/fast/ #201 - link the fucking video edition

FAQ
>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>What’s the difference between intermittent fasting, water fasting, dry fasting, etc.?
>Intermittent fasting: Fasting for a certain amount of time with a short eating window. 16:8 (16 hours fasting, 8 hour eating window) is the bare minimum.
>Water fasting: Fasting with only water.
>Dry fasting: Fasting with no water. Dangerous, use with caution.

>Why should I fast?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/wiki/studies
idmprogram.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/
Read all of these, they might answer some other questions you may want to ask.

>Can I fast if I have ___?
See your doctor before fasting if you:
>Have any sort of chronic illness
>Have gout
Don’t fast if you:
>Have type 1 diabetes
>Are malnourished/severely underweight
>Are pregnant
>Are breastfeeding

>How do I safely do an extended fast (approx. 4-5+ days)
Take snake juice. (youtu.be/2vz_U8kxDlg)
>2000mg of sodium (preferably Himalayan Pink Salt) max
>4700mg of saltless potassium max
>Mix these in a liter of water and sip it throughout the day.
The apple cider vinegar and lemon are optional.
You can also do this if you feel lightheaded, weak, dizzy, nauseous, etc., on shorter water fasts. Don’t do this while intermittent fasting.
There’s a new snake juice recipe here (youtu.be/1onQ0nxgWFM), but either one is fine.

>Won’t I go into starvation mode?
No. It only occurs at extremely low body fat (8-10%).

>Will (something with calories) break my fast?
Yes, headass.

>Can I drink coffee, tea, and diet soda? Or anything with artificial sweeteners?
Artificial sweeteners and diet soda are bad for you and may fuck up your fast. Zero calorie black coffee and tea ware generally considered to be fine.

>Do I need a multivitamin?
Not unless you’re fasting for a month or longer.

Attached: 93D6E123-A6C1-4AA1-922F-64E79F5521F6.jpg (543x589, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

idmprogram.com/blog/
idmprogram.com/books/
idmprogram.com/videos/
dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting
news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2010/06/with-fasting-enzyme-turns-off-bodys-production-of-fats-cholesterol/
news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/
the-scientist.com/article/49462/running-on-empty
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
youtu.be/Gm626MgpveI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES:
idmprogram.com/blog/
idmprogram.com/books/
idmprogram.com/videos/
dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting
news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2010/06/with-fasting-enzyme-turns-off-bodys-production-of-fats-cholesterol/
news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/
the-scientist.com/article/49462/running-on-empty
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
youtu.be/Gm626MgpveI

I just spent like an hour on ihop's website customizing a hypothetical order. Fuck me lads

Attached: 1517000681287.jpg (623x624, 126K)

How do I become based as Jeff?

I am nearly 48 hours into my first extended fast. Started with 16:8, worked up to 20:4 then eventually 23:1 before biting the bullet and going for gold. Every attempt beforehand has failed. I have never gotten this far. Hunger comes during my old feeding times, but passes entirely an hour or so afterward.

I think I might actually make it this time. Good God, I'm gonna make it lads.

We're all gonna make it.

Attached: 1525376605085.jpg (398x356, 29K)

>tfw easier to fast when I'm depressed
n-nice

Broke my 21 day fast with tomatoes and mozzarella today. I kept eating when I was full and now im regretting it. Ive been shitting like every 30 minutes and its always liquid. Im not gonna die r-right?

Ran my laptop camera at a delayed shutter and walked around my room naked
Whenever I wanna break my fast, I look at those pics

See? Mental illness isn't all bad.

been doing 3-4 day fasts for a month now, finally cracked a solid 5 day fast this week, shits cash if any of you have any doubts about the effectiveness of water fasting just commit yourself and do it, you'll very quickly find out. 1st proper fed workout hitting prs, no loss of strength or muscle.

brutal.

What do you guys usually eat when on OMAD?
Also, my breath STANK on OMAD and I have no idea why...

What's the harm in drinking diet soda when it has no calories and there's no proof that it causes an insulin response?

Ketosis

i've done several 40-44hour fasts before attempting my first 7 day one, but it was so easy i extended it to 14 days, you can do it my man

You can do it user, I believe in you.

Attached: popoff.png (842x531, 293K)

?

acetone is one of the byproducts of being in ketosis, it is secreted through skin and breath

How often are you supposed to shit on water fasts?

i'm 65 hours into my fast and i've taken 1 small liquid shit after i shit out all the food i initially ate, and it was barely anything

So i go to work at 7 and come home at 2.

I dont eat during that time.
Is that considered intermittent fasting?
I go to bed around 11.

11-2 no eating, then a lunch, dinner, and snack.

I want to gain weight though and lately all ive been able to do is stay the same.

