Gym worker yelled at me for doing compound exercises

>gym guy gave me a train
>it's shit, high rep range, every single thing is on a machine, can't get any results from it
>start following a Jow Forums approved train instead (Michael Matthews')
>gym guys only taught me how to do squats at smith machine
>read up that it's shit
>ask gym worker how to squat without smith machine
>"user we don't allow you to do that because it's dangerous, you could hurt yourself"
>end up doing it at the smith machine
>after that do leg press
>next train in line is Romanian Deadlift
>try to do it but confused because I'm just replicating the deadlift
>ask a gym worker how it differs from normal deadlift
>"user, which teacher you that?"
>tell him no one, I read it from a book
>guy flips
>"YOU THINK A BOOK HAS MORE KNOWLEDGE THAN SOMEONE WITH A DEGREE?"
>listen to his schooling then go home

Guess I am not making it.

Attached: 1499833114282.jpg (251x231, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HvpEURMRZI4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fag

Lmao, did you let him fuck your mom and girlfriend too?

What was I supposed to say? He works there, I'm just a costumer. All I thought the whole time was "I should look for a different gym". But I just took a look and there's no other gym in a 5km range.

wait, does that guy legitimately not know what a deadlift is or are your lower back muscles ripped?

get your money back, or speak to a manager

>5km
if it's less than 15km, you can easily drive

you can get fit with machines too. compounds aren't necessary if you want to look good

It was not a deadlift, it was a "Romanian Deadlift". I don't know if he didn't know how to do it, he just got angry when I said I got the idea from a book. During his speech he said "We don't usually assign deadlifts because they are very hard. Even I can't do it properly. I have seen you doing it before and your form is... It's pretty bad. (...)"
And he is right, my form is bad, I'm still a beginner and such, but at least I was getting gains, adding weight every week and slowly improving my form, so I don't think it was wasted
I'm still a university student and getting a car is still not worth it for me.
>you can get fit with machines too. compounds aren't necessary if you want to look good
At first I just wanted to look good, but now I'm in for strength. It just feels too good to squat a fuckton, even if it's on the smith machine

This, also complain loudly and a lot about that fag of a trainer who didn’t know shit, make sure his boss knows that’s he is the explicit reason for you wanting a refund and moving gyms. I hope his degree is laminated, that way he can use it to cover his box house when he loses his job.

Give us a video of diddly form. I’m a form autist, I’ll see you right.
Also if you can’t find another gym you should still complain about that trainer being a condescending fag. He’s there to help you, not berate you. Especially if you’re a beginner.

Animefag BTFO. Get rekt.

>you think a book has more knowledge than someone with a degree?
If it’s a degree that doesn’t require reading books, then that’s almost a definite yes.

>Lain
>anime

Ignore him at all costs. 5 minutes of coaching will make people deadlift correctly and the fact he says he can't even do them properly speaks volumes as to how useful his Mickey mouse degree really is.

user ignore this faggot. Everytime he corrects you, immediately go back to what you were doing before. Listen to him and then ignore him immediately. This will piss him off so much that he womt bother talking to you again.

I'll record next time I'm at the gym. Also, he told me that he will be the teacher responsible for my trains, and he told me to bring the book's train to him tomorrow so he can take a look and do the necessary adjustments to make it "official", and that I shouldn't do exercises that are not assigned to me again.
I'll play along his idea because I have the dim hope that I can convince him to not change anything, but depending on what happens tomorrow I might just complain at the front desk about him and train on my own, getting form instructions from YouTube and such

Still pretty astonished at a gym doing this with costumers who are just trying to get fit, does this happen often or am I just unlucky?

user the fact that he told you to do smith machine squats means he is a retard. Stay away from him. Stop hanging around people you dont like because you don't want to hurt their feelings.

just do your thing mang, lurk here and look at videos on youtube etc

fuck the normie mongs

Attached: tumblr_o8d4g71QXr1u6jismo5_1280.jpg (605x605, 62K)

The thing with smith machine is they literally won't let people squat properly because it is dangerous. And if people get hurt from that the gym can get in legal trouble or something. Not sure if other teachers would let it slide. He said I can at the very most "do it with very low weight and high reps".

