycling off? was it based on time alone, or did they test their athletes themselves to try and make sure they didn't piss hot at a competition?

i'm pretty sure that 2% mistake fucked up all your gainz for the next month.

my russian coaches also advised to stop taking creatine two weeks prior to comp
they didn't explain why, and the only reason i could think of was to drop water weight
otherwise why would you voluntarily lose out on creatine in your system, especially at the point where it really counts for something?

also, for the benefit of that mike tushy dickrider:
what do you think of the rpe schema? do you think it's applicable to the bulgarian 'method'?

what's a typical training week look like for you?

Should a third lift be added to make things a little bit more interesting? The snatch and c&j rely on power a lot, it would be nice to have something that required absolute static strength. Then there would a complete power movement (snatch), inbetween movement (c&j), and a full static strength movement. In addition to being more fun, powerliftering fatties and strongtubbies will have to shut up forever and accept that weightlifitng is superior. That would be fun.

p.s. I know the press filled that gap, but it won't come back.

By creatine, do you mean steroids or creatine monohydrate?

i imagine it takes more than a couple weeks to flush most peds to below detection thresholds

nah, competitions already take too long, why extend them by another 50%?
otherwise: bench, obvi

Low bar is, through any consistent thought process or evaluation, better for general strength. But it's really not a terribly wide gulf, and you could probably make up any difference if you cared to do more deadlifts, straight legged deadlifts, and the like to add more volume on your hamstrings.

If low bar causes you shoulder pain, just high bar and game plan around it. If low bar is causing you elbow or wrist pain, you're doing it wrong.

Not really related, but I'd point out that squat/weightlifting shoes are much more important for good high bar. Low bar more easily allows one to squat in flats.

if you can power 90% of your best for a triple you're probably dealing with some bad technique tbqh

creatine doesn't do anything to increase max single-effort strength potential directly. if it did, or if there were a chance that it did, then it would be on the prohibited list. creatine does adds reps to your sets and sets to your workout, that's what gives it value as a training aid, it allows harder work to be done in training.
dropping it is all about dropping the extra water it makes you hold.

i think the whole "muh trendy acronym" bit of it is really fucking annoying. people have been using the basic concept of targeting an effort level and adjusting the weights or the sets by feel since rocks were soft. it's stupid to pretend that it's some fantastic innovation or that it's somehow revolutionary.

pretty basic. i train with athletic-style programs that use the olympic and powerlifts together in the weightroom and have integrated conditioning and plyometrics, mostly 3x weights and 2x other workouts a week. mostly i've been using epley-style or bfs-style programming along with old-style bfs progression, but the last month or so i've been going minimalist on movements with more volume.
i'm old. doing this for health and longevity, not for competition. also a bit of a student of the history of the game.

won't happen. if it did, it'd be the press, but the press is a can of worms, if it's strict, it's a bastard to judge, and if it's not, it's both a health risk and too redundant with the jerk.
think about the last technique change before the press was dropped: the thigh brush in '64. too hard to judge, too problematic to throw lifts out for it, so they allowed it.
the future is simplicity.

creatine isn't on the prohibited list.

adding along the same line, the history of olympic weightlifting has been one of eliminating lifts. we're in the biathlon era now and most reading this are aware of the triathlon era, but in its first iteration, there were even more lifts. 1924 had five lifts contested including two of them being one-handed lifts.

>another day of PT tomorrow and another day closer to split jerking pain free again

Attached: CDEB74D3-8103-4040-A1F2-0C3CFD0626CD.jpg (1000x800, 70K)

been power/squat jerking or just avoiding the jerk period?

>creatine doesn't do anything to increase max single-effort strength potential directly. if it did, or if there were a chance that it did, then it would be on the prohibited list. creatine does adds reps to your sets and sets to your workout, that's what gives it value as a training aid, it allows harder work to be done in training.
>dropping it is all about dropping the extra water it makes you hold.
There are studies showing that creatine monohydrate increases 1 rep max, especially with explosive movements. I notice it myself.

I don't split jerk anymore as it ALWAYS results in knee pain after several weeks of doing it. Once I stop it goes away.
I like power jerking and don't feel interested to compete so it's good.

Just power jerk

Apparently they might be leading me through some split jerks tomorrow to see how I’m doing with my piriformis

You probably are either doing it wrong or have some kind of musculature problem a PT can work with you for

Also compete you queer its fun

If you dont you’re just that guy in the gym who does the funny looking lifts

Wrong person lol

>You probably are either doing it wrong or have some kind of musculature problem a PT can work with you for
>Also compete you queer its fun
>If you dont you’re just that guy in the gym who does the funny looking lifts
I train at an oly gym with a dozen national champions and several commonwealth competitors/medallists. I was taught to lift by them. Eventually I'll build a home gym for the brunt of my training.
Maybe I'll compete one day once or twice for some fun, but I don't see the point now with a current max clean and jerk of 145kg as a 110kg/6"4 lifter.
I enjoy the training more than anything.

