Powerlifting General - /plg/

Where people go to delude themselves into thinking that trying harder doesn't work, and you shouldn't take advice from people who have taken steroids.

Attached: dt-mathew-2.jpg (1536x1024, 128K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PhjRUkz9HcY&list=PLay35yyVnKRtUPpwCoFcTsMS55Z3Vr9cJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>weigh 230ish
>pull 420 lb beltless for a single
>some guy in the locker room starts talking to me
>"that's some big weight"
>mfw

Damned kids.

>WAWTT
>WAWET
>WAWLTT
>WAWFT

Attached: KimDisgust.jpg (970x1117, 108K)

Running 5th and for the past 3 weeks I've been pulling 10 reps on my 5th set amrap. Did i set my TM too low? Should I just stick to it? It should equal itself out eventually, right?

why does it matter, if the weights are going up and the difficulty is the same just keep at it my man

the potassium thing helped me a lot thanks gbro my face shrank a lot

>WAWTT
Bench: 80%x5, 75% 4x6
Deadlift: 82.5%-87.5%x3, probably going for 87.5%, 80% 4x4
DB rows: 4x12
3 way shoulder raise: 3x10, 10, 10

If increasing volume over time is the way to progress, and I went on a high volume routine early on, am I fucked and the only way to progress is to increase weight doing the same high number of sets, or can I do a lower volume routine for some time to lose the adaptation and then slowly increase the volume over time?

Take 2 weeks for your next deload, minimize volume and intensity, do some odd lifts you wouldn't normally do and you'll be fine.

>WAWTT

Drag curl, one-handed reverse-grip cable curl, leg press, seated leg curl.

>WAWET

Meat and rice. Gonna try to find some cheesecake later.

>WAWLTT

Not sure yet. I might want to try something new.

>WAWFT

I took today off after working nine days in a row (one of which was nearly twenty hours of travel). I'm really tired, but I'm looking forward to the three-day weekend.

There's some debate on this. Some people consider it to be a threshold situation, where you shouldn't go up in volume until you need to for fear of "wasting the threshold". Others say that the extra volume would be effectively wasted on a younger trainee, and you can (or maybe should) just drop down to something more appropriate to your level.

So with those two weeks my body will 'forget' the high volume, right? My concern is basically wondering how would I progress if I switch to a lower volume routine?

You would build better neural efficiency and muscular recruitment.

So there's no clear answer then? And there's a possibility I fucked up? Either way I wasted the threshold or I wasted a fuck load of time and effort, awesome :^)

Where do I get cheap potassium
I eat a lot of legumes they're supposed to have potassium right

>tfw OMAD + saltwater during training and OMAD + dryfast on off days
In this moment, I am euphoric.

Why would lower volume mean getting better at those things? And does that mean that I would not get more muscle mass?

they sell potassium salt under the name ''lite salt''

You mean food? I eat carrots and raisins.

>WAWTT
Rest day today, have some close grip bench and deadlifts tomorrow along with upper body pump stuff

>WAWET
Going out to lunch in a bit with some co-workers since it's a slow day at work, not sure where yet

>WAWLTT
The weekend

>WAWFT
Pretty good. Gonna have a pretty comfy weekend of playing video games with some friends then visiting and staying with my gf for a 3 day weekend next week.

>how would I progress if I switch to a lower volume routine?
you wouldnt

Generally, the higher the intensity you do, the lower the volume you do, and visa versa. Training with heavy weights makes you better at lifting heavy weights and recruiting muscle. You would gain muscle, but not as much as someone primarily focused on hypertrophy.

>WAWTT

The Press, 50 rep goblet squats, 50 rep chins, 25 rep dips, 50 reps SLDL + shrugs

>WAWET

Pork, veggies and a lot of orange juice

>WAWLTT

youtube.com/watch?v=PhjRUkz9HcY&list=PLay35yyVnKRtUPpwCoFcTsMS55Z3Vr9cJ

>WAWFT

My exams started well, so all is good.

If the volume is equal to or greater than MEV then of course he could

Could, not would

The intensity you use determines the effect of your training. The volume determines the magnitude of that effect.

>WAWTT
Squat 1x5 PR
CGBP 1x5 PR W Dips 4x8
T Bar row 5x10
4x20 db press
3x8 w chins and 3xf w chins
tricep stuff

3xf bw* chins

The clear answer is that you need to stop being a little worrying bitch and just go put the work in.

It's probably fine. It's a learning experience. Personally, I don't believe that volume is limited to thresholds. I've dropped from moderate-volume to low-volume and made better gains afterwards.

What if hypothetically I was also doing high intensity because I had a lot of free time? Would switching to lower volume be useless in that case, then?
Yeah but how much work? I'm basically doing upper lower with high volume 6 times a week and it got to the point that it's mentally killing me, but I'm worried that going with less volume will mean no results.
I hope so. Tbh it does sound implausible that by doing more volume early on I'd have fucked my way to make progress.