Depending on the gym this can be normal. Usually they're nowhere near as pushy though. If he keeps bitching tell him you're not interested and that you'll be doing your own thing from now on. Nothing wrong with that. If it continues, tell him to leave you alone.

Don't let him put you off either. Takes some learning but you can learn to lift no problem on the net.

Just go and train without him, go train when he's not working or something if you have to. But that guy is a total dumbshit don't fuck around with him anymore.

the customer is always right you fucking idiot. You're paying for him to teach you this shit. Just how your defeatist ass payed that english teacher and he didn't teach you jack shit.

hahahaha nigga is this for real? don't pay attention to the guy, tell him to get lost and you don't need him
are you 12 or something? dumbass, man up

Hey brother. First off, fuck that guy. Don't pay him too much mind. Secondly, find a different gym. I know you said ther'e's no gym in a 5K range, but if it's like only another kilometer or something, why not add some cardio to your workout regiment?

Ok this seems like a troll to piss me off at this point. Gg

Are you paying extra for personal training? If so ask for your money back. If not then complain that he’s being too pushy, then he’ll go away. Also state you’re prepared to sign any release waver that will abdicate their responsibility of your health and safety regarding squats. You need to squat outside the smith, it’s the only way to squat proper, otherwise you don’t get a feel for balance and your supporting musculature will be severely lacking.
Actually, do they not have a power/squat rack? Those things have safeties so you don’t fuck yourself, much safer than a smith IMO.

Alright fuck, I'll tell him away and attempt to keep going exclusively with internet coaching
I already do 5k runs so that would be easy, but I can only train at 7PM and the streets are very fucking dangerous at that time in my city, as in I'd be guaranteed to get mugged within a month

He’s a beginner erring on the side of caution. You’d be just as retarded blindly following the advice from a Micronesian personality assessment forum.

There is. To be quite honest I did try it (with the very low weight they allowed me to) and it did seem dangerous. Sometimes my legs get way too close to failure at the Smith and I almost fall despite the fact I don't even need to keep balance, I reckon if that happened at squats things would not be pretty for me
But then there's the fact I'm not braindead, I'd just go lower weight and be extra careful about not pushing too hard, but at least I get why they only assign people to the Smith, I can see injuries being common with normal squats

My gym trainers avoid me lol because I'm a depressive cunt. But I usually shake hands with them and have asked them for advice a few times. They aren't pushy and are generally pretty chill (I once got told by this Chad-ass trainer not to drink monsters at the gym since they have a no-can policy... *here he lowered his voice* unless it's the gym's official energy drink brand kekku. I usually drink my sips before the gym now.

>not to drink monsters at the gym since they have a no-can policy
That's somehow more stupid than OP's incident.

Attached: 1504292927955.jpg (1920x1080, 159K)

>We don't usually assign deadlifts because they are very hard. Even I can't do it properly.
This mofo has a degree and can't do deadlifts?
You can probably kick his ass, user. Teach him some respect.

Attached: Alone.jpg (179x176, 4K)

Safeties are pretty easy to use, I’m sure there’s probably a billion tutorials on YouTube for setting the safeties at acceptable height/safely bailing out of a squat using safeties.

I just looked up and my gym does not actually have a power rack. They have a place where people do exercises similar to squat, which I mistook for a power rack, but it's something else. I did some googling around and it looks like pic related, except without the bench. Alas, there's no safety, if I were to fall it'd be flat on my back, not sure if it's still worth doing squats outside the Smith then

Attached: 1519275769690.jpg (225x225, 4K)

Senpai, do you have any sources for good squat and diddly form?

I want to make sure I find someone to copy who's form is actually good

Not the guy you are replying to but I find it difficult to copy forms you watch online, it's difficult to tell which muscles are supposed to be used for the lift (unless they mention it in the video)
Even then, asking someone to coach you in the gym is much easier, and it works unless you're trying to do something difficult like a deadlift which people have differing opinions on how it's meant to be done (or more like most of them can't do it)
Squats should be easy to get reliably coached IRL

Are you a fucking fag?

Just do what you wanna do. Why care? Adopt a "so what?" mentality

What “degree” does this guy have? Was he some what fit or a skinny fat dyle looser?