So let me get this straight

You train in an awesome fucking enviornment and dont have a single ounce of motivation to actually compete in the sport?

Pathetic

If I wanted to compete, then I'd have to go all out and start using steroids, hgh, and the rest of it to get myself to 130kg or more bw. Otherwise it would be a waste of effort. I'd never put up a half decent lift as a 105kg lifter at my height. If I didn't put in 100% into it I'd feel like I'm wasting the organisers time.

I just do it becsuse it's fun and it's nice to build muscle/get stronger.

Oh right I forgot you’d have to be a 105+

Lol

Hopefully the rumors are true and they come out with a 120kg class in july

not him but i'm with him on that.
cj 145 is like 260 total, a shw class i lifter, basically the top end for the hobbyist and not good enough to be a sponsored lifter unless they're an up-and-coming junior or similar. it's lower than anybody in that category in this year's english or last year's british or canadian championships. it wouldn't have even medalled in a small meet like last year's italian championship. in a big country that sucks, like the usa, it wouldn't be top ten at the championships. it wouldn't have been top fifteen at the us open in '16.
when you're an also-ran at the sport, like a class i guy, and you train around a bunch of people who are better than you, there's not much point in competing desu.
otoh imo it's the people who aren't great, but don't have the opportunity to train around others, who have the most drive to compete. because when you do, you get exposure to the sport that you don't have otherwise. what's-his-name has the exposure because of the environment, so that's one less reason to compete.
least, that's how i see it.
but keep in mind i'm rather cynical and jaded. i'd have people train in flats and beltless for doubles in snatch and triples in clean until they're a classed lifter based on reps before getting shoes etc and a coach. in my mind, if you can't make it class iii on simple programs and without crutches, you don't have the potential to go places in the sport per se, might as well just enjoy the lifts and the process of training.

we've discussed this before on other threads but for those who missed it ...
iwf is gonna make 10 classes per sex and they won't reuse any old class weights because they want to wipe the dopers' records. ioc is gonna have 7 classes compete in '20. this is similar to the situation with other sports, example taekwondo has 8 classes in their world's but only 4 at the olympics.
we had 10 classes for the men from the 80s to the 90s and the cutoff was 110 for a while and 108 for a while. currently we have 105 cutoff for shw. i doubt they'll do 120 because they'll still want the midgets to lift and so they'll start in the mid-50s for the lightest. my guess is -109 and 109+ for the top two men's categories. i haven't given the women's much thought because women's sport is basically a freakshow.

speaking of freakshows, did y'all see that gavin blew out his elbow? so at least we don't have to watch that fucking crossdresser lift anymore, or put up with all the announcers dancing around the controversy over him. hope that mentally-ill faggot enjoys staring at his silver medal from world's while he's rehabbing his injury.

Im either really tired or english isnt your first langauge

What are you trying to say

I haven't been doing oly lifting long enough to put up a decent-ish lift.
The fact there are 5'9 guys with more muscle/mass than me doesn't help either.

>gavin
It’s Laurel, shitlord

it's gavin. anybody who says otherwise is either mentally ill, or is enabling someone who is. we don't play along with anorexics and give them diet drugs, we don't play along with crazies who think they're napoleon, and we shouldn't play along with schizoids who think they're the opposite sex when they're not.

don't sell yourself short, you are far more than "decent." you're one of the strongest few thousand men on the planet. it's just that the strongest few hundred men on the planet are so much better than you that you can't place anywhere nationally, that's all. keep perspective.
if you're under 25 and haven't been lifting long and are already class i bordering on cms, you've got great genetics. maybe you'll be ready to compete in another year or two.

maybe english isn't your first language?
two points about his situation specifically.
1) why compete just to be an also-ran? especially if you're not even good enough for a sponsorship or stipend?
2) lots of people who aren't all that good compete because they get access to the sport by doing so, access they don't get otherwise, like if they were that only guy in their gym doing the lifts. but if you're around the top guys at your gym, you already get that, so why compete?
one tangetial point:
1) if you can't make class iii in flats and beltless on a simple program and a decent bar, you don't have the potential to go anywhere in the sport as a sport per se. doesn't mean you shouldn't lift as a hobby or to improve in your other sports, but it does mean that you'd be wasting money on shoes, a coach, a top-of-the-line bar, etc. just be realistic about who and what you are and what you're capable of.

no fuck u, I just got stronger and that's not my real max anymore okay

wew

Bumperino

Any good gyms in Varna?

