/PLG/ Powerlifting General

welcome to the incel support group

enjoy your stay

a thread for fake athletes to cope about their lack of athletic ability

Attached: powerlifting.jpg (1345x790, 147K)

first for ur waifu is a thot

That picture hits close to home

In for push/pull offseason with 80% of work dedicated to upper body hypertrophy LADS

But she bought me lobster.

Fourth for not bullying peoples wheyfus

but you don't lift?

i'm a weak bitch

Attached: 1501818667089.png (657x527, 29K)

I can front squat more than MA and he cannot prove elsewise

Attached: brekky.jpg (2732x2605, 866K)

I like dressing casual because I do not have autism

Neither can you

You and everyone else who doesn't e stat lol

casual is trash

shorts are bad

casual shirts are bad

casual pants are inferior

ooooh owie ooooh my glute?? or maybe sciatica??

ooooh owie

T shirts?
Shorts are great. I always wear shorts when I can.

You’re gonna look like a goober wearing dress apparel to a friends breakfast

They're comfy and easy to wear

Panzer the type of nigga to wear a suit during a workout

I bought shorts and 2 casual shirts but I dont like it

do you think it is appropriate to wear summer colors yet?

I have a very nice light blue t-shirt I want to wear to my training session (I call it training session because I am an athlete) tomorrow but it might be too early in the season

thanks for the (You)s friends!

coping that

A) I am stronger than you

B) I am more athletic than you

C) I have superior tastes in clothing

you forgot

D) I'm more of a virgin loser than you

Focusing on hypertrophy (thus focusing on volume increase) as a novice sets up a better base of development for further strength gains as opposed to focusing on strength gains (intensity increases) straight out the gate. This is supported by top experts in the field such as Dr. Mike Israetel, Greg Nuckols, Chad Wesley Smith, and Jordan Feigenbaum.
Prove me wrong.

Attached: Scientific_Princibles_of_Strength_Training_301.png (1597x910, 120K)

I could say all this to you.

Wouldn't it be better to increase your strength first so that when you do your first hypertrophy phase, you can progressively overload for longer rather than getting stuck 2 weeks in cause u weak shit

hmmmmm i wonder what'll give greater hypertrophy for a novice or early intermediate, squatting 1pl8 or squatting 3pl8

Volume increases are progressive overload. And if you wanted to you could still increase intensity just don't make it priority one during a hypertrophy phase.

Hmmm. Well developing a good amount of muscle mass prior to developing strength would allow you to achieve that 3pl8 squat faster in all likelihood rather than permabulking your way through the novice progression. If you'd like citations I can offer them.

You’re a goober m8

Always talk down the food chain

Chad Wesley Smith is a 1000lbs squatter on record, and during his hypertrophy phases he's usually only squatting in the mid 400's which is around 50% of his max. Anything more than 50-60% of your max will grow you at close to maximum rates so long as you go close to failure (RPE7-10).

Attached: chad_wesley_smith_profile.jpg (550x367, 84K)

>CWS
>hitting 1000lbs on his squat

pick one friend

>developing a good amount of muscle mass
not gonna happen any time soon by squatting 1pl8
>would allow you to achieve that 3pl8 squat faster in all likelihood rather than permabulking your way through the novice progression.
literally the only people who are sleeping 8+ hours, eating at a slight caloric surplus with enough protein, have decent technique, and yet can't get 3pl8 easily within a few months on SS, are ultra GDEs.

rippletits says that over the decades he's tried a lot of different things, then gradually refined it, and eventually stuck with what works best to get heavier lifts. originally he used some machines, alternate rep schemes, high rep work, hypertrophy/strength phases, etc.
eventually he found that what works best for a novice is 3 sets of 5, with weight increasing every time.
even though it's not peer reviewed and published, i trust him and his literal thousands of trainees (and the people in his forum) rather than "eh, nuckols said maybe, who knows". tens of thousands of anecdotal data points become a pretty significant statistic.

entirely irrelevant
him squatting at 50% elicits a completely different response (even in relative terms) than a novice squatting at 50%.

Does he even front squat regularly?

I cant front squat

it just feels so fucking weird

does it get better lads?

Does anyone have a link to the Vertical Diet?