Bananas i eat 2-3 every day

no, you can re-sensitize yourself to volume

Take an off-season for 4-6 weeks and just do variations 3-4 days per week. Front squats, close grip pressing, snatch grip deads. Improve your conditioning. Change your focus.

When you come back, you'll respond again.

Never give advice again.

is there even any point in doing a hypertrophy phase if i'm cutting

Okay 4 plate deadlifter.

who do I listen to?

He was talking about you, not the deadlift.

Attached: big guy.jpg (1280x720, 213K)

me

ah well

kek

Pretty sure he was talking about the deadlift though, since he said it right after asking me how much I was lifting.

This. Was doing C6W for a while and did like 6000kg squat volume in a session in week 2. On 5th set I do that in 2 sessions with squat and deadlift combined. Actually less. Only on my first week but it feels wrong. Hopefully i works though, because C6W sure didn't.

>Hopefully i works though, because C6W sure didn't.
because c6w is a peaking program made for candito himself during a specific period in his life

cant believe people still do that program lmao

Sure, but when it's shilled and you don't know anything then that's where you end up.

But the 2nd week of it is pretty high volume and I handle that fine, so it feels odd going into something where I do so much less.

Seems to me all his programs have really heavy loads too, must reflect his own training a lot or how he deflates his inputs if he does.

its 2 week of volume and every set is pretty much at or very very close to failure

this is a smolov tier shock cycle followed by very low volume for 3 weeks. Its pretty much a peaking program. Its not how you make progress

I understand, I understand!
It just takes some time getting used to the idea of doing something else, you know.

form check lads
am i leaning too far forward?
knees ok?
back straight enough?

Attached: IOYI9574.webm (540x960, 2.87M)

No but your stance seems narrow as fuck, thats why you fall over

Get out of the habit of dumping your squat that one you could have had it if you stuck with it easy, instead you pussied out. Otherwise your squat is fine.

I don't get it

believe me bud i go to failure often, i know when i have a rep and when i dont.

It's not a very big deadlift, especially for my bodyweight.

Is that high bar?

yes

It's hard to tell by the video but it doesn't look like you brace that much. Suck in a lot of air and try to expand your sides.

You also seem to get all the weight in front of you almost at your toes. Am I right or do you not feel it?

So has anyone ever done Hepburn for bench? How did it work out?

I did the 8x2 -> 8x3 version, worked well for me but I had to change it to 6x2 -> 6x3 because ohp gave me bursitis.

R8 my fractional pl8s

Attached: 20180608_132732.png (1438x1080, 2.17M)

Arch thoracic harder to keep your positioning in the hole

Looks like youre just pushing knees forward instead of out

Your quads are too weak for the movement so your hips are shifting back out of the hole

I think being a GDE did that.

That's some old school shit! I think it will work if you are intermediate but I've never tried it. Seems logical though

Eventually your joints get rekt

How long did you do it and where did it take your bench?
Did you stall on it at any time, where you couldnt replace a set of 2s by 3s?

Well, I am stalled since ages on nuckols and I dont think I can keep progressing with it. I think i ran that shit close to a year now, maybe the body getting used to stuff isnt that big of a meme and it has adapated by now. Not sure if that is a thing though

Why? Because of the high intensity?
What if I do them paused? That would allow less weight and also assure that I dont do any bouncy shit.

>I'm basically doing upper lower with high volume 6 times a week
But why?

I did it for a couple months. Started at 265 8x2 and ended at attempting 305 2x3, 4x2, didn't stall at all prior to that

Your joints will get fucked because you work so many singles so close to your max

Too many reps above 80-85%.

The majority of your work needs to be closer to 70% otherwise bar speed slows, and you get stale and burned out.

Source?

t. Newer lifter

If you've done any appreciable amount of volume at 80%+ for an extended period of time, you'd know what he was talking about.

Nah

Yah.

As a beginner, you can do all your work at 85-90%.

As an intermediate, 70-85%.

As an advanced lifter, most of your volume might be between 65-80%.

lifts
50 reps squats for volume
25 reps ish pin squats at %140 1RM
leg curls, calf raises

eat
eggs, milk, pasta, home grilled wings

did it (did the whole program for squat DL and OHP) for 5 months before a comp took my comp binch from 117.5 to 142.5 (in comp both)
It's okay as a porgram however the volume really beats you down and if I was transitioning between jobs so I had shitloads of free time I don't think I would have done as well.

tldr do it if you have free time and you have some experience with editing programs.

I believe you guys that this is the case for squats and definitely deadlifts.
But we are talking about the bench, the lift that needs a fuckton of volume and everything.
I don’t buy that you get blown out by benching, it’s just not exhausting enough at all.
That’s why I also never understood the lower volume weeks of nuckols bench programs. Doesn’t make any sense to me, week 3 over and over seems to make more sense.

know a guy who went from 100->140 bench with it, worked great for him

for squats/deadlifts it will break you

>I don’t buy that you get blown out by benching, it’s just not exhausting enough at all.
Probably because you don't bench very much.

