/csg/ - Combat Sports General

this is so that 15 "what martial art should I learn???" threads don't shit up the catalog at once

>Why start learning?
Defend yourself
It's fun
It's god-tier cardio.

>What start learning?
If you're interested in striking arts, try boxing, or Muay Thai if you're less interested in mobility, head movement, but more interested in learning elbows, knees, and kicks.

>But grappling?
BJJ schools are the easiest to come by, but wrestling is going to give you the most control on the ground, while also letting you fight to stay standing if you don't want to be taken down.

Catch wrestling is for sick cunts, if you can find a gym for it.
snakepitusa.com/about-us/locations/

>OFFSEASON LIFTING FOR COMBAT SPORTS
You're going to want to develop explosive ability for high reps, especially in your lower body. Do something like Westside for Skinny Bastards III
defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3/
That's
MONDAY – Max-Effort Upper Body
TUESDAY – Dynamic-Effort Lower Body
WEDNESDAY – Off
THURSDAY – Repetition Upper Body
FRIDAY – Max-Effort Lower Body
SATURDAY – Off
SUNDAY – Off

Be wary of pseudoscience regarding martial arts (not just trad martial art kata faggotry).
While routines with high-volume pull ups and dips have their uses, even Western boxers are notorious for things like chugging their own piss.

>Weight cutting basics
grapplearts.com/how-to-cut-and-make-weight/

prev thread

Attached: 1526132067776.png (733x528, 392K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XmKrdndYR_s
youtube.com/watch?v=GZqqQdfNTTI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw went on the beers with the guys from work last night
>too hungover for BJJ this morning
>too tired for evening class when I got home

Fuck, I'm a knob

How do you bois deal with motivation failure

Attached: QUIET.png (557x630, 232K)

I plan on going to some bjj courses starting this summer. Also should I study some punching and kicking technique, cause grappling is best when you re on the ground and when you're fighting 1v1?

Can anyone give advice on learning proper head movement for boxing?

I'm a skeleton that just started lifting and I want to start boxing. Can I do well even if my arms are twigs?

Sure!
It really doesn't depend on the arms, but more what they are attached to.
Just promise me you start eating right and enough. I had a skinny friend, who came to the gym with me and basically kept eating like before bc muh sixpack.
Dude basically cut his beginner gainz in half thanks to his shitty eating habbits.

Attached: 1384963867257.jpg (3496x1638, 1.22M)

How to tell that someone is a martial arts novice:
>muhhh wouldn't work in a real fight

Attached: photo482.jpg (512x768, 39K)

Arms actually don't really matter, power is more in your shoulders and hips.

you took a day off, you're not a failure. Just don't do this consistently. You drank too much don't do it again.

Self-studying for a self-defense situation is almost totally useless. You'll forget almost all of it once you actually need to apply it, unless you've gotten lots of reps in training or sparring against a live opponent.

Youtube is good? Teach yourself the slip first, then the bob, then start doing it together so that you learn to bob and weave. Don't try to use head movement reactively (unless you're floyd), for now get used to moving your head at least a little bit at all times so that you're a more difficult target.

>try muay thai if you're less interested in mobility
in what way ever is muay thai less mobile that boxing? sure maybe footwork but i feel like the flexibility required for muay thai far outweighs that

I miss the old /asp/ autism days where CMAfags would get challenged to put their money where their mouth was, and then very publicly chicken out every single time

>you took a day off, you're not a failure. Just don't do this consistently. You drank too much don't do it again.

I won't let you down senpai

Feels so fucking good to come from the home town of catch wrestling. So many great gyms here that are coached by legends

Attached: image.png (200x200, 53K)

>tfw living in Asia where wrasslin doesn't exist

Tons of Judo and BJJ at least

Where a outs in Asia? There will probably be shoot wrestling schools nearby

HK

You occasionally hear of guys going to Japan to do shoot wrestling but I haven't really seen it here much. Now that I google it, there seems to be a shooto gym around:

fb /shootogymhongkong

Seems to be all cantonese though, which is weirdly not a good sign- typically if the club is good you get a ton of westerners signing up.

