Was Bruce Lee a bullshitter?

He was a professional actor and a professional exerciser. But he had no legitimate professional fighting record. So how can we know that he was any good or that his fighting principles actually work in real life? His reputation is so enormous that you get the impression that he was the most formidable fighter the world has ever seen. But remember this guy only weighed 130 pounds. Could he last one round with a UFC or boxing heavy weight fighter without getting killed? I think a lot of this Bruce Lee cult is all hype.

Attached: Bruce-Lee-Side-Kick-Warning.jpg (500x330, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6xDHmFqLDUg
youtube.com/watch?v=lGbiKGrzt1U
youtube.com/watch?v=S19VsB7__v0
youtube.com/watch?v=9dI998TEspM
youtube.com/watch?v=aQWb82aaOaM
youtube.com/watch?v=cNw6gbMWoNI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I looked up to this man, I studied his every move. It was my dream to be as fast as Bruce lee. I practised every day for hours and hours. He was a god to me.

Then I found out about movie tricks. Trick photography. I was crushed

He has impressive attributes, like balance, flexibility, cardio, general athletic ability, life philosophies, but he was not a fighter.

he was an actor, what do you think?

Attached: 1509934590577.png (958x665, 147K)

Same with modern "bruce lee" types like DK yoo etc.

If there's no sparring or fight videos to be found then they're probly fake.

Even the gracies back in the late 80s had fight videos. You're telling me with YouTube and all now, these modern fighters don't hv any fight vids to be found?

>professional actor and a professional exerciser. But he had no legitimate professional fighting record

He was a cool guy and competent in his art. Who gives a flying fuck about "pro fighting record" which is pretty much how brain damaged someone is?

Get serious.

anyone remember when tinytrip used to get triggered whenever someone made a bruce lee thread?

fuck im old

Pretty much this. Bruce Lee could still fuck you up OP

Yeah no shit, sherlock.

youtube.com/watch?v=6xDHmFqLDUg

Attached: bullshido__samoorai_by_tenshirisu.png (800x977, 360K)

Why do people think Bruce was actually some fighting god? Professional fighters make shit actors and shit choreographers.

I see him more as someone who gave a lot of art and style. He sold himself to the world and it payed off. People loved his style, philosophy, writings and over all work ethic. He had his own dojos and did fight but I don't view him in that sense he was more about art than fighting. He was more ascended in that regard.

I read his poetry, watch his films, read about him and get what he was about. I think he would do extremely well, in the ufc today and probably be at the top.

They mostly play into the myth of Bruce Lee, but he's so revered for popularising martial arts and popularising a freeform martial art. He took the rigidity out of martial arts and made it adaptable and free-flowing.

>I think he would do extremely well, in the ufc today and probably be at the top
lol, how can you even say that? He has never been in a real match, and somehow he's the same level as competitors who have spent years fighting real fights?
There's no evidence he could actually fight.

I love Bruce Lee threads because they bring all the mouthbreating armchair experts like yourself out. You think Bruce Lee wouldn't adapt to the training needed to be in the UFC? Are you disabled?

Silly question, you obviously are.

He was a martial artist first. You watch auditioning videos of him before he was ever in any show or movie and he talks about his martial art. He said he wanted to use movies to spread the word about his style and philosophy. His philosophy wasn't about competition which is why he has no professional career, it wasn't about that.

>You think Bruce Lee wouldn't adapt to the training needed to be in the UFC
How do you know he could adapt? Again, he has never been in a real fight, so how do you know he could adapt to one?
I'm sure he could train like a UFC fighter, but fighting in a ring is different, and neither of us can know how he would do. Saying he could master it is just dicksucking.

>he has never been in a real fight
He was part of a street gang, you fucking mongoloid.

Bruce was very competent in what he wanted to do. He was was "street" and a lot of what he said aligns with the current mma landscape. His influences were his fight with Wong Jack Man and growing up in a bad neighborhood full of gangs in Hong Kong is another. He had to leave that place because of gangs. Lee had a huge work ethic and he was already saying what is being said today. You can argue that the gracies and other people were doing MMA too but they didn't promote it and have a national dialogue about it.

My neck is thicker than his waste. Little chinaman not going to be able to do much after I ground and pound.

So why isn't his martial art winning everywhere in the MMA scene? Why don't militaries around the world pay for their troops to be instructed by Bruce Lee's disciples?

Attached: 61f4e30cf9b5132cb98cd8ab6f8fe9b7.jpg (600x347, 32K)

His martial art is essentially MMA. How do you not even understand the most basic shit you talk about?