Competing is fun tho

max out erry day scrub git gud lmao

rly tho nice work

can anyone describe jerk dips to me? I've never done them but assume it's just a quarter squat in the front rack

catalyst says you should do them as fast as possible but that's not typically what i see

It's a quarter front squat, you're right.
Do them as fast as you can, catalyst is right.

bumping. curious about the real "bulgarian program"
>bulgarians caught using stanozolol aka winstrol, or metandienone aka dianabol. turinabol (metandienone derivative) clenbuterol.
>kazakhs caught using winstrol or turinabol
>at what point do the trainers put the athletes on these? is this based on performance level, or is it pretty much universal?
>have you been on these and what was your cycle like?
>was your cycle typical, to the best of your knowledge?
>how were they cycling off? was it based on time alone, or did they test their athletes themselves to try and make sure they didn't piss hot at a competition?

>if you're under 25 and haven't been lifting long and are already class i bordering on cms, you've got great genetics. maybe you'll be ready to compete in another year or two.
I'm 26. Started lifting just before turning 24 without a sporting background.
Started with starting strength, then did texas method, and then started olympic lifting last october when I found my weightlifting club. Wish I never did all that powerlifting bollocks and just started olympic lifting at the beginning.
Have trained pretty consistently, but I've had some injuries (groin, lower back) and recurring knee/elbow issues that have cost months of progress.
I get strong at a decent speed (squatted 160kg with 3 months training), but I'm made of glass. Pretty sure it's genetic as half my family has joint issues and none of them have ever lifted or done shit sportswise.

iwf.net/2018/05/02/wada-publishes-anti-doping-rule-violations-report-for-2016/
so much for "muh russian doping program"
>Italy topped the list of countries with the most ADRVs on 147 followed by France (86), the United States (76) and Australia (75).
usa is a bigger doper than the russians lel.
>Athletics topped the list of sports with the highest number of ADRVs on 205 followed by bodybuilding (183), cycling (165), weightlifting (116) and soccer (79). Rounding out the top nine were powerlifting (70), wrestling (64), rugby union (56), aquatics (35) and boxing (35).
also track is dirty as fuck, but anybody who paid attention already knew that.

this is useful information. shame they don't present it this way in the doc

Attached: aafs divided by samples.png (716x444, 28K)

Russians etc. don't even dope that much, seeing as they actually have to pass OOC testing, whereas murriclaps can blast all they want year round thanks to their Africa tier anti-doping practices then just cycle off for comps.

Bump

I was deadlifting 2 nights ago.
Yesterday I felt a spot right above my hip in the direct front, it hurt when I walk, and felt like when my bladder hurts from holding in a piss all day.
Its better now, but hurts a ton if I try to do a lunge.
Did I give myself a fucking hernia bros?

Go hve it looked by a doc

is the "spot" bulging out? that's a hernia sign. have you been able to shit? if not, it could be a blockage from a hernia. those are the two most common signs.

Any advice on where to buy a home gym from?
Want two bars (one for oly lifts and one for everything else), bumper plates, iron plates, power rack, bench, mats. Seems like it's all going to add up to like £2.5 - 3k if I want an oly bar and bumpers that will last a very long time.

Skip the power rack and iron plates if all you're interested in is WL, you can save a lot of money just getting some stands or even jerk blocks as a multipurpose item. Invest in a platform, preferably one with a muffling effect for the sound or you'll piss everyone off

WL will be primary training, but I usually do some bodybuilding faggotry at the end, hence the bench.

My reasoning for the iron plates is that I will only need a certain amount of bumpers. The max I'd probably ever clean is 200kg (assuming I up my bw and start juicing and train for several more years). Buying more bumpers than that will be just a waste of money. The iron plates will be additional weight for squatting as I can currently exceed 200kg.

The powerrack is for safety since I'll be training alone. I know how you 'safely' drop a failed squat, but sometimes shit can go wrong and I'd rather spend the extra 200 - 300 to avoid fucking myself. It will also double as a chin up/pull up bar.

I'll look into the platform. I live in a detached house with a garage, so I didn't consider the noise that much.

The biggest expense from what I have seen will a bar and the bumpers.

And I'll probably build a jerk box.

ye fair enough, personally I have felt less safe with safeties compared to dumping but it's personal pref. You might be able to scrounge on the plates and blocks but don't skimp on the bar, and make sure you take care of it after every session e.g. use a steel brush to remove chalk, dry the sweat off, etc

I assume they should be done like a push press but without the actual press (and possibly without the extension)

That's the thing, I'm not sure which bars to go with. I'm willing to spend 400 - 800 for an olybar to only use for oly lifts and variations.
I'll get a texas power bar for 350 for everything else.
I want this to last for decades if possible.

