Squat racks

What does Jow Forums think about portable squat racks? I don't have the money or the space for a power cage. Are these things sturdy enough for squatting? I'm quite a newcomer to training but i want equipment that will last. Any recommendations?

Attached: Portable-Squat-Rack.jpg (500x500, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Valor-Fitness-BD-9-Power-Squat/dp/B006CW02ZS
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NAHQP90/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1525638987&sr=1-9&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=power rack&dpPl=1&dpID=41O2WcXCB2L&ref=plSrch
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump this looks like a gr8 idea.

A gym I used to go to had those and I used them any time the power cage was taken.

They get the job done.

I'm assuming they will have a maximum weight which is a lot lower then a cage. And I'm a bit worried that, since they aren't attached to each other, u could potentially knock one away which could be dangerous. In Jow Forums's experience are my concerns unfounded? They seem like a great space saver

It looks like screw holes in the bottom. I say bolt them down on a thick board.

>Are these things sturdy enough for squatting?
What the hell do you think they are for?

Thanks for your constructive comment. I'm not an idiot, but i wanted opinions on whether these things sacrificed too much core functionality for their portability. They are obviously not as good as a cage, but i wasnt sure if they did a reasonable job or are marketed to people who would use them once and stick them in the garage.

I have a set deaigned to take 200kg. Amazon had them cheap. They were ok until the pins broke. And the safety bars. Do not recommend.

depends on which ones you get.

just recently bought my buddy the valor fitness bd-9 set. shit was super easy to setup, and the max rated weight for the catches on top and on the bench catches are higher than you're ever likely to hit.

amazon.com/Valor-Fitness-BD-9-Power-Squat/dp/B006CW02ZS

only downsize is it's one of the more expensive sets of them, but worth it because they fucking last.

Attached: 71XHcKQNfIL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 108K)

Thanks, thats really useful. I'll have a look ast the ones you recommend - like you say it's worth spending a bit more if it means they aren't gonna need replacing. Much appreciated.

there are good squat stands and there are bad squat stands

if space is such a constraint (and presumably there are no gyms are nearby), you can get by with other, more compact equipment (e.g. Bulgarian split squats with kettlebells)

If you've got space to lift you gotta have space for some sort of better rack. That looks like a death trap and doesn't give you the ability to do chins, dips, band stuff, rack pulls, and a lot of other lifts particularly partials. You should get something with adjustable safeties for squatting and benching without a spotter so you can push yourself without worrying as much if you fail a rep. If you really are that limited on space you'll probably break something in that space like a wall if you drop your weights without a cage and safeties.

You can get cages for like $200 or less new (possibly cheaper used) and you'll get more out of them than you would with the rack you're looking at. If you gotta bail the weights and choose between hurting yourself or your home/furniture/vehicle with the barbell you'll probably end up spending more long term.

Attached: 1521966431175.jpg (700x2622, 560K)

>max rated weight is higher than you're ever likely to hit
I'm at 405 lb squat. Chances are these things would last me 2 years tops.

This.

How can you have space to walk out a squat and bend over with a barbell, but not enough for a power cage?

I move country a fair bit for work and so its difficult to have a permanent installation. When I was looking at cages it kinda implied that once set up its not easily taken down again.... but it would be good to know if this isn't the case?

Currently I exercise in my garden - i have a gazebo set up, but it's a bit miserable when it rains. But as I mentioned above I'm due to move country in a few months. I'm really focused on training right now so I want equipment that can keep me improving, but that works with my circumstances. In an ideal world I'd definitely have a cage.

not him, but: the Strength Shop (UK) one i had was essentially a collection of pipes held together with bolts. it wasn't terribly difficult to assemble or disassemble

Oh no worries about taking them down again man the cheap ones are basically going to just be some metal bars and pipes that you would screw together. They'll probably ship you a box and you would assemble it yourself so you would also be able to disassemble it. Notice all the screws in pic related. Make sure you consider max weight of your bars and the rack as well for how long they will be valuable to your training. If you get something nice that lasts the rest of your life you're better off than a lot of the equipment some gyms may get that can't handle things like rack pulls or heavy deadlifts.

If you can take all your weights, barbells, and the rack you had in your OP image when you move then you can most likely take pic related too. If you've go room to overhead press then you have room to get a power rack. This might be a good option for you amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NAHQP90/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1525638987&sr=1-9&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=power rack&dpPl=1&dpID=41O2WcXCB2L&ref=plSrch

Attached: 41O2WcXCB2L._SY400_.jpg (400x400, 20K)

Ok, thats really interesting, thanks. Maybe I was too hasty in ruling out a cage. If i can disassemble it then transportation isn't a problem. Great, im glad i made this thread, im gonna compare options and have a think. Thanks for all the advice!

I've personally seen Clarence Kennedy squat 310kg using those stands. That's 682lbs for you burgers.

great for a beginner just trying to make it there, don't you think?

max rated weight says 500lb. you gonna hit a 500lb squat within the next 6 months you estatting faggot

I have been using these for months, Proressed from 65kg squat up too 85kg

Bonus, raised high enough I can also perform pull ups using my bar and also dips on the safety’s!

10/10 would definitely recommend

Damn bruh, why you so salty? lol you probably been lifting for a long ass time and still lift bitch weight haha. No hard feelings, right bruh?

I prefer them. They are great. Get a reputable brand though, I have seen (and worked out on) some fairly shotty ones and you can easily fuck your day up. I think ivanko makes a really nice setup, check it out.

Unoronically bags of sand or weights.