No, Jeet Kun Do is take what works discard the rest.
MMA is a sport that says take wrestling and throw in a bunch of other art styles around it so that you don't break the rules.

>How could a man whose martial art means "take what works and discard the rest" possibly adapt to UFC?
lmao

Point is you would never have the chance to get him down. Doesn't matter how strong or experienced someone is if their opponent is laughably faster and more agile.

Theres no reason for anyone to say I do JKD instead of MMA, they are literally the same thing.

that's what the Viper thought.

youtube.com/watch?v=lGbiKGrzt1U

Viper literally won but started showboating.

Then it is a meaningless generality. It's like saying, "I have this new martial art: do everything."

Attached: a-few-good-men.jpg (448x252, 10K)

That was literally an innovation at the time. Martial arts were insanely rigid and locked in their traditions back then.

Thread is literally about his fighting ability you fucking illiterate retards. This isn't /tv/.

He had an amateur fight record, but he only ever fought three or four times.

Even as an actor he was the real deal. The stuff he did on screen was flashy, but the stuff he would do in martial arts demos was good, solid martial arts.

Except that's bullshit.

Jujutsu is and has always been a conolete system if striking, throwing and grappling, and it has been around much longer than JKD.

>Literally does not understand the concept of Mixed Martial Arts
This is fucking embarrassing lad. Quit while you're behind.

It was revolutionary especially in the Chinatowns in Cali. Do you know the controversy he caused and how many people got triggered because of what he was saying and publishing in the papers at the time?

Except regular jujitsu is still rigid and jujitsu should not be a supplement for mma (JKD). Has anyone in the jujitsu community done as much for martial arts? No

'MMA' existed before the UFC, or Pride or whatever. We used to just call it cross-training.

I'm not anti-JKD, just pointing out that it wasn't the first attempt at a complete system. Unfortunately for jujutsu it was co-opted by McDojos in the same way karate was, capitalising on the whole mystical Eastern bullshit fad.

You might be the most retarded poster I've seen in weeks.

Nice argument, dickhead

There's not point arguing with you. You just screech in response to everyone proving you wrong at every turn. Pipe down.

If it doesnt help with mma its basically a useless martial art.
You see fighters do boxing, wrestling, bjj, and kickboxing but i never heard of one studying jeet kun don’t

I still think Lee could take down Mas Oyama or anyone stuck in the classical system.

I think you may be confusing me with another poster...

Yeah, I think Lee's style had an edge over those old school Japanese guys. Kyokushin is good shit when trained properly, but it lacks flexibility. I'd like to have seen a fight between a fighter like Oyama or Kano and Bruce Lee.

are you trying to pound his ass or fight him you fucking faggot.

little nigga would rekt your shit.

street gangs are known for their 1 v 1 fights showcasing martial exploits, not just mobbing a dude, stomping him out and running away.

ask me how i know you weigh over 300 pounds.

I'm actually 6'1 170 lbs. Not a fat guy. Maybe Kano but Bruce knew Judo too. Oyama was fat and probably had no stamina

>“In Jeet Kune-Do, physical conditioning is a must for all martial artists. If you are not physically fit, you have no business doing any hard sparring. To me, the best exercise for this is running. Running is so important that you should keep it up during your lifetime. What time of the day you run is not important as long as you run. In the beginning you should jog easily and then gradually increase the distance and tempo, and finally include sprints to develop your 'wind…Besides running, one should also do exercises for the stomach - sit-ups, leg raises, etc. Too often one of those big-belly masters will tell you that his internal power has sunk to his stomach; he's not kidding, it is sunk and gone! To put it bluntly, he is nothing but fat and ugly.” - Lee

>HE HAS NO REAL FIGHTING EXPERIENCE
>NO NO NO REAL FIGHTING EXPERIENCE ISN'T REAL FIGHTING EXPERIENCE ONLY FIGHTING IN THE OCTAGON IS REAL FIGHTING EXPERIENCE
Fucking stop.

Big fan if lee but id say hes more hype.
Be beat a pudgy wong jack man and took him too long to beat him and trad martial arts guys still suck. So bruce started refini g his style.
Gene lebell said lee would get frustrated when he got pinned in wrestling.
He was a fit freak he could beat up guys but id say the mma guys would win

He used movie tricks? Dam. Theyd hype him up and say they had to slow it down

nah, bruce lee fans are usually skeletons, because he makes them feel less bad about themselves.

bruce lee trained wing chun for a small period of time, flaked off, started doing movies. "inventing" his own martial art involved realizing boxing was the tits and jack dempsey ruled, and thinking fencing footwork and methodologies applied to fighting (which already existed in boxing, aka fencing with the fists). then he created a retarded fucking stance that makes no sense, also he never trained grappling.