If you want the primo shit (but it costs the most), get an Eleiko, Uesaka, or Werksan

I think the most common more affordable option is usually Rogue

>Eleiko
I'm tempted.
My club has eleiko bars from the 1990s that still work without a problem.
I have been looking at Rogue stuff, but they don't seem to provide weight ratings and they haven't been around that long.

I've had good experiences with ZKC too but genuinely don't know where you'd source one at a reasonable price. I've had bad experiences with Again Faster and Rogue personally so personally I wouldn't go with them

I'm assuming you are in the UK so dampness may be an issue, so opt for stainless steel or comparable

idk if you've ever used an Eleiko bar but it's literally a pleasure to train with

just depends how much you want to spend on this, the way I'd do it would be to cost everything up and compare that to an equivalent amount of gym membership fees. My wl gym is AUD$32/week (clearly getting shafted) so I would pay off a $2000 home gym in a little over a year

How do people usually go about finding their "ideal" weight class? Is it typically done by height or is it something that you just kind of have to do by process of elimination?

Attached: __kikuchi_makoto_idolmaster_and_idolmaster_classic_drawn_by_setsuo_chohonsoku__f21d0387ae1dfebde7ce8 (1630x2306, 640K)

>I'll look into the platform.
you can make one with either 3 or 5 4x8 sheets of plywood and some rubber stall matting. attach with short screws and wood glue if you want it permanent.

you can use some of the tables promulgated by the russians, takano has one in his book (which is just russian regurgitation), or use averages from the last couple of olympics like on torkhtiy's blog, torokhtiy.com/blogs/warm-body-cold-mind/weight-category-and-height, but at the end of the day, none of that will matter unless you get to the level where you're cms class or above (300+ sinclair).
below that level, just don't get fat and get as strong as you can and lift at whatever weight you are until you get good enough for sponsorship or stipend.
the whole "i should weigh x kg more at this height" is potentially misleading. it ignores the way the world works and the sinclair is a good illustrator of that fact.
example, a lanky 5'10'' guy weighs 77kg and is stalled out at 185 total. he "should" be a -105 class based on the tables. but to maintain the same sinclair rating or russian class rating he'd also have to total at least 215. the moral of the story is, don't gain the weight unless you can out-gain it on a kilo-by-kilo basis on your total as well.

This is shitty advice

You should be thinking in the long run and be far sighted with your WL career

Being in the ideal weightclass is very important and will allow you to be as competetive as possible, and settling in to a weightclass is a process that takes a long time little do most people know

I would only move up 1 or 2 weightclass a year, 2 is kinda pushing it unless you are really new and can pack on “noob gains” like only 173cm and 65kg or some shit like that

Pic related is generally an accurate chart for heights and weightclasses

I’m 173cm and 94kg and I’m so much better here than I was at 85 I fill out so much better, I’m more stable and so much stronger

Attached: A5DD7A89-ACF4-49DC-9E1D-5BBDDFC0EA3D.jpg (750x476, 58K)

>tfw you need become either a huge fucking fat ass and/or take loads of steroids to fill out your height

Yeah this is a short peoples sport sorry about that lol

The new classes should be

60, 75, 90, 100, 110, 125, 125+.

Here is hoping the IWF uses their brains and adds a proper heavyweight class before the supers, so guys in the 186 - 193 range can compete without being obese.

Nice job alienating both 85’s who dont want to cut and 94’s who dont want to be 100kg for no reason other than pandering to tall faggots who dont do this sport anyways

Now dont get me wrong I would want a 116 or something like that after 105 but adding 2 more heavy weightclasses before SHW is ridiculous and alienates a wide base of the sport’s athletes

85's can jump to 90 and 94 can drop or jump to 100. The whole thing is getting changed to axe the 94s primarily.

I was just memeing.
I'd love a 120 class before the supers. That way I could get to 120 and compete with abs as a 194cm lanklet.

