/csg/ Combat Sports General

this is so that 15 "what martial art should I learn???" threads don't shit up the catalog at once

>Why start learning?
Defend yourself
It's fun
It's god-tier cardio.

>What start learning?
imgur.com/a/dmBwERA
If you're interested in striking arts, try boxing, or Muay Thai if you're less interested in mobility, head movement, but more interested in learning elbows, knees, and kicks.

>But grappling?
BJJ schools are the easiest to come by, but wrestling is going to give you the most control on the ground, while also letting you fight to stay standing if you don't want to be taken down.

Catch wrestling is for sick cunts, if you can find a gym for it.
snakepitusa.com/about-us/locations/

>OFFSEASON LIFTING FOR COMBAT SPORTS
You're going to want to develop explosive ability for high reps, especially in your lower body. Do something like Westside for Skinny Bastards III
defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3/
That's
MONDAY – Max-Effort Upper Body
TUESDAY – Dynamic-Effort Lower Body
WEDNESDAY – Off
THURSDAY – Repetition Upper Body
FRIDAY – Max-Effort Lower Body
SATURDAY – Off
SUNDAY – Off

Be wary of pseudoscience regarding martial arts (not just trad martial art kata faggotry).
While routines with high-volume pull ups and dips have their uses, even Western boxers are notorious for things like chugging their own piss.

>Weight cutting basics
you should see a professional coach for this

previous thread: (Cross-thread)

Attached: waterpolo_fight_series_5__yt_choke_within_seconds__by_canterpark-d8o7yt7[1].jpg (993x804, 211K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mmL3qK-pKR8
youtube.com/watch?v=x1VNM57PHms
youtube.com/watch?v=kL3VzjcptBI
discord.gg/Dzj9HkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=51090bGcoR8
youtube.com/watch?v=sbHlg1MqrxU.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bad triangle choke form

why, fit is already filled with gay ass shit, this is more quaility than 80 percent of the threads

>want to start wrestling but I'm too old
(23btw)

Attached: image.jpg (800x800, 95K)

I'm thinking of picking up Thai Box, is it any good?

hey csg, there's a boxing and a muay thai gym really close to me, I've been meaning to get into a combat sport, what should I do? I want something I can compete with. Thanks

If you don't do something about it, you'll still be saying that when you're 33, 43, etc.

You're right though, wrestling is a HELL of a thing to get into past the teenager years, if it's even available to adults. However, the grappling arts and judy, even muy thai kick boxing (clinch work) will give you a lot more confidence with 1v1 fighting that wrestling tends to give. IMO, it's not the same - a wrestling base is not only excellent physical prep for combat fighting as an adult, but also greatly increases the aggressiveness and confidence of a fighter.

This is one of my biggest critiques of JJ/BJJ. At the end of the day, it's a defensive art. If you're attacked, it's fantastic. However, it does not train the will to dominate, like wrestling. Don't get me wrong, BJJ is one of the best things to even happen, and you can really turn the tables on a bigger, stronger opponent who has taken you down and is intent on beating you into mush. But what if YOU want to take someone down and beat them up? Flying armbar? Okay, good luck!

>you'll still be saying that when you're 33
Sounds like me. I'm disappointed I thought wrestling was "gay" when I was in high school.

Attached: Wrestling_Looks_Gay_Framed_Tile_300x300.jpg (300x300, 22K)

Attached: wrestling0237656mg8.jpg (429x345, 24K)

Ameri-do-te is the only thing you need

youtube.com/watch?v=mmL3qK-pKR8

yes it is
if you seriously don't care which you do, then look for the higher quality one, if you're in a city that's prob gonna be boxing, which also runs much lighter on the wallet

Do you want to spend the first 3 months getting pounded on by black people, or by Asian manlets?

Attached: 1504663373598.gif (60x95, 23K)

It’s doable to make wrestling gains if you find a solid MMA gym now that works on wrestling. I have a dedicated group of 2-3 partners who wrestle while doing BJJ or Judo and we have made strides. Are you in college? If so then you may be able to look into NCWA programs. They’re competitive, but technically it’s a club sport so you should be able to join. That’s how I got started at a late age and now my takedowns/pressure are good for my lack of wrestling pedigree.

