Why the fuck are you wasting your time doing back squats?

Why the fuck are you wasting your time doing back squats?

Front squats are a CHEAT CODE to a better back squat anyway, even if you are a powerlifter.

Attached: b5619832dbd95ef75e622e3ff28f0532.jpg (640x640, 111K)

Because my body doesn’t allow for them.

>how to get better at back squats
>Do front squats user!

Attached: 1513835286363.jpg (640x640, 26K)

are you a centipede or something?

bad dorsiflexion = get some weightlifting shoes+ add a half inch to the sole.

cant keep back upright? do fucking front squats. its just weakness

Cant hold bar in rack position due to wrist mobility? use crossed arms or straps.
it hurts your neck? man up and get used to it. it stops feeling weird after a while just like hook grip.

Its true user. this is why weightlifters do them so much (not just because it transfers to C&J.

My back squat stagnated at 345lbs for a year, then i started doing front squats primarily and it shot up to 420lbs in another year with only 3 lb bodyweight gains. i am 5'9 151lbs for reference.

did not back squat much in that time.

You back squat went up because you added squatting volume

had you done more back squat instead your progress would've been better

I don't believe this is true. I was back squatting for 3 years before that and had tried many different programs. Squatting volume was either exact same or slightly less. Thinking back i think It was less actually, becase i went to a weekly progression scheme instead of a month block of high volume each session with a 2 week taper and repeat.
3-4 sets of 8 once per week, and 3 sets of 5 once per week on front squats is all it has taken.

Before that i was doing way more volume each session on back squats. I just stagnated and front squats are my cheat code.
there is a reason why Dan green credits his squat to doing fronts, and why olympic lifters are so strong....

>destroying his knees

I used to do them. The problem was I liked them so much (probably because I already had strong quads) that I did them too often, got a quad imbalance and started getting issues. Now I can't do them until I've evened out.

go away with this meme
front squats are far more athletic.

so the real lesson here is that you need variation. You spent 3 years doing nothing but back squats. suddenly, you change to front squats and you get some new gains. That's because you literally spent 3 years doing one exercise.

perhaps. i'm not stupid enough to dismiss that. Was simply arguing to that post which was implying specificity of training triumphs all else.

Bare in mind i did not do any back squats for that period of time, yet my back squat increased by over 30kg.
This is observed among top level Olympic weightlifters too, and there are a few powerlifters around who are promoting front squats heavily, like Dan Green who pretty much focuses exclusively on them for months at a time too.

If you are not front squatting but are able you are missing out big time.

there's less compressive and shear force on the knees with front squats than back squats

The dude you posted is doing primarily back squats because you can lift more weight on them so you work your legs more. The only reason any oly lifter would do the front squat, is so you can practice the second part of the clean.

I was not really arguing with you about front squats, its more like variation is the real king here. If you spend too much time applying the same stimulus your body will experience diminishing returns. Changing the exercise once in a while (maybe every month, or at the start of a new block) helps to avoid this. This is basically the foundation of the conjugate system that westside barbell uses for all of their athletes.

吕小军 has maxed out his strength. his max back squat is something like 330kg. Once the Chinese lifters get to this point in strength, their only limit in clean and and Jerk of snatch is technique. He no longer needs to lift to increase strength. That is for more novice or growing lifters where strength is also a limiting factor. I believe the Bulgarians still don't back squat hardly ever and they are a dominant force in Olympic weightlifting to this day. they are famous for only front squatting.

anyways point is you are missing out on gains by not front squatting.

Even if he doesn't need to increase his strength he needs to maintain it, and that is not possible by lifting submaximal loads through front squats.

>I believe the Bulgarians still don't back squat hardly ever and they are a dominant force in Olympic weightlifting to this day.
You couldn't be further from the truth. Bulgarians haven't been dominant in oly lifting for more than a decade. During their haydays when the so called "Bulgarian Method" was conjured up they were known for doing only the competition lifts and BACK squats and maxing out every day.

The front squat doesn't hit anything better than a back squat. Stabilizers can be trained more effectively through other lifts.