Kind of surprised there's not more of it actually

Anyone know any good fighting schools for a total beginner in South London or Surrey (UK). I don't really have any preference for fighting style as I know equally little about them all and it seems like a good place/teacher is what's really key.

basically any boxing club anywhere will be sufficiently good.

they all look incredibly twinky. avoid.

Your coach can genius

Your friendly neighborhood Wing Chun fag here. What are your weekly training schedules like bros? I'm really just getting started but I've made my way up to a pretty decent workload, still not sure where to add more strength training tho.

>M: Evening BJJ, Chun class right after
>T: Morning Chun, run 5k and hill sprints after a short rest, evening Chun class
>W: Run 5-10k, hill sprints, bodyweight/dumbbells
>Th: same as Tuesday
>F: Run 5k, evening conditioning class / open gym, work on whatever was hard from that week
>S: small group high intensity class, short rest, Chun class, BJJ
>Sun: rest hard

I've only been hitting it this hard for about a month but I feel fucking fantastic. Am I making any obvious mistakes though? Besides not doing a real martial art lol

mobility as in footwork and head movement, not flexibility

I have to have periods of not drinking (like weeks or months). The hangovers just fuck me up and kill my motivation otherwise. I did find doing a hard weight session at the gym helps, as the endorphin buzz means the next day or two days I have the motivation to then go train combat sports/martial arts hard.

Get coaching.

Is a Fight Pass subscription worth it? What are some of the best fights to watch in the library?

Kushti, Shuai jiao, Judu, JJ, Shoot wrestling.. Seriously are you retarded? All the modern combat wrestling forms are Asian..

Attached: 0019b91ec8450a0caeac0a.jpg (500x430, 26K)

Do you have one of those wood dummies? YOu know the ones I mean, with all the arms
They look fucking cool and I always wanted to know what its like to train with them
as for mistakes I have no fucking clue sry m8 it seems like you are doing a bit too much but if your body can handle it then go for it I guess

Old Man Texas Method for strength conditioning, then BJJ, kickboxing, no-gi, boxing training.

So something like:

>M: Kickboxing
>T: Barbell training or No Gi
>W: Kickboxing or No Gi
>T: BJJ or Boxing
>F: Barbell training
>S: Light cardio or rest
>S: BJJ or barbell training

Options each week picked as appropriate to upcoming competitions or simply what needs work.

Wing Chun is for fags. Anything with full contact sparring & competitions is. If they don't have proper sparring and competing it's just a form of folk dancing. Ur a dancer. A massive gay one.

Attached: mma-training-mistakes-1024x715.jpg (1024x715, 133K)

What do you mean by "put their money where their mouth was"? In a real fight? Whoever tries to use TMA/CMA in an actual fight is ridiculous. My point was only that martial arts is about much more than fighting.

Attached: 135844095_14796253074621n.jpg (899x625, 56K)

I do buhurt.
Its a lot of fun and a fantastic workout.
And while you will never really fight to the death in armour in any reasonable scenario, you still learn stuff that would be useful in a real fight. Plus, cultivating strength and stamina is always good.

Attached: rusvsukr.jpg (1280x720, 200K)

Cobra Kai is a suprisingly decent show.

>All the modern combat wrestling forms are Asian
NOPE

Not training tonight because I'm just worn out. Part of me feels like I'm being a bitch but also I know that I've been going hard the last few weeks and going tomorrow instead of today is not going to kill me.

When it comes to your case though (we all miss classes here and there because of being hungover or whatever) it's important to adopt the "lunch pail mentality". I think I heard Chewie talk about it where when you don't feel motivated to train you just go in like it's a shit job you don't like. You're guaranteed to not regret it.

For me personally when I just don't feel like going because I feel tired or not in the mood (not because I physically need a rest or something like that) I just remember all the times I went into shit jobs I've had in the past.

i used to go to the box/mt gym close to work. there was beginners+intermediates class together. workout was for 90 minutes. 5x5 minutes warmup - lunges, pushups, situps....then 5 mins gear up and practising some random combos one on one. last ten minutes free sparring. new guys are absolutely clueless, coach just shows them basic punches and thats it. is it like this everywhere now? years ago when i did kickboxing coach put waaay more emphasis on teaching correct form for everyone. might be shitty gym but cheap. how does your workout look like?

youtube channels?
this one seems really good
youtube.com/watch?v=XmKrdndYR_s

>TMA/CMA
Sorry for asking, but I don't know much about fighting, what do these stand for?

