Is there actually an actual benefit to doing curls...

Is there actually an actual benefit to doing curls? I always saw it as a DYEL exercise because nearly all upper body exercises will work your arms in some way. Is it a waste of time or is there actually a benefit?

Attached: 20060116202100[1].jpg (762x679, 29K)

All isolation exercises serve the purpose to overload a specific muscle with more volume and to be able to gain a better feeling on the muscle itself while exercising which will carry over to other exercises.

Being able to properly activate your bicep will help you on compounds which use this muscle as a secondary mover

If you want bigger biceps, you have to train them. If you dont care about your arms then stick with compounds. Use a supinated grip when you row.

yes

The benefit is having bigger and stronger arms. Go to any big box gym. Find the dudes with the biggest fucking arms there. Every single one of them isolates their arms. If you want big fucking arms, train your fucking arms. Yes, doing presses, rows, and chins will make your arms grow. No, you will not reach your full potential if you don't do isolations as well. Just do a few supersets of 4x8 a couple times a week, and you'll see a significant difference in not too much time.

The only people that are staunchly against arm isolations are DYEL skinnyfat faggots on internet forums with totals under 800 lbs.

Attached: BrianAlsruhuehuehue sips.png (1130x698, 995K)

Besides the obvious hypertrophy benefits, literally every big bencher I know does curls of some sort to keep their elbows from rebelling with all the pressing and triceps work they do.

What a stupid fucking question.

There's a strength benefit to it as well. Aside from helping stabilise the joints involved, big biceps and forearms will compress eachother at the bottom of the bench giving you a rebound effect. It's one of the reasons big guys (jacked or fat) often have more trouble higher up.

>I always saw lifting as a DYEL thing to do

True. I was just thinking in the context of OP, who isn't going to be stacking his forearms/biceps/triceps/lats like fuckhuge benchmonsters do.

This might be the stupidest thread i have ever seen on Jow Forums, op leave this board

> does exercising do anything xd?

Attached: 1526104481200.jpg (252x274, 14K)

Saw a guy at the gym today that looked like he could have been pregnant, but was tiny everywhere else. Poor fuck. Guess what he was doing? Curls.

Isolation work is great if your back and legs need a break from squats and deadlift, but those two lifts should get priority.

Attached: feature_pregman.jpg (775x570, 121K)

First day on Jow Forums I see.

Obviously he means compared to doing other exercises.

I really like the plate loaded bicep curl machine. I think the one in my gym is by hammer strength, let's you really overload the bicep.

What a fucking joke. He looks goofy with all that bi and no forearm lol

>not doing pause bench

> I saw a weak DYEL fuck the other day. Guess where he was? Gym.
> Never going to a gym again.

Where did this curls are useless meme even stem from?

>I always saw it as a DYEL exercise

How retarded can you fucking be?

DYELs doing them and only them

biceps being the only muscles dyels are about

the classic "curlbro" that comes in with his friends. does nothing but curls and bench while high fiving then leave

In my experience there is no benefit in doing bicep curls. Work your arms/biceps in compounds movements presses, pulls etc.

If you want to workout your biceps do sets of weighted chinups/bodyweight chinups. You'll get a joocy bicep pump and back gains

post arms with timestamp

your back with nearly always fatigue faster than your biceps hence the need for isolation

Its a good accessory workout if someone's using the power rack and you need to kill some time, maybe warm up with it too

If you talk about your experience post your body as wel

I only do curls to prevent joint pain

>squats and deads as priority lifts

you know how i know you look like shit?

unless you're sub 15% body fat with 16" or greater arms, literally shut the fuck up you idiot DYEL.

>your forearms will nearly always fatigue faster than your biceps hence the need for isolation
Ftfy

This guy lifts. The forearms give in well before the biceps will, you'll get a forearm pump, but not the bicep gains you're wanting.

Better question is, is there any point to lifting for aesthetics? Past a certain point the only people you'll be impressing are other body builders so unless you're a fag it seems pretty pointless to me. I'd rather train for real competition instead of having imaginary beauty contests inside of my head all the time. (I.e. "the XXmogged" mentality that's popular on fit)

competing in strength is just as autistic as competing in size. past a certain point it's all diminishing returns. life until you're happy with how you look, then reduce intensity and lift for maintenance. use your extra spare time to develop other interests.