So, I bought a salt substitutive (like nosalt in america). And it has the following ingredients roughly translated:

Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine monohidrochloride?, glutamic acid E-620, monopotassium tartrate E-336i, silicon dioxide E-551

Is this good to use as potassium source? I'm mainly concerned with the glutamic acid (same as monosodium glutamate?) because I've heard it's very bad for you.

depends on when you eat before bed

generally you want to do one meal a day before bed if you're a skinny fuck

Just finished a 96h fast. Motivated to do a week.

Has anyone tried the new snake juice? I've only ever used the original snake juice and I heard the new recipe tastes a lot better.

old recipe is when you drink for when you drink water after snake juice or sometimes at the day.
new snake juice is the only thing you are allowed to drink. literally no water at all.

it tastes amazing in comparison to the old snake juice, you barely taste the salt at all and it's probably better for you overall

Water - 1 Liter
Potassium Chloride - ½ Tsp (1280mg)
Sodium Bicarbonate - ½ Tsp (540mg)
Sodium Chloride - ¼ Tsp (420mg)
Magnesium Sulfate - ¼ Tsp (100mg)

Day 7, I want to eat, but I also don't want to eat.

Down from 181 to 170.

Attached: 1525582890304.png (508x736, 95K)

not sure what i can get to get magnesium though

you're doing great

just remember how shit you feel after you eat after an extended fast

it only tastes good for just a minute and then you feel terrible

>Yohimbine timing

I work out in the evenings, both cardio and lifting. I do my OMAD afterwards. Job is mostly inactive.

Should I take it in the AM or wait until later in the day?

the magnesium isn't even important really unless you're gonna go like a month

I ordered epsoak epsom salt USP grade 2lb bag off amazon for like 9 bucks

basically you just want food grade epsom salts

but it's not required

gonna order this. I find magnesium helps me with foot cramps at night when I'm fasting or on keto.

can you go into detail about foot cramps?

i noticed my left foot sometimes has pain where it's hard to even walk because every step is painful

is this gout or something?

usually happens on longer fasts

can dry fast cure my hernia ?

no go to the hospital

hernias are a "your organ is out of place" problem

I've always felt like this guys neck and face don't match his body. Like someone photoshopped them together or like those skinny nerdy dweebs who suddenly decide to start working out and taking creatine at 25

I've noticed they only come up when I'm doing keto or fasting. 95% of the time I would get a painful cramp about an hour before I usually wake up and I'd have to walk around until it goes away. From my experience I think they're just from low electrolytes. I've been taking 200mg of magnesium daily and it seems to keep them at bay.

How do you guys deal with other fat fucks at work trying to bring you down? IE always offering sweets and or bringing in crap.

On another note I just passed the 48 hour mark. My head feels a bit off but is that normal? I'm hoping it goes away in the morning. I assume the ill feelings are detox.

Attached: wdawd.png (561x518, 312K)

make sure you're getting your electrolytes in, usually head fog is because of that

we’ve had 201 threads now. i wonder what the first fasting thread was like

What's the harm in drinking diet soda when it has no calories and there's no proof that it causes an insulin response?

drink it if that's what you believe

I made a thread about fasting like a year ago and posted Dr.Fung's stuff and people told me i was full of shit and a shill

Has anyone got any anecdotes about autophagy speeding up and what effects it had on you? I want something to look forward to.

Saying that soda has calories is like saying tic tac pills don't have calories.

On day 8 of my fast and so far averaging 1.3 pounds lost a day. I look noticably thinner in the mirror and clothes just slip on easily. Im concerned about how quickly the weight is falling off. I'm 5'10" 211 pounds and about 21% body fat. This just doesn't seem right to be losing weight this quickly by simply not eating food.

You'll put a decent amount back on once you start eating again properly but yeah, naturally not eating anything is a pretty good weight loss method.

Please anyone?

>doesn't seem right

Well, that's how it works user. There's no faster method outside of surgery.

But if you want to slow it down for some fucking reason, just start eating again.

Why not just fast until you're of a sane body fat percentage?

Fuck if I know. If you have some serious concern about an ingredient, return it and get straight KCl from some other source.

But if it is for human consumption, consider whoever it was who certified it safe.

When in doubt, just dry fast.

Just about to whip up a batch. I happen to like the old SJ (drink it hot with lemon, yum) but we'll see. No 2L vessel though so I'll calculate down.

Also make sure to be consistent with measurements. I weigh everything.

my nigga. I spend lots of time on recipe sites drooling over things I'd cook if I wasn't fasting.

day 5. snake juice is starting to taste like normal water. I think I've adjusted to it. not sure if the new juice recipe is necessary.

What is the purpose of Sodium Bicarbonate?

When is Cole going to be on The Doctors?

Attached: Cole_Robinson.png (211x190, 61K)

I bit the bullet and made some snake juice today.