Traditional Martial Arts/Chinese Martial Arts

Since you don't know much about fighting, you should know that they're meme tier (especially the latter) and are only ever useful (karate and tae kwon doe) if supplemented with kickboxing/muay thai and/or boxing

What's going on with this guy's leg?

I've trained at a place like this, except replace the free sparring (they did that once a week) with ridiculous crossfit style "finishers".

I've also trained at places where the coach is insistent on perfect execution and will correct you relentlessly.

tl;dr - every place is different

CMAs are a very nice form of dancing.

this guy looks like he stands about five foot nothin

>M:Judo class evening
>T: Evening full body weight training
>W:Evening Judo class
>Th:No gi class
>F:Full body weight training
>S/Sun:Rest

I work on constructions and i found that when I trained 5 times a week it was too taxing on my body and mind know i only train 5 times a week then month that im gonna compete in my personal opinion you dont need more than too days of full body strength training a week but everyone is diferent

>1 week in bjj
>already Jow Forums with boxing experience
>roll with people but have no clue how to do submissions other than rear naked choke and one specific armbar from the guard
What are the most basic submissions I should be learning?
Classes mostly focus on takedowns and then they let you roll with other people.

Attached: 1525347484418.png (934x682, 1.22M)

Here's a thing.
youtube.com/watch?v=GZqqQdfNTTI

its good to find a bjj that puts emphasis on takedowns most bjj gyms suck at them thats why you see so many people pullin guard

besides that give it time , put more emphasis on potisioning rather than sumbisions after a while you will learn more sumbisions and chokes while you roll

North of England and there isn't a Catch Wrestling school in sight

DON'T BOTHER.

BJJ IS GAY

SAMBO OR CATCH WRESTLING.

also kimura

armbar, armtriangle, kimura, americana, guillotine
bread and butter

>What are the most basic submissions I should be learning?
From top:
>Arm triangle from side control
>Armbar from mount
>kimura/americana from mount and side control (you won't hit this very often but it's useful to threaten it in order to hit better subs)
>d'arce and anaconda

From bottom (guard):
>triangle
>armbar
>omoplata
>hip bump sweep

i want to learn fighting but am afraid of brain damage cuz i work in academia
wat do?
i thought about box lessons with no sparring. any other suggestions?

Riding on a high right now. Had a really good BJJ night. 7 rounds of sparring different partners 6 mins 30 secs each at the end of advanced. Only got subbed twice the whole time. Subbed everyone i paired with.

Triangles, bow n arrow, armbar, rear naked, leglocks, kimura, d'arce subs. Tried an omaplata but didnt armdrag enough and just got stacked, slid out from underneath and took their back and just went for a lapel choke instead.

It feels good to see it connecting and coming together. I definitely need to work on gaining top control as i always end up on bottom.

Attached: siap.png (448x374, 236K)

I would advise against working similar muscle groups multiple days in a row, but u should realistically be fine

Had his tibia shortened to allow for him to walk around in that position all day

where can you learn and practice folkstyle/freestyle wrestling once you're out of high school/college? long island, new york if anyone happens to be familiar.

Self-induced emotional abuse, of course!

>Lmfao user you fat faggot, there you go. Go right ahead and pussy out of training because your stupid ass stayed up until 2:00 a.m. playing Teen Fatass 2 with your neckbeard buddies, that'll make you a GREAT fighter!
>Nobody cares if you had a long day at work you lazy cunt, you're a nobody who works in a dairy fridge. Better fighters than you had better excuses than you, and they STILL trained.
>Ohhhh did somebody get hungover? Did somebody get hungover? You weak fucking pussy, go ahead and just do arms today since a cunt like you could never be a real boxer

I've also found that having a poster of who/whatever your inspiration is on the wall helps. Just imagine that they're looking at you in disgust and disappointment and you'll feel guilty enough to go to the gym in no time.
>tfw Godzilla tells me I'll never become a real kaiju if I skip a workout

When you slip, put your shoulder into it a little. My coach taught me that you're more likely to be out of the way if you do this because you're moving your body a little more, AND it sets you up for a bodyshot.