I've front squatted ~5 times in the last 6 months

>even though it's not peer reviewed and published, i trust him and his literal thousands of trainees (and the people in his forum) rather than "eh, nuckols said maybe, who knows".

I can respect that, but don't tell me it's based on modern periodization practice.

>him squatting at 50% elicits a completely different response (even in relative terms) than a novice squatting at 50%.

This is entirely true. It's why typically smaller lifters can handle more frequency, training volume, and relative intensities than larger lifters. That being said, I still want novices lifting with 5 reps starting out even if increasing intensity isn't the goal. If a lifter squats 135 for 5 at RPE 7 he's still getting around 80% of his max, which I think even you would agree isn't low intensity. The difference is I want to focus on volume increases AT FIRST before focusing on intensity increase to refine that developed strength.

Attached: miket-rpe.png (1165x274, 29K)

same, then I set my stance out a little wider than my standard squat stance and it all kinda clicked for me. my ankle dorsiflexion is shit so I gotta go wider so that I can get to a decent depth and still keep an upright torso. one of my favorite lifts now desu

One thing I forgot to mention is if a novice feels like he's throwing around a weight that used to be light i'm obviously going to have them up the weight, but the key to achieving hypertrophy isn't to put as much weight on their squat as possible. That's what you want to do when you develop strength, but strength can only be applied to the amount of muscle mass you currently have and if you have none, you won't get that strong.

Hopefully you can respect that.

*That used to be heavy

Fuck me with the typos

you might want to look up what hormonal response a few heavy sets of 5 cause in a novice

I'm too fucking hot, and uncomfortable and not tired at all.

Hates nights like tonight

>making fun of noobs trying to better themselves
Neck ys

>hormonal response

Attached: 1512349499526.png (600x720, 65K)

There's another difference: That 1k squat is straight bar with wraps while Chad likes to do his offseason work with the SSB, sleeves and often no belt. He's not going to be able to take 900 with that setup so the percentages are a little off.

where is the chad part?

What about it?

I didn’t think of that but you’re right. That would tell us he’s using higher intensity than I previously thought, but that being said it doesn’t negate my claim about focusing on volume for hypertrophy.

> This is supported by top experts in the field such as Dr. Mike Israetel

>Dr. Mike Israetel
>Israetel
>Israel

your not gonna steal my gains kike

I've been lifting 4 years but I've never successfully managed to finish a cut.

Would anyone like to cut with me? Starting today.

Realistically, that max weight low volume stuff is more peaking than developing strength. It's a necessary skill in powerlifting but it isn't strictly required to get strong.

you know i could destroy you little pipsqueek

Attached: pepe89.jpg (250x173, 6K)

even you know that isn't true friend

bitch ill fuck you up boi

I'm a noob and only squat 185 for 5. Will I be strong one day after years of hard work and training?

Attached: 1524700707538.jpg (650x500, 82K)

I thought one day I might be strong and I never was

>not wanting to be huge
you're on your own big dog

I dream of one summers day where I only wear a pair of shorts sandals and sunglassrs to pick up beer and everyone's mirin

forgot your trip friend

Attached: 1516552393097.gif (645x773, 19K)

needs more black pud

How bad does a herniated disk hurt? Worried I did since Ive had pretty bad pain in my low back/hips/glutes for about a week now. Anything above 315 is hard to do rn(both pain wise and physically) when my max is 475.

really fucking bad, like any kind of movement is really bad

i don't need no trip to fuck u up bitch boi

:) ok friend

thanks for the you boi. i'll spare you this time

i appreciate your consideration friend :) i hope you have a nice time zone appropriate period of time :)

Exactly. I think you may have just proven my point.

But user, he's more jacked than you AND has a PhD

Attached: jacked jew.jpg (900x1600, 102K)

some are completely asymptomatic (seriously there's some sizeable percentage of the population, especially older people, walking around with herniated discs that don't even know it), some feel like , and anything between those two extremes i'd imagine

go see a doctor if it persists

I fucked up my life looooool

Thinking I might take up alcoholism and poverty as a part time profession

I graduated

Attached: 20180503_095948.webm (960x540, 2.04M)

Test

>step counter says 16000
and so do my hamstrings ouchie owie

Attached: 1504499905376.jpg (263x192, 8K)

im recovering from one now, and when it happened, i went to the ER as soon as i could stand on my legs again. it's like someone stabbed me with a ice knife in the back, and as soon as it hits, its like a wall socket is connected from your lower back and your leg, and there is nothing you can do, you loose complete control of your entire lowback and leg for like 15-20 min.
you would know if it happened to you.

and the doctors told me i had a small one...