I’ve been thinking about doing BJJ, and Muay Thai for sometime now. The thing is I’m a weak DYEL Manlet. :( Should I do some strength training first, or should I just jump into it. I just started lifting with some of my friends, while they’re great with advice, their schedule is all overall the place. How do you anons ususally balance martial arts with lifting?

Lift in the morning, train in the evening. I don’t lift as much as I should but having a strength program even if it’s just body weight will help. At first, you’re probably not going to be able to focus on lifting while learning a martial art. The best way to become stronger for grappling is via grappling, but when you become proficient enough and would like to see your performance improve then switching to a compound lift strength based routine 2-3 days per week would be good.

>roll with a massive motherfucker
>gets on top of me
>literally nothing I can do

Attached: Capture+_2018-04-24-15-38-27-1.png (720x474, 458K)

How does /csg/ throw a jab from the Philly Shell? Are you supposed to let the elbow flick out before the fist does?

Attached: mayweather-shoulder-roll[1].jpg (750x420, 192K)

bump!

Attached: 1516066007821.jpg (1280x852, 95K)

Maybe if your bad

I used to post on Jow Forums years ago but it went to shit and is apparently still shit. This thread gives me hope.

Used to be heavy into powerlifting had a 615 dl 505 squat and 415 bench,

Can barely do half those numbers nowadays because of chronic injury, mostly do Olympic lifts and plyometrics with muay thai and judo. Love what i do now more.

thank you mr. oldfag sir
We're not there yet but I really want to foster an active combat sports/fitness community here.We're having an easier time staying active than /owg/, and there's at least one other person starting these threads besides me, so I'm hopeful.

Attached: Sugimura 1.png (748x928, 573K)

>Pinching knees using sissy muscles and pulling head down

>Not under hooking the leg, cutting the angle, and curling/stomping whilst holding shin for maximum control/squeeze

Never gonna make it

Attached: download.jpg (273x185, 7K)

One of my “friends” wants to make it to the UFC despite no fighting history whatsoever. Like he’s never even been in a real fight. He’s 28. Does he have a chance? He believes he has the “talent” and “mentality” to overcome his lack of experience compared to his peers, meaning he’ll pick up on it easily.

Water Polo Captain Yin Teng does in fact lose the match, so you guys were right. He doesn't make it.

Attached: waterpolo_fight_series_20__end_of_fight__by_canterpark-d91xgww[1].jpg (1600x1217, 474K)

why is it even called alternative sports anymore? anything that's not wrestling gets spammed with wrestling.
Fuck it martial arts was all i wanted. that board can die in a fire.

So what happened to Ralph?

based threadbumping pervert

Is this bait?

Just tell him to put up or shut up,

If he joins an MMA gym and they tell him he isn't good enough to compete then that should be enough to shut him up. If he can compete then see what happens

Hey man I was thinking about getting started with Muay Thai. I am pretty fit but a complete novice when it comes to fighting, literally had one minor brawl in my entire life
Can I still do it or will it be too tough for me? I´m actually kinda scared to jsut go to a gym and ask if I can join

Anyone else want to get into boxing after watching anime like Tomorrow's Joe or Hajime no Ippo?

youtube.com/watch?v=x1VNM57PHms

Attached: d1aec8d9d59759861358393dd8cd3b8d.jpg (480x640, 47K)

Once I graduate uni and get home I was thinking of starting BJJ. But I'm afraid my work schedule may fuck with it. I normally work nights, and most classes are in the morning so if I get home at 1-3AM, and a class is at 8AM, that only gives me a few hours of sleep, but my schedule changes so maybe I can get it in a few days per week? Worth it?

get better at jits

if a 150lb bjj guy can submit a 250lb roided as fuck bodybuilder in an actual fight, the only real problem is you're not good at what you're doing.

youtube.com/watch?v=kL3VzjcptBI

stop overthinking it. Its the same mechanics as a normal jab it just starts from hip level instead of chest/shoulder level.

source: was ammy boxer for 10 years, fought out of the shell for 7 of those.