Get a new gym. The guy doesn't know jack shit

These OP, or just ignore him and keep doing compounds. Ask another lifter, they will probably help you, be friendlier about it, and won't have an agenda. The trainer is just mad because you have access to knowledge he doesn't want you to have. He'd rather have you pay him to do mostly useless exercises for little results so you pay him again to do the same thing. That "trainer" and his poor excuse of a degree should be fired.

>I'll play along his idea because I have the dim hope that I can convince him to not change anything,
Don't do this. He will change something, even if it is fine as is, because he needs you to become dependant on him to get paid. He's screwing you and you're paying him to do it.

a degree doesn't teach you how to lift

i have a kin degree as well, i work as a personal trainer

all i ever do is teach people how do deadlift, sumo, romanian, squat, ohp, bench, row

I found Alan thrall and omar isuf’s deadlift videos pretty good. But honestly for deadlifts, like many lifts, the exact form is going to change depending on your proportions. Don’t copy someone who is good, take a form video (from the side) and take advice from people who look like they lift like you do. However I think Omar and Alan both have good tips for any proportions and are both geared towards beginner lifters.
I’ll be on the lookout for your form check thread so I can give you tips. If the same dude tries to give you shit for doing diddlies then thank him for his advice but say you don’t think his training method is the best way to achieve your goals. If he still tries to insist, ask if he would like to take it up with his manager. If he accepts the offer to take it up with his manager calmly explain you are paying good money for the use of gym equipment and so long as you aren’t compromising said equipment you should be able to do as you please.
There’s usually an accountability waiver you sign at the start of your membership that makes you liable for any injuries sustained by gym equipment on the premise so they shouldn’t have any reason to not let you squat/diddly.

Those blue things look something like safeties, if the rack there has them you can probably use them as such.

The blue things are from where you pick up the bar. So imagine yourself stepping there, picking the bar, doing some steps backwards. There is nothing behind you. I'd need to do a 180º spin for the rack to be behind me, which is retarded, and I'm not sure if the rack can "catch" the bar if I ever fall, especially considering my balance is still shit so I might twist the bar's angle

the worker serves the customer user. not the other way around. stop paying money to do bullshit you don't want to do

do goblet squats with a dumbell, look up a video of someone doing them
theyll teach you the squat pattern and help you escape the smith
and show us what program you're doing

tfw i can tell you're a severe social autist and you're obviously twisting what really happened, that personal trainer was likely completely in the right but we can only rely on your autistic version of events

Attached: 1516972457016.png (796x807, 311K)

I'll tell him if he shows any intention in bossing me around again. Gonna report what happens tomorrow if the thread is still alive.

My program is

Note: All these are 3 sets of 4-6 reps unless it's specified that it's hypertrophy, then it's 8-12. First exercise of the day always has warm-up.

Day 1 - Chests and Calfs
Inclined Bench Press (Barbell)
Inclined Bench Press (Dumbbell)
Bench Press (Barbell)
Optional: Triceps Dips, or Bench Press w/ dumbbells if too weak for dips
Calf exercises

Day 2 - Back and Abs
Deadlift
Bent Rows
Chin-ups (any grip)
Optional: Pulldown w/ closed grip
Optional: some shit I can't translate to English
3 to 6 ab sets

Day 3 - Shoulder and Calfs
Military press (sitting or standing)
Lateral Raise
Bent Over Lateral Raise
Calfs again

Day 4 - Upper Body and Abs
Inclined Bench Press (hypertrophy, so 8-12 reps)
Biceps Curl (barbell)
Bench Press w/ closed grip
Alternated Biceps Curls w/ dumbbell
Sitting Bench Press but with a very close grip to work triceps, dunno exact English equivalent
3 to 6 ab exercises

Day 5 - Legs and Shoulders
Squats
Leg Press
Romanian Deadlift
Lateral Raise (hypertrophy sets)
Inclined Lateral Raise (hypertrophy sets)
Calfs
It was actually worse than what I am reporting since I did not mention most of what he said in his silly speech. He went "Dude you got absolutely no experience. You got like a few months. We went through college for this" etc, but it doesn't matter

The top ones are where you pick up the bar, the bottom ones look like safeties. But I’m going to second this user
Goblet squats would be a great place to start if you’re nervous about squatting. Then you’ll be able to squat correctly before moving on to barbell squats.