I'm excited but skeptical. Dr. Fung's talks don't inspire confidence. He uses the simplistic analogies and seems like he's going for cheap laughs.

And cole clearly has a limited vocabulary and is way too aggressive. He said in one Q&A that he basically wouldn't be able to get recertified as a trainer because of his personality. Really? People who can't keep their mouths closed around food are pussies, but you can't keep your mouth shut long enough to be a professional?

"Hey Fatty!" Is pretty motivating from him. But he's just some guy, no gf, not very successful, doesn't seem very educated. And he really seems to believe that everything can be fixed by fasting.

I asked about brain fog going away after 48h in the last thread, if anyone remembers it. Well, I took a nap and drank 2 cups of green tea, my head was clear as day and I got a lot of shit done. I just run 6.5km and walked 2.5 more on incline, and I honestly felt and still feel great. I'm also not hungry any more.
Thanks to the people who gave me advice in the last thread. I really appreciate it. Today was a good day.
Definitely going for 72h minimum,

I completely agree about Cole, however I'd argue that he really does his research. Even though his personality and the way he speaks may not inspire confidence in his intelligence or knowledge on the subject, you can actually tell he is really educated on most of the things he talks about.
Also, don't forget he fucking did every single thing he recommends to himself first, and usually in way harsher conditions (he is competing in powerlifting contests after all) than what the average person would be in. He's also doing DEXA scans and actually proves he is in tip top condition.
All in all, I'm always taking everything he says with a grain of himalayan salt. The new snake juice recipe is great though, and so are the principles of his diet. There's also evidence that cancer can't grow, or even can't survive, in fasted conditions. I do not believe you can cure everything with fasting, but I can see why he'd be so passionate about it when seeing the results of his diet on people who are suffering. You gotta respect that he truly tries to help people, if nothing else.

>I need a turbochad with 6 gfs, 10 wives, calm temperament and a fortune in the bank to tell me to fast so I can trust fasting

WELL FATTY, GUESS FUCKING WHAT, STOP FUCKING EATING AND SHUT THE FUCKING HELL UP.

Yeah, the fact that it's coming from a former fatty who became a lean powerlifter is one reasons I think he may be worth listening to.

Feeling good so far, did some weight training last night and today, and sweat a ton doing some cardio. But I had fish oil yesterday morning, and a 190 cal protein drink last night, so I guess I'm really only at about 19 hours.

>yohimbine on a fast
I forgot I had some of that stuff sitting around. I think it's most effective for fasted training.

Anyone know anything about this? Seems like it might break the fast, or delay some of the effects.

what exactly does sodium and potassium do on a fast? I feel like I'm less tired after drinking the stuff in water, but I don't know what it's actually doing.

Attached: 1518908063517.png (558x614, 24K)

your body requires sodium to retain water

retaining water keeps your hydrated

your body requires potassium to keep your muscles functioning

without potassium your muscles seize, and since your blood is pumped through your body by a muscle (your heart), without it you die

magic nigga fuck do you really need to know?

52 hours in.

The hunger stops soon, right?

Attached: 1479920187082.png (325x244, 75K)

Does dry fasting burn fat faster? I need to lose fat as fast as possible

yes

Don't be a retard, you can die from lack of potassium if you do more than 5 days dry. Just don't be a faggot, sit the fuck down, drink your snake juice and do a 30 day fast.

>not dry fasting for at LEAST the first day

Attached: 1519076584647.jpg (657x527, 43K)

We don't know.
The russians have done research on this but whatever info they have isn't translated.

would fasting make me loose my gains compared to a classic calorie deficit ?
what would be the most efficient duration to avoid loss of gain ?

Attached: 1417095733612.jpg (500x667, 60K)

>implying I'm not exactly on my first day and haven't even drank my snek jews because I'm lazy to make it
Got you

Based, that's basically why I started doing partial dry fasts. I always dry fast the first day because why the fuck not. Then I attempt the second day. If can go the entire day without falling asleep and feeling like total shit, great, and if not, I just make some snake juice and start a regular fast.

205lbs 21%bf to 180lbs 19%bf after 2 week fast. Lifted heavy with light volume during the fast. My lifts are just under from before the fast and not by much. Is it normal to lose so much and have less than half of it be body fat?

In fact I'd say that starting the fast this way makes you enter ketosis faster, but I don't recommend it for what this guy wants I think a regular fast is best suited because he isn't going to drop anything significant on a 5 day dry fast.

what bf% measurement are you doing? also have you refed all your water weight, you you'll probably gain back 10lbs of water

A hand held Bioelectrical impedance analysis. I know it’s not the greatest but it’s the same one I have used for over a year now so it’s consistent at least. Yes, that was after normal eating for about a week. Went down as low as 176lbs.

