Can someone explain how I'm supposed to use these things? Like how do I know what level to put it at...

Can someone explain how I'm supposed to use these things? Like how do I know what level to put it at, what is a good pace to maintain, how long should I go for?

Attached: concept-2-model-d-rowing-machine1.png (400x268, 172K)

Other urls found in this thread:

concept2.co.uk/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/damper-setting-101
youtu.be/MnGwdJD8enU
youtube.com/watch?v=XDnuYJjZcBw
youtu.be/bGuTgIfDU_k?t=1m37s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pull in towards the crease of your hips. Make sure scapulae are depressed. Elbows tucked in. You want to initiate with the legs and only pull with upper body once legs are fully extended. Just do 30m like 20 times over a month or two and that will be enough for you to figure out optimal pace and length with practice and you can adjust from there.

You could have figured this all out with a YouTube video or two my dude.

3/4 resistance, learn proper form, go at a pace you can hold comfortably for half an hour, then start attempting to go further in that time. Make sure your form is always on point.

>3/4 resistance

Don't listen to this person, hasn't got a clue what he's talking about, if they did they wouldn't spread the same misinformed shit you hear everywhere.

Learn how to check the Damper setting, you gotta hold a few buttons on an older model c. You want it between between 100-140 to start with. I don't actually know the unit of the top of my head so I'm not gonna pretend I do know it. 100 if you're a little girl, 140 if you're 180lean or 200lb+. 3-4 on an unmaintained model C will be the same as 6-7 on a new model D. So DON'T listen to the 3/4, what does that even mean, 3/4 of the 10 so a 7.5 or somewhere around 3 or 4?

Stroke rate can be anywhere from 25-35 strokes per minute depending on your size/shape distance. When I started I was 32 strokes average, I'm closer to 26-7 now with a much longer and stronger pull... That doesn't come overnight. Ideally 25-32, 35 is too fast really.

Learn breathing. There's 2 ways to do it.

1. OUT on the PULL... IN on the RETURN.
2. OUT on the PULL... IN OUT IN (FAST) on the RETURN.

Number 2 takes some getting use to and is hard and you will need to learn how to breath with your diaphragm if you can't do that already. You get a lot more oxygen into you breathing this way.

concept2.co.uk/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/damper-setting-101

You want to aim at keeping the same pace throughout. If you're average is 2:00 / 500m you wanna start at 1:55 pace and finish at 2:05 pace. The most efficient thing you can do is maintain the same pace throughout but it's hardly possible to do.

In practice people throw in power 10s and have their own strategies, but mentally if you can maintain the same pace throughout you will expend the least amount of energy rowing that set amount of distance. Power 10s, fast then slow etc... is just extra energy expended moving the flywheel speed up and down.

As for technique, learn how to break the movement down into your legs, back, and the pull, also the return. Timing the transitions between legs to arms takes a long time. Watch the 2minute technique videos for hours on end, it's a lot more complex that it looks. You go to the gym and see people flopping about on the machine like a fish finishing the pull with a bent back and handle only half way extended. Row 5k and 10k with no straps and you will very quickly come to terms with the technique.

Rowing 2k in 8 minutes is a good start with 120 set as the damper. If you're smaller higher stroke (32) rate lower damper (100), if you're larger higher damper(140) lower stroke rate (26).

8:00 Likely wont die of heart attack in 40s
7:30 OK
7:00 pretty good
6:30 is very good
6:00 is elite

So I row on my Concept2 with the resistance set to 10.

I row a 10k in 44:38 at a consistent 28-31 rpm, with ~2:05 splits. Is this decent? I've been rowing regularly since March.

legs, arms, arms legs

drive with legs, pull with arms, return with arms return with legs

youtu.be/MnGwdJD8enU

Go through the whole series, fantastic.
youtube.com/watch?v=XDnuYJjZcBw

Love to see rowing threads. I can't really remember my times from more than a decade ago, but I approve of anyone giving it a shot.

Attached: rowing1.jpg (789x320, 123K)

>This much work to use a cardio machine

I'll just bike

Don't? The point of doing "that much work" is that it's good for you, man. Seriously, if you can do what is 40 minutes of erg work compared to 40 minutes of cycling work, more of your body will be in better shape in 1/3 the time.

I was rowing in high school and we should do 1:45-1:50 per km at 19 strokes per minute.

We only did 10-15 minutes for warming up or cool down though. To accompny weight training in the winter when the lake was frozen.

I always throw it on the highest resistance and do ~15 minutes as a warm up, gives your arms and shoulders a massive pump before lifting

youre weak

rowing is for college kid faggots

ok grandpa

post body

I row atm.

For 30 minutes at rate 20, make your first aim going 8km, which is 1:52.5. It's difficult and takes time, but this workout is a staple in most high level programs cause crazy gains in both strength and cardio. Also the low rate gives you time to focus on the technique and make changes. Nothing beats making a technical change and watch your split drop by a second for little/no extra work.

i'm trying to increase my spm. I can row comfortably at ~20 spm for 30min.

during the recovery phase, how hard should i be pulling myself back to the catch?

i figure, faster to the catch = higher spm.

Cyclist here. What 2k ERG time should I be able to achieve if my FTP on a bike is 375 watts? For reference I pulled a 6:40 the other day, and I probably could have gone faster except that my back and shoulders started to hurt like crazy.

biking doesn't work the same muscles as rowing you dunce

It works the ones that count, i.e. the quads and glutes

youtu.be/bGuTgIfDU_k?t=1m37s

>Like how do I know what level to put it at

kys

>I probably could have gone faster except that my back and shoulders started to hurt like crazy
Then you couldn't have gone faster dum dum

Don't row with the damper that high.
You still need lots of core and upper body strength to connect your hands to your feet (oars to boat) which cyclists do not have.

But this goes to 11