What's your binch ?

I don’t understand how that helps the argument.
Yes, I don’t bench very much - but that just means I shouldn’t follow what you claimed anyway.
I bench 155kg, which is enough for me to be stalled, but apparently, according to you, not enough that I couldn’t run Hepburn for it.
Is that our conclusion? Hepburn Safe at that weight?

>mom insisted on buying me a birthday gift a couple weeks ago
>titan longhorn QR
>she mentioned today that it's going to be a few weeks before it comes, I told her I already knew that
>tell her that they make some pretty beautiful finished leather belts
>show her some of them, the $300+ line
>she tells me she would have been willing to get me one of them
wow dang

Attached: 1509337979269s.jpg (250x187, 6K)

If you run Hepburn for Bench once per week, then some lighter weight close-grip, incline, or whatever for 25-40 reps around 70%, you'd probably be fine.

Doing lots of doubles and triples is fine, as long as you're supplementing with lower intensity volume, and as long as your'e not going stale.

When I was writing my exams today the girl that was sitting in front of me was playing with her hair and covered half my desk. She did that about 10 times. Explain.

They're just pussies.

She didn't know you existed.

I went from 230-300 deadlift on it

But it did break me

She doesn't care. If she's pretty just tell her: hey your hair is nice but it's getting in the way

Did you tell her to move it?

>WAWTT
Warm up
4x25 DB Bench
Supersetted with
4x25 banded facepull

Main work
Pause bench into chain 5x3
Bench 3x8
Dips 5x10
Smith row 5x10
Iso lat pull down 2x20 per hand
3x20 curl
3x20 pushdown
2x20 upright cable row

so i'm pretty drunk and i'm having a classic case of autisticaly overthinking things

basically my problem is this
if you do 10 singles or one set of 10 (with the same weight), the long set will be more beneficial volume-wise. because not all volume is created equal, and doing 1 rep at 100% is much more useful tha ndoing 4 reps at 25%, etc.
(reasonably) hard reps contribute much more towards USEFUL volume than piss easy reps, and i'm looking for a proper mathematical way (insret louieposting here :DDD) to qiuantify how much USEFUL volume you're doing
so i'm fucking around with a spreadaheet and formulas and stuff but i'm too tired and probably going to ebd soon

i'll keep you updated if i find anythign useful tomorrow

>thx 4 reeding blog ;)

Overthinking Simple Shit 101

So you would recommend having only a single day in the entire week where you bench with somewhat intensity? That sounds a little overdone.
Maybe make it 2 Hepburn days 1 70%ish stuff?

A heavy day low reps and a light day high reps is pretty basic and effective

yes i literally said i was overtihnking it
do you thing you're clever you fucking faggot

everything went wrong at the gym today so I came home, yelled at my mum, ran upstairs and slammed my door and jumped on my bed crying while burying my face in my arms and the My chemical romance poster on my door fell down and I can't even

2 days of 16-24 reps at 80-85%.

So 32-48 reps of 80% or more, then one day of 25-40 reps of 70% work.

Try it and find out. Sounds like a top-heavy pyramid to me, but it's your training.

density is a factor in considering for 1x10 vs. 10x1
The 1x10 will come quickly to a high relative intensity. The 10x1 will not come as quickly, but it can be made useful if you make the 10 singles operate on limited rest/cluster sets.
So if you did a single at that weight every 30 seconds, it would give you 10 starts, slightly less fatigue than the 1x10 set, but still likely be productive volume.
you could look at INOL heatmaps to get an idea of attaching a "hard value" to individual reps and the cumulative reps in sets, though I think that using INOL has limits on how useful it is in the same way that Prilepin's chart has limits in its usefulness for PL

>but it can be made useful if you make the 10 singles operate on limited rest/cluster sets
true, but right now i an assuming you're getting enough rest between sets
should have mentioned that in my previous post maybe

And then alternated so you end up with three sessions a week?
Shouldn’t the Hepburn reps be at 90% though?
Or maybe I am not considering the short pauses, that might make 90% too hard over 8 sets.
I just know I can hit 90% for multiple triples, but not with 2 minute pause only.

Well, I will try it, I guess. I’m stalled so whatever

>90%
RIP.

90% was for 5-10 singles, IIRC.

If you're attempting 8x2-3 at 90%, then start digging your grave now.

hate deadlifts, I can DOH my max deadlift and for some reason I pull move weight without a belt.

my body isnt made to lift w8s

Hepburn says to start at your 8rm initially, so that'd be 80%. 8x3 at 90% is impossible.

Hepburn reps start at 8 rm (~80%). RIP user

The belt probably interferes with your starting position. And if you can doh your max then you're either extremely weak or have a ridiculous grip