>dumb DYEL animeposter autistically faffs about at a gym and then gives up
LMAOing at your life for real. This is the type of catharsis I needed today.

My bad, I'm not OP.

But I appreciate the info user. Good looking out.

Attached: 1513009097159.jpg (960x960, 157K)

OP if you are paying for a personal trainer and they aren't working out I might suggest looking in to a crossfit place. Everyone in here will shit on me for suggesting it but it's changed my life. Up to you.

>laughing at a beginner trying navigate the myriad of cunts and bullshit in order to make some gains.
Your a shitcunt, mate. I hope you realise that.

I am an asshole and I can accept that. I just really enjoy seeing autists like OP flailing.

my friend did that and got jacked/strong fast but i do believe that it has a high injury rate which is a big deal

You're the autist here mate, fuck off retard

Do they have normal squat racks? If so, why?

They have exactly pic related, I am not sure how safe it is for squats, seemed dangerous to me but I'd risk it anyway for the gains
I'm not giving up.

Attached: 1517890321007.jpg (650x654, 56K)

personally i'd rather squat more than once a week, especially since you're new to the movement and need practice
post a video of your main lifts (squat, bench, dead, press) from a side angle when you can

You should've just threatened to end your membership then and there. These places don't want to lose your business. Best case scenario the faggot might've gotten fired for being such a fucking autist

Attached: angry.png (1920x1080, 620K)

Goblet squats, my dude. Great starting point if you’re nervous about squatting a barbel. It’s a great way to get used to the squat motion and build a base layer of muscle.
Also Where did you get this routine from? It seems like a bit much for a beginner.

How should I hold the dumbbells if I'm doing 2 dumbbell squats? I'm doing 5x5 and I'm up to 80lbs and the gym I use currently only has single dumbbells going up to 50lbs, but im moving to a new gym soon hopefully. I used to be able to hold the weight upright, as if I were doing a pull up but it's just gotten too heavy for that, and holding the weights out to my side fuck up my leg position.

Michael Matthews, from his "Bigger, Leaner, Stronger" book
I love it and it's just about enough for me. Only struggling with shoulder days, I can't do any of the exercises there with respectable weight, but I'm doing good progress with all others.
I like squats so I'd be down for that but not sure where to insert them.

its alright buddy

not even going to read the greentext just call him a faggot and get bigger than him

add them to day 1 or 3, along with a few sets of goblet squats
if time is an issue nix the calf work, its not important enough to do 3x a week

consider bulgarian split squats, and definitely get a new gym

This. Ignore that asshole and do what you want.

What the fuck? Why does he have any say in what you work out? Just do your own thing and keep to yourself. I seriously hope you didn't pay for him as a personal trainer...

A romanian deadlift is just a deadlift with near straight legs.

Very different to a normal deadlift.

Lol no they arent.

thats a stiff legged deadlift dummy
RDL starts from the top and doesnt touch the ground

Gotta strive for those mental gains my friend, or all the muscle in the world wont help you make it. Right after that freak out you should have told him off. Stand up for yourself, because you shouldnt rely on others doing that for you.

this, but don't call it a partial life, or you upset the powerlifters

Yeah, I am awful at being verbally aggressive with others, even in self defense, it's a childhood thing

>being so beta that you didn't play your trap card, "The Customer is Always Right."

Your gym probably doesn't want you to use it because failing a rep with one of those stands means you fuck up their floor.
See youtube.com/watch?v=HvpEURMRZI4 as an example of how to do it.

Tell him to fuck off with his shit degree.

If he can't coach a proper deadlift with a degree it means he doesn't have a real degree. Call him out on his bullshit, ask him to stop bothering you and ignore that fucker.

Why tf do you have a trainer in the first place like just do your own thing fuck em

If serious, gym trainers are 100% meant to give you a "burn" but not make you work hard. Like just enough to make you break a sweat, but not enough to make you sore the next day.

You'll never make it with a gym trainer.

>actually training calves
Why? Shit's like 99% genetic.