For dipping, do your squats reeeeeal deep, but make sure you're only just barely dodging the punches when you actually practice dipping. That way, you're not expending too much energy, but your body will sort of naturally learn to dip out of the way.

Yes abosultely. Most of the dudes who whoop my shit in sparring have been skinny, twiggy lanklets that just kept me away with long-range jabs

Tuesday is my only real martial arts training day because my judo club is totally fucked schedule-wise. However, I lift the rest of the week, and I'd be doing (more) cardio if my meniscus wasn't fucked

>Power:
-jog/jump rope 10 min
-stretch
-light bagwork/technique 5 min
-power drill (punch the bag as hard as i can, as fast as i can for 30 second intervals) 8 rounds
-power drill but with kicks :4 rounds (2 rounds per leg)
-circuit 1 (wall ropes, push-ups, ball-to-wall throws) 4 rounds at 30 seconds
-dead lift 3x5 at 80% (haven't done this in months because muh meniscus)
-bro curls 3x10
-tricep pull-downs 3x10
-flies 3x15
-circuit 3 (crunches, flutter kicks, bicycles, leg lifts) 2 rounds

>Defense
-warm-up 10 min
-stretch
-deadlift 3x10 60%
-leg press 3x15
-hip ab/adductors 3x15 each
-circuit 2 (wall-sit 2 intervals, squats, lunges) 4 rounds
-squat 3x10 60% (wah wah muh meniscus)
-circuit 3, 6 rounds
-bob/weave drill 15 min

>Speed
-jump rope 15 min
-stretch
-jog 1 mile, 4 straightaway sprints
-line skips 8 rounds
-jab drill 8 rounds
-footwork/shadowboxing 8 rounds
-speed bag 8 rounds
jab drill 4 rounds

I've got 3 other workouts that are just liftan, but since I can finally throw hooks/move without fucking my knee again, I may just slowly start moving back to my boxing stuff

Anyone have that infographic with the flowchart of martial arts with the S-Tier boxing or whatever?

>be former freestyle wrestler (high school)
>try to go do bjj/judo with guys at bjj/mma/judo gyms
>no idea how to submit people
>just keep flopping opponents on the mat and wrapping their arms up so they can't move
>sit there awkwardly until coach stands us up

Attached: poop.jpg (699x625, 96K)

>want to learn fighting
>afraid of brain damage cuz I work in academia
>thought about box lessons
user

You know you could just do wrestling, right?

arent wrestlers getting thrown on their heads and getting brain damage as well?

>tfw Godzilla tells me I'll never become a real kaiju if I skip a workout
Max par

The worst was Wu style. That kid was the most autistic tripfag I've ever seen. I wonder if people still have the video of him showing his tai chi.

I think of my bitch ex GF and how little she thinks of me.

Do you know Henry Tung?

Okay there's a difference between the origins of a perticular style and the accessibility to train that style. Also you mostly mentioned traditional/folk styles of wrestling nothing modern about them.

Oh man Wu got fucking pissed at me once because I said I can just throw him and be done with it. Dude was like 125lbs

>Defend yourself
>BJJ
please please plase don't do this
BJJ is very effective if it's in a controlled environemet like a ring but it is not suitable for self defence
while you are on the ground, trying to choke someone out or trying to get him into an armlock, his friend might just smash a beer bottle over your head or stab you

I think you can find a decent judo club in your area.

Almost getting my judo brown belt here. I'm a heavyweight and want to get more fit and drop to about 180. I'm 230 now. What's a good routine that will make it more effective while also losing weight?

Karate combat would like to have a word with you

Do more judo and less meme bodyweight training

There is no such thing as a martial art where you don't do bodyweight.

You fucking gym bitches powerlifting shills need to stop fucking up and polluting every fucking thread with your stupid bullshit.

I would say to look up Jake Shields. He went on an insane winstreak in mma just doing like three submissions. I think it was armbar, guillotine and rear naked. Also develop more than one set up to each submission. That's how you get good.

