Sup Jow Forums I'm building a home gym

Sup Jow Forums I'm building a home gym

what's the best barbell? Is there a standard that everyone uses?

Attached: barbell.jpg (500x500, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JOy7D5LaoXw
amazon.com/Titan-Olympic-Capacity-Weight-Chrome/dp/B01LFU6JG2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

one that is 7 ft, made of medal, and is 45 lbs

What's your bar budget, and what sort of lifting do you plan on doing?

Depends, what are you using it for?
Powerlifting routine?
Ohio bar is solid from rogue
Go for the Ohio powerlifting bar if you are powerlifting (it has less flex for squat and bench)
Your barbell is the one piece of equipment you want to splurge on.

The official bar of fit is the CAP Standard Three piece barbell

I have a bunch of money but i'm not trying to waste it

I plan on doing oly meme lifts, squat, bench, DL, you name it

that's the one I'm looking at right now, seems very reasonably priced

is that the 300 dollar one?

also holy fuck I had no idea plates were so expensive, is there something I'm missing here or do you really need to spend 1 dollar a pound?

Don't cheap out.

Get an Eleiko Power Bar.

Its like 1100 USD, but goddamn, you'll feel every cent each time you grip it.

Attached: Plates3.jpg (2500x2500, 3.05M)

the cap bar falls apart at any semi appreciable weight so i don't hope you plan on lifting anything decent

>is there something I'm missing here or do you really need to spend 1 dollar a pound
Unless you find craigslist.

Steel can be recycled, so there is a floor price, so ya, they are going to be higher.

Also I have a Rogue Chan Bar.

Worth it

Attached: 3B00E8C4-C8A8-4AFD-860F-9BC5496D0471.png (1200x960, 191K)

If you want a bar that is good for Oly lifts as well as powerlifting, and only want a single "all in one" type bar, then the Ohio bar or B&R bar would both be good choices. Note, there is a difference in the Ohio bar and the Ohio POWER bar. The Ohio bar is a 28.5 mm bar with dual knurl marks and good spin. Either would suit your needs well, and have good value if you wanted to resell later. You can either buy these new, or pick them up from the Rogue boneyard for a discount price. I've bought two bars from the boneyard, and have had great experiences with them (Ohio power bar and Ohio deadlift bar).

You can get cheaper plates from craigslist or facebook. $1 per lb is about the max you should pay, but you can get them for 0.50/lb pretty frequently, sometimes even less. Be sure to get round plates. If you plan on doing snatches and cleans, then get a couple pairs of 45 lb bumpers as well. If you can't get them used from CL or FB, then Titan and Walmart both have cheap bumpers available that people seem to like.

Cheap plates with expensive bar = luxury

Cheap bar with expensive plates = shit no matter what lift you do.

>Cheap plates with expensive bar = luxury
I don't know about that.

I have some cheap ass cap plates, and the hole is oversized, so the plates fall over and shit. Annoying as hell.

Yeah you will need to spend around 300 on the bar
If your budget is limited to quality on bar and get used plates
You don't want a powerlifting bar if you want to do Oly lifts you want an all around bar like some other guy said b and r bar from rogue is a good choice
Maybe splurge on a set of 45s and 25s bumper plates if you can't find any used
You will pay a lot if you buy me gets new between shipping too

I used titan fitness to outfit my home gym (besides my rogue bar and Craigslist plates) and everything has held up great. Less than half the price of rogue, great customer service. FedEx delivered my package to the wrong house and they shipped me a new one no questions asked (I cancelled it after my neighbor gave me my package)

I'm currently looking at that for my birthday coming up. Its closeout on rogue for $195. whats the normal thickness of bars? is this 28.5mm fine for the chan bar? Also should I not get a closeout bar?

Get a pair of bumpers. A single pair of 45 lb bumpers can overcome the "too much inner diameter" problem of cheap plates. Never have your deadlift set up slump to one side ever again.

Bumping for my own curiosity and home gym building.

Attached: 1526783785705.jpg (397x288, 27K)

Don't buy more weight than you can lift. As you get stronger, buy more.