25lbs in a 14 day fast is a shitload for someone that started at 205. Either you exercised 4 hours a day or somethings off.

Hey guys, is it normal to break a fast for a meal and then immediately continue? I'm thinking about fasting for like 3/4 days, then eating a nice keto meal with

yes

So I asked a question a while ago about using pills instead of snake juice, but left before I saw the answer. I sucessfully completed my fast and have never felt better, but I still have a couple questions.

Pills not having the same amount of potassium/sodium sounds like a mute point, because you could just have another pill until you have the right amount. And the absorbtion rate could be mitigated by spreading out the consumption over the day, like half a pill in the morning, half at lunch, then a full at dinner. It fucking with your stomach is fair, but another potential solution is to make highly concentrated shots of the juice, and consume in a similar manner (3 times throughout the day), and wash it down with some water. What do you guys think?

I'm not looking for a "toughen up bitch" answer. Already did a 3 day fast with full concentration snake juice and apple cidar, and I was already fairly lean (170cm, 64kg). I'm just looking for more managable alternatives, both for my family and (if I get sick of the juice) me.

Sorry, messed up the links,

i pressed my own salt capsules and me taking potassium caps (about 600mg) severely fucked up my stomach one day

i stopped doing it cause i legit felt the salt burning my insides

i took 2 600mg potassium caps

What's he gonna do with that sledgehammer?

use

Water - 1 Liter
Potassium Chloride - ½ Tsp (1280mg)
Sodium Bicarbonate - ½ Tsp (540mg)
Sodium Chloride - ¼ Tsp (420mg)
Magnesium Sulfate - ¼ Tsp (100mg)

it doesnt taste like semen like the original recipe

Thanks, So even 600mg is too much to have in one go. Maybe I'll do some of my own experimentation.

Sounds good, but wouldn't you need to have 3 litres a day of this stuff in order to get enough potassium? Not a problem for me, I go through 3-4 litres of water a day, even more in the summer, but my family don't train as much as I do, and drink about 2.

Thanks for the answers guys.

6'0", 180-191 lbs depending on the day and what scale I step on, and somewhere around 25% bodyfat
Been doing starting strength for like a month and a half now, starting to notice muscle gains visually, also been doing about 30 mins cardio before hand
Been eating in caloric deficit every day (at least 500 kcal deficit, sometimes more if I worked out a lot that day it might be 1000 kcal), and exercising (cardio and weights) almost every other day

I feel like I'm not really losing any fat, just gaining muscle mass. I'm sure you get this question in here all the time, but I'm going to ask anyways. Should I try fasting, and what kind should I try? I can't really decide. I've got a bit of a fat belly, and a bit extra fat on my legs/thighs that I'm not really happy with, and they don't seem to be reducing at all. I didn't take measurements when I started working out though, so it could be that I'm not noticing.

During an extended fast with the snake juice should I lift or are you supposed to just save the lifting for Intermittent Fasting

Smash the patriarchy

I drink 2 liters a day but I'm not training hard either

drop the potassium after 2 liters

thank you

I do, It's really hard to find info on fasting for elite training regimens. I train 2-3 times a day, 6 days a week with a rest day on Friday, so I know I can't fast too much. I am in what you would call the "elite athlete" category I think. But I need to know if you can train at an anaerobic threshold whilst fasting/using fat as an energy source.

I'd timed my first attempt on a rest week, so even though I still trained (and was shocked at how much energy I still had), I never had to push myself too hard. But I finished my fast the night before we restarted hard training, with a Protein rich meal (and a bit of carbs), so that my muscles could recover in time for training in the morning.

My training is mostly cardio (swim/bike/run) (yes, I'm a triathlete, shut up), and requires me to reach anaerobic pace at almost every training session, so I need to know I can still perform at my best whilst burning fat. Anybody have any experience training hard, either with long fasts, or an OMAD style diet?

Basically every attempt at it I know of has gone badly. It's possible to be physically active during extended fasts but your performance will inevitably take a dive. Hard anaerobic stuff seems to tank more than pure aerobic or strength/power output.

>Lose weight on refeed without fail
Am I dying?

Attached: 1499393676566.jpg (500x375, 100K)

No you probably fixed your shit diet.

Yeah, I figured. How about OMAD though? Or even just cutting carbs and going meat/veg only?

I'm not fat (180lb, 6'3) I'm just trying to lean out for my holiday, I normally eat pretty healthy.
In fact I eat like shit on my refeeds.

you can train 7 days a week on OMAD easily

Never known someone who tried it with OMAD, so can't comment.

Carbless never seemed to work fully either. It wasn't the disaster that extended fasting seemed to be but numbers tended to fall (mostly in the same range - from my scientifically illiterate view, the issue mostly seems to be related to a lack of glycogen. Very short or long sustained outputs don't seem to suffer as badly).