/csg/ - Combat Sports General

this is so that 15 "what martial art should I learn???" threads don't shit up the catalog at once

>Why start learning?
Defend yourself
It's fun
It's god-tier cardio.

>What start learning?
If you're interested in striking arts, try boxing, or Muay Thai if you're less interested in mobility, head movement, but more interested in learning elbows, knees, and kicks.

>But grappling?
BJJ schools are the easiest to come by, but wrestling is going to give you the most control on the ground, while also letting you fight to stay standing if you don't want to be taken down.

Catch wrestling is for sick cunts, if you can find a gym for it.
snakepitusa.com/about-us/locations/

>OFFSEASON LIFTING FOR COMBAT SPORTS
You're going to want to develop explosive ability for high reps, especially in your lower body. Do something like Westside for Skinny Bastards III
defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3/
That's
MONDAY – Max-Effort Upper Body
TUESDAY – Dynamic-Effort Lower Body
WEDNESDAY – Off
THURSDAY – Repetition Upper Body
FRIDAY – Max-Effort Lower Body
SATURDAY – Off
SUNDAY – Off

Be wary of pseudoscience regarding martial arts (not just trad martial art kata faggotry).
While routines with high-volume pull ups and dips have their uses, even Western boxers are notorious for things like chugging their own piss.

>Weight cutting basics
grapplearts.com/how-to-cut-and-make-weight/

Attached: jacare2[1].jpg (1200x675, 117K)

>TFW you do BJJ but you're not allowed to learn takedowns or else you'll be sent to Rio De Jinero to work on Renzo Gracie's personal acai plantation

I just wanted to do heel hooks

Attached: 1522638790251.jpg (1484x2158, 1007K)

>complaining about not learning TDs
>just wanted to do heel hooks

Are you prohibited from imanari rolling too? proper TD should land you in side control, and even if you fuck up you'll be in guard not the place for leg locks

I had to put on a second VPN for this

If I imanari roll, the IBJJF will come after me. In my country, the international federation has more political sway than the government itself - and they HATE leg locks. I have to pull guard and say "Oss, master Helio" each time a match starts

glad you included the lack of mobility and headmovement in muay thai. Alot of people don't know what they're getting into when they start kickboxing and think they're getting the best of both worlds. Kickboxing is around 70% kicks and muay thai in specific is lacking of boxing fundamentals. For example most of the times buakaw has been in trouble in his career was from a guy with better boxing infact he had to learn boxing itself once he entered K1. Also Rose kod and gave Joanna trouble in their rematch because Joanna's boxing defence wasn't there. Not necessarily hate just trying to be informative, I personally enjoy muay thai I like the grit and heart of it.

Attached: Context+is+for+nerds_547453_6580013.jpg (1200x983, 149K)

If your school legitimately won't let you learn takedowns, switch schools. That's a load of horseshit, you'll be ill-prepared for competition and real life application.

Heel hooks though, that's understandable. It's easy for someone with less experience to fuck up the lock and cause serious damage to their rolling partner. We teach our white belts *how* to heel hook in drills, just because it's better to show them than let it be a forbidden fruit, but we ban using them in live rolling until blue belt.

I get it man, wrestle+boxers vs BJJ+Muay Thai has been the age old debate; I think the wrestleboxers are taking over right now though

At my school we just show them straight ankle locks to keep them placated until they're blue belts or above. Works pretty well.

>once a week gi or no-gi bjj, depending on schedules
>once a week standup wrestling/takedown class
>three times a week jim
>three times a week yoga

This schedule seems optimal, been doing it about a year. If I add bjj or strenght training or cut yoga I start to get all kinds of nagging pains that are hard to distinguish from muscle soreness.

Attached: 1519526373473.webm (711x400, 2.78M)

Why da fuq they didn't tie their hair

>Want to kickbox
>Don't want brain damage

Attached: 1488487676516.png (658x545, 176K)

Idk

Attached: 1519526751562.webm (711x400, 2.8M)

If you do enough sparring, you realize that a life without combat sports is not a life you will enjoy.

I play a drill called shoulders and knees with my friends when we feel like boxing but don't have gloves.

Basically, you slapbox, and if you tag a shoulder or a knee, then the guy who got hit needs to do push ups/squats. etc. It's emulates headshots/bodyshots, or headshots/takedown attempts if you wish

Not that guy but sounds fun Ill try this

It's weird, old /asp/ was convinced by bjj/Mt but the opinion seems to be gradually shifting towards wrasslin as the best to learn.
Only problem is it barely exists outside Burger Country. I'm living in Asia for work and it literally doesn't exist here. Tons of BJJ/judo/Mt though

So this is the gay version of /mag/ from /asp/?

>hiding behind couch because the Telly Police are outside the door looking for TV license
>hear a rumbling sound
>Joe Rogan jumps down my chimney and bursts into the living room screaming about a leg-locks and takedowns license
>puts Gracie family photo up on the wall and we bow and shout OSSSSSS for three hours
>then he lets the TV License man inside

Such is life in the UK

Attached: 1493245860335.jpg (121x176, 5K)

Bump of cocaine

I think you'd find it hard to progress in BJJ on once a week

Might be better to spend more time getting that right, then add wrasslin if you want something extra

I would be more worried about leg injuries.

Bump

>>OFFSEASON LIFTING FOR COMBAT SPORTS
What about lifting on days you don't fight (striking arts), i.e. working out 5-6 days a week? I've only heard that one should work shoulders the day after a boxing session and never before in order to not fuck them up, but other days...? Or is it counterproductive?

Once I hit my goal weight I'll probably cut down the gym to two times a week and add more bjj. I have some people who started the same time as I did and I'm still evenly matched with most, even though pretty much everyone of them do bjj at least 3-4 times a week. So I'm pretty happy with my progress.

Attached: 1519526950191.webm (711x400, 2.86M)

>tfw fucked up my ankle a week before I compete
Why can’t God just turn me in Ray-Man so I have no joints?

Attached: 6A079BA1-137F-4E9E-B4B9-29B1DD6E890E.png (816x395, 194K)

In wrestling we play a game with the kids called “laces.” You try and touch the laces of your opponent. It’s not the best game for building good wrestling fundamentals, but it’s fun and encourages quickness and reaction time.

>If I add bjj or strenght training or cut yoga I start to get all kinds of nagging pains

Attached: 1525305621802.png (381x353, 32K)

I'm currently doing grappling/gym 5x/week and yoga 3x/week. That's the max I can handle while feeling good. I don't understand what's stupid about it.

Attached: 1519527128314.webm (711x400, 2.8M)

I'm just teasing you by saying you're an old man with joint pains mate

don't get hit then