>This is one of my biggest critiques of JJ/BJJ. At the end of the day, it's a defensive art

its really not though. You're used to seeing a certain interpretation of BJJ that has been funnelled into a competitive sporting context.

Almost everything you learn in wrestling and judo, i also learned in BJJ. Different schools have different approaches.

> But what if YOU want to take someone down and beat them up?

double leg into full mount and smashing their face in isn't sufficient for you?

any number of reaping techniques smashing the opponent down onto the ground and straight into side control isn't offensive enough for you?

I'm not trying to insult you, but I think you are someone who has never done BJJ and thats why you believe this stuff. I used to have similar misgivings about BJJ until i actually started learning it.

Attached: 132[1].jpg (740x470, 128K)

The double leg is generally a bad tactic that wont work on anyone with any grappling experience. Plus you risk a knee to the face which while rare and hard to land will annilate you. In the og UFC im pretty sure Royce tried double legs but ended up in the guard pretty much always

Adding on to what i said i think its true that bjj takedowns are generally pretty sloppy. and Judo/Wrestling take-downs can be fight-enders in themselves.

the double leg is such a bad technique that it continues to work even at the elite level in MMA today, including on people who specialize in grappling

> risk a knee to the face
> risk

you risk everything in fighting. A jab for example, is technically the "safest" punch in boxing, but there exist a multitude of effective counters to it that you risk everytime you throw a jab.
and doubles and singles are staples of wrestling, so I'm not sure what you're trying to establish here. If you go learn wrestling, you will be drilling doubles and singles over and over again, more than any other technique, i promise you. Because they're effective.

Attached: 272d3f1985fbb13fd8701390fa2c8723[1].jpg (640x628, 266K)

you will get used to it. You shouldnt be lifting more than 3 times a week anyway, and I cant imagine you're spending longer than 45 mins to an hour lifting, unless your friends are the kind of mongoloids who use the gym as a social hangout instead of training.

so that leaves you plenty of time to fit in martial arts elsewhere.

Double and single legs are pretty rare in mma except against a cage(IE a tackle from range is rare) wrestling Arm drag and judo trips and to a slighly lesser extent judo throws are much more common, versatile take downs. This is coming from someone whos first MA recommendation is BJJ

often in MT sparring I will sweep the other guy down while in clinch. often times I block theis legs, in some movements that are not legal in MT I suppose, and drop them down.

the thing is it feels really good to drop lanklets, how are heavier and taller than me down (5'8'' 150lb here)

shoud I join a judo class? no wrestling gyms in my area

But Asian Manlets are FAST
Like Bruce Lee kinda fast

You didn't join the real and active Official Fitness Server on Discord yet??
Advice on routine and posture advice, motivate each other, awesome stories, feels, food pics recipes and diet checks, fasting, etc. Self improvement, nofap and even relationship advice.
We also have some fun channels like memes.
For those who want more adventure, we have a contest: post a pic in begin of the month, and one at the end. Then users vote and the winner gets prize money!!!

We accept people from all fitness levels: fat, average or athletic. As long as you are encouraging and motivating you are most welcome!
discord.gg/Dzj9HkQ

Attached: flat,800x800,070,f.jpg (800x800, 78K)

He slips out of the triangle right into an armbar.

Attached: waterpolo_fight_series_6__nasty_armbar__by_canterpark-d8p1jbf[1].jpg (1600x2393, 842K)

>unless your friends are the kind of mongoloids who use the gym as a social hangout instead of trainin
What's wrong with that user?

anyone had an MCL sprain before?

I was bed ridden during the weekend because of the pain, after 5 days i'm able to jog with minor discomfort.

How long should I wait until I can go back to BJJ classes again? I wanna go today.