Really how does that work?
I have 500 lbs. In Craigslist plates and when I deadlift I have to set it up perfect so I can get the collar on right and they stay with leaning

Home gym Master race checking in
If you are on a budget get
Squat rack (cheaper than power rack and serves same purpose)
Flat bench
High quality barbell
Spotter arms (you will need these if you get a squat rack)
Cheap ass plates
One or two pair of bumpers
This basic set up cost me about 800 bucks and I got everything new but the plates (about 500 lbs. Worth)

Eventually you can add what you need because you will feel it out

Attached: Screenshot_20180530-212723.png (720x1280, 1.11M)

The bumpers are wide enough that even if they have some extra inner diameter, the bar will sit on top of them, and they can't "tilt" and remain stable in a titled position. So they just sit upright, with the bar resting inside them. I have the new York deep dish plates, they have extra inner diameter. My bumpers make it a non issue though.

If you’re just doing simple lifts a rogue should be fine. You don’t really need the more expensive stuff and a lot of the bars cheaper than it are kind of pain in the ass to use

Just get entry level so you can buy more things for phase 1 of your gym.

Is there anything particularly shitty about the closeout section on rogue's website? I'm eyeing that cheap chan bar...

nice copying me

just make your own out of sand

After a 2 years hiatus, I finaly got around to buying my weights.

>tfw can't lift anyways because I have a shingles eruption that will last another two weeks

Attached: 20180605_134409.jpg (2160x2160, 2.07M)

Nope. Both bars I've ordered from there have been excellent. UPS handling your bar properly is basically all you have to worry about. They beat the fuck out of one of my packages, and chipped a small area on my Ohio power bar. Fucking faggots.

Attached: IMG_20180209_214657 (1).jpg (3348x5952, 3.85M)

this is like saying "what kind of car should i get?"
you: "one that has wheels and a steering wheel as well because youll want to be able to steer it.
mongoloid

Attached: 1528098773710.png (703x911, 35K)

I ordered a generic bar, really cheap 7ft and rated for 500lb, then again I can't deadlift or squat because my back is fucked so all I use it for is the basic stuff

how does this dyel looking motherfucker have 4 plate im 190 i can heavy triple only 315

4 pl8 1rm isn't that much bro you will hit it soon
Also that guy doesn't look dyel to me

He ain't wrong, i got some no name barbell off craigslist been out in the rain for 3 years no problem.

What's the difference between low end and high end bars and plates? How does one define best barbell??

He isn't though. There's plenty of qualitu differences and weight capacities. If you plan on using more than baby weight, getting a random bar from craigslist is a shitty idea since for all you know it might only be rated to hold 200lbs. The 700lb one I got wasn't unreasonably expensive and I feel good knowing it won't give out anytime soon.

You want the weight to actually have been calibrated properly when it was made. You ever use a plate that says it's 45lbs, but then you get curious and weigh it and it was 41.5? That happens a lot with low end weights. For bars, you want something that will hold the weight you're using. It's fine to have a little give, but if it's becoming permanently misshapen under low weight it's poor quality end.

It's like the difference between a $20 costume from Amazon vs. what Henry Cavill wore on set.

>Cheap barbell
These are usually made out of shitty Chinese steel. They will be pretty and chromed up to the hide the fact they are actually giant pieces of shit. There will shitty knurl on the bar that offers little in the way of grip. The sleeves will be bolted onto the bar. You will need to continuously retighten these bolts as you do any heavy lifts from the ground. Eventually, the threads will fail and the sleeves will come off of the bar. Sleeves will have shitty spin on the bar. The bar itself will bend from heavy deadlifts within a year of serious strength training, assuming you get a straight bar to begin with. The resale value is garbage.

>Quality bar
Will likely cost $200-300, but you can spend essentially as much as you want. These bars will either be stiff (power bar), have some whip (multi use bar), or lots of whip (deadlift bar). However stiff or whippy they are, they will return to their straight form once unloaded, because they are made of quality steel and have high tensile strengths (very difficult to warp them). They will have smooth spin, with bearing bars made for weightlifting have more spin. The knurl will be uniform, with an appropriate aggressiveness based on the intended use of the bar. There will be either PL, WL, or knurl marks for both. The sleeves will have either bushing or bearing, and snap rings or some other assembly mechanism that will last basically forever. The resale value is generally very good.

Quality bars in the $200-300 range are the Ohio power bar, Texas power bar, B&R bar, Ohio bar. I've no used one, but the Wonder bar seems to be a slightly cheaper one that people seem to like.

Attached: drinkmorewater.gif (237x250, 449K)

Informative posts.
Thanks for answering my question.

You fucking retard a barbell is far more different than a car for you to call on that comparison. Fuck off and never trick some girl into letting you put another retarded seed inside her.

Jesus Christ, you fucking retards. It's a piece of steel with two things that spin on the end, not a fucking technological marvel. Even the cheapest steel 28mm bar will take over 500 pounds, more than most people here will ever lift.