then faggots who never fight see his "sage" advice of "do whatever works," but they don't actually train, so it they'll never know what works or what doesn't.

at best, bruce lee applied a fighting sports mentality to martial arts (do whatever works to win); but then he turned his martial art into a worse boxing with sidekicks. Also pretty much all chinks are liars and frauds anyway, and all their martial arts are stupid bullshit.

why don't you follow around your local mexican street urchin gang and learn their sage fucking fighting arts you utter retart

I don't live in America. I don't have to deal with spics or street gangs. The poster claimed Bruce has never been in a "real fight" and there is no realer a fight than getting jumped by multiple opponents.

he didn't know judo you dumb cock, gene lebell tried to show him moves for choreography in the green hornett but lee said they weren't flashy enough. there's literally no evidence he "knew" judo, had rank in judo, competed in judo, or anything.

EXCEPT THAT HUR DUR IF HE WAS IN THE STREET GANG IT PROBABLY MEANS HE WAS PART OF THE MULTIPLE OPPONENTS GROUP THAN THE SINGLE OPPONENT GROUP HURR DURR

jesus fucking christ off yourself

Street gangs fought against other street gangs you dunce. He wasn't running around mugging women. It's okay to be ignorant about the kinds of street gangs that were in Hong Kong at the time but it's not okay to pretend you aren't a retard when it's so very clear that you are.

Even Bruce had his own El Guapo to face. Too bad it was tylenol.

He did learn grappling from him but lebell said he always got pinned and got frustrated

He learned at the Seattle dojo and was good friends with Hayward Nishioka.

hate to break your little bubble bub but real life isn't like your chink movies where the gangs circle and take turns fighting each other one at a time. also bruce lee was in a "gang" before he ever even trained martial arts, so how the fuck is his "real fighting experience" from gangs connected at all to his status as a "martial artist"? again, it's like saying every fucking chulo that has knocked out another chulo is a god damn warrior king. and yet again, fucking off yourself

how are you so disabled? Someone said Bruce Lee had "never been in a real fight". I provided evidence to the contrary.

You've been moving goalposts and having a shitfit for far too long now about it. It's embarrassing and the time for you to stop was before you even sent your first post. Pipe down.

Street fighting is how yip mans dojo worked

yea nishioka trained KARATE with bruce lee you god damn penis. this is the same guy who claims he beat Rickson Gracie even though he got subbed 4 times in a row.

There is no reason to worship Bruce Lee in the modern day.

Bitchboi detected. If you can't fight at least a little you're not a man.

You implied that he had no exposure to it, I was saying that yeah he did work on judo at the Seattle dojo and was friends with people who did it, he was exposed to it

Reminder that this is what Chinese Martial Arts actually looked like, and that these were the "serious opponents" bruce lee fought that gave him his "credibility."

youtube.com/watch?v=S19VsB7__v0

Not that user, but being exposed to judo and knowing judo are worlds apart mate.

fuckin lol

This is the ugly truth no one wants to face. Bruce Lee revolutionized the TMA world by saying train all the combat sports, pick your favorite moves, and bam there you go. Which is modern day MMA. But for some reason no one wants to admit that the MMA chads are the modern day realization of Bruce Lee's ideal I guess, so JKD and bruce lee worship continues on to this day.

Yeah but he trained at the seattle dojo. Why is everyone ignoring this. I don't know why everyones ignoring this

Attached: 1522443830117.gif (500x376, 1023K)

mate just shut up lol fag

Here's Bruce Lee doing "full contact sparring." Make your own decisions.

you got a cite for that mate? Closest I can find is that he taught people kung fu at the seattle dojo, and "talked with" some other people who seem like they're trying to ride the bruce lee train all the way to payday town.

Your full of shit mate. Bruce trained grappling with Gene LeBell

Not that user, but I think it's all from second hand biographies. At most he trained Judo for a year (which, as a Judoka, means you don't really know much). How much of that time was spent actually training instead of shooting the shit, signing autographs, or expounding on how great he was is unknown. His actual fighting skill level is unknown. That's why the mystique continues. That, and cowboy bebop. Luckily though, both Bruce Lee and Cowboy Bebop are fading from modern culture, and in 20 years no one will worship him quite like they do today.

Street fighting was the culture of Hong Kong at the time. No one knows how good they actually were but the topic is really interesting and its cool that it was going on in the first place.