Attached: 5E2ffNHTxb3SZhumJJtEBcyIPuC112Z0Zu_LPAU_caA.jpg (796x768, 119K)

If you enjoy throwing people then a sport that’s 75 percent throwing will be your thing. You will have to get used to being thrown though

What's the gayest martial art? I'm looking for an environment where we towel whip each other's asses in the shower after training

when I watch mma why is the guillotine such a feared move? can it be countered?

assuming this isn't a troll, anybody shooting a double-leg takedown (the most common takedown) is really vulnerable to the guillotine

if you get caught in one, is it basically game over?

what the fuck

> Double and single legs are pretty rare in mma

the only way you could believe this is if you dont watch MMA or you have no idea what a double or single leg takedown is.

> arm drag and judo trips are much more common

no they are fucking not

> this is coming from someone whos first MA recommendation is BJJ

this is coming from someone who DOES bjj and has competed in combat sports for close to 15 years (boxing for 10 years, then sanda for a short time and now kudo)

you are desperately trying to belabour this nonsense, and I can only think you are doing it because after me telling you that you are wrong about BJJ, you dont want to just say "ok i was wrong i didnt know better" you are now trying to pretend that doubles and singles dont work in MMA or even more absurdly, that they are rare to be attempted, which is just laughable.

pic fucking related

you are DEMONSTRABLY and OBJECTIVELY wrong

Attached: MMA-Takedowns-by-Number-668x436[1].jpg (668x436, 35K)

If they lock it in well, then it's very difficult to escape from. There are many examples of people escaping guillotines, though. I'd say it's one of the most common threatening positions, rather than a feared move.

You can avoid getting into a guillotine by keeping your face pointed up during the takedown, and you can escape them by just trying your best to slip your head out from under their armpit and/or two-on-one their arm.

Why is explosive lower body strength necessary for something like bjj? Isn't the majority of the power behind bjj moves generated through the core?

Where do you do kudo? I did it for 2 years when i lived in tokyo. Was good times

Sup guys.

20 y/o ex-athlete. Football and baseball player, but everyone has always assumed I’ve done wrestling because of my build. I recently became a powerlifter, got my numbers really good and my weight was at about 185. I decided to reel it back and focus on cardio and endurance and I’ve gone to two local MMA gyms, did boxing both sessions. They tell me I’m a natural and very fast with good balance.

Basically, I want to get into MMA and try to compete, I’ve always had a passion for fighting that amps me up like no other. What would you guys recommend if anything to start moving in the direction of becoming an amateur MMA fighter? In terms of training programs and fighting styles. I’m currently sitting at 170 lbs and would like to try to compete at this weight.

Attached: E7C67514-5007-413E-9EFD-70510784778B.jpg (718x891, 313K)

Depends how bad.

I have that plus mensics .

8 weeks.

I still train, but have a brace that makes me look robotic.

It will heal on its own.

>morning class yesterday
>only two of us plus instructor
>wrist sore as fuck all day
>wake up early for morning class today, usually the busiest and best one
>can't grip flex wrist or without pain

Think it's just sprained but fucking annoying

Bjj/wrestling/judo + boxing/muay thai

Just bear in mind they want you to sign up so telling you you're a natural doesnt really mean much.

thanks for the suggestion!

but yes that’s what I assumed and normally I wouldn’t care except it brought up the memory of when I was drunk with my buddy (national ranked wrestler in high school at the time) and we did a mock grappling session. he also said I’m a total natural and was doing things that usually has to be taught

>But Asian Manlets are FAST
>Like Bruce Lee kinda fast
Nothing special
youtube.com/watch?v=51090bGcoR8

Will I get ripped from just doing BJJ?

I have a question for any other BJJ guys, will my first belt promotion come sooner if I am already trained in another martial art? I receivend a blackbelt in a striking based martial art, show here youtube.com/watch?v=sbHlg1MqrxU. Just wondering if my coach might take this into consideration when evaluating belt promotions?

