Is this a meme or does rep speed matter? Seems like most sites say slower reps are for building appearance...

Is this a meme or does rep speed matter? Seems like most sites say slower reps are for building appearance, faster reps are for strength. Trying to find a good source.

Attached: building-bigger-muscles-faster.jpg (600x399, 52K)

So you came to Jow Forums for a good source.

I trust skeptics more than random clickbait articles

I heard from a ripped asian manlet that not locking out during sets forces more blood into the muscle and makes it easier to get big. Can anyone confirm his oriental magic?

I dont know about slow reps build better looking muscles, but fast with good form does help build explosiveness

It's not magic, you don't let the targeted muscle rest at all, it's a constant contraction which leads to more time under tension.

Alex said slow reps don't work your muscles more it works your connective tissue more which leads to injuries. Do speedier reps.

Are you serious? How retarded are you to even think about this literal broscience statement?

Doing reps slower is just a form of adding volume - none that I like because it becomes harder to judge and measure your own progress, as you are now in the need of controlling another parameter precisely.

shut up weeb

shut up stupid cunt

just do them normally
I experimented with slower eccentric phase and it felt like a waste of time also slower reps = appearance is utter bullshit faster reps might make sense to build explosive strenght tho but then you mostly have shit form and don't use full range of motion too so overall shit

"nice and slow" reps are probably the biggest meme ever in the lifting world
you'll build the most muscle lifting the weight in an explosive style. its natural.

If mean if you're doing DB rows chances are you're gonna cheat a little on the movement up with the rest of your body if you're doing it 'explosively.' If you wanna hit purely your lats you wanna do it a little slower

spittin fire

doing it a little slower maybe helps when you're just starting out new to help dial in the form, but theres no reason to deliberately slow down your tempo. Why would you train yourself to be slower? you're just leaving gains on the table

I like 3 sec on the way down and explosive on the way up.

shut up whore bitch

Hey all. Dad is a Sports medicine doctor. He said the literature supports the idea that you basically can move the weight at the strength, at/below the speed you train, and the same goes for negatives. Pull fast and hard but controlled, and let a 3-4 second negative happen on each rep. so that's what i do.

Based sports medicine dad poster

You can do speed reps or cheap reps when you're not that strong but after a while you should go to slow reps because you want the muscle to stand under tension.
Also full range is stealing half of your potential gains.

>3-4 second negative happen on each rep
that is so unnecessary
theres no hypertrophy difference between 1 and 4 second negatives
literally all "slow controlled" negatives do is make you more sore

>you'll build the most muscle lifting the weight in an explosive style. its natural.

bullshit you flaming nigger

t. brainlet
go read another bodybuilding.com article and drink your protein shake and BCAA, fag

You obviously want to try and go as fast as you can on the concentric, and if it goes up fast it means you're not lifting heavy enough

it is time i drink my protein shake you nigger lover. at least i lift unlike you flaming ho.

>i learned words on fitblogs
>the based doctor doesn't know shit
>beefcake

time under tension matters for hypertrophy.

And we all know, if your muscles are sore after a workout, you are doing it wrong.

Fast concentric, slow eccentric. Get the strength and the gains.

S L O W A N D S T E A D Y

Speed reps are rely on momentum of the weights

Depends on what you are doing. Say, sit-ups are best done slow because you will work your abs more.

If fast reps rely on momentum it will just allow you to do heavier weights or more reps. Ultimately the relative effort will be the same. What matters for time under tension is your speed during the concentric, because if the speed is quick than you are essentially just letting the weights fall which can be a form of rest. Another often overlooked aspect is pausing at joint lock out which is not a good idea if you are focusing on time under tension as the tension is greatly diminished at such points.

So much this. Slow and controlled both adds to proper form and tension. Doing speedy reps only paves way for using momentum and missing out on tension, meaning you cheat your muscles out on the the proper excercise.

Isn't that actually a think where people don't lock out so their muscles are contracted the entire set? Like if you stop at the bottom of alternating bicep curls you are letting your arm rest but if you don't go full ROM and immediately do the next rep you are constantly under tension.

King Tut bro

I have no fucking clue about volume, but faster reps are better for strength. The power your muscles exert is the force they apply times the velocity the weights move. So, if you move a lighter weight faster, you can train your muscles to lift heavier weights at a normal speed. The caveat is that you need to keep your form in check or you will cheat yourself.

Thats only true if your goal is hypertrophy, there are merits to doing fast eccentric and concentric.

fuck you nigger who tf you think you talking to nigger

> "being more sore = more gains"
you're such a brainlet.
its not even muscle soreness, its connective tissue soreness
if you're overly sore, it takes longer to recover, meaning longer before you can progress in weight and reps
when you do slow reps and get sore for 3 days from it your muscles arent growing all those days they're just recovering from the soreness

slow reps that give soreness gives people alot of perceived effort, but it is 100% inferior to lifting normally.

faster reps are better for everything. you should always move the weight as fast as you can

Jow Forums is where I get all my fitness and health advice. Also my lower back hurts for some reason

I knows you joking nig, but seriously my lower back pain has gotten better since I started doing hip thrusts as an accessory lift for that glute strength. It's a shame a lot of people miss out on that exercise due to insecurity.

Time under tension is a real thing, but I wouldn't consider it viable for dumbbell rows.

gotta go fast

i understand.