Jow Forums Food Thread

Is pasta + pesto the ultimate clean bulking dish?

Pesto is made from leafy greens, nuts, grated cheese, and olive oil. The nuts and cheese have all the fat and protein you need, the greens have healthy carbs and vitamins, and the olive oil has a ton of calories. Plus, all you need to make it is a food processor or blender (and a skillet if you want to toast your nuts and garlic). Check this recipe:

>Spinach Basil Pesto
>1 cup baby spinach leaves
>1/2 cup basil leaves
>1/2 cup walnuts or pine nuts (or almonds, cashews, etc.)
>a handful of pistachios (for color)
>4 cloves garlic
>1/2 cup grated parmesan and/or pecorino cheese
>3/4 tsp salt
>3/4 tsp pepper
>a pinch of sugar
>juice and zest from half a lemon
>as much extra virgin olive oil as you need to get a good consistency (~1/2 cup)

Finely chop your garlic and throw it in a hot skillet with some extra virgin olive oil. Cook the nuts and garlic until it's all toasty but not burnt. Add that to your food processor and blend. Add the spinach and basil, plus a couple tablespoons of oil, and blend. Add your spices and blend. Add your cheese last and blend again. Once you've blended all of your ingredients, slowly pour olive oil into your mixture until you get the consistency you want. Best if served fresh or reheated after 1-2 days in the fridge. You can also make larger batches and freeze it in an ice cube tray, but if you do this make sure not to add any cheese. Cheese doesn't do well with freezing, so make sure to always add the cheese right before you plan to use the sauce.

I paired the pesto I made yesterday with some store-bought spinach cheese tortellini. It was fucking great. Pic isn't mine but that's basically what it looked like. I have no idea what the macros are because counting calories is for nerds so go look it up yourself.

Let's have a Jow Forums food thread.

Attached: spinach tortellini with pesto.jpg (1000x750, 147K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medicalxpress.com/news/2018-04-pasta-healthy-diet-pounds.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>not eating steaks every day
enjoy your shit gains fag

You can eat steak with a side of pasta & pesto, familia. Steak's expensive af, though.

This is one of my all time favorite dishes, but the amount of olive oil in it is what takes it from clean to dirty bulk territory imho. Still IIFYM since all the ingredients are top tier.

my family has plenty of livestock so I get top tier meat and dairy for free no fux given

Very good user! Now did you bring enough to share with everyone?

Yeah, pesto pasta is god tier. fucking tasty, rich in calories (the good kind) and just excellent food all over. Goes well with any type of meat and salad.

sadly it's something you need to stay away from when cutting, so i can't indulge atm.

good thread though, OP

fuck off commie

>pasta
>'clean' bulk

>Carbohydrates get a lot of bad press and blame for the obesity epidemic, but a new study suggests that this negative attention may not be deserved for pasta.

>Unlike most 'refined' carbohydrates, which are rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, pasta has a low glycemic index, meaning it causes smaller increases in blood sugar levels than those caused by eating foods with a high glycemic index.

>Researchers at St. Michael's Hospital undertook a systematic review and meta-analysis of all of the available evidence from randomized controlled trials, the gold standard of research design. They identified 30 randomized control trials involving almost 2,500 people who ate pasta instead of other carbohydrates as part of a healthy low-glycemic index diet. Their results were published today in the journal BMJ Open.

>"The study found that pasta didn't contribute to weight gain or increase in body fat," said lead author Dr. John Sievenpiper, a clinician scientist with the hospital's Clinical Nutrition and Risk Modification Centre. "In fact analysis actually showed a small weight loss. So contrary to concerns, perhaps pasta can be part of a healthy diet such as a low GI diet."

Published one month ago. Get rekt riceniggers.

medicalxpress.com/news/2018-04-pasta-healthy-diet-pounds.html

Attached: spaghetti and marinara.jpg (1536x1027, 431K)

>Some of the authors have received prior research grants, in-kind donations of pasta for a randomized controlled trial, and travel support from the pasta maker Barilla.

Nice study, faggot

Attached: 44e.jpg (400x400, 21K)

was meant for

Pasta is tasty but mixing refined carbs with fat = mitochondrial overload. Also, pasta has zero fiber, so it's easy to overeat, fucks up your insulin sensitivity. Also gluten is pretty bad for your gut and immune system. Stick to brown rice and legumes and eat your protein with fats, and carbs with fiber.

listen to this guy

everyone is different and but pasta is not recommended

Wholewheat pasta, less fat with it? Pasta + veggies + protein (or add lentils) sounds good.

Ditch the mutated grass. You're eating my food's food.

Sure thing, boi. I'll eat your food too.

Pesto is real good on top of a salmon fillet

LMAO he hasn't learned how to share! Sure used that farmboy life to your advantage, huh?! LOL

Attached: 1508180085070.jpg (348x321, 29K)

>Also, pasta has zero fiber

Attached: 1427774458122.png (625x918, 587K)

Is there any cheese I can eat while I'm on a cut aside from cottage? I want something for my turkey sandwhich

Ricotta.

I just eat half a kilo of raw cabbage with every meal. That shit has no calories, perfect cutting food to fill myself with.

Oh fuck yes

>pasta
>clean

What's the real difference between ricotta and cottage?
I wanna make cottage but I'm going crazy cause I always end up with ricotta and online recipes for cottage are actually ricotta