In my case i'm pretty sure it increased some weakness i had that was limiting my backsquat. The variation argument is valid, but doing them solely did me wonders, and got me almost a 3x body weight back squat.

quads and upper back strength probably bridged the gap.

I''m certain anyone who doesn't do front squats will benefit immensely from getting their front squat to 140kg.

>吕小军
Really?

So basically it worked for you and you think you've discovered a magic bullet. That's not how it works. Everyone has different biomechanics, different training history and different imbalances. Just because something worked for you, it doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone. Should everyone try them out? Absolutely. Should they be your stable lift? Up to you. Does everybody have to do them exclusively and no other squats? Absolutely not.

ehhh I think you will find i never promoted the idea of doping everything else, I just said that is what i did.

All i've said is that anyone who doesn't do them will benefit a lot form doing them. I never see front squats shilled on here ever but out side of internet "fitness" communities like here and youtube "athletes" Front squats are a staple of athletic training and strength building. Its just normal i nstrength and conditioning communities.

only in these weird pseudo-fitness communities are things we commonly see promoted believed as the rule.

What makes front squats so special that it affects back squat? increase in quad strength?

It's quad and upper back training that addresses the weak spots of many lifters and teaches good habits.

Im intrigued. I'll look into front squats. thanks.

Opinions on front squat vs SSB?

>having shit mobility
Lmao at your life

Front squats and high bar squats are basically the same lol

Now low bar...

nah. there is a big difference.
Low bar and front squats is more extreme.

Personally i never did low bar but front squats brought up my high bar squat a lot.

like he said, good habits and improves weak factors most ppl have. Dont do them belted for max benefits.

If you cant do a front squat you dump forward and fail. you cannot muscle one up with shitty form like a back squat.

Look at the range of motion between back squat and high bar and compare jeebs

I can go really ass to grass with back squats, my mobility is great (thank god). I guess its time to switch to front squats and improve that.

Need hamstring training Tbh

>they were known for doing only the competition lifts and BACK squats and maxing out every day.
Wrong. From 1986 forward, Abadjiev's lifters only trained classics + power variations and front squat. Back squat along with pulls were only used to replace the snatch for injured lifters.

>During their haydays when the so called "Bulgarian Method" was conjured up they were known for doing only the competition lifts and BACK squats and maxing out every day.

that's incorrect, they did daily maximums on front squat

t. Max Aita who trained under Abadjaev

>The front squat doesn't hit anything better than a back squat. Stabilizers can be trained more effectively through other lifts.

hits thoracic erectors much, much harder than back squats do because of the increased moment arm from having the bar on the front, allows you to train quads to the same extent with lower spinal loading because there is more forward knee travel and therefore a greater knee extension moment (also less compressive stress on knees despite this because lighter loading)

activation in the quads, glutes, and hamstrings is almost identical, back squats hit adductors a little harder

I can't into the rack position, I keep trying but I just can't

front squats are objectively bad for your knees, but for most people the benefits outweigh the cost

no more than any other squat variant, and less so for a lot of people

I would absolutely fucking love stop back squatting.

I don't know if it's the way my body is, how long my femurs are, etc, but I can't back squat to save my life. After 3 reps I'm done. No matter what kind of volume I try, every rep is difficult.

Front squats on the other hand are actually relatively enjoyable, as far as putting a weight on my shoulders that could leave me crippled if I severely mess up.

front squats are more technical and have a more difficult form
they're god tier if you do them correctly
kind of same difference between them and back squat as low bar and high bar: better but harder and thus more injury prone for beginners and regumar gymrats

only leg exercise i do besides romanian deadlifts and regular deadlifts.
back squats are for fat powerlifters and faggot twinks who want a nicer ass.

Tried Front squats last week and they feel a lot better for me, should I alternate back/front squats or switch over completly to front squats?

i completely ditched back squats, as front squats felt much better for me as well.
i do hamstring work and deadlifts to make sure i hit the posterior chain, but yea, no more back squats.

gonna try frontsquats

are front squats harder? if so how much weight should i take off

start with one plate and see how it feels.
it's harder, but it's also very awkward.

start with doig both for a while and if you really like them then you can stop back squats

Because I believe using more muscle mass in training leads to more strength gains.

Call me crazy.