My calves get pretty fucked after a lot of walking

>cannot prove elsewise

Neither can you, Captain autismo.

>muscle soreness after 16000 steps

hwat

it's a powerlifter thing sweetie. you wouldn't know

>he's so unfit that walking is a powerlifting movement

Goodbyes sides you'll be missed

okay twink

pushing around loaded carts and climbing up stairs too.
and it's not like DOMS or anything, it's just discomfort.

>guy in yellow
>milk trucc

the reason SS / SL are good for beginners is not because they are good programs, but because they are simple as all shit.

Let them learn the basics of lifting before you move them into more complex programming.

>always struggle to eat in mornings
>eat breakfast as late as 2pm
>had a few beers yesterday
>woke up hungry as fuck and ate my breakfast at 9
wtf should I be drinking beers everyday now? I don't want to become an alcoholic.

>Jordan Feigenbaum.
And yet he still advocates SS.

Give a beginner more volume than 3-5x5 and you'll just engrain shit movement competency because being under the bar is a new skill. Bear in mind what these novice programs are intended for.
After 8-12 weeks of getting stronger and learning your arse from your elbow then fair enough, start adding volume and working on size as a goal too.
There's a reasonable argument against chasing intensity a la Texas Method at this point, fair enough. But for a novice the completely new stimulus of barbell training via a basic LP will add some size still, whilst also satisfying a need to get stronger and not being too much for someone without the endurance or skill to hold technique together for too high reps/too many sets.

I'd personally add a bit more accessory work for the upper back, biceps etc but overall for the first 2-3 months the basic template of an LP is fine.

>lift the bar
>don't count the bar.
Ok

>got jewed to read one meme pdf now he thinks he knows everything

jesus

how did it happen and are you still powerlifting?

sounds like yours was very severe. I had trouble walking when it happend but i still could

>it's like someone stabbed me with a ice knife in the back, and as soon as it hits, its like a wall socket is connected from your lower back and your leg
this is exactly how it felt

how do I identify why my lower back/oblique/glute hurts?
It’s painful if I bend too much or if I cough kek

You didn't just have a disc hernia. You had a disk exodus out of egypt, fám.

Stop bending and coughing then lol.

Is it true that shorter men, lighter men and women have an easier time training and lifting (and make quicker gains) because they aren't lifting as heavy weight as heavyweights and supers? The SRA curve for heavier and more advanced lifters is longer because the absolute intensity is greater which means they need longer time to recover from sessions. This leads to potentially fewer training sessions and slower muscle and strength gains. I'm wondering because my coach is programming me with the same intensity as other manlet lifters at our gym while I'm a lot heavier and taller. Due to my anatomy I'm not as efficient when moving the bar since I have to go through a longer range of motion and thus have to use more force which induces more muscular damage, whereas a shorter, lighter lifter is by physical definition more efficient with his technique and can train more frequently because less overall muscular damage is induced.

>Is it true that shorter men, lighter men and women have an easier time training and lifting (and make quicker gains) because they aren't lifting as heavy weight as heavyweights and supers?
yes, absolutely

look at the difference in Sheiko templates for Fedorenko vs. someone like Sivokon

While true, this mostly applies to more advanced lifters. You need to be doing some pretty hefty shit before it's a major issue in training. Also new guys in the big classes tend to have issues more as a result of shitty work capacity than the extra ROM. One of those things can be fixed.

It doesn't work out to quicker gains though. The tradeoff for greater stress per set/workout is that you don't need as much to get equivalent results. Also small PRs come easier because it's a smaller percentage of the bar weight.

It's absolutely true. Is your coach adjusting your training volume? You probably can't handle as much frequency or volume as some of the smaller weaker guys. How long have you been training? Numbers? This'll help assess what you need.