A critique of the scientific validity of the dietary advice in Men’s Health magazine discovered nuggets claiming meat...

A critique of the scientific validity of the dietary advice in Men’s Health magazine discovered nuggets claiming meat can give men “a testosterone boost,” but we’ve known for a quarter century that a meal with that much fat drops testosterone levels by nearly one-third within hours. In fact, a significant drop of both free and bound testosterone in the bloodstream occurs within just one hour of it going in one’s mouth, whereas a low-fat meal of mostly carbs has no such effect.

Based on in vitro studies on the effects of fat on testicle cells in a petri dish, researchers suspect fat in the blood may actually suppress testosterone production in real time. If you feed people lots of eggs and meat, including fish and poultry, and then switch them to a diet with bread, fruit, vegetables, and sugar—but about the same amount of fat—all their testosterone levels go up. Even more importantly, however, all their levels of cortisol, a stress hormone produced by our adrenal glands, go down.

Attached: 5B9ADE2D-7E15-4FA2-B708-C1D5A08CC379.jpg (3840x2160, 667K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20091182
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nice sources fag

>he wants to listen to this guy's opinion on how to have optimum testosterone

Attached: E01FC4BB-A1AE-4CC9-9F46-A2412015B62D-2016-0000016C1967C6D6.jpg (400x300, 168K)

A true s o y boy

I unironically read that in his voice.

Dr. Greger pls go. You're half blind, bald, with the bone density of my grandma. No i won't buy your book.

Wtf is with the spots on his head? Is anything about greger healthy?

>If you feed people lots of eggs and meat, including fish and poultry, and then switch them to a diet with bread, fruit, vegetables, and sugar—but about the same amount of fat—all their testosterone levels go up. Even more importantly, however, all their levels of cortisol, a stress hormone produced by our adrenal glands, go down.

That's because low carbs is correlated with a lower testosterone:cortisol ratio. When the protein intake is too high for your carbs intake, cortisol increases (because protein's amino acids trigger insulin which lowers blood sugar and if not enough glucose is supplied through food the body triggers cortisol to produce glucose from your muscles) and thus suppress testosterone. So this wouldn't happen in a diet of meat/eggs with enough carbs.

>Statistical analysis (ANCOVA) revealed the Free-Testosterone/Cortisol ratio decreased significantly (p < 0.01) from pre-study resting measurement (Pre 1) to the final post-study resting measurement (Rest) in the low-Carbohydrates group (-43%), but no change occurred (p > 0.05) in the control-Carbohydrates group (-3%)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20091182

Post body
J/k. Nice rebuttal

>>eating fat drops testosterone levels by nearly one third within hours

Just like how eating anything with calories drops testosterone during and shortly after digestion.
It doesn't mean shit, what matters is long term changes in hormones.

what's this? anons know about the postprandial serum testosterone drop and don't get baited into a veganism debate? today I'm proud of you Jow Forums.

I had no idea this was a thing. Does it affect lifting?

>the way 1 (ONE) guy looks invalidates all the scientific literature he is citing

Attached: 1507291320349.png (800x729, 48K)

There aren’t many strong natural vegans. Most of them fit the stereotype. I wonder why.

The guys classified as strong on Jow Forums aren't natural either, so that doesn't say anything.

Then let’s go back to 19th century strongmen. I don’t recall any of them being vegan, and those guys would put a lot of today’s roidheads to shame.

Do you even realize that animal products were a luxury back then?

sources?

Nah, you don't need citations or anything, we'll just believe anything you say without credibility!

Attached: 1524501219150.jpg (480x600, 20K)

About the Saxon bros
From Muscle Power Magazine, courtesy of Joe Weider:

For breakfast they ate 24 eggs and 3 pounds of smoked bacon; porridge with cream, honey, marmalade and tea with plenty of sugar. At three o’clock they had dinner: ten pounds of meat was consumed with vegetables (but not much potatoes); sweet fruits, raw or cooked, sweet cakes, salads, sweet puddings, cocoa and whipped cream and very sweet tea. Supper, after the show, they had cold meat, smoked fish, much butter, cheese and beer. Following this they had a chat and at one o’clock went to bed.

The Saxons did have a “health drink” which I presume they concocted themselves. The ingredients were dark lager beer (or Dublin stout) mixed with Holland gin, the yolk of an egg and plenty of sugar. “It is a very good but strong drink” was the Saxon opinion, “but, if you are not used to it you will get dizzy very quickly.” It seems to me that one would have to be a very strong man in the first place, in order to drink it.“

I believe I am right in asserting that our Creator has provided food and nutriment for every being for its own advantage. Man is born without frying-pan or stewpot. The purest natural food for human beings would, therefore, be fresh, uncooked food and nuts. It is not my intention to discuss here the old problem, whether meat is necessary as food for man or whether man was created and should remain a vegetarian. My experience has taught me that foodstuffs are of secondary importance. There are very strong people who are strict vegetarians, whilst others eat a good deal of meat. A fare which consists of three-quarters of vegetable food and one-quarter meat would appear to be the most satisfactory for the people of central Europe. – George Hackenschmidt

I am myself no believer in a special diet, still less in a rigid one, as necessary while training. – Eugen Sandow

I do not care for anything intoxicating (hard liquor), but do enjoy a beer or some wine on occasion. I never touch tea or coffee. I eat “plain”, wholesome food for the most part, but do “indulge” on occasion. I have my meals at regular intervals, and prefer simple foods that are easy to digest. I chew my food well and believe strongly that mastication is a key to good health. – Eugen Sandow

Eugen Sandow was a proponent of raw eggs and meat:

The old nonsense on this subject, about raw eggs and underdone meat, seems to be passing away, and more rational views now prevail. – Eugen Sandow

on the off chance your question is genuine:
after a meal the serum testosterone level decreases because together with the other nutrients the test gets taken up by the muscle cells so it doesn't just vanish into thin air.
and even if it did, we're talking about a relatively minor and transient variation.
so no, it doesn't (negatively) affect lifiting.

it was a genuine question
thanks

Vegans lying again, how shocking.

Holy fucking shit. Definitely saving this, but sageing the thread.

> based on in vitro studies...

Wow it's fucking nothing