Adding 5-6kg will make a WHOLE lot of people fucking fat for no reason

Especially in the American WL scene almost all of our athletes are 85’s and 94’s so that would be really shitty and benefit literally noone

Are you just tall or something and angry you have to choose between 105 and SHW

as usual, the namefag doesn't know good advice when he sees it.
have you figured out your "non-meme" method for fixing your lack of shoulder flexibility yet?

stay lean and lift where your weight is. fat doesn't increase your total.
gain weight only if you can increase your total by more kilos than you increase your body weight.
if you push for weight gain over results, you'll just fuck yourself and wind up less competitive than you were.
it'll work itself out over time. or not, if you don't have potential to be one of the top guys, which, odds are, you don't, because 99.999% of all people don't.

uh, duh, there are gonna be TEN classes. are you not paying attention?
iwf gets to make 10 for the championships. ioc will then pick 7 that will appear at the olympics. this is analogous to what they currently do in other weight class sports, like taekwondo which has 8 classes in their championships but only 4 at the olympics.
all of them are gonna be non-repeats of previously-used classes in order to wipe the records.

>just don't get fat and get as strong as you can and lift at whatever weight you are until you get good enough for sponsorship or stipend.

Lol I live in the US so that whole stipend thing won't be happening

Thanks for the rest of your post though

What should the 10 classes be?

If you are only lifting to be a “top guy” you are a fucking moron

You can always lean out over time as you get stronger and recomp but being a lanklet is not good at all and will limit you so much in this sport

You think way too fucking short term

Yes my sinclair has gone down from when I was an 85 but I have so much more potential now over the next 15 years I expect to compete as a senior before I can do masters

There was no way I was going to be as good as an 85 as I can be as a 94

Getting to my weight early as possible allows me the most time to lean out at this weight and become comfortable as my final intended weightclass

If you are some hobbyist this doesnt apply

But people who want to do this for a long time and do 1-2 national meets yearly should follow as I say

Hobbyists sicken me

You either actually compete in this sport or you are some larper who does weird looking lifts at the gym

Hey guys I feel super somfy with my rack grip super close, is this ok in the long run? I mean as long as my hands are outside oft shoulders right ?

Attached: 4BC01694-7494-4FD4-A574-10CFE3C5D7A4.jpg (641x641, 81K)

Look Panzer I'm not going to go compete with a fucking 35kg snatch alright man it's not gonna happen

I've gotta get my shit together first

You’re probably not going to be able to open your chest much with a narrow rack and that can harm your jerk in long run

But I get what you mean

I front squat with a narrow rack and clean with a much wider one cause it allows better opening of the chest

We have 13 14 and 15 year old girls that do alot more than that at my gym

What is holding you back so much cause I assure you that you are stronger than those girls

I really doubt you cant snatch atleast 40-60kg dependinh on bodyweight if you are really trying

Another option is reracking your hands with some pop at the top of the front squat out of a clean

Or if you are a madman and can do it you can do colombian style reracks

But the normies in the gym will still you're doing the weird looking lifts. They don't know that you compete, or they'll think you crossfit. Most probably do.

But I push press better with a narrow grip, I just hit a rep pr of 5 with 195

Why should I compete unless I stand a chance to win

>best snatch grip push press:140kg
>best behind the neck power jerk: 140kg.
Weird, right?

Thats not the point

If you have no intention of competing you are a hobbyist who is training how to do a sport without actually doing it

In few other sports is this common at all

You dont see people practicing lacrosse cause its ‘fun’

You dont see people practicing baseball cause its ‘fun’

Alot of people just do rec leagues and that is fine they are still competing in the sport

Very few sports can be done purely recreationally and you are a madman if you think WL is one of them

Better tricep activation probably

You can get the bar back into position where you want it better with the chest open wider and that usually requires a wider racj

>You dont see people practicing lacrosse cause its ‘fun’
>You dont see people practicing baseball cause its ‘fun’
There are plenty of people doing those sports for fun, but I know what you mean, they participate in some sort of competition against another team. The difference is that your examples are team sports, you can't do lacrose or baseball by yourself. Whereas with weightlifting, you can. You can get just as much fun training in your garage as you can competing.
Your argument is a bit like saying 3 or 5 guys shouldn't play football in a park with one net.

Because it's fun

Also, general reminder to do your upper back work

Attached: 20180503_202241.png (1080x2220, 2.08M)

I can post a video can you guys can see if it’s a go or no?

If you dont like doing the sport why are you doing this

Competing is fun

Meets are fun

Running a peaking cycle with your teammates and feeling good going into a meet is fun

Traveling out to AO series or Juniors or U25s or AO finals or Nat champs together with your coach and teamates is fun

If you dont compete you are not a weightlifter you are a gym goer who does weightlifting movements

Competing 100% makes or breaks if you are a weightlifter or not

Because you arent doing the sport if you arent competing

Just like swinging a bat doesnt make you a baseball player

Lifting a barbell doesnt make you a weightlifter

You can go to the batting cages for fun and thats your perogative

You can do snatches and clean and jerk at the gym and thats yoe perogative

But dont call yourself a baseball player or a weightlifter cause you arent