>Wong Shun Leung was a Chinese martial artist from Hong Kong who studied Wing Chun kung fu under Ip Man (葉問)[1] and was credited with training Bruce Lee.[2][3][4][5] In interviews, Wong claimed to have won at least 60, and perhaps over 100, street fights against martial artists of various styles, though these numbers cannot be independently confirmed.[3][6][7][8][9] Due to his reputation, his students and admirers referred to him as 'Gong Sau Wong' (講手王 or 'King of Talking Hands').[3][7][10][11][12] Wong recorded one instructional film entitled Wing Chun: The science of in-fighting.[13]

>according to Wong and his students, he became active in beimo (比武): semi-organised bare-knuckle challenge fights in Hong Kong (sometimes known as 'kung fu elimination contests').[26] Supposedly there were no rules, protective equipment, or time limits.[3] As Wong recalled in an interview, "When I competed, it was in secret. We went into a room, and the door was shut and there were no rules. The government did not allow them. They were illegal, but we didn't care. We fought until the other guy was knocked out."[6] Beimo competitions were believed to be held anywhere that was found to be convenient. Some beimo competitions were held on the streets in Hong Kong.

Attached: wong_kick03.jpg (217x327, 46K)

I remember reading in one of the biographies that he learned judo there and even gave a name of one of the instructors and they're on the seattle dojo wiki page but I forgot which one

Mainland chinese fights were different from Hong Kong ones. Hong Kong is like New York CIty

I'm sure it was totally legit and not shit. Got any videos to back that up? I mean, any videos, whatsoever? Like, from the 50's to now? Anything at all?

There's fighting footage of him on youtube.

The thing is back when he was around there was no ufc or pride and they did martial arts sparring competitions.

I'm not gonna bother finding the footage you can yourself.

It's been posted. It looks like the usual tippy tap point sparring that's been seen a thousand times. He would get annihilated by even low level ammy fighters.

Fighting was illegal in Hong Kong back then. Bruce knew Wan Chai Man and he is kind of from that era he is a famous Hong Kong triad that was friends with him.

youtube.com/watch?v=aQWb82aaOaM
youtube.com/watch?v=cNw6gbMWoNI

>figthing records
*unsheates fist*
heh. you are below my personal records of victims. amateur...

where was the fighting the first video? saw some movie clips, but otherwise I might have missed it?

second one is a kickboxing match, where white pants fights some random karate guy (lol), who is not going full force (lol at the kick at 3:15), and then hits a random flail haymaker. Is...is this the true power of kung fu? Bad kickboxing?

Bruce Lee had high-level kicking and reflexes, but would get taken down and wrestle-fucked by any competent grappler.

Attached: 1522166608020.jpg (750x852, 127K)

Yowza. I guess fighting has come a long way.

No credible fightan history = not a real fighter.

most of his 'legend' is cope but theres one part which is interesting

when he lived in california he worked out with bodybuilders and gained considerable mass (given the culture there its possible he even roided) but decided to lose the weight as he reasoned effective strength came from tendons not muscle, and being bulky would just slow him down

so did he make an informed choice to be smaller in order to fight more effectively, or was he wrong?

The second one was a wan chai man fight and the first one was about wan chai man himself. As for the fighting itself I'm not really sure, there could be a lot factors. The fight could be fixed seeing as there is some shady people participating in it, kung fu itself may not be best performed in rings/octagons. You can diss kung fu but then what about their history with their warriors, the Japanese as well. So I don't know I only bring the facts

Its amazing how I have seen time and time again that a person is fair to good at his given profession, dies young, and becomes a deity. Hendrix, Morrison and Cobain come to mind. IMO, not nearly as good as history would like you to think. If Bruce had lived would he have ended up like Segal? I doubt it would be THAT bad, but probably more like Norris. Chuck actually WAS a badass fighter who DID win championships, and even with all that he became a meme. I think Bruce would have ended up more like Van Damme. Meh......who knows. In the end, I think Bruce was mostly a bullshitter, but a good one.

Impossible, no man could kick as fast as you appeared to.

Sounds like the motivation for a kung fu flick villain.

MMA experts are really impressed by his moves and book to this day. probably not a developed fighter compared to ones today, but he was ahead of his time for sure.

Attached: braids.jpg (640x420, 150K)

I do

I'm the same age he was back then

At least my life is in order though.

watch this, faggot!

no, bruce lee was was way ahead in his time. hes a legend just like tyson is.

His style is basicly MMA, its supposed to be evolving with time. to bad he died early

oh and ofc he wouldnt be a great fighter, he was a small dude

Wow, that is the weakest shit I have ever seen

That's retarded. The skill difference should be huge in order for a small fighter to compensate for his lack of mass. That is why weight classes exist you dumb ass.

This

Fucking nerds have never seen The Three Amigos