Running thread

Thread for running
>Planning to run any races?
>MPW
>Are you currently Injured
>How long have you been running

Attached: kipchoge.jpg (371x371, 27K)

Just moved to a new country, planning to start running again. Haven't been doing much running for a while, was mainly focused on lifting. Most I've ran was 18km about 1.5 year ago. I ran a 5k on a treadmill at 12km/min like a week ago and wasn't that tired. Found a race in 6 weeks, I want to do a half marathon there, I think I should be able to do it. Planning to follow pic related starting at week 7.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-02-20-53-12-173_com.google.android.apps.docs.png (1080x1920, 373K)

This weekend, my first ultra

>MPW
Varies wildly, but generally not enough

Nope

Since I learned to walk?
Seriously (again) for the last 5 or so years, sort of consistently for the last two.

I used to try to run but always my feet would end up hurting like crazy. Got new shoes abd ran about 4km easy. Any tl;dr/infographic pictures that could put me on my way to being a runner?

I've started getting acute pain in my back after 3-5km of running, it seems specific to mid-lower back, the pain subsides when I stop, but the area feels inflamed afterwards. Im a fat fuck and only started running earlier this year, could it just be weak core muscles? Is this a common complaint among new runners?

Have a marathon in September and not ran in 3 weeks because of shin splints
Anyone have any tips?

Had this exact problem. You may have flat feet, go to a podiatrist or something to get insoles fitted.
Never looked back, improved my posture and no more foot pain.

How fat are you? It could be due to weak core but also maybe bad strides. Try to focus on landing on your mid-foot, increase your cadence (number of strides per minute, and with your chest slightly forwards (tilting at the hips a little bit)
Also you may need to build up your speed a bit slower. Try to increase distance at lower speeds.

You guys have any advice for figuring out somewhere to do 100m sprints and tracking them? I'm supposed to do 8 100m sprints, but I don't have a track. Just some trails nearby. MapMyRun doesn't seem to have any tools for doing several sprints in the same day. Also, how long should I rest between sprints?

Attached: Screenshot_20180501-150449.png (1080x1920, 177K)

I'm 6' 115kg (255lbs)

I'll try increasing cadence

You're pretty heavy. Running is high impact and I would say go slower (increase elevation and distance).
Also at your weight, split up your cardio and add in some lower impact training.
Good examples are cycling and swimming.
A nice mix of these will put less stress on your joints as you drop the weight. Once you're down to a lower weight you can increase the running and start progressing as a runner.

At that weight running is going to be painful

Attached: 1520499877151.jpg (640x360, 20K)

Strava premium comes to mind but I can't think of anything for free off the top of my head.

Lay on your back, flat a bed whilst holding your legs off the end of the bed from the mid-thigh. Keep your legs straight then point your big toes out towards the wall and hold for 20secs, then pull them back as far as they’ll go as though your trying to touch your knees with them. Again hold for 20secs. Repeat for 5 sets. This exercises the muscle behind the shins

Also do about but when your pouting your toes outwards, try doing some small circles with your big toe or writing your name in the air

If you’re doing 100m speedwork then a sprint out in one direction, then a jog (not run) back. Whatever the it took you to sprint out and jog back is your rest time between reps. Do 3sets of 6-8reps

>sprint 100m = 20secs
>jog 100m = 40secs
>rest = 1min
>repeat 3 sets of 8

I don't like the feel I get in my left knee joint so I ordered some glucosamine. Helped me last time I had issues with the joints.

Two planned in the fall.

>MPW
Right niw averaging 35mpw. I plan on building up to 50 prior to the fall marathons and add an equivelent 10 with cycling. However, I injure easily so it's a wait-and-see approach.

Nope. Just got off of a deep tissue injury from January when I was running often on snowy trails. The instability injured a deep muscle that finally stopped acting up in late March.

3 years. I just now finally start doing actual distance a speed drills so I'm finally gaining speed after being a slowfuck for so long.

RunKeeper has a feature that you can program in workouts, including distance.

>3 sets of 6-8 reps
What exactly do you mean by this? Repeating those steps 6 times then repeating that whole process 3 times? That seems like a lot of volume if I'm keeping my intensity high and it would definitely hinder my squats the next day since I'm on a cut.

I've had good results on my run time before with sprinting then jogging though so I like that idea. This is mainly just some cardio to help drive the cut and to help my run a little bit since that's something I do for fun.

$8 a month is more than I'd like to pay for a running app. I suppose I could try finding a way to measure out a straight area near me to sprint and just repeat for that distance like the distance between two signs or some trees.

you should try losing some weight

>>Planning to run any races?
Currently in a big city for work so plannig on doing some 5ks
>>MPW
About 25
>>Are you currently Injured
Injured my shoulder doing lifting so probably going to increase running
>>How long have you been running
3 years

Started reading an interesting book called 'unbreakable runner' about avoiding miles and miles for training and encourages HIIT and weight lifting in combination with running to reduce injuries

Attached: FB_IMG_1505797472817.jpg (640x1423, 71K)

i had the same problem, but it went away after i ran consistently.
took a long time for it to go away however, 2 years i believe, best you can do is take it easy if you feel like your feet are about to hurt. I believe this happens because if you don't run alot when you are young your feet are weak and will take some time to adapt, especially if you are/were sedentary

Just use the measuring tool on google maps

Do HRMs add any value if im just running for fitness and going off perceived effort?