No, it will depend on your coach and your progress in BJJ

>hajime
>means fight

Ok cool, I mostly wanted to make sure my technique was good. Thank you for watching the video!

Define ripped

my bjj/grappling coach does takedowns every training with us, and also tells us to get our lazy asses to the wrestling classes, but also he is a natural born killer

Why is wrestling so hard to start as an adult?

Any sport that's worth a damn is hard to pick up as an adult

Most of the good teachers are teaching at schools.

Judo

Combat sports are the gayest shit ever lmaooooo

Don't get a big head user

I've been doing HEMA for a while, anyone has info on longsword training? or the link to the discord channel.

can confirm , i got in a fight the other day cause a fucker cut me in traffic while looking at his phone. long story short i tried to punch him in the face he went to do a double leg takedown i kneed him and he was out cold

Personaly i dont like leg takedowns because i find it very easy to defend against and it puts in a bad place for chockholds or guilotines or str8 in someones guard

Ask in (/mag/)

Probably the last surviving non-woo general

Judo is pretty solid , its hard to learn as an adult and its difficult to find a good judo place for adults but once you git gud you can destroy people left and right besides there is nothing better than picking a technique you like drill it like there is no tommorow and then manage to get an ippon with it , its very rewarding

other than that if you are in a good judo school you will also learn ground work wich is were the most of bjj ground work is from

Attached: 1525312601590.jpg (680x794, 227K)

Did TKD for like 10 years (10 years AGO though) and think I'd like to do some striking in addition to BJJ

Not too interested in boxing, but my city has a TON of Muay Thai, and some Kyokushin

Kyo interests me more (particularly the physical toughness side of it) but I wonder if MT is more useful

Thoughts?

ive done both and both are very good they only difference is that kyo doesnt allow head strikes other than that the stuff you learn is the same

Does it end up with you having shitty head defence, in that case? That'd be my main fear desu

>mauy Thai and bjj

And people wonder why other people they are weak faggots; the pre 2015 ufc wankfest fanbase want their memes back.

you get a lot of kicks in the head other than that in muay thai or boxing you wear big ass gloves without them you wont be able to block as much with bare fists also kyo has a lot of head kicks so there is that

What do you recommend instead?

of course not pal, only on anonymous competitive hand slapping forums

How well can the shell manage a southpaw/mirror opponent? What was your ammy record?

Attached: 1401410691346.jpg (1440x900, 564K)

He's going to say boxing and wrrrrrasslin

Screencap this

Attached: wanderlei fedora.webm (1280x720, 2.85M)

I'll pray for you at tridentine Mass this Sunday user

Actually, if you can take somebody down and they try to guillotine you as you pass into side control, you can hit a sneaky sub called a Von Flue choke. It's not an unbeatable position.

Attached: Narantungalag-Jadambaa-IMG_4513-1200x800[1].jpg (1200x800, 126K)

>if they do X you can do a perfect Y by hooking your left foot behind your ear while touching your right shoulderblade and tourning your wrist 360°
>every YT vid I watch about "5 easy escapes from top mount"

in my humble opinion as a bjj player, judo is not worthwhile if you're competing without the gi (weeb for pyjamas). the carryover to no gi (submission wrestling, mma) is way worse than wrestling. wrestlers are way scarier to go against.

i don't know about wrestling but bjj has a lot of adult beginners so it's easy to get on the bjj train.

passing someone who tries to lock in a gilloutine is not that uncommon.

The Von Flue choke has happened quite a bit in MMA you bitter nerd. Turns out holding onto a guillotine without good position is retarded

Maybe, but anons explanation reminded me of last ground sparring I did. I learned all these sneaky ways to get away, even choke someone out, who's on top of you.
And what did I do when someone actually got on top of me? Pushed like a madman and went in a circle with my legs.

Attached: crossderp.gif (317x183, 990K)

is it still possible to find wrestling teachers as a 20 year old not in college?
ideally I would like to combo wrestling and boxing

i have absolutely no idea.

go to an MMA gym and ask somebody who looks like a meathead