If you want to talk about muh knurling, muh bar diameter, muh spin, that's fine, but most people won't notice much different between different bars and the difference is pretty trivial. You cannot seriously compare it to a car. That's fucking ridiculous.

My barbell bent by the time I hit 4 plate on deadlift. There are some really cheap, shitty bars that come in the 300 lb sets.

That's a bit different and still pretty rare. Even cheap 100K yield strength steel takes something like 500 pounds before permanently bending and most cheap bars now are now much higher. They're making cheap bars that are stronger than any bar twenty years ago now. Maybe yours was all Chinese pot steel, but I don't think you can buy something that weak off the shelf and outside of a set where they just throw anything in.

Of course if you drop the bar, the loads on it go through the roof, but that's the same with any bar. Even the most expensive bars can bend if they hit the pins or a bench or just come down funny. Conversely, I've deadlifted 300 pounds on just a hollow piece of thin galvanized pipe, without it bending. You shouldn't rack pull or high drop anything bar you want to keep around. You'll also want a cheaper bar if you ever get a landmine attachment. Most people should cheap first and see where you end up. Once they're actually good at lifting they can worry about bar size and knurling.

youtube.com/watch?v=JOy7D5LaoXw

What the fuck else do you want? It's an extremely standardized and simple thing that is more or less the same no matter where you buy it from. Not equatable to buying a car at all. You're one of those faggots who asks for advice on which brand of ab roller to buy too, aren't you?

Attached: dude.gif (271x276, 1.98M)

Ayyy Are you australian too?

>made of medal

Idk diamond is a little out of my budget

I just bought this: amazon.com/Titan-Olympic-Capacity-Weight-Chrome/dp/B01LFU6JG2
With the power cage from fitnes reality that's also on amazon. Got some ethos bumper plates to go with.

Just get one that's easy on the hands for when you're trying to hit people with it.

Attached: raar.jpg (1024x683, 56K)

yeah but diamond is too heavy, one gram weighs something like 15 grams

Home gym owner, is EZ bar worth buiyng?

rogue ohio bar is great bar for great price

Not DYEL wtf, look at his fucking arms

calves might not be fuckhueg but who cares about calves when squatting

Got an Ohio Powerbar in my gym
It's really great, would recommend.
I would kill for a blue or green cerakote Ohio Powerbar like you can get in burgerland, but Rogue does sell that in Aus

am i going to snap my shit up?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 5.07.07 AM.png (1372x134, 57K)

Are landmines known to damage bars?
I haven't noticed any damage on mine
And it wouldn't make sense if it did because it wraps around the outer part where the plates usually are anyway....

I've got a bar holder which has sleeves like a landmine.
Damn thing scratched the endcap on my powerbar.
Just cosmetic though, so whatever

for powerlifting my gym has ohio power bars, some buddy caps texas power bars, and a B&R bar. i like how the tpb feels the best for everything

>
>

XMARK

LUMBERJACK

BOOOOOOYYYYY

Just don't buy anything made of chinesium

Or buy a few of those for that ego boost when a sub 600lbs sumo pull or high bar hold is enough to make your own buffalo bar

Weight limits range from like 300 and way up.

So yea, there is a difference, unless you plan on staying a dyel and not going heavy.

Attached: b0a.jpg (528x359, 27K)

You don't understand what you are talking about. The weight limit is both for liability issues and for marketing, so they can sell bars to the people who aren't going to ever touch them up to the power lifters who think they need a 1500 pound test bar.

Cheaper bars aren't tested at the factory, which is why the rating is very low. What the bar itself can support depends on the type of steel and treatment, but practically all types of steel round bar that size will hold 500 pounds. You can buy a 1500 pound rated bar for $130 anyway, so your argument is pretty fucking dumb.

At least admit that you, and your similar minded friends are snobs and the same type of people who think they can taste the faint brap of a Peruvian worker in their coffee beans. I've seen a lot of weak people with practically no grip strength start pretending they need more aggressive knurling for their weak deadlift. What your bar is like doesn't matter unless you're a top ranked competitive power lifter. Just lift the fucking thing.

>7964▶
>File: b0a.jpg (27 KB, 528x359)
XMARK

LUMBER

JACK

Quit shilling your chink 700 pound shit bar.

That how you take care of barbells. Get a pair of snap ring pliers so you can maintain the bushings as well.

My dude I got mine on Facebook market for $40. Craigslist works too.

It ain't great but it's enough to put plates on and get started lifting.