>armdrag into omoplata
That's pretty interesting. Usually I wouldn't go straight into an omoplata. It's usually a plan b for me if I fail my armbar or triangle choke. I know mma fighters use it as a sweeping position instead of a submission. Maybe you can show it to me sometime.

Attached: 1523753060460.jpg (633x438, 59K)

It's very difficult since the training is associated with learning institutions. Your best bet is to befriend a wrestler and try to talk with the coach. But even that isn't a guarantee. Places that allow MMA fighters to train with them are usually more open. So stalk some MMA fighters in your area lol.

Wasn't he a fat hairy autist? I really wish someone would post that video of him

>actually getting mad
Nigga you do two (2) sessions of judo for two (2) sessions of "bodyweight" training. You're obviously not going to the Olympics so do more judo and you'll get better.

>fat hairy autist
>125lb

one of you assholes better start telling me the truth

Attached: 1364613679557.png (466x586, 103K)

Sorry Gobbels-kun, old /asp/ was so long ago my memory fails me. If someone had that video where he shows off his autistic kicks everything would be resolved.

Attached: 1525903675681.jpg (599x449, 30K)

I recall him being a trenchcoat wielding lanklet but like said, it was a looong time ago

Oh my lord why does Jow Forums yield the most gets

what are your oldest reaction images? I'm trying to build my collection so I can RP as an oldfag

It isn't so much that it I'm an oldfag, it just feels so long because /asp/ got so screwed by wwe it's like it never existed at all

If you get thrown on your head as a wrestler or any kind of grappling, you're doing something wrong. I wrestled for a few years and recently started jiu jitsu, and the only time I hit my head was during a complete accident where I got kneed in the nose.

>JJJ

Lel

Already mentioned judo

The Chinese wrestling styles are extremely uncommon in HK, and the Shooto school I linked is full of twinky dudes

>All the modern combat wrestling forms are Asian..

Except for the main styles of Wrestling (catch wrestling, folkstyle, Greco-Roman)

If you're going to be a dick to strangers on the Internet then I'd advice improving your reading comprehension. Two full stops after every sentence also screams Pajeet

*advise

You used to get autists practicing Kung Fu styles and saying they'd work anywhere, that they could kick anyone's ass, and MMAfags used to challenge them to fights on /asp/

This happened a couple of times, in every case the Kung Fu guys chickened out in some way, either by just not showing up, or (in the case of Wu iirc), saying that their master forbade them because it was dishonorable and the techniques would be 2deadly for that

I long for the day /csg/ can have rumble meetups.

Attached: 4a4cd8db-5392-4297-aa82-2bc3e90c08fc_screenshot[1].jpg (1152x480, 35K)

How long have you been doing it senpai?

I'm nearing six months and I still don't know wtf I'm doing, it hasn't quite clicked yet, I never feel like I'm in control of the situation while sparring

I mean, you can

I don't think there was a single successful /asp/ one though

bump

Attached: A V E R A G E 2.png (742x538, 487K)

It's time to let it die buddeh

Attached: 1516003396804.jpg (620x388, 64K)

Watch more videos, especially of fights/fighters you like. It'll eventually inspire you to experiment with certain styles, and once you're in the "mindset" of that style you'll have more confidence on the mat assuming you know any fundmentals.

Attached: Sugimura 4.png (799x1062, 841K)

Ive been training for a year and 2 months. Im a 3 stripe white belt but my coach has been hinting at a 4th stripe. But hes brazillian so maybe im just misconstruing his speech patterns... my advice is to compete, nothing throws a wrench in the works like an equally zealous opponent.

If you were in aus id be happy to bro

>hes brazillian so maybe im just misconstruing his speech patterns
lol

going to nearest MMA gym to watch a class. what are red flags for mma gyms?

Attached: hollyholm.webm (1280x720, 2.93M)

Research and figure out if they have a stable of amateur or professional fighters. If they at least have one that's a slightly good sign.

Make sure that the techniques they're teaching in a class have a relevant flow, that they're related to each other. Gyms that do a lot of situational sparring are good too.

I'm sleep y and can't be of too much help sorry user

Attached: 1515268810481.png (849x1032, 1.43M)

They'll probably kick your head in thinking that you're spying